The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Mini E » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:31 am

Hope training's going well for everyone. What the hell is this thread doing on page 3?!

In 2014 I set the goal of losing 25% of my body weight (was 103.6kg I believe) and today is the first day I've weighed in and beaten that target. 77.2kg this morning. Absolutely buzzing. Got another 5 days of training before I put it all back on drinking wine and eating baked goods in Australia... I'm going to enjoy this five days!

teh bork wrote:The appointment of Moyes is me done with that club until he and the 3 idiots running it have strawberry floated off. I'd boo him, but I think I'll sell my ticket game by game and get some money back. I'm so angry about this, the final nail in the coffin of this great club.
User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by BTB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Congrats! That's great work, and good to see you stuck with it over the 3 years!

First trip to the gym last night after a week long holiday in France with plenty of drinking and eating (and a little bit of swimming, so not all bad...), went surprisingly well. My gym also has some new equipment which was a nice surprise.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Lotus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:39 pm

I only weigh myself every few months when I visit my parents, as they own some scales and I don't. Weighed in at about 15 stone (95kg) the other day, which was pretty pleasing to see given that I'd wanted to bulk up a bit having lost some weight through lack of working out/poor diet. Feels good man. :datass:

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Rocksleddy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Rocksleddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:54 pm

How often do you lift lotus? Around 95kg sounds heavy to still want to bulk.

My gf's an ex-national rowing champion so she's been showing me how to do it properly, they're actually pretty amazing. Build a great shape and are a non suicidally dull form of cardio.

Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Lotus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:47 pm

About 3 times a week at the moment. I probably worded my post badly before...I was down to about 14.5 stone which is pretty normal for me I guess, and I'm now back to about 15. Not looking to be any heavier than that. I find the eating part most difficult...not because I can't eat a lot, but I can easily go for a week having one meal a day, not really feel hungry, not have the time to eat, etc.

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Brerlappin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Rocsteady wrote:How often do you lift lotus? Around 95kg sounds heavy to still want to bulk.

My gf's an ex-national rowing champion so she's been showing me how to do it properly, they're actually pretty amazing. Build a great shape and are a non suicidally dull form of cardio.


What kind of rowing are you doing? Ive been doing 2000m rowing sessions every now and again at the gym. Its good fun cardio alright. Takes me about 8 minutes to do 2k which is pretty dreadful.

Congrats Mini E! Thats amazing weight loss mate. Really well done.

Ive been doing a little mroe lifting lately. Did 110kg DL x5 last night, pretty weak numbers compared to some of you guys but im happy enough given that i only lift casually. I hoping to get back to BJJ in august too, i havent trained since the spider guard seminar back in May :fp:

Image
User avatar
Rocksleddy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Rocksleddy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am

Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:How often do you lift lotus? Around 95kg sounds heavy to still want to bulk.

My gf's an ex-national rowing champion so she's been showing me how to do it properly, they're actually pretty amazing. Build a great shape and are a non suicidally dull form of cardio.


What kind of rowing are you doing? Ive been doing 2000m rowing sessions every now and again at the gym. Its good fun cardio alright. Takes me about 8 minutes to do 2k which is pretty dreadful.

Congrats Mini E! Thats amazing weight loss mate. Really well done.

Ive been doing a little mroe lifting lately. Did 110kg DL x5 last night, pretty weak numbers compared to some of you guys but im happy enough given that i only lift casually. I hoping to get back to BJJ in august too, i havent trained since the spider guard seminar back in May :fp:

That's actually a good time for rowing depending on what number you've got it set to, apparently 5 mimics water and sub-6 minutes is near pro level so you're hardly a million miles away.

Did 5k on Tuesday but no idea what time in as i stopped a few times to discuss technique, trying to get it down pat so I'm not an idiot and injure myself in the future again. Will do another 4 or 5k this evening but again will mainly be concentrating on form rather than racing through it.

Image
User avatar
Rocksleddy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Rocksleddy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:50 am

Lotus wrote:About 3 times a week at the moment. I probably worded my post badly before...I was down to about 14.5 stone which is pretty normal for me I guess, and I'm now back to about 15. Not looking to be any heavier than that. I find the eating part most difficult...not because I can't eat a lot, but I can easily go for a week having one meal a day, not really feel hungry, not have the time to eat, etc.

Nah think you worded it fine just misinterpreted it, I'm sitting just below 13 and a half stone which is fairly heavy for me as I'm naturally an extreme ectomorph, fits me fine.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Brerlappin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:How often do you lift lotus? Around 95kg sounds heavy to still want to bulk.

My gf's an ex-national rowing champion so she's been showing me how to do it properly, they're actually pretty amazing. Build a great shape and are a non suicidally dull form of cardio.


What kind of rowing are you doing? Ive been doing 2000m rowing sessions every now and again at the gym. Its good fun cardio alright. Takes me about 8 minutes to do 2k which is pretty dreadful.

Congrats Mini E! Thats amazing weight loss mate. Really well done.

Ive been doing a little mroe lifting lately. Did 110kg DL x5 last night, pretty weak numbers compared to some of you guys but im happy enough given that i only lift casually. I hoping to get back to BJJ in august too, i havent trained since the spider guard seminar back in May :fp:

That's actually a good time for rowing depending on what number you've got it set to, apparently 5 mimics water and sub-6 minutes is near pro level so you're hardly a million miles away.

Did 5k on Tuesday but no idea what time in as i stopped a few times to discuss technique, trying to get it down pat so I'm not an idiot and injure myself in the future again. Will do another 4 or 5k this evening but again will mainly be concentrating on form rather than racing through it.


Any tips for good form? I tend to just hammer through it like a strawberry floating lunatic

Image
User avatar
Rocksleddy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Rocksleddy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:How often do you lift lotus? Around 95kg sounds heavy to still want to bulk.

My gf's an ex-national rowing champion so she's been showing me how to do it properly, they're actually pretty amazing. Build a great shape and are a non suicidally dull form of cardio.


What kind of rowing are you doing? Ive been doing 2000m rowing sessions every now and again at the gym. Its good fun cardio alright. Takes me about 8 minutes to do 2k which is pretty dreadful.

Congrats Mini E! Thats amazing weight loss mate. Really well done.

Ive been doing a little mroe lifting lately. Did 110kg DL x5 last night, pretty weak numbers compared to some of you guys but im happy enough given that i only lift casually. I hoping to get back to BJJ in august too, i havent trained since the spider guard seminar back in May :fp:

That's actually a good time for rowing depending on what number you've got it set to, apparently 5 mimics water and sub-6 minutes is near pro level so you're hardly a million miles away.

Did 5k on Tuesday but no idea what time in as i stopped a few times to discuss technique, trying to get it down pat so I'm not an idiot and injure myself in the future again. Will do another 4 or 5k this evening but again will mainly be concentrating on form rather than racing through it.


Any tips for good form? I tend to just hammer through it like a strawberry floating lunatic

Probably not that i can explain that well through text, the main things as i can gather is to use your legs for a big chunk of it, say the first 60%, then use your shoulders, arms and upper back to pull it towards you while continuing to move your back backwards. Keep your wrists straight and your back reasonably so. Try not to let the chain go everywhere, it should be shifting in a smooth straight line forwards and backwards.

That's shitely explained but hopefully helps a little.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Brerlappin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:How often do you lift lotus? Around 95kg sounds heavy to still want to bulk.

My gf's an ex-national rowing champion so she's been showing me how to do it properly, they're actually pretty amazing. Build a great shape and are a non suicidally dull form of cardio.


What kind of rowing are you doing? Ive been doing 2000m rowing sessions every now and again at the gym. Its good fun cardio alright. Takes me about 8 minutes to do 2k which is pretty dreadful.

Congrats Mini E! Thats amazing weight loss mate. Really well done.

Ive been doing a little mroe lifting lately. Did 110kg DL x5 last night, pretty weak numbers compared to some of you guys but im happy enough given that i only lift casually. I hoping to get back to BJJ in august too, i havent trained since the spider guard seminar back in May :fp:

That's actually a good time for rowing depending on what number you've got it set to, apparently 5 mimics water and sub-6 minutes is near pro level so you're hardly a million miles away.

Did 5k on Tuesday but no idea what time in as i stopped a few times to discuss technique, trying to get it down pat so I'm not an idiot and injure myself in the future again. Will do another 4 or 5k this evening but again will mainly be concentrating on form rather than racing through it.


Any tips for good form? I tend to just hammer through it like a strawberry floating lunatic

Probably not that i can explain that well through text, the main things as i can gather is to use your legs for a big chunk of it, say the first 60%, then use your shoulders, arms and upper back to pull it towards you while continuing to move your back backwards. Keep your wrists straight and your back reasonably so. Try not to let the chain go everywhere, it should be shifting in a smooth straight line forwards and backwards.

That's shitely explained but hopefully helps a little.


Cheers man, definitely helps!

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Peter Crisp » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:29 pm

I finished my latest swimming challenge of swimming the Suez Canal (159km) and I managed it in 76 days which is pretty good.
I'm not sure what my next challenge will be as I've now done this and the UK to Ireland swim and the only other long distance swim is the Atlantic swim which is over 3k miles so erm, no thanks :slol: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Brerlappin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I finished my latest swimming challenge of swimming the Suez Canal (159km) and I managed it in 76 days which is pretty good.
I'm not sure what my next challenge will be as I've now done this and the UK to Ireland swim and the only other long distance swim is the Atlantic swim which is over 3k miles so erm, no thanks :slol: .


Thats amazing Pete, must have been a hell of an experience

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Peter Crisp » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:I finished my latest swimming challenge of swimming the Suez Canal (159km) and I managed it in 76 days which is pretty good.
I'm not sure what my next challenge will be as I've now done this and the UK to Ireland swim and the only other long distance swim is the Atlantic swim which is over 3k miles so erm, no thanks :slol: .


Thats amazing Pete, must have been a hell of an experience


Is it less impressive if I admit that it's just the distance and I actually did it at my local pool which is a 15 minute walk from by house ? :shifty:
It's somewhat less picturesque but on the plus side has less container ships to avoid.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Brerlappin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:I finished my latest swimming challenge of swimming the Suez Canal (159km) and I managed it in 76 days which is pretty good.
I'm not sure what my next challenge will be as I've now done this and the UK to Ireland swim and the only other long distance swim is the Atlantic swim which is over 3k miles so erm, no thanks :slol: .


Thats amazing Pete, must have been a hell of an experience


Is it less impressive if I admit that it's just the distance and I actually did it at my local pool which is a 15 minute walk from by house ? :shifty:
It's somewhat less picturesque but on the plus side has less container ships to avoid.


A little less impressive, but still pretty good :lol:

Image
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Johnny Ryall » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Bought some dumbbells to mess about with on non running days. Finding weights a bit boring? Running/cardio gives me a rush, not feeling it with the bells so far. Mebbes I need a proper plan.

On the plus side I've gone from 5' 10 and 251 pounds in march to 192 pounds yesterday. Portion control and running. Definitely haven't changed what I eat, just the amounts. I had pepperoni pizza for dinner lol.

User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Grumpy David » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:Bought some dumbbells to mess about with on non running days. Finding weights a bit boring? Running/cardio gives me a rush, not feeling it with the bells so far. Mebbes I need a proper plan.

On the plus side I've gone from 5' 10 and 251 pounds in march to 192 pounds yesterday. Portion control and running. Definitely haven't changed what I eat, just the amounts. I had pepperoni pizza for dinner lol.



That's some serious weight loss. Good going man! I'm 5'10 and gained weight after developing sciatica. I reached about 230lbs but now weigh 185lbs. I started swimming 3x a week and cut out all snacks, just sticking to 3 meals a day and it worked well. I think I'd need to start calorie counting to really get another 20lbs off.

I find dumbbell weights relatively boring. I much prefer barbells. But that requires a gym membership rather than having something at home to muck about with. You could get a pull up bar for home though?

User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Johnny Ryall » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Yeah I have been considering the gym its just the price eh. Winter is pretty harsh in scotchland though so I will have to do something once the weather turns to keep the cardio routine anyhoo.

Tbh it was just numbers on a scale until I did this side by side of an identical pose (my default lol) left Christmas season last year, right last week.

Image


I've been thinner than this before but I've never been in as good shape, losing my breath taking washing up the stairs in March was the final straw for me.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 pm

That's a mighty impressive weight loss :datass:.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread - Post 2016 Goals for OP!
by That's not a growth » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:01 am

Well done Craig, that's great! And like GD said, I personally find barbell training is when I started to enjoy weights. A lot of it is to do with the progression, which you're not really going to get with a few around the house unless you keep buying heavier ones.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Bunni, Google [Bot], Snowcannon, Yahoo [Bot] and 44 guests