The Literature Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:I'm currently near the end of Shaman by Kim Stanley Robinson. A truly fantastic book, easily one of my favorites now, though I must say some of the terms used confused me, and made otherwise vivid descriptions of the world as it was 30-45,000 years ago harder to picture.

I really need to visit the Ardeche now.


I read his Mars books last year and enjoyed them even if they were a bit of a slog at times.

I might check that one out, a brief look at the synopsis makes it sound interesting.

Image
User avatar
TV Dinner
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by TV Dinner » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Poser wrote:I'm sort-of on the final stretch with Dark Tower. Just on Wind Through the Keyhole, with the final three books to go after that. Slipping back in with the gunslinger and his ka-tet feels like putting on an old glove.

Not sure where I'm going to go after this. I think I'll feel really sad when I've finished them all.

Do a complete genre switch and read James Ellroy's LA Quartet.

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Curls » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm

I've been reading One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest. It's good so far, really enjoying the whole story but not sure where it'll go.

I wonder if McMurthy will get the narrator to start talking??



Anyway books I've recently read

1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.

The Da Vinci Code - 7 / 10 - Not exactly a literature masterpiece but I enjoyed it and its a page turner, Ive never seen the films so it was all new to me too, althought Tom Hanks' image was ingrained to Langdon for me.

Guards Guards - 8/10 Pratchett really was a funny old genius wasn't he? The books are just so funny. I'm not always in the mood for the stories of the Discworld, but when you need some funny easy reading, then Pratchett got it spot on every time.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Curls wrote:
1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.


Is that a book called 1Q84 or is it a typo of 1984?

Because 1984 deserves a much much higher score.

Image
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Curls » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Moggy wrote:
Curls wrote:
1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.


Is that a book called 1Q84 or is it a typo of 1984?

Because 1984 deserves a much much higher score.


A book called 1Q84 by that Japanese dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Tomous » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 am

Curls wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Curls wrote:
1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.


Is that a book called 1Q84 or is it a typo of 1984?

Because 1984 deserves a much much higher score.


A book called 1Q84 by that Japanese dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84


Having read 1984 a month ago, you had me trying to remember if the sex stuff in it is weird :slol:

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Tomous » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:54 am

Asked for Stephen King recommendations a few pages back and ended up reading Salem's Lot and I really enjoyed it.

One thing I didn't understand though was:

Why did he reveal in the intro that Ben and Mark make it out and go to Mexico? I know he doesn't name them but it's obvious who survives later in the book and it completely ruined the tension in the final standoff against Barlow. The whole time I was thinking "well I know they get out of this okay because they're going to hang out in Mexico for awhile". If I hadn't known that, reading the scene would have been a much better experience in my opinion.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:29 am

Tomous wrote:
Curls wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Curls wrote:
1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.


Is that a book called 1Q84 or is it a typo of 1984?

Because 1984 deserves a much much higher score.


A book called 1Q84 by that Japanese dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84


Having read 1984 a month ago, you had me trying to remember if the sex stuff in it is weird :slol:


You don't think it counts as weird sex if your big brother watches you do it?

Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Rex Kramer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:18 am

Curls wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Curls wrote:
1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.


Is that a book called 1Q84 or is it a typo of 1984?

Because 1984 deserves a much much higher score.


A book called 1Q84 by that Japanese dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84

I've been meaning to get round to reading that having loved some of his other stuff. 5/10 doesn't sound good, are you generally a fan of Murakami?

Image
Current castaway: Rax can be found here. All the previous contributors can be found here.
Tackling the pile of shame part 2 - http://grview.grcade.co.uk/articles/the-7-commandments-of-tackling-the-pile-of-shame/
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Poser » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 am

Tomous wrote:Asked for Stephen King recommendations a few pages back and ended up reading Salem's Lot and I really enjoyed it.

One thing I didn't understand though was:

Why did he reveal in the intro that Ben and Mark make it out and go to Mexico? I know he doesn't name them but it's obvious who survives later in the book and it completely ruined the tension in the final standoff against Barlow. The whole time I was thinking "well I know they get out of this okay because they're going to hang out in Mexico for awhile". If I hadn't known that, reading the scene would have been a much better experience in my opinion.


Agreed, and I don't have an answer/explanation. I think he thought it was more subtle, perhaps?

Reminds me (in a way) of the end of Kill Bill. They reveal at the end of the first film that Bride's daughter is still alive. Totally ruins what would have been an utterly epic reveal at the end of the second film. Bride is utterly ruined when she finds out - and we could have shared that shock with her.

Image
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Poser » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 am

Sorry for constantly turning this in the Stephen King thread, but if anyone is interested in hearing his stuff discussed in much, much more depth, then Consequence of Sound is running a podcast that is going over his books in order. They are fans, and give the material due deference (they spend almost nine hours talking about Night Shift, for example :lol: ), but are also critical when necessary. I'm currently on the first of three episodes which look at The Stand.

The episodes are listed here, and presumably available wherever you usually get your podcasts from (pretty sure they're on iTunes).

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcasts ... sers-club/

It's not a perfect podcast - the girl's voice is a bit whiny, but she makes a lot of very good points and has an excellent perspective on most stuff. They also talk over each other a bit when they get excited. But I've been really enjoying it.

Image
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Curls » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
Curls wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Curls wrote:
1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.


Is that a book called 1Q84 or is it a typo of 1984?

Because 1984 deserves a much much higher score.


A book called 1Q84 by that Japanese dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84

I've been meaning to get round to reading that having loved some of his other stuff. 5/10 doesn't sound good, are you generally a fan of Murakami?



Never read him before....I liked the way he wrote a lot of the time, but The story just never seemed to go anywhere and some of the characters that he could have done a lot with were just a bit forgotten about.

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Curls » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 pm

I did read all 3 books though, and I don't regret reading them, so maybe 5/10 is a bit harsh.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 pm

I've started reading a 4 book series called Extinction Point by Paul Antony Jones and I'm just over half way through book one and so far it's great.
It's been on my kindle for years and I've only just got round to reading it and I'm glad I decided to give it a try and I highly recommend it if you like what starts out as a mystery of the red rain.
The book is pretty much all about one woman and so far she's (I've managed to forget her name even though I've literally just put the book down to type this :shifty: I think it may be Emily but yeah I'm just that gooseberry fool with names so reading the Game of Thrones novels was just me going who the strawberry float is this now :fp: ) been really interesting.

One big plus point for me is there's been no sexy time which I always approve of. Down with that sort of thing and careful now.
Image

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Rex Kramer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:16 am

Poser wrote:Sorry for constantly turning this in the Stephen King thread, but if anyone is interested in hearing his stuff discussed in much, much more depth, then Consequence of Sound is running a podcast that is going over his books in order. They are fans, and give the material due deference (they spend almost nine hours talking about Night Shift, for example :lol: ), but are also critical when necessary. I'm currently on the first of three episodes which look at The Stand.

The episodes are listed here, and presumably available wherever you usually get your podcasts from (pretty sure they're on iTunes).

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcasts ... sers-club/

It's not a perfect podcast - the girl's voice is a bit whiny, but she makes a lot of very good points and has an excellent perspective on most stuff. They also talk over each other a bit when they get excited. But I've been really enjoying it.

I had a listen to this and found it quite interesting. Only problem is I now see their point about King describing every single woman in his books by their tits. Started The Gunslinger again the other day and he does it in there too.

Image
Current castaway: Rax can be found here. All the previous contributors can be found here.
Tackling the pile of shame part 2 - http://grview.grcade.co.uk/articles/the-7-commandments-of-tackling-the-pile-of-shame/
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Poser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:33 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Poser wrote:Sorry for constantly turning this in the Stephen King thread, but if anyone is interested in hearing his stuff discussed in much, much more depth, then Consequence of Sound is running a podcast that is going over his books in order. They are fans, and give the material due deference (they spend almost nine hours talking about Night Shift, for example :lol: ), but are also critical when necessary. I'm currently on the first of three episodes which look at The Stand.

The episodes are listed here, and presumably available wherever you usually get your podcasts from (pretty sure they're on iTunes).

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcasts ... sers-club/

It's not a perfect podcast - the girl's voice is a bit whiny, but she makes a lot of very good points and has an excellent perspective on most stuff. They also talk over each other a bit when they get excited. But I've been really enjoying it.

I had a listen to this and found it quite interesting. Only problem is I now see their point about King describing every single woman in his books by their tits. Started The Gunslinger again the other day and he does it in there too.


:slol:

Yeah, it's a bit of an issue. I've just finished their Stand three-parter and found it generally pretty interesting. Sometimes I think over-analysis is irritating, but I think this is cool, especially as the material is so old. They do a decent job of judging it as being of its time, too.

Next episode is the Dead Zone, but I've not read it yet so will probably skip that one.

(DT update: now on Wolves of the Calla. Loving it so far...)

Image
User avatar
TV Dinner
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by TV Dinner » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Poser wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Poser wrote:Sorry for constantly turning this in the Stephen King thread, but if anyone is interested in hearing his stuff discussed in much, much more depth, then Consequence of Sound is running a podcast that is going over his books in order. They are fans, and give the material due deference (they spend almost nine hours talking about Night Shift, for example :lol: ), but are also critical when necessary. I'm currently on the first of three episodes which look at The Stand.

The episodes are listed here, and presumably available wherever you usually get your podcasts from (pretty sure they're on iTunes).

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcasts ... sers-club/

It's not a perfect podcast - the girl's voice is a bit whiny, but she makes a lot of very good points and has an excellent perspective on most stuff. They also talk over each other a bit when they get excited. But I've been really enjoying it.

I had a listen to this and found it quite interesting. Only problem is I now see their point about King describing every single woman in his books by their tits. Started The Gunslinger again the other day and he does it in there too.


:slol:

Yeah, it's a bit of an issue. I've just finished their Stand three-parter and found it generally pretty interesting. Sometimes I think over-analysis is irritating, but I think this is cool, especially as the material is so old. They do a decent job of judging it as being of its time, too.

Next episode is the Dead Zone, but I've not read it yet so will probably skip that one.

(DT update: now on Wolves of the Calla. Loving it so far...)


What did you think of Wind Through the Keyhole?

User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Poser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Memento Mori wrote:
What did you think of Wind Through the Keyhole?


Loved it! Didn't want it to end, in fact. I like the 'young Roland' stuff a lot.

Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by lex-man » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Curls wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Curls wrote:
1Q84 - This was an interesting read, but when I look back on it, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, there was a lot of potential for these characters, but it never really developed, and the sex stuff in it was just weird at times. 5/10 Whilst I was actually reading through it though I may have been inclined to give it something of a higher rank.


Is that a book called 1Q84 or is it a typo of 1984?

Because 1984 deserves a much much higher score.


A book called 1Q84 by that Japanese dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84


Having read 1984 a month ago, you had me trying to remember if the sex stuff in it is weird :slol:


You don't think it counts as weird sex if your big brother watches you do it?


What if he's just listening?

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Literature Thread
by Tomous » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Just finished Into Thin Air. I find Everest fascinating and love the recent film on the 96 disaster so I've been meaning to read this for awhile. Thought it was extremely well written and really couldn't put it down for 2 days. I know there was a lot of controversy around some of the opinions he put forward so I tried not to take everything as gospel. Has anyone read The Climb? I'm interested to read the counter view.


Return to “Stuff”