The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm

One of the best times is when you stop getting the pain so bad.

I don't know if it's the same for everyone but I always find that despite stretching if I get the post workout pain it doesn't go until I workout again.

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 am

Three Peaks completed! Started Ben Nevis at 5pm, Scaffell Pike at 4am and Snowdon at ~1pm. Beautiful views but a tough 24 hours. Slightly stiff this morning (phrasing).

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by That's not a growth » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 am

Bloody hell, nice one!

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Gorgeous views Mini E, well done!

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by That's not a growth » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:51 am

I've been back at things more seriously for the last 8 weeks, built up a decent amount of the strength I lost and while I've lost no weight I have lost some fat so I'm happy about that. I was thinking about getting a bit more strict with my diet for the next 9 weeks, at which point I have a race, but the world cup is really getting in the way of that. :shifty:

Oh well, I work out to improve my life, not for it to be my life. At least I'm still working out most of my intended seasons.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks to Facebook Memories, i saw that this month marks 6 years since i first made the effort to get off the sofa and get fit. And its still one of the best decisions i ever made. Since June 2012 ive done a shitload of stuff, from general weight training, to HIIT, Ran 10k's, dabbled in MMA, BJJ and Judo, done TRX classes, Kettlebell classes, and im still on the lookout for new gooseberry fool to do :D I realized recently that im 100% addicted to fitness. Like i couldn't give up the gym if i tried. I still struggle with being a lazy gooseberry fool and wanting to stay at home and eat cake and play videogames instead of gymming but most days the gym wins out. Im a year and a half away from 40 and i swear to god i look and feel better physically and mentally than i did at 20. So heres to another 6 years of brogress with you dudes

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Brerlappin wrote:Thanks to Facebook Memories, i saw that this month marks 6 years since i first made the effort to get off the sofa and get fit. And its still one of the best decisions i ever made. Since June 2012 ive done a shitload of stuff, from general weight training, to HIIT, Ran 10k's, dabbled in MMA, BJJ and Judo, done TRX classes, Kettlebell classes, and im still on the lookout for new gooseberry fool to do :D I realized recently that im 100% addicted to fitness. Like i couldn't give up the gym if i tried. I still struggle with being a lazy gooseberry fool and wanting to stay at home and eat cake and play videogames instead of gymming but most days the gym wins out. Im a year and a half away from 40 and i swear to god i look and feel better physically and mentally than i did at 20. So heres to another 6 years of brogress with you dudes

Nice work man. I had something similar when my girlfriend got a Facebook memory of a wedding in Greece three years ago and age said she can't believe how different I look now. Not that I was ever really overweight but I did let myself slip after being very fit in my teens and 20's. I really miss martial arts, my teenage years were all about Tang Soo Do (Basically Tae Kwon Do) and late teens early twenties I changed to Muay Thai. Are you still doing BJJ?

Do you ever find that when you have one of these days when you feel knackered and can't be arsed that you end up with a new PB when you go to the gym?

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:12 pm

We need to start this thread again really. It's very old and is one of the last remaining front pagers to jump several posts back when using the 'most recent post' button.

Obviously I'm too lazy (not to mention currently far too gooseberry fool at health & fitness) to do it myself.

Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Lotus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Where's Shime Waza when you need him. :(

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Thanks to Facebook Memories, i saw that this month marks 6 years since i first made the effort to get off the sofa and get fit. And its still one of the best decisions i ever made. Since June 2012 ive done a shitload of stuff, from general weight training, to HIIT, Ran 10k's, dabbled in MMA, BJJ and Judo, done TRX classes, Kettlebell classes, and im still on the lookout for new gooseberry fool to do :D I realized recently that im 100% addicted to fitness. Like i couldn't give up the gym if i tried. I still struggle with being a lazy gooseberry fool and wanting to stay at home and eat cake and play videogames instead of gymming but most days the gym wins out. Im a year and a half away from 40 and i swear to god i look and feel better physically and mentally than i did at 20. So heres to another 6 years of brogress with you dudes

Nice work man. I had something similar when my girlfriend got a Facebook memory of a wedding in Greece three years ago and age said she can't believe how different I look now. Not that I was ever really overweight but I did let myself slip after being very fit in my teens and 20's. I really miss martial arts, my teenage years were all about Tang Soo Do (Basically Tae Kwon Do) and late teens early twenties I changed to Muay Thai. Are you still doing BJJ?

Do you ever find that when you have one of these days when you feel knackered and can't be arsed that you end up with a new PB when you go to the gym?


At the moment, no. It jsut got a bit too expensive for me, thats why i went looking at Judo recently as its like 1980s style pricing. 7 quid a class as opposed to a monthly fee of 90-100 euro for BJJ. But i do hope to go back eventually when i can afford it. Do you still do MT at all?

Definitely get that about hitting PB's on the days when you're just "ugh" about training too. Its a great feeling!

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Thanks to Facebook Memories, i saw that this month marks 6 years since i first made the effort to get off the sofa and get fit. And its still one of the best decisions i ever made. Since June 2012 ive done a shitload of stuff, from general weight training, to HIIT, Ran 10k's, dabbled in MMA, BJJ and Judo, done TRX classes, Kettlebell classes, and im still on the lookout for new gooseberry fool to do :D I realized recently that im 100% addicted to fitness. Like i couldn't give up the gym if i tried. I still struggle with being a lazy gooseberry fool and wanting to stay at home and eat cake and play videogames instead of gymming but most days the gym wins out. Im a year and a half away from 40 and i swear to god i look and feel better physically and mentally than i did at 20. So heres to another 6 years of brogress with you dudes

Nice work man. I had something similar when my girlfriend got a Facebook memory of a wedding in Greece three years ago and age said she can't believe how different I look now. Not that I was ever really overweight but I did let myself slip after being very fit in my teens and 20's. I really miss martial arts, my teenage years were all about Tang Soo Do (Basically Tae Kwon Do) and late teens early twenties I changed to Muay Thai. Are you still doing BJJ?

Do you ever find that when you have one of these days when you feel knackered and can't be arsed that you end up with a new PB when you go to the gym?


At the moment, no. It jsut got a bit too expensive for me, thats why i went looking at Judo recently as its like 1980s style pricing. 7 quid a class as opposed to a monthly fee of 90-100 euro for BJJ. But i do hope to go back eventually when i can afford it. Do you still do MT at all?

Definitely get that about hitting PB's on the days when you're just "ugh" about training too. Its a great feeling!

Are you just doing normal gym training then? I can't believe BJJ is that expensive, how are kids supposed to get into it? Nah I haven't trained in MT for probably a decade now, my career took over and I work shifts now which makes sticking a constant routine very difficult.

To be honest I've really taken to resistance training, I promised myself I wouldn't get too obsessed but 6 months later I'm constantly reading articles and watching videos. I enjoyed internal training but I'm not sure my body can take the punishment, with weight training I feel I'm constantly getting stronger and old injuries are actually improving.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:09 am

Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Thanks to Facebook Memories, i saw that this month marks 6 years since i first made the effort to get off the sofa and get fit. And its still one of the best decisions i ever made. Since June 2012 ive done a shitload of stuff, from general weight training, to HIIT, Ran 10k's, dabbled in MMA, BJJ and Judo, done TRX classes, Kettlebell classes, and im still on the lookout for new gooseberry fool to do :D I realized recently that im 100% addicted to fitness. Like i couldn't give up the gym if i tried. I still struggle with being a lazy gooseberry fool and wanting to stay at home and eat cake and play videogames instead of gymming but most days the gym wins out. Im a year and a half away from 40 and i swear to god i look and feel better physically and mentally than i did at 20. So heres to another 6 years of brogress with you dudes

Nice work man. I had something similar when my girlfriend got a Facebook memory of a wedding in Greece three years ago and age said she can't believe how different I look now. Not that I was ever really overweight but I did let myself slip after being very fit in my teens and 20's. I really miss martial arts, my teenage years were all about Tang Soo Do (Basically Tae Kwon Do) and late teens early twenties I changed to Muay Thai. Are you still doing BJJ?

Do you ever find that when you have one of these days when you feel knackered and can't be arsed that you end up with a new PB when you go to the gym?


At the moment, no. It jsut got a bit too expensive for me, thats why i went looking at Judo recently as its like 1980s style pricing. 7 quid a class as opposed to a monthly fee of 90-100 euro for BJJ. But i do hope to go back eventually when i can afford it. Do you still do MT at all?

Definitely get that about hitting PB's on the days when you're just "ugh" about training too. Its a great feeling!

Are you just doing normal gym training then? I can't believe BJJ is that expensive, how are kids supposed to get into it? Nah I haven't trained in MT for probably a decade now, my career took over and I work shifts now which makes sticking a constant routine very difficult.

To be honest I've really taken to resistance training, I promised myself I wouldn't get too obsessed but 6 months later I'm constantly reading articles and watching videos. I enjoyed internal training but I'm not sure my body can take the punishment, with weight training I feel I'm constantly getting stronger and old injuries are actually improving.


Just regular gym for now yeah. Aye BJJ is the new hotness thanks to UFC & MMA so gyms absolutely charge a premium for membership, its a bummer. I might go back and do some more Judo soon tho. Ill see how it goes. I was initially put off by how old the instructor is, but it turns out he actually trained with the very first students of Jigoro Kano (the guy who invented Judo!) so it would be nuts to turn down a chance to train with someone with a lineage like that.

Whats involved in resistance training? Ive not heard much about it.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:04 am

Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Thanks to Facebook Memories, i saw that this month marks 6 years since i first made the effort to get off the sofa and get fit. And its still one of the best decisions i ever made. Since June 2012 ive done a shitload of stuff, from general weight training, to HIIT, Ran 10k's, dabbled in MMA, BJJ and Judo, done TRX classes, Kettlebell classes, and im still on the lookout for new gooseberry fool to do :D I realized recently that im 100% addicted to fitness. Like i couldn't give up the gym if i tried. I still struggle with being a lazy gooseberry fool and wanting to stay at home and eat cake and play videogames instead of gymming but most days the gym wins out. Im a year and a half away from 40 and i swear to god i look and feel better physically and mentally than i did at 20. So heres to another 6 years of brogress with you dudes

Nice work man. I had something similar when my girlfriend got a Facebook memory of a wedding in Greece three years ago and age said she can't believe how different I look now. Not that I was ever really overweight but I did let myself slip after being very fit in my teens and 20's. I really miss martial arts, my teenage years were all about Tang Soo Do (Basically Tae Kwon Do) and late teens early twenties I changed to Muay Thai. Are you still doing BJJ?

Do you ever find that when you have one of these days when you feel knackered and can't be arsed that you end up with a new PB when you go to the gym?


At the moment, no. It jsut got a bit too expensive for me, thats why i went looking at Judo recently as its like 1980s style pricing. 7 quid a class as opposed to a monthly fee of 90-100 euro for BJJ. But i do hope to go back eventually when i can afford it. Do you still do MT at all?

Definitely get that about hitting PB's on the days when you're just "ugh" about training too. Its a great feeling!

Are you just doing normal gym training then? I can't believe BJJ is that expensive, how are kids supposed to get into it? Nah I haven't trained in MT for probably a decade now, my career took over and I work shifts now which makes sticking a constant routine very difficult.

To be honest I've really taken to resistance training, I promised myself I wouldn't get too obsessed but 6 months later I'm constantly reading articles and watching videos. I enjoyed internal training but I'm not sure my body can take the punishment, with weight training I feel I'm constantly getting stronger and old injuries are actually improving.


Just regular gym for now yeah. Aye BJJ is the new hotness thanks to UFC & MMA so gyms absolutely charge a premium for membership, its a bummer. I might go back and do some more Judo soon tho. Ill see how it goes. I was initially put off by how old the instructor is, but it turns out he actually trained with the very first students of Jigoro Kano (the guy who invented Judo!) so it would be nuts to turn down a chance to train with someone with a lineage like that.

Whats involved in resistance training? Ive not heard much about it.

That's a bit gooseberry fool for a martial art to try and profit from the popularity of MMA. Do you even need much equipment to train? MT was very cheap considering the amount of equipment the club provided, this could be different now as I assume MT has also increased in popularity as it's pretty much what everyone uses in UFC isn't it? That's cool, I love stuff like that and like you say you should take the chance to train with someone like that. Excuse my ignorance but do you think Judo has any practical applications in actual fighting be it sport or self defence? I don't think I would train in anything other than MMA or the martial arts associated with them these days. A BJJ instructor has just started training at a gym near me so I'm definitely tempted to give it a go.

I just mean weight lifting when I say resistance training. Three training programme I'm doing has turned deadlifts from the thing I hated doing to my favourite exercise. I reckon I'll be up to 90-100Kg in the next couple of months which I know isn't particularly heavy but because I've had some lower back issues I've just concentrated on form with low weight and just built it up every week.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:10 am

Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:That's a bit gooseberry fool for a martial art to try and profit from the popularity of MMA. Do you even need much equipment to train? MT was very cheap considering the amount of equipment the club provided, this could be different now as I assume MT has also increased in popularity as it's pretty much what everyone uses in UFC isn't it? That's cool, I love stuff like that and like you say you should take the chance to train with someone like that. Excuse my ignorance but do you think Judo has any practical applications in actual fighting be it sport or self defence? I don't think I would train in anything other than MMA or the martial arts associated with them these days. A BJJ instructor has just started training at a gym near me so I'm definitely tempted to give it a go.

I just mean weight lifting when I say resistance training. Three training programme I'm doing has turned deadlifts from the thing I hated doing to my favourite exercise. I reckon I'll be up to 90-100Kg in the next couple of months which I know isn't particularly heavy but because I've had some lower back issues I've just concentrated on form with low weight and just built it up every week.


Yeah its something you realize after shopping around a few gyms (i trained a t 2 separate gyms), but a lot of BJJ gyms now are essentially money making franchises, places like Gracie Barra, yes youll still get good training there but theyre all about selling you a lifestyle, trying to get you to sign up for like 1 year contracts right off the bat. As for expenses, some gyms will make you pay for their club branded Gi (70 euro in my first gym), and if they're really bad, they'll force you to buy a club rashguard (the compression shirt you wear under your Gi) too, which will run you another 30 or 40 euro. So if you were interested in starting definitely shop around for your first gym and never ever sign any kind of 1 year contract. I was so happy when i found my second gym, no mandatory club Gi, no mandatory rashguard, and a way more relaxed atmosphere. And yeah Judo is 100% legitimate for real world application, in terms of the kinda tentpole martial arts used in MMA, youve got BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing/Muay Thai and Judo would be the ones youd benefit the most from having a background in. I mean look at Ronda Rousey, she was an olympic Judoka with gooseberry fool tier boxing and she annihilated an entire division of female fighters just using Judo :lol:
I was actually looking at MT gyms here yesterday too, theyre expensive alright. Average of about 60 euro per month. But id just like to do the training, im not up for getting actually punched/elbowed in the face! One thing i found out fast when i was in an MMA gym, i hate getting punched :lol:

Ah okay i get you, yeah man DL'ing 100kgs is definitely nothing to be sniffed at! I did 100kgs last night and was delighted with it :D

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Knoyleo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:22 am

I remember deadlifting 100kg for the first time. It felt amazing. The next session, I went in and put 102.5kg on the bar for that incremental next step, and it felt easy. Then I got cocky, decided to jump up to 105kg, and nearly blacked out. :lol:

Speaking of martial arts training, now I'm in my new place, with a garage that has space, I'm buying a wall bracket and a heavy bag, so I can get back to doing some MT drills. I really miss bag/pad work, but the gyms are so expensive.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 am

My DL is the lift ive probably made the least progress with. It seems liek every time i get to 110kg, ill miss a week, then do a deload week instead of jumping back in at 110 so i drop it back down to 100, work back up to 110, and the cycle repeats. I think 110kg is the most ive done on a DL :( Id love to have a heavy bag somewhere i could use. They had one in my regular gym and it was great, but then everyone started trying to strawberry floatin Ninja it with spinning 360 inverted spinning bird kicks and they got rid of it

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:06 am

I was the opposite to you in that I don't mind being hit and like hitting other people but joints locks can strawberry float right off :lol:

It's interesting you guys talk about hitting a ceiling, I've been trying to find out if there is an optimal point you reach that actually increasing the weight will see minimal gains without drastically increasing your calorie intake and you actually increase the risk of injury. I mean you can't just keep increasing the weight can you? I guess if you want to look like Dwayne Johnson you don't have a choice but I would have thought most mere mortals don't have the time to train and prepare all that food.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:18 am

Hime wrote:I was the opposite to you in that I don't mind being hit and like hitting other people but joints locks can strawberry float right off :lol:

It's interesting you guys talk about hitting a ceiling, I've been trying to find out if there is an optimal point you reach that actually increasing the weight will see minimal gains without drastically increasing your calorie intake and you actually increase the risk of injury. I mean you can't just keep increasing the weight can you? I guess if you want to look like Dwayne Johnson you don't have a choice but I would have thought most mere mortals don't have the time to train and prepare all that food.


Im afraid i have bad news for you about BJJ in that case.. :lol:

But yeah i wonder about hitting a cieling too. Like the max ive ever squatted was 142.5KG, and honestly, i dont think i can ever top that. I really dont see myself being able to add much more on top of that without killing myself no matter how long im lifting for

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saint of Killers » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Brerlappin wrote:Thanks to Facebook Memories, i saw that this month marks 6 years since i first made the effort to get off the sofa and get fit. And its still one of the best decisions i ever made. Since June 2012 ive done a shitload of stuff, from general weight training, to HIIT, Ran 10k's, dabbled in MMA, BJJ and Judo, done TRX classes, Kettlebell classes, and im still on the lookout for new gooseberry fool to do :D I realized recently that im 100% addicted to fitness. Like i couldn't give up the gym if i tried. I still struggle with being a lazy gooseberry fool and wanting to stay at home and eat cake and play videogames instead of gymming but most days the gym wins out. Im a year and a half away from 40 and i swear to god i look and feel better physically and mentally than i did at 20. So heres to another 6 years of brogress with you dudes


Go Brer go! Ta for all the motivation (same goes to everyone else who posts in here), and here's to many more years of sweating our balls off and not caring because we're drowning in a post-workout high.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Out of curiosity what do you guys have any lifts that you really struggle with? I've found that for all the progress I've made, my overhead press has remained pretty static. Seated over head press in particular I find very difficult. The most I've managed with seated overhead press is 20kg dumbbells but I messed my shoulders up a bit with some crappy form chest press and I've really struggled to build it back up.The wierd thing is that my shoulders are actually pretty well defined.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Blue Eyes, chanticleer, Denster, Heskimo, KK, Rax, Return_of_the_STAR, RichardUK, satriales, TonyDA, Vermilion and 60 guests