The Money Thread...

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Lagamorph » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:44 am

Might have to open an account or two with Tesco then. I was going to open a new ISA but it sounds like the Tesco accounts are going to be way better.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Hime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Apologies if this isn't the point of the thread but I'm hoping this can be used as a money saving thread too :shifty:

I'm at a p6int with my TV and broadband that after having good initial deals they've now crept back up to around ) £100 p/m. I have amazon prime, Netflix, Sky (everything other than Sky Q) and BT sports as TV packages and BT fibre unlimited as my broadband. Any suggestions for getting a better deal? Should I very TV and broadband with one company to make it worry to cancel and move on at the end of a contract?

I should point out that while I would be fine using on demand services my girlfriend likes storing TV programmes.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Grumpy David » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Just pirate everything, stop watching live sports. Then all you need is unlimited fibre broadband.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Hime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:05 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Just pirate everything, stop watching live sports. Then all you need is unlimited fibre broadband.

Not a great solution.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Grumpy David » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Hime wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Just pirate everything, stop watching live sports. Then all you need is unlimited fibre broadband.

Not a great solution.


There are live sports streaming websites in good enough quality if you insist on watching live sports.

Sky prices are a rip off even without sports.

Although I heard on the radio there is a sky black Friday deal for existing customers that's got cheaper prices.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Hime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Just called Sky and they offered me a massive discount without even trying very hard.

Makes £60 for broadband (inc line rental) seem ridiculous.

Image
User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by sawyerpip » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:30 pm

If you're willing to go without tv for a few months it's easy to get a good deal with Sky. I cancelled in August and have been getting increasingly better offers by email since then. The last two I received were 65% off all packages and no contract, or 75% off with a 12 month contract.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by That's not a growth » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:56 am

I'm trying to figure out the best bank to change to since it's a bit silly I'm using one I have to pay for. It seems a lot are changing their interest rates in Jan. I assume this mean if you get an account now your rate would change then, rather than meaning I should get one of these accounts now to 'lock in' the current rate? Also, in general, what's the minimum you should have an account before changing? Some have a certain rate for only a year, and I'm wonder if it's worth considering these, or would changing again after only one year cause any issues?

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Knoyleo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:07 pm

Guys, I'm unsure which of the two money offering threads will be the most sound investment.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by That's not a growth » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:00 pm

OK, looking into it, it seems I've got 2 options. This is just for the first 12 months.

(This is considering the amount of money I'l have over the year, which is why I'm not considering something like Santander since that's only worth it if you have £10k which I don't. Also, I already have a Help to Buy ISA which I'm already paying £200 a month into.)

1) TSB. £100 Switching bonus. £5% cashback on contactless on first £100 (until Sept). Interest 3% on £1,500.
If I don't use the contactless, which I wont that much, I'll come out with about £144. With the contactless I can get up to about £189.

2) Nationwide. 5% interest £2,500 (1 year only). If referred both get £100.
Without referral, £114, with £214.

Am I missing anything?

Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Glowy69 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:37 pm

That's not a growth wrote:OK, looking into it, it seems I've got 2 options. This is just for the first 12 months.

(This is considering the amount of money I'l have over the year, which is why I'm not considering something like Santander since that's only worth it if you have £10k which I don't. Also, I already have a Help to Buy ISA which I'm already paying £200 a month into.)

1) TSB. £100 Switching bonus. £5% cashback on contactless on first £100 (until Sept). Interest 3% on £1,500.
If I don't use the contactless, which I wont that much, I'll come out with about £144. With the contactless I can get up to about £189.

2) Nationwide. 5% interest £2,500 (1 year only). If referred both get £100.
Without referral, £114, with £214.

Am I missing anything?


Are you going to have household bills on either of these accounts?

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by That's not a growth » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Nope.

Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Glowy69 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Then carry on.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
bigcheez2k3
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by bigcheez2k3 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:13 pm

I have both and have had no problems with either. Nationwide still do, I believe, a 5% regular saver if you are wanting to save any extra after your H2B.

And if you need a referral ahem :shifty:

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:


I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by That's not a growth » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:27 pm

What I think I'll do is get the TSB one first, since I can almost fill that one already, then later in the year I'll get the Nationwide one also once I have enough to fill that too. I'll just be sure to keep on eye on it to see if they announce lowering the rate. I'll be sure to get a referral off you then, mate. Probably late summer.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Errkal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Egg Knog wrote:Guys, I'm unsure which of the two money offering threads will be the most sound investment.


I think you should post in both and hedge your bets.

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Curls » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi guys.

So Lifetime Isa is coming in a few weeks

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs


The article above explains the jist of it....it's similar to a help to buy ISA except you can put in a lump sum, and you can get your 25% government bonus on the deposit of potentially a larger house (up to a house price of£450,000, help to buy is £250,000)

If you're a first time buyer and are DEFINITELY planning to buy a house then it's a no-brainer to get one, even if you're not planning on buying for 4 or 5 years, it's probably worth opening one.

However there looks to be one slight problem for the immediate future...not many banks are currently offering one on release....at the moment I think the only major banks considering it are Haifax, HSBC and Lloyds.

So if there is anyone who works for any of the banks and gets any inside knowledge over the next few weeks, then do let us know?

I'd imagine that as the scheme settles down, more major banks will offer the Lifetime ISA.

You can also use it as a pension fund.....but I think for most people, a normal workplace pension is the more viable option.

User avatar
bigcheez2k3
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by bigcheez2k3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:35 pm

I haven't heard of any banks yet that are offering it but it will be available in an S&S ISA form too I believe which is what I'll be going for.

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:


I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by Curls » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 pm

bigcheez2k3 wrote:I haven't heard of any banks yet that are offering it but it will be available in an S&S ISA form too I believe which is what I'll be going for.



I've never really worked with a S and S ISA...they scare me a bit, but maybe I should look into one, as I'm constantly searching for new ways to invest my money? Ive tried reading the articles on MSE but I still struggle to grasp how savvy you need to be with them.

User avatar
bigcheez2k3
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Money Thread...
by bigcheez2k3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Curls wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:I haven't heard of any banks yet that are offering it but it will be available in an S&S ISA form too I believe which is what I'll be going for.



I've never really worked with a S and S ISA...they scare me a bit, but maybe I should look into one, as I'm constantly searching for new ways to invest my money? Ive tried reading the articles on MSE but I still struggle to grasp how savvy you need to be with them.


It's a long term investment and it does have the risk of losing money but over a period of 5+ years it should give a good return. I'm saving for a house and as I live in London I need a large deposit so I use it because it'll probably be 5+ years before I have enough anyway.

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:


I didded a youtube thing Clicky!

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Senor_Coconut, smurphy, Snowcannon, tolrag and 58 guests