The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by That's not a growth » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 pm

I deadlift in socks. Also it stops my back being gooseberry fool, rather than causing it.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Brerlappin wrote:How do you guys deal with bench press without a spotter? I'm always on my own at the gym, and my BP is up to 55kg now and I'm honestly not sure how much more weight I can handle before I drop this strawberry floating thing on my head :lol:

Did 120kg squat last night, 5x5, new PR and couldn't believe it but it almost felt easy! Even when warning up I did 100kg and it felt like nothing.

I'm still strawberry floated tho, coughing loads now and my chest is wrecked. I'm so glad I'm still able to do weights tho.


Benching without a spotter gives me the fear - can't do the exercise at all with dumbbells(I permanently scarred one of my fingers after crushing it between two dumbbells a few years back) so need to either have someone around me or go much lower than my PB(62.5kg) to not be terrified of death. :lol:

Image Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm

CuriousOyster wrote:
Hime wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:
Hime wrote:What do you you guys get out of doing deadlift's?


A few things. Mainly it's down to once you're doing it right it will be the lift you're strongest at by a considerable margin, so seeing you're able to lift well over your own body weight is very satisfying.

There's also the general aspect of seeing yourself get better at something and the feeling of endorphins you get with most weight lifting, but it's more pronounced with deadlifts. It's also meant to be the best lift for your central nervous system, from what I've read, with it essentially being a whole body work out which you can't really get from any other lift in the same way.

I know that is the goal but I can't see myself lifting over 80kg just because I'm so scared of wrecking my back.


Presume you mean your lower back? If you're form is good, it shouldn't hurt or work your lower back too much. Shoulders back, not rolled and leaning over the bar, chin up facing forward with back straight at like a 45 degree angle at start of lift help to focus my form. Usually tense (well hidden) abs when pulling bar up to focus on stability.

No running trainers either (with big cushioned heels), flat shoes like converse or like just in socks help me because I'm 6'4 and help me get closer to bar without bending over and can lift a lot more as can feel the push in heels against floor. Used to be bit stronger but currently around 160kg deadlift for 5-6ish reps.

Yeah I had one of the PT's check and he said my form is good, it's more psychological from having a bad lower back in the past. I find it much easier with my left hand in an overhand grip and right hand in an underhand grip, the bar gets very close to my knees with both hands ovwrhand.

I'm 6'0 so not especially tall but it is picking the bar of the ground and putting it down that I feel most vulnerable. I would like to try it using a power rack and having the bar slightly off the ground.

Image
User avatar
CuriousOyster
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Glasgow

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by CuriousOyster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Hime wrote:
CuriousOyster wrote:
Hime wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:
Hime wrote:What do you you guys get out of doing deadlift's?


A few things. Mainly it's down to once you're doing it right it will be the lift you're strongest at by a considerable margin, so seeing you're able to lift well over your own body weight is very satisfying.

There's also the general aspect of seeing yourself get better at something and the feeling of endorphins you get with most weight lifting, but it's more pronounced with deadlifts. It's also meant to be the best lift for your central nervous system, from what I've read, with it essentially being a whole body work out which you can't really get from any other lift in the same way.

I know that is the goal but I can't see myself lifting over 80kg just because I'm so scared of wrecking my back.


Presume you mean your lower back? If you're form is good, it shouldn't hurt or work your lower back too much. Shoulders back, not rolled and leaning over the bar, chin up facing forward with back straight at like a 45 degree angle at start of lift help to focus my form. Usually tense (well hidden) abs when pulling bar up to focus on stability.

No running trainers either (with big cushioned heels), flat shoes like converse or like just in socks help me because I'm 6'4 and help me get closer to bar without bending over and can lift a lot more as can feel the push in heels against floor. Used to be bit stronger but currently around 160kg deadlift for 5-6ish reps.

Yeah I had one of the PT's check and he said my form is good, it's more psychological from having a bad lower back in the past. I find it much easier with my left hand in an overhand grip and right hand in an underhand grip, the bar gets very close to my knees with both hands ovwrhand.

I'm 6'0 so not especially tall but it is picking the bar of the ground and putting it down that I feel most vulnerable. I would like to try it using a power rack and having the bar slightly off the ground.


True, very easy to hurt yourself (like I done last week) never mind with bad back history. Use the same hand grips as you, I think a lot of people do the same as it's effective. My double overhand tends to fail quicker.

I've never done rack pulls but have heard they are good for building up strength in the portion of the lift you are worried about so sounds like a good idea! Might actually try them as well.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:45 pm

If you're not a big fan of deads i just wouldnt do them - I've never done proper back squats as my lower back cant handle them and despite being the 'king of exercises' it's never held me back.

+1 for deadlifts in socks.

I almost like not having a spotter for bench, drives you on more. Either that weight's going up or you're getting crushed by 100 kilos, quite the motivator.

Image
User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by BTB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 am

Saw someone squatting 200kg last night :shock: :shock:

Good grief.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am

Beast. Love banana splits like that though, spurs you on if you're struggling with minor weights and there's a boy beside you destroying it.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by That's not a growth » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 pm

I would wipe away a single tear and try to reassure myself that at least I'd be a better runner than him, then after thinking about it would come to the conclusion he could traverse the landscape like the incredible hunk, with leaps that could humble mountains, and I'd go back to feeling sad again.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 pm

Rocksleddy wrote:If you're not a big fan of deads i just wouldnt do them - I've never done proper back squats as my lower back cant handle them and despite being the 'king of exercises' it's never held me back.

+1 for deadlifts in socks.

I almost like not having a spotter for bench, drives you on more. Either that weight's going up or you're getting crushed by 100 kilos, quite the motivator.

I like to stick in for a bit and give an exercise a chance, if I find that overall I get more pain than good from it I will swap it for something else. At the moment it's a bit of pride as doing 30KG deadlift's feels feeble. I know know one around you really gives a gooseberry fool but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Quite happy with how my biceps are looking lately but would like to get more of a peak to them. Pic for reference.

Image


I mostly do indirect exercises for arms (bench, overhead press, chin ups, pull ups). Only direct exercise is dumbell curls occasionally. Anything y'all would recommend for an end of workout addition?

User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by BTB » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:06 pm

BTB wrote:Was doing deadlifts last night and felt a slight pain on the inside of my shin, quite high up towards the knee. Never felt that before, has anyone else had that or know of what could have caused it? I'm guessing my form must have been a bit off (never had issues with deadlift before, so I assume my form is generally good), stopped doing them after I felt it to be safe.


Did deadlifts again last night, all felt fine. You can all stop worrying now.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Quite happy with how my biceps are looking lately but would like to get more of a peak to them. Pic for reference.

Image


I mostly do indirect exercises for arms (bench, overhead press, chin ups, pull ups). Only direct exercise is dumbell curls occasionally. Anything y'all would recommend for an end of workout addition?

I'm just impressed you managed to get a decent shot, this was my attempt with shite lighting:

Image


Not really though I'm the same - chin ups and curls are enough I've always found.

In great shape just now, 5 weeks to Thailand and I'm on course to being the best i have been in years. Doing a lot of cardio, got abs showing through alongside defined chest and wide shoulders. Legs twice a week has got my thighs looking better too. Benefits to a recent break up.

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Hime » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:52 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Quite happy with how my biceps are looking lately but would like to get more of a peak to them. Pic for reference.

Image


I mostly do indirect exercises for arms (bench, overhead press, chin ups, pull ups). Only direct exercise is dumbell curls occasionally. Anything y'all would recommend for an end of workout addition?

I'm just impressed you managed to get a decent shot, this was my attempt with shite lighting:

Image


Not really though I'm the same - chin ups and curls are enough I've always found.

In great shape just now, 5 weeks to Thailand and I'm on course to being the best i have been in years. Doing a lot of cardio, got abs showing through alongside defined chest and wide shoulders. Legs twice a week has got my thighs looking better too. Benefits to a recent break up.

Good work Rocsteady. strawberry float doing legs twice a week.

GD, could you try doing cable curls for a different bicep exercise? I know it's essentially the same thing but could be good for a change.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Quite happy with how my biceps are looking lately but would like to get more of a peak to them. Pic for reference.

Image


I mostly do indirect exercises for arms (bench, overhead press, chin ups, pull ups). Only direct exercise is dumbell curls occasionally. Anything y'all would recommend for an end of workout addition?

I'm just impressed you managed to get a decent shot, this was my attempt with shite lighting:

Image


Not really though I'm the same - chin ups and curls are enough I've always found.

In great shape just now, 5 weeks to Thailand and I'm on course to being the best i have been in years. Doing a lot of cardio, got abs showing through alongside defined chest and wide shoulders. Legs twice a week has got my thighs looking better too. Benefits to a recent break up.


Image

Looking strawberry floating good my dudes.

Im actually taking this week off the gym. Just felt like rest. Hit 125kg on my squat last session tho which was awesome. BP is up to 55kg which is fairly pathetic but still feels like im about to drop that gooseberry fool at any second and brain myself :lol: Really struggling with OHP tho. Failed after the second set on 42.5kg :?

quick swelfie https://imgur.com/a/ncRGE

not bad considering the damage i did foodwise over Christmas

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Looking class man, crazy improvement on what you used to be way back in the day.

42.5kg is a mad heavy ohp set when compared to 55 bench.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 pm

You think I should lower the OHP a bit? Ive literally just been doing whatever SL recommends til now :lol:

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 pm

I dunno about lowering it (I wouldn't), just stressing that failing at 42's nowt to be worried about.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Ah okay cool :D

User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Grumpy David » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Quite happy with how my biceps are looking lately but would like to get more of a peak to them. Pic for reference.

Image


I mostly do indirect exercises for arms (bench, overhead press, chin ups, pull ups). Only direct exercise is dumbell curls occasionally. Anything y'all would recommend for an end of workout addition?

I'm just impressed you managed to get a decent shot, this was my attempt with shite lighting:

Image


Not really though I'm the same - chin ups and curls are enough I've always found.

In great shape just now, 5 weeks to Thailand and I'm on course to being the best i have been in years. Doing a lot of cardio, got abs showing through alongside defined chest and wide shoulders. Legs twice a week has got my thighs looking better too. Benefits to a recent break up.


Image

Looking strawberry floating good my dudes.

Im actually taking this week off the gym. Just felt like rest. Hit 125kg on my squat last session tho which was awesome. BP is up to 55kg which is fairly pathetic but still feels like im about to drop that gooseberry fool at any second and brain myself :lol: Really struggling with OHP tho. Failed after the second set on 42.5kg :?

quick swelfie https://imgur.com/a/ncRGE

not bad considering the damage i did foodwise over Christmas


Your arms look well defined Brerr, surely you are forgetting to include the weight of the barbell with those lifts? I overhead press 60KG for 3x5 or 5x5 without training it too regularly. Benching 100KG 5x5 before chest injury. It's a strange ratio too. Your shoulders are disproportionately strong compared to your chest?

Rocsteady, EasyGym elevator has great lighting ha, plus Nexus 6P just takes really nice photos. Was a bit awkward to angle the phone though.

I prefer pull ups compared to chin ups and I'd say they're my joint favourite exercise with bench press which I never thought I would say, I used to absolutely hate pull ups because they were so difficult and everyone can see you struggle when doing them. Now I feel like a monkey effortlessly pulling itself through tree tops. :lol:

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The New Fitness & Martial Arts Thread
by Brerlappin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Grumpy David wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Quite happy with how my biceps are looking lately but would like to get more of a peak to them. Pic for reference.

Image


I mostly do indirect exercises for arms (bench, overhead press, chin ups, pull ups). Only direct exercise is dumbell curls occasionally. Anything y'all would recommend for an end of workout addition?

I'm just impressed you managed to get a decent shot, this was my attempt with shite lighting:

Image


Not really though I'm the same - chin ups and curls are enough I've always found.

In great shape just now, 5 weeks to Thailand and I'm on course to being the best i have been in years. Doing a lot of cardio, got abs showing through alongside defined chest and wide shoulders. Legs twice a week has got my thighs looking better too. Benefits to a recent break up.


Image

Looking strawberry floating good my dudes.

Im actually taking this week off the gym. Just felt like rest. Hit 125kg on my squat last session tho which was awesome. BP is up to 55kg which is fairly pathetic but still feels like im about to drop that gooseberry fool at any second and brain myself :lol: Really struggling with OHP tho. Failed after the second set on 42.5kg :?

quick swelfie https://imgur.com/a/ncRGE

not bad considering the damage i did foodwise over Christmas


Your arms look well defined Brerr, surely you are forgetting to include the weight of the barbell with those lifts? I overhead press 60KG for 3x5 or 5x5 without training it too regularly. Benching 100KG 5x5 before chest injury. It's a strange ratio too. Your shoulders are disproportionately strong compared to your chest?

Rocsteady, EasyGym elevator has great lighting ha, plus Nexus 6P just takes really nice photos. Was a bit awkward to angle the phone though.

I prefer pull ups compared to chin ups and I'd say they're my joint favourite exercise with bench press which I never thought I would say, I used to absolutely hate pull ups because they were so difficult and everyone can see you struggle when doing them. Now I feel like a monkey effortlessly pulling itself through tree tops. :lol:


Yeah it's possible, I only started lifting in September. Before that it was literally 4 years or so of bodyweight fitness, kettlebells, boxing and BJJ. So I probably would have built up my shoulders before attempting a bench press or OHP!


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Benzin, Blue Eyes, Brerlappin, Frank, Garth, lex-man, Peter Crisp, Preezy, RichardUK, satriales, shy guy 64, souljahsstory, Tafdolphin, Tsunade and 49 guests