The Higher Education Megathread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Thanks buddy :wub: no point resubmitting to same journal. We’ll go elsewhere!

User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Mini E wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Cheers folks :wub:
It's been a strawberry floating tough couple of years but it feels good right now. Mini E - you're next up to join the GRCade Doctor club, good luck with the last stretch of yours! :D

Tomorrow I have a lunch with a former student's bereaved family who took his own life.

That student scenario is literally my worst nightmare - good on you for meeting the family, it sounds like you’re going the extra mile there and deserve your teaching award!



User avatar
Inga from Sweden
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Inga from Sweden » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Not sure where to post this, but this is from Roark stress and strain, elestic beams;

Image

Does anyone know how to derive the formula for the moments MA and MB?

Ive tried resolving moments about both ends and the load point, but end up with the same formula and 0=0.

I think i must be missing an equation?

EDIT: Solved. I posted this on an engineering forum and managed to get the solution before i seemed to get banned (maybe for the image?)

For those interested its a statically indeterminate problem, so you have to consider a cantilever and determine the slope at A with the load, then apply a moment at A without the load and get an expression for the slop at A, then superimpose the 2 cases and equate the slopes to zero.

Xbox Live: GCE
User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Silent Right » Wed May 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Has anyone ever written a publication plan?

I'm applying for some data and the organization is asking for one, and I have no idea how long it's supposed to be. They ask for it as part of a web form, so part of me thinks it should be very short, but other parts of the form have a 1000 character minimum, not this part though, so maybe it should be longer?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Silent Right » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:34 am

I have achieved Candidacy. :toot:

Also, I ended up getting that data that I mentioned in the post above. :toot: :toot:

Now I have a statistics question, I'm sure this is very basic but I just wanted to get your opinion.

I want to look at the variation of a variable in a population based on some different characteristics (for example variation in height for males vs. females, under 20 vs. over 20 etc). Would an independent sample t-test be the best for this or is there any other test I should look at?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:34 am

Rightey wrote:I have achieved Candidacy. :toot:

Also, I ended up getting that data that I mentioned in the post above. :toot: :toot:

Now I have a statistics question, I'm sure this is very basic but I just wanted to get your opinion.

I want to look at the variation of a variable in a population based on some different characteristics (for example variation in height for males vs. females, under 20 vs. over 20 etc). Would an independent sample t-test be the best for this or is there any other test I should look at?


an independent samples t-test will give you a p value to determine whether the two groups (male vs female) are statistically different in height I would think... but if you're looking at the variation of a variable, would just using standard deviations not be easier? I may have misunderstood your question :)

Congratulations on the candidacy!

User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Silent Right » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:42 am

Mini E wrote:
Rightey wrote:I have achieved Candidacy. :toot:

Also, I ended up getting that data that I mentioned in the post above. :toot: :toot:

Now I have a statistics question, I'm sure this is very basic but I just wanted to get your opinion.

I want to look at the variation of a variable in a population based on some different characteristics (for example variation in height for males vs. females, under 20 vs. over 20 etc). Would an independent sample t-test be the best for this or is there any other test I should look at?


an independent samples t-test will give you a p value to determine whether the two groups (male vs female) are statistically different in height I would think... but if you're looking at the variation of a variable, would just using standard deviations not be easier? I may have misunderstood your question :)

Congratulations on the candidacy!


Thanks!

Also, I thought using the t-test would be better as it will be able to tell me if the differences are statistically significant, no?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:11 am

Rightey wrote:
Mini E wrote:
Rightey wrote:I have achieved Candidacy. :toot:

Also, I ended up getting that data that I mentioned in the post above. :toot: :toot:

Now I have a statistics question, I'm sure this is very basic but I just wanted to get your opinion.

I want to look at the variation of a variable in a population based on some different characteristics (for example variation in height for males vs. females, under 20 vs. over 20 etc). Would an independent sample t-test be the best for this or is there any other test I should look at?


an independent samples t-test will give you a p value to determine whether the two groups (male vs female) are statistically different in height I would think... but if you're looking at the variation of a variable, would just using standard deviations not be easier? I may have misunderstood your question :)

Congratulations on the candidacy!


Thanks!

Also, I thought using the t-test would be better as it will be able to tell me if the differences are statistically significant, no?


Potentially use an independent t test for significance and Cohen’s effect sizes to demonstrate the size of the difference? You’ll get your sig. from the t test, yep.

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Karl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Been ridiculously busy with the Ph.D. over the last couple months. Right now it's almost 11 and I've only just left the office :lol: :cry:

User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 am

It's looking like work might be up for paying for me to do a degree. I've only been there 9 months so yay!

Asked the boss a while back about it as I was considering doing it myself and wanted to check there were no rules about it and turns out they may pay for it, is with HR right now for details.

Looking at this course

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62-soft

Any thoughts from people as uni is a whole new thing to me as I never went and what have you.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 am

Errkal wrote:It's looking like work might be up for paying for me to do a degree. I've only been there 9 months so yay!

Asked the boss a while back about it as I was considering doing it myself and wanted to check there were no rules about it and turns out they may pay for it, is with HR right now for details.

Looking at this course

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62-soft

Any thoughts from people as uni is a whole new thing to me as I never went and what have you.


I did degree with the OU and loved it. Some people feel a bit lonely doing the OU as most of your study is done at home by yourself and you need to self motivate. They do offer tutorials though so you can meet other people.

I think Staydead did that degree you linked to, I’d ask him for any specific advice on that course.

Qikz wrote:paging Staydead

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by jawafour » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:10 am

Karl wrote:Been ridiculously busy with the Ph.D. over the last couple months. Right now it's almost 11 and I've only just left the office :lol: :cry:

I've only just seen this... and things are adding up! Karl's current "time out" may be because he's got a lot on his plate at the mo'... I hope that the brain-expansion is going well, dude :-).

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:17 am

Also Karl - force yourself to take breaks, meet friends, go for walks etc. The temptation is to let the PhD become all consuming in the hope that you’ll finish it sooner - you won’t. There were people I consider among my best friends that I almost never spoke to during the last eighteen months of mine, and I wholly regret that now.

Image Image
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:21 am

^ This is true, breaks and opportunities to do something other than research and writing are hugely important - and at a certain point if you're depriving yourself of this too much then it starts to have a serious negative effect on your ability to do the work (not to mention the quality of that work!)

Although as a counterpoint I had a patch in the middle of my PhD where I was certainly too relaxed and could easily have been more disciplined with myself and so mine ended up taking approximately 8 years! :shifty:

ImageImage
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 am

I'm feeling similar to Karl at the moment. My paid PhD role ended on October 1st (3 years to complete and publish a PhD involving clinical research? good luck...) so as of next month I pay the University £100 per month. I have plenty of teaching here however - and this semester have the most teaching hours out of anyone in the Department with 182 contact hours in 12 weeks (plus the planning and marking for these modules). Essentially trying to do a full time job and a full time PhD has taken over my life even more than it had previously (I had around 100 hours last semester). I'm getting to the office at 07:30 at the moment, leaving at 19:30ish, eating, sleeping and returning and still falling further behind. Not ideal. No time with my new wife (which isn't overly popular) and a severe lack of social life.

On the plus side, my second PhD study (the one with hyper-acute stroke) has just been accepted in PLoS One (an open access medical journal). Impact factor is 2.7 which isn't too bad although compared to my first study which was published in an IF=4.5, feels like a bit of a drop. I presented at a health and wellbeing seminar a while ago and was approached afterwards by a group who were interested in me writing a book chapter - and we received a contract from Routledge last week so that seems to be happening.

Hopefully this will all be finished in six months or so :shifty:. Data collection wise, study 1 recruited 51, study 2 recruited 22, study 3 has recruited 13 out of a required 15, and study 4 has recruited 9 of a required 10. I'm so close :dread: but so far.


/rant

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Green Gecko » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Although I don't think it's an excuse for some things this does give me some perspective on what my dad had to go through to become a professor and then dean. I mean, I would probably not recommend having a family :lol:

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Mini E wrote:I'm feeling similar to Karl at the moment. My paid PhD role ended on October 1st (3 years to complete and publish a PhD involving clinical research? good luck...) so as of next month I pay the University £100 per month. I have plenty of teaching here however - and this semester have the most teaching hours out of anyone in the Department with 182 contact hours in 12 weeks (plus the planning and marking for these modules). Essentially trying to do a full time job and a full time PhD has taken over my life even more than it had previously (I had around 100 hours last semester). I'm getting to the office at 07:30 at the moment, leaving at 19:30ish, eating, sleeping and returning and still falling further behind. Not ideal. No time with my new wife (which isn't overly popular) and a severe lack of social life.


I feel your pain - and don’t do yourself down on the contact hours either, those 182 hours are doubled if not more when you put in the time to actually create the classes, mark the coursework, put in the time setting up and marking exams and so on. It’s tough as strawberry float.

But you’ll get through it, and by July you’ll (hopefully) be Dr. Minimum Effort. The experience you’re getting now with publications and teaching time will stand you in good stead for a job in academia when you finish, if that’s what you want, too.

If you ever need to vent about the shittiness of the whole thing, we’re here for you. We should form a GRCade doctoral support group. :lol:

Oh, and make sure you try and get an associate fellowship/fellowship with the HEA while you’re studying - it’s pretty much essential for academic jobs if you go for one when you finish.

On a totally different note, I’m having a bit of a wobble on academia today too. The problem I had was that my full time job wasn’t related to studies, so I wasn’t gaining experience that was relevant to my studies, and so now that I’m done I’m desperately trying to catch up on the presentation and publication experience that all my funded peers were able to get while they studied. While still working full time. :lol:

EDIT: BTW your username is now wildly inappropriate for the work you’re putting in. :lol:

Image Image
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Mini E » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Mini E wrote:I'm feeling similar to Karl at the moment. My paid PhD role ended on October 1st (3 years to complete and publish a PhD involving clinical research? good luck...) so as of next month I pay the University £100 per month. I have plenty of teaching here however - and this semester have the most teaching hours out of anyone in the Department with 182 contact hours in 12 weeks (plus the planning and marking for these modules). Essentially trying to do a full time job and a full time PhD has taken over my life even more than it had previously (I had around 100 hours last semester). I'm getting to the office at 07:30 at the moment, leaving at 19:30ish, eating, sleeping and returning and still falling further behind. Not ideal. No time with my new wife (which isn't overly popular) and a severe lack of social life.


I feel your pain - and don’t do yourself down on the contact hours either, those 182 hours are doubled if not more when you put in the time to actually create the classes, mark the coursework, put in the time setting up and marking exams and so on. It’s tough as strawberry float.

But you’ll get through it, and by July you’ll (hopefully) be Dr. Minimum Effort. The experience you’re getting now with publications and teaching time will stand you in good stead for a job in academia when you finish, if that’s what you want, too.

If you ever need to vent about the shittiness of the whole thing, we’re here for you. We should form a GRCade doctoral support group. :lol:

Oh, and make sure you try and get an associate fellowship/fellowship with the HEA while you’re studying - it’s pretty much essential for academic jobs if you go for one when you finish.

On a totally different note, I’m having a bit of a wobble on academia today too. The problem I had was that my full time job wasn’t related to studies, so I wasn’t gaining experience that was relevant to my studies, and so now that I’m done I’m desperately trying to catch up on the presentation and publication experience that all my funded peers were able to get while they studied. While still working full time. :lol:

EDIT: BTW your username is now wildly inappropriate for the work you’re putting in. :lol:


Thanks mate. I am a fellow of the HEA now - did the course during the first year of my PhD. It was a requirement of the PhD here but I was quite happy to get the qualification!

Crap to hear you're having a dodgy day too. It's just a bit of a slog for you now to get some (potentially unpaid) experience in there and to get some easy publications out there. I'm not sure if it's the same in your field but some relatively time-light options might include letters to the editor and methodological/protocol papers? Don't need to actually do any primary research for these and they'll bulk out that section of your CV a bit. In terms of presentations, just get yourself reg'd to a couple of conferences and present the same data in poster form but under a different title each time. Should add up quickly!

I think there's something in the air today. One of my full time PhD colleagues here just left the office pretty much in tears after finding out she has to pretty much start her third PhD study again as she had the EEG set up with the wrong settings :shifty: - her data-collection countdown sheet on the wall had got down to 145 sessions remaining but has popped back up to 177 as of this evening.

Re: my username... yeah... it's not entirely fitting any more :lol: My Mother was speaking to my wife about the ridiculous change in my outlook from someone who couldn't be arsed to do any work to someone who's (who's? whose?) life revolves around it 24/7 in the space of three years or so. Funny how these things happen :lol:

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Mini E wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Mini E wrote:I'm feeling similar to Karl at the moment. My paid PhD role ended on October 1st (3 years to complete and publish a PhD involving clinical research? good luck...) so as of next month I pay the University £100 per month. I have plenty of teaching here however - and this semester have the most teaching hours out of anyone in the Department with 182 contact hours in 12 weeks (plus the planning and marking for these modules). Essentially trying to do a full time job and a full time PhD has taken over my life even more than it had previously (I had around 100 hours last semester). I'm getting to the office at 07:30 at the moment, leaving at 19:30ish, eating, sleeping and returning and still falling further behind. Not ideal. No time with my new wife (which isn't overly popular) and a severe lack of social life.


I feel your pain - and don’t do yourself down on the contact hours either, those 182 hours are doubled if not more when you put in the time to actually create the classes, mark the coursework, put in the time setting up and marking exams and so on. It’s tough as strawberry float.

But you’ll get through it, and by July you’ll (hopefully) be Dr. Minimum Effort. The experience you’re getting now with publications and teaching time will stand you in good stead for a job in academia when you finish, if that’s what you want, too.

If you ever need to vent about the shittiness of the whole thing, we’re here for you. We should form a GRCade doctoral support group. :lol:

Oh, and make sure you try and get an associate fellowship/fellowship with the HEA while you’re studying - it’s pretty much essential for academic jobs if you go for one when you finish.

On a totally different note, I’m having a bit of a wobble on academia today too. The problem I had was that my full time job wasn’t related to studies, so I wasn’t gaining experience that was relevant to my studies, and so now that I’m done I’m desperately trying to catch up on the presentation and publication experience that all my funded peers were able to get while they studied. While still working full time. :lol:

EDIT: BTW your username is now wildly inappropriate for the work you’re putting in. :lol:


Thanks mate. I am a fellow of the HEA now - did the course during the first year of my PhD. It was a requirement of the PhD here but I was quite happy to get the qualification!

Crap to hear you're having a dodgy day too. It's just a bit of a slog for you now to get some (potentially unpaid) experience in there and to get some easy publications out there. I'm not sure if it's the same in your field but some relatively time-light options might include letters to the editor and methodological/protocol papers? Don't need to actually do any primary research for these and they'll bulk out that section of your CV a bit. In terms of presentations, just get yourself reg'd to a couple of conferences and present the same data in poster form but under a different title each time. Should add up quickly!

I think there's something in the air today. One of my full time PhD colleagues here just left the office pretty much in tears after finding out she has to pretty much start her third PhD study again as she had the EEG set up with the wrong settings :shifty: - her data-collection countdown sheet on the wall had got down to 145 sessions remaining but has popped back up to 177 as of this evening.

Re: my username... yeah... it's not entirely fitting any more :lol: My Mother was speaking to my wife about the ridiculous change in my outlook from someone who couldn't be arsed to do any work to someone who's (who's? whose?) life revolves around it 24/7 in the space of three years or so. Funny how these things happen :lol:


Ah you're lucky - the HEA isn't really a thing up here so we didn't have a Scooby-Doo what it was until recently, but every HEI in England needs at least a commitment to the qualification before they'll interview.

I was actually at the point a few months ago of offering to co-ordinate one of the courses that my uni can't run this year for free just for the experience - the guy who usually does it is on research leave for the whole year so they can't run their class. But it took me literally three months to organise a meeting with the people who sort out the courses(one of whom was my supervisor!) and the chance had already gone by the time I sat down with them.

Unfortunately methodological articles and things like that aren't as commonplace in the humanities, but I'm powering out stupid gooseberry fool like book reviews just to pad out the CV. My presenting is fairly strong - I'll be speaking at, I think, my eighth conference next month so I just need to make sure there's recent conference presentations on there, but I'm not even getting shortlisted for interviews in my subject at the moment. It's very frustrating. I hadn't thought of letters to the editor though - something to look into, thanks! :D

That is such a shitty experience for the girl you mentioned - thank strawberry float I never had to deal with anything like that or I'd probably have jacked the whole thing in. :dread:

Image Image
User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Silent Right » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:06 am

I really need to publish something myself, I'm in my 4th year and all I've done is present stuff with others, and now will be having a paper published as a co-author, but I've never actually done anything myself.

Also I want to present my work, but I'm worried it might get stolen as someone who worked in the same place I did wrote a paper that was very similar to my own work :x

How do you guys deal with that? Is it basically just publish first, and then present on things you already have out there?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: massimo and 60 guests