The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Incredible calf slicer submission from last night's ultimate fighter card


Image
User avatar
shadow202
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by shadow202 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 pm

So I've now been going to the gym for four months. Three months with a PT, a couple of things that I'm currently very happy about, I've actually got some muscle definition for the first time in my life, I'm comfortable doing weight workouts in front of other people and don't care what they think and I've never felt better both physically and mentally

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saint of Killers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:59 am

Nnnnngh! Gonna have to change my workout time again because of work commitments. I love getting it out of the way first thing in the morning, but that's going to be pretty hard to do soon and so evening workouts beckon. I've done 'em before but they were for a few weeks at the most. Latest change is going to last 6 months (!) and so I'm worried about how I'm going to react to knowing I've got a workout to look forward to once I'm done at work. :dread: :(

shadow202 wrote:So I've now been going to the gym for four months. Three months with a PT, a couple of things that I'm currently very happy about, I've actually got some muscle definition for the first time in my life, I'm comfortable doing weight workouts in front of other people and don't care what they think and I've never felt better both physically and mentally


Yup, seeing results for your hard work is the best. Well done!

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:Nnnnngh! Gonna have to change my workout time again because of work commitments. I love getting it out of the way first thing in the morning, but that's going to be pretty hard to do soon and so evening workouts beckon. I've done 'em before but they were for a few weeks at the most. Latest change is going to last 6 months (!) and so I'm worried about how I'm going to react to knowing I've got a workout to look forward to once I'm done at work. :dread: :(

shadow202 wrote:So I've now been going to the gym for four months. Three months with a PT, a couple of things that I'm currently very happy about, I've actually got some muscle definition for the first time in my life, I'm comfortable doing weight workouts in front of other people and don't care what they think and I've never felt better both physically and mentally


Yup, seeing results for your hard work is the best. Well done!


I love a post work workout. Great for getting all the stresses of the day out of you!

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 am

Had a great time at the Brazilian Jujitsu class on Friday until the instructor ground wrestled me, his knee slipped and all his body weight went kneecap first into/just under my ribs.

Went to the GP yesterday, turned out its not bruised ribs, I've damaged my abdominal wall.

Strong AF painkillers and about 6 weeks to recover.

My gainz. :x :(

User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 am

Grumpy David wrote:Had a great time at the Brazilian Jujitsu class on Friday until the instructor ground wrestled me, his knee slipped and all his body weight went kneecap first into/just under my ribs.

Went to the GP yesterday, turned out its not bruised ribs, I've damaged my abdominal wall.

Strong AF painkillers and about 6 weeks to recover.

My gainz. :x :(


Damn man that sucks. If it makes you feel any better, it's actually a pretty common thing the first time someone does grappling. I got some slightly bruised ribs first time someone sat on my chest, and I've read tons of first timers report the same over on the Reddit BJJ forum. Your chest just isn't used to that kind of pressure. I'd say the instructor probably just went into a higher knee on belly position by the sounds of it, and KOB is a mummy strawberry floater, to hear it you think "I could just push someone off me if they did that", but it takes all the wind out of you and focuses all their weight into one point on your stomach. It's strawberry floating horrible and one of the worst positions to find yourself in, so if you got hurt there it's understandable especially if it was your first class. Hope you heal up well my dude

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saint of Killers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 am

+1 to it sucking. Can't even imagine how pissed of I'd be about something like that being the cause of my not being able to workout.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:42 am

Sorry to hear that David.

My knee is still stopping me from being able to run :dread: :x - can still do all of my other workouts but I absolutely love running. Hurt it during the Winchester Half in September - tried a few runs afterwards and still had pain. Left it five weeks and tried running just a 5k yesterday. Time wasn't too bad (23:56) but half way through, my knee flared up a lot and hurt for the rest of the day. So incredibly frustrating.

teh bork wrote:The appointment of Moyes is me done with that club until he and the 3 idiots running it have strawberry floated off. I'd boo him, but I think I'll sell my ticket game by game and get some money back. I'm so angry about this, the final nail in the coffin of this great club.
User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by BTB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

Accidentally did 40kg overhead press instead of 30kg yesterday. Actually managed surprisingly well, did 8 reps on the 1st set. 2nd set I did about 5 and then had to drop the weight back to 30 :lol:

But a nice little surprise.

User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 am

BTB wrote:Accidentally did 40kg overhead press instead of 30kg yesterday. Actually managed surprisingly well, did 8 reps on the 1st set. 2nd set I did about 5 and then had to drop the weight back to 30 :lol:

But a nice little surprise.


I managed 42.5 on OHP this week too :toot: Only thing is, doing OHP seems to really cause me pain in my wrist. No other exercise does, just OHP. Its the same wrist i injured about 3 years ago. So i dont think ill ever really be able to get much heavier than that for OHP.

Image
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 am

Weighed in at 73.2kg this morning. That is unexpectedly low - I thought I was nearer 76-77. I'm not particularly trying to lose weight any more but that figure does mean I've hit 30kg in terms of weight loss. That'll do I think. BMI down to 21.something and I know my muscle mass is increasing.

teh bork wrote:The appointment of Moyes is me done with that club until he and the 3 idiots running it have strawberry floated off. I'd boo him, but I think I'll sell my ticket game by game and get some money back. I'm so angry about this, the final nail in the coffin of this great club.
User avatar
CuriousOyster
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Glasgow

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by CuriousOyster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 am

Need to stop going mental and eating everything I see when I get home, guts biggest been in some time :slol: Bang on it during work day as well.

Been bit lazy for last few months only going 2-3 times a week (mostly 2) rather than 4 or 5 and diets been poorer but back on it this week properly' Haven't lost much strength which was pleased with, haven't benched in at least 3 months (still do dumbell presses) but rocked up and done 100kg for reps after few warm up sets.

Might start focusing on mainly 6-8 reps, always end up going higher ranges but bad for strength increase which not focused on in properly a year, coasting.

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saigon Slick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 am

Mini E wrote:Sorry to hear that David.

My knee is still stopping me from being able to run :dread: :x - can still do all of my other workouts but I absolutely love running. Hurt it during the Winchester Half in September - tried a few runs afterwards and still had pain. Left it five weeks and tried running just a 5k yesterday. Time wasn't too bad (23:56) but half way through, my knee flared up a lot and hurt for the rest of the day. So incredibly frustrating.


Is it the cartilage? I did mine in about six years ago running a 10k - the cartilage was damaged and swelled to the point where it was pushing into the ligament and causing pain whenever I did anything above slow walking. STill gives a bit of grief when it's cold - might be worth getting it checked out if you haven't already.

Image Image
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Saigon Slick wrote:
Mini E wrote:Sorry to hear that David.

My knee is still stopping me from being able to run :dread: :x - can still do all of my other workouts but I absolutely love running. Hurt it during the Winchester Half in September - tried a few runs afterwards and still had pain. Left it five weeks and tried running just a 5k yesterday. Time wasn't too bad (23:56) but half way through, my knee flared up a lot and hurt for the rest of the day. So incredibly frustrating.


Is it the cartilage? I did mine in about six years ago running a 10k - the cartilage was damaged and swelled to the point where it was pushing into the ligament and causing pain whenever I did anything above slow walking. STill gives a bit of grief when it's cold - might be worth getting it checked out if you haven't already.


I'm hoping not. Cartilage takes a long time to heal as very limited blood supply to it. I have a physio appointment/assessment on Monday. I had some cartilage issues in my ankle at the end of 2010 then an operation in August 2011 and similarly to you, still hurts in the cold.

teh bork wrote:The appointment of Moyes is me done with that club until he and the 3 idiots running it have strawberry floated off. I'd boo him, but I think I'll sell my ticket game by game and get some money back. I'm so angry about this, the final nail in the coffin of this great club.
User avatar
CuriousOyster
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Glasgow

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by CuriousOyster » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 am

What is it with these people who walk about with straps on or belts and don't do anything that moderately even requires either :roll:


Return to “Stuff”