The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Knoyleo wrote:It's here! (ignore the typo)



Nice! Now upload a video of you doing some terrible shadowboxing to keep with this pages theme :lol:

deathofcows
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by deathofcows » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Hime wrote:
deathofcows wrote:Decided that I'd lose my recent weight gain (about 79kg when recently was around 74-75) and aim to beat my best 5K Parkrun time of 20:27. Decided I'd do whatever I needed to get close to 70kg in an attempt to get a sub-20 run time.

Then I got sub-20 anyway last Saturday! 19:47 whoop! Eating and fatness for the win whoop! :toot:

I'll aim for 19 :D

Well done mate. 70Kg seems really light but I guess that must help with distance running.


Maybe a bit ambitious tbh... (And skinnier than my 5'10 frame will happily accept!)

User avatar
souljahsstory
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by souljahsstory » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 am

Hime wrote:I don't know enough about it too say for sure but I'd imagine a vegan diet wouldn't help weight lifting if you're looking to build muscle.


Not really. There's protein to be found in all sorts of plant based food. And there's guys out there who swear by it. The hardest part is managing the macro split in a calorie deficit. I think it's easier when you're in a surplus. I have found that vegan protein powder plays less havoc on my bowels and feel alot less heavy and bloated taking it for example.

Rocsteady wrote:Fair enough, come to think of it I think in tiredness I’d messed up the conversion to stones, still a hell of a lot of weight to lose that fast. Good work.

Why do you keep getting injured? Weight lifting injuries should be very rare.


I'm putting it down to old age and injuries. Over the years i've torn my right knee, whilst that was strawberry floated the left leg was taking all the weight and i tore the ligaments in my left ankle on some ice once along with other stuff. Recently i've torn, pulled something in my left bicep/forearm area which was seriously frustrating.

Saint of Killers wrote:
I was watching some Athleane X stuff and something along these lines came up. While the core of the video isn't about injury prevention he does mention it as part of one of the routines. Check it out below.





Thank you i'll check it out!

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 pm

I tried to cut down on meat for a while, heavy sport and bodybuilding's a ducking nightmare with minimal meat. Yeah some people swear by it but they’re few and far between, and generally dedicate their life to exercise. To reach the pinnacle of what you’re capable of is incredibly difficult without meat ime.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Finally decided to wear it out in public. :slol:

Image


I actually think I neglect dedicated isolation exercises for the arms. Tend to focus on the big compound lifts and doing lots of pull ups.

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Just read the book bigger, leaner and stronger by Michael Matthew. I have reached a plateau in the gym for years so hoping to seriously bulk up a step further.
Eating more is the hardest thing I find so decided to try a mass gainer. Reviews on Amazon sound good with gains off 4-5kg per month!

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Finally decided to wear it out in public. :slol:

Image


I actually think I neglect dedicated isolation exercises for the arms. Tend to focus on the big compound lifts and doing lots of pull ups.


Nice tank! The font and style reminds me of the Grindr app lol

User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:52 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Finally decided to wear it out in public. :slol:

Image


I actually think I neglect dedicated isolation exercises for the arms. Tend to focus on the big compound lifts and doing lots of pull ups.


Nice tank! The font and style reminds me of the Grindr app lol


:fp:

Image

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Grumpy David wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Finally decided to wear it out in public. :slol:

Image


I actually think I neglect dedicated isolation exercises for the arms. Tend to focus on the big compound lifts and doing lots of pull ups.


Nice tank! The font and style reminds me of the Grindr app lol


:fp:

Image

Ahh got mixed up :fp: with the orange and black colour scheme. Is that you in the pic? Nice arms! I've been focusing on isolation exercises too recently along with the regular compound ones and have noticed a difference.
Image

User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:31 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote: Is that you in the pic? Nice arms! I've been focusing on isolation exercises too recently along with the regular compound ones and have noticed a difference.


Nah, it's a completely random dude.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:12 pm

I thought I hit my goal today of a 100Kg deadlift but I had a word with one of the PT's and turns out I hadn't calculated the bar properly so I actually hit my goal last week and lifted 100Kg deadlift last week :toot:

Did 2x3 100Kg and 3x3 110Kg which felt awesome immediately followed by feeling a bit wooly headed and the desire to go fetal. Chuffed with that considering I could barely deadlift 30Kg at the start of the year.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Hime wrote:I thought I hit my goal today of a 100Kg deadlift but I had a word with one of the PT's and turns out I hadn't calculated the bar properly so I actually hit my goal last week and lifted 100Kg deadlift last week :toot:

Did 2x3 100Kg and 3x3 110Kg which felt awesome immediately followed by feeling a bit wooly headed and the desire to go fetal. Chuffed with that considering I could barely deadlift 30Kg at the start of the year.


Nice one dude! Feels good when that happens. It happened to me last week, I was doing 127.5kg squat, and I was wondering why I was struggling and it felt so much heavier, until I realized I miscalculated the plates and was actually doing 137.5 :lol:

Ive finally made progress with my bench and my OHP but now my wrist is acting up again so I might have to stop for a while. Did 45kg 5x5 on the OHP, and 62.5kg BP 5x5. I was pretty happy with that but then my wrist really started hurting. I decided to just do cardio yesterday and give my wrist a rest, but I drank a whopping THREE bottles of strawberry floating miller the night beforehand, and after 20 minutes of work, my head was spinning, thought I was gonna vomit, and had to go home and lie down. I just have no tolerance for booze at all any more

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:I thought I hit my goal today of a 100Kg deadlift but I had a word with one of the PT's and turns out I hadn't calculated the bar properly so I actually hit my goal last week and lifted 100Kg deadlift last week :toot:

Did 2x3 100Kg and 3x3 110Kg which felt awesome immediately followed by feeling a bit wooly headed and the desire to go fetal. Chuffed with that considering I could barely deadlift 30Kg at the start of the year.


Nice one dude! Feels good when that happens. It happened to me last week, I was doing 127.5kg squat, and I was wondering why I was struggling and it felt so much heavier, until I realized I miscalculated the plates and was actually doing 137.5 :lol:

Ive finally made progress with my bench and my OHP but now my wrist is acting up again so I might have to stop for a while. Did 45kg 5x5 on the OHP, and 62.5kg BP 5x5. I was pretty happy with that but then my wrist really started hurting. I decided to just do cardio yesterday and give my wrist a rest, but I drank a whopping THREE bottles of strawberry floating miller the night beforehand, and after 20 minutes of work, my head was spinning, thought I was gonna vomit, and had to go home and lie down. I just have no tolerance for booze at all any more

Those are good OHP and squat numbers, nice work man.

Been caining it lately, think I’m near as big and shredded as I’ve ever been.

Just moved to Latvia this last week for August and I’ve got a free gym downstairs. It’s only got a heavy bag, pull up and dip bar so doing calisthentics for the month. Will come out the other side of this leaner and weaker as I’m not being as strict with my diet (always find it hard to perfect macros when in foreign countries) but not really too fussed. Love just railing on a heavy bag, all the worries go out of my head and feel like an animal temporarily, adore it.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:I thought I hit my goal today of a 100Kg deadlift but I had a word with one of the PT's and turns out I hadn't calculated the bar properly so I actually hit my goal last week and lifted 100Kg deadlift last week :toot:

Did 2x3 100Kg and 3x3 110Kg which felt awesome immediately followed by feeling a bit wooly headed and the desire to go fetal. Chuffed with that considering I could barely deadlift 30Kg at the start of the year.


Nice one dude! Feels good when that happens. It happened to me last week, I was doing 127.5kg squat, and I was wondering why I was struggling and it felt so much heavier, until I realized I miscalculated the plates and was actually doing 137.5 :lol:

Ive finally made progress with my bench and my OHP but now my wrist is acting up again so I might have to stop for a while. Did 45kg 5x5 on the OHP, and 62.5kg BP 5x5. I was pretty happy with that but then my wrist really started hurting. I decided to just do cardio yesterday and give my wrist a rest, but I drank a whopping THREE bottles of strawberry floating miller the night beforehand, and after 20 minutes of work, my head was spinning, thought I was gonna vomit, and had to go home and lie down. I just have no tolerance for booze at all any more

Those are good OHP and squat numbers, nice work man.

Been caining it lately, think I’m near as big and shredded as I’ve ever been.

Just moved to Latvia this last week for August and I’ve got a free gym downstairs. It’s only got a heavy bag, pull up and dip bar so doing calisthentics for the month. Will come out the other side of this leaner and weaker as I’m not being as strict with my diet (always find it hard to perfect macros when in foreign countries) but not really too fussed. Love just railing on a heavy bag, all the worries go out of my head and feel like an animal temporarily, adore it.


Cheers man. Feels good as I tried the 45kg OHP last week and only did 3 sets of 5x5 and the final 2 sets I failed on, so good to finally nail all 5.
Man I love hitting the heavybag, haven't done it in so long!

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:26 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:I thought I hit my goal today of a 100Kg deadlift but I had a word with one of the PT's and turns out I hadn't calculated the bar properly so I actually hit my goal last week and lifted 100Kg deadlift last week :toot:

Did 2x3 100Kg and 3x3 110Kg which felt awesome immediately followed by feeling a bit wooly headed and the desire to go fetal. Chuffed with that considering I could barely deadlift 30Kg at the start of the year.


Nice one dude! Feels good when that happens. It happened to me last week, I was doing 127.5kg squat, and I was wondering why I was struggling and it felt so much heavier, until I realized I miscalculated the plates and was actually doing 137.5 :lol:

Ive finally made progress with my bench and my OHP but now my wrist is acting up again so I might have to stop for a while. Did 45kg 5x5 on the OHP, and 62.5kg BP 5x5. I was pretty happy with that but then my wrist really started hurting. I decided to just do cardio yesterday and give my wrist a rest, but I drank a whopping THREE bottles of strawberry floating miller the night beforehand, and after 20 minutes of work, my head was spinning, thought I was gonna vomit, and had to go home and lie down. I just have no tolerance for booze at all any more

Thanks man. Good OHP numbers, I just about managed 1 set of 5 seated with 22kg dumbbells last week. Shoulders are hard.

What's up with your wrist? I've hurt my left wrist to the point that I can't do barbell or dumbbell curls. The EZ bar was working great but even that is painful now.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Hime wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Hime wrote:I thought I hit my goal today of a 100Kg deadlift but I had a word with one of the PT's and turns out I hadn't calculated the bar properly so I actually hit my goal last week and lifted 100Kg deadlift last week :toot:

Did 2x3 100Kg and 3x3 110Kg which felt awesome immediately followed by feeling a bit wooly headed and the desire to go fetal. Chuffed with that considering I could barely deadlift 30Kg at the start of the year.


Nice one dude! Feels good when that happens. It happened to me last week, I was doing 127.5kg squat, and I was wondering why I was struggling and it felt so much heavier, until I realized I miscalculated the plates and was actually doing 137.5 :lol:

Ive finally made progress with my bench and my OHP but now my wrist is acting up again so I might have to stop for a while. Did 45kg 5x5 on the OHP, and 62.5kg BP 5x5. I was pretty happy with that but then my wrist really started hurting. I decided to just do cardio yesterday and give my wrist a rest, but I drank a whopping THREE bottles of strawberry floating miller the night beforehand, and after 20 minutes of work, my head was spinning, thought I was gonna vomit, and had to go home and lie down. I just have no tolerance for booze at all any more

Thanks man. Good OHP numbers, I just about managed 1 set of 5 seated with 22kg dumbbells last week. Shoulders are hard.

What's up with your wrist? I've hurt my left wrist to the point that I can't do barbell or dumbbell curls. The EZ bar was working great but even that is painful now.


I injured it years ago boxing but it just never healed 100%. Seems like the strain that bench and ohp puts on your wrist has aggravated it again :(

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:16 pm

Give wrist grips a try if you haven’t already, I’ve had to use them for many lifts for years since tearing my ligaments in both wrists. Cheap set from amazon for a fiver with good reviews should help massively.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:52 am

Oh nice, thanks for the recommendation, ill check them out!

User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:38 pm

2 days of drinking and skipped gym on Friday (last session was Wednesday).

Then just did 3x5 100KG bench press easily and without a spotter and on a bench rack I hate (safety rails are too high and can't be adjusted). Felt so easy I could have done another set.

Funny how that works. Haven't benched heavy in a while but good to do 125% of bodyweight.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Grumpy David wrote:2 days of drinking and skipped gym on Friday (last session was Wednesday).

Then just did 3x5 100KG bench press easily and without a spotter and on a bench rack I hate (safety rails are too high and can't be adjusted). Felt so easy I could have done another set.

Funny how that works. Haven't benched heavy in a while but good to do 125% of bodyweight.


Yet I have 3 bottles of miller and felt like I was going to die after20 minutes of cardio :lol:

That's a nice bench tho man well done. Did more cardio today and thankfully didn't pass out. First time doing cardio since I started focusing on lifting back in November. Nice to do something a bit different again but im already like "but muh gainz"


Return to “Stuff”