The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:17 pm

I haven't been great lately thanks to multiple colds and a new job which is taking up too much of my time, coupled with the only nearby gym closing at 9 on weekdays and 3.30 on sat/sun :l

Still managing to go twice a week and kept my diet on point so not disastrous but it's not been a great few months gym wise.

Image
User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by abcd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Exercise is going very well at the moment.

I'm up at 6.45 every day on my bike turbo trainer (I'm doing a 60 minute interval program on Zwift. This is training for when I go to the Alps next August. Having climbed Mont Ventoux in September, it's obvious that I need much more climbing stamina)

Then I'm at the gym at lunch time. I aim for minimum of 3 sessions a week.

I'm currently aiming to do three types of calisthenic skills. These are;

Muscle Ups
Pistol Squats
V-sit

Progress is going well. I hope to do at least 5 unaided muscle ups in the next couple of months. Pistol squats should be nailed in January, and a 30 second V-Sit should be done in the next few weeks.

Having just read about the 500 rep challenge, I think I could probably give that a go. :D

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Been keeping the gym 3x a week routine sessions regularly but have had a few big alcohol nights followed by pigging out that means weight hasn't changed (maybe a kilo lighter than at the start of the year). Pretty content with the weight atm anyway, better at pull ups, benching, cardio than I was at the start of the year, I am more curious about my bodyfat percentage but can't be bothered with the cost of a DEXA scan.

Did an MMA class on Monday for 90 minutes. Lengthy warm up, a MMA style circuit (punching bags, kicking bags, ground and pound bags, skipping rope etc) that had me sweating like that big hairy man in the basketball match in the film Along Came Polly, not a huge amount of training on techniques such as practising punches, kicks etc which was a little disappointing, but I've been fairly sore all week (in a good way). Going to also try a Brazilian Jujitsu class next week too - I did Japanese Jujitsu about 10/11 years ago for about a year and a half and I'm looking forward to it more than I was for the MMA class.

I've been spoiled by EasyGym though, it's £21.99 a month and by far the best equipped gym in my part of London. 12 cages, 16 barbells, great location. By contrast, these MMA and BJJ places are at least £60 a month so just feels pricey by comparison.

User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by BTB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:35 am

The change in weather/clocks has made my plan of morning gym sessions before work a struggle... But on the plus side I realised with my work gym pass I can use several gyms in London, not just the one near the office. So I can now go to one nearer my flat so I can go at weekends easily again now.

Squatted 80kg for (I think) the first time (3x5), felt like I could do more which was good as well. Bench/deadlift hasn't progressed much. But I usually find if one out of 'the big 3' is progressing the others don't.

Ideally I need to get back into the routine of a bit of cardio/core at the end of my sessions as well.

User avatar
Knoëleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Knoëleo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 am

I've had to knock the Muay Thai on the head. I seem to be getting back from work later and later at the moment, and it's too expensive to justify if I'm only going on Saturdays.

Might get back to my pay as you go bouldering gym in the mean time.

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saigon Slick » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 am

Mini E wrote:Things are going well for me at the moment. Had some knee problems after my last half-marathon so I've barely been able to run but other training going well. Just finishing week 6 of my current 10 week programme. Been up at 04:10 five times a week for the past six weeks to get the gym in before work. Have started doing some evening sessions too. One of our staff members is a former Commonwealth Games medallist in Judo and he's putting a more resistance-based training programme together for me.

The past couple of weeks I've been doing eight or nine sessions per week which is definitely going to lead to overtraining if I'm not careful :dread:. Morning is cardio (stair climb the equivalent of Big Ben at 90 steps per minute and then a 40 minute cycle time-trial or a run), and evening is more resistance. Did a 500 rep challenge last night involving 100 press-ups, 100 leg raises from a pull up position, 100 lunges, 100 curl and press and 100 burpees.

I did not enjoy this. Body mass down to 75kg (still trying to get down slightly more from my original 103.something). When I get closer to 71-72ish, my plan is to maintain that weight or add-on slightly to increase lean muscle mass. Carbohydrate intake has definitely increased since starting two sessions per day for three of my five training days... I feel so much better for it all though. Mood is definitely on the up.



I read that as stair climbing the equivalent of Ben Nevis there and was seriously impressed. The fact you're only doing Big Ben though...disappointed mate. It's just not good enough.

Image Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Been keeping the gym 3x a week routine sessions regularly but have had a few big alcohol nights followed by pigging out that means weight hasn't changed (maybe a kilo lighter than at the start of the year). Pretty content with the weight atm anyway, better at pull ups, benching, cardio than I was at the start of the year, I am more curious about my bodyfat percentage but can't be bothered with the cost of a DEXA scan.

Did an MMA class on Monday for 90 minutes. Lengthy warm up, a MMA style circuit (punching bags, kicking bags, ground and pound bags, skipping rope etc) that had me sweating like that big hairy man in the basketball match in the film Along Came Polly, not a huge amount of training on techniques such as practising punches, kicks etc which was a little disappointing, but I've been fairly sore all week (in a good way). Going to also try a Brazilian Jujitsu class next week too - I did Japanese Jujitsu about 10/11 years ago for about a year and a half and I'm looking forward to it more than I was for the MMA class.

I've been spoiled by EasyGym though, it's £21.99 a month and by far the best equipped gym in my part of London. 12 cages, 16 barbells, great location. By contrast, these MMA and BJJ places are at least £60 a month so just feels pricey by comparison.


Have fun with BJJ.. :nod: Just a word of warning, dont drink the night beforehand or eat anything spicy/heavy beforehand. Nothing worse than feeling like you need a gooseberry fool and then someone gets you in knee-on-belly position..

BJJ & MMA gyms are expensive alright tho. I left my first gym mostly cause i couldnt afford it anymore at 110 euro per month. BJJ is very popular right now so gyms can charge what they like. Im lucky i found a super cheap one that only charged 50 euro per month, and id say that literally the cheapest gym in the entire City, easily.

Made it to the gym last night, did my stronglifts session, and ended with a 2k rowing session. Chest was on fire at the end of it :(


Hah, there's a reason why I insist on a PWP before exercise (pre workout poop) and its to avoid situations like that!

€110 a month is mental money! Do you get Mcgregor's coaches instructing you for that kind of money?

BJJ booked for Friday night. Looking forward to it!

User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:35 am

Good to see everyone seems to be on it at the moment! Cora - it’ll come back - I can massively empathise with PhD being a dick to lifestyle.

Did the 500 rep challenge for the second time a couple of nights ago and our time went down from 34 mins to 26. Amazing how much your body improves just through knowing what to expect :mrgreen:

Can’t wait for the weekend. My body is sore :dread: - just another 30 mins this morning and one full workout tomorrow morning to survive. Posting during cardio like a distracted person :shifty:

User avatar
shadow202
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by shadow202 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 pm

So I've now been going to the gym for four months. Three months with a PT, a couple of things that I'm currently very happy about, I've actually got some muscle definition for the first time in my life, I'm comfortable doing weight workouts in front of other people and don't care what they think and I've never felt better both physically and mentally

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saint of Killers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:59 am

Nnnnngh! Gonna have to change my workout time again because of work commitments. I love getting it out of the way first thing in the morning, but that's going to be pretty hard to do soon and so evening workouts beckon. I've done 'em before but they were for a few weeks at the most. Latest change is going to last 6 months (!) and so I'm worried about how I'm going to react to knowing I've got a workout to look forward to once I'm done at work. :dread: :(

shadow202 wrote:So I've now been going to the gym for four months. Three months with a PT, a couple of things that I'm currently very happy about, I've actually got some muscle definition for the first time in my life, I'm comfortable doing weight workouts in front of other people and don't care what they think and I've never felt better both physically and mentally


Yup, seeing results for your hard work is the best. Well done!

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 am

Had a great time at the Brazilian Jujitsu class on Friday until the instructor ground wrestled me, his knee slipped and all his body weight went kneecap first into/just under my ribs.

Went to the GP yesterday, turned out its not bruised ribs, I've damaged my abdominal wall.

Strong AF painkillers and about 6 weeks to recover.

My gainz. :x :(

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saint of Killers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 am

+1 to it sucking. Can't even imagine how pissed of I'd be about something like that being the cause of my not being able to workout.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:42 am

Sorry to hear that David.

My knee is still stopping me from being able to run :dread: :x - can still do all of my other workouts but I absolutely love running. Hurt it during the Winchester Half in September - tried a few runs afterwards and still had pain. Left it five weeks and tried running just a 5k yesterday. Time wasn't too bad (23:56) but half way through, my knee flared up a lot and hurt for the rest of the day. So incredibly frustrating.

User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by BTB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

Accidentally did 40kg overhead press instead of 30kg yesterday. Actually managed surprisingly well, did 8 reps on the 1st set. 2nd set I did about 5 and then had to drop the weight back to 30 :lol:

But a nice little surprise.

User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 am

Weighed in at 73.2kg this morning. That is unexpectedly low - I thought I was nearer 76-77. I'm not particularly trying to lose weight any more but that figure does mean I've hit 30kg in terms of weight loss. That'll do I think. BMI down to 21.something and I know my muscle mass is increasing.

User avatar
CuriousOyster
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Glasgow

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by CuriousOyster » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 am

Need to stop going mental and eating everything I see when I get home, guts biggest been in some time :slol: Bang on it during work day as well.

Been bit lazy for last few months only going 2-3 times a week (mostly 2) rather than 4 or 5 and diets been poorer but back on it this week properly' Haven't lost much strength which was pleased with, haven't benched in at least 3 months (still do dumbell presses) but rocked up and done 100kg for reps after few warm up sets.

Might start focusing on mainly 6-8 reps, always end up going higher ranges but bad for strength increase which not focused on in properly a year, coasting.

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Saigon Slick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 am

Mini E wrote:Sorry to hear that David.

My knee is still stopping me from being able to run :dread: :x - can still do all of my other workouts but I absolutely love running. Hurt it during the Winchester Half in September - tried a few runs afterwards and still had pain. Left it five weeks and tried running just a 5k yesterday. Time wasn't too bad (23:56) but half way through, my knee flared up a lot and hurt for the rest of the day. So incredibly frustrating.


Is it the cartilage? I did mine in about six years ago running a 10k - the cartilage was damaged and swelled to the point where it was pushing into the ligament and causing pain whenever I did anything above slow walking. STill gives a bit of grief when it's cold - might be worth getting it checked out if you haven't already.

Image Image
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Mini E » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Saigon Slick wrote:
Mini E wrote:Sorry to hear that David.

My knee is still stopping me from being able to run :dread: :x - can still do all of my other workouts but I absolutely love running. Hurt it during the Winchester Half in September - tried a few runs afterwards and still had pain. Left it five weeks and tried running just a 5k yesterday. Time wasn't too bad (23:56) but half way through, my knee flared up a lot and hurt for the rest of the day. So incredibly frustrating.


Is it the cartilage? I did mine in about six years ago running a 10k - the cartilage was damaged and swelled to the point where it was pushing into the ligament and causing pain whenever I did anything above slow walking. STill gives a bit of grief when it's cold - might be worth getting it checked out if you haven't already.


I'm hoping not. Cartilage takes a long time to heal as very limited blood supply to it. I have a physio appointment/assessment on Monday. I had some cartilage issues in my ankle at the end of 2010 then an operation in August 2011 and similarly to you, still hurts in the cold.

User avatar
CuriousOyster
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Glasgow

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by CuriousOyster » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 am

What is it with these people who walk about with straps on or belts and don't do anything that moderately even requires either :roll:

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Gemini73 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am

After an 18 month break due to family stuff I jumped back into my Hung Gar Kung Fu lessons end of last November. Surprised by how quickly I got back on form. Now my fitness levels are beginning to get into shape again. The not drinking and smoking the last couple of months has also, obviously, helped a great deal. Losing weight rapidly as well.

First lesson of the New Year last night. Will be grading for Leopard later this year while also learning Wing Chun off-syllabus during my Saturday morning private lessons.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".

Return to “Stuff”