This is hip-hop.
This is not a place for ignorance, bigotry, racism or close-mindedness (although this is).
"Hip hop music, also called hip-hop, rap music or hip-hop music, is a musical genre consisting of a stylized rhythmic music that commonly accompanies rapping, a rhythmic and rhyming speech that is chanted. It developed as part of hip hop culture, a subculture defined by four key stylistic elements: MCing/rapping, DJing/scratching, breaking/dancing, and graffiti writing. Other elements include sampling (or synthesis), and beatboxing."
http://www.datpiff.com/ - great site for downloading mixtapes.
Chance the Rapper - 'Acid Rap' - free album, downloadable here
Team Teamwork is a Massachusetts-based solo producer who remixes tracks. Perhaps most notable for his excellent videogame themed tracks, he's also been involved with Dude Whatever It's Summer, two annual compilation albums of summertime songs (the 2010 album is definitely recommended) as well as The Good-Ass Remixes, where he takes the raps and beats of hip-hop artists and puts them to the music of alternative and indie tracks. Best of all, it's all free to download on his website!
Childish Gambino - the stage name of actor, screenwriter and stand-up comedian Donald Glover - has slowly been building his discography online by sampling all kinds of indie and alternative tracks, before eventually moving into his own original music, and while his debut label album is on sale, all his back catalogue is still available for nothing - Culdesac and EP are worth a listen (the rest is, in honesty, interesting only to chart his growth as an artist).
EL-P + KILLER MIKE - 'Run the Jewels' - download, for nowt, here.
Got any more to go in this bit? Post in the thread or PM me!
I hate hip-hop!
- if you like pop music there are so many different songs in the charts with hip-hop influences
- even the lead singers of pop-punk bands hang out with hip-hop producers
- if you like nu metal then Linkin Park and Jay-Z famously collaborated on an album remixing some of their famous tracks
- if you like indie or folk there are plenty of examples of prominent alternative musicians collaborating with famous hip-hop artists (or remixes done by fans), some of which are simply phenomenal
- electronic music is similarly well-represented with loads of hip-hop/dance/electro tracks around nowadays
- if you like reggae then I don't for a second believe you don't already like hip-hop
- those of you into classic rock should know that classic hip-hop doesn't fall far behind
- if you're more into your comedy than your music then there's something for you too
- even if you dislike music in general and are only on GRcade for the videogames, be it Zelda, Final Fantasy, Goldeneye or Retro Gaming, hip-hop has you covered.
Try some of the links - you might find something you like.