Android Thread

Our best bits.
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread
by Errkal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Hyperion wrote:This place is full of morons

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Errkal wrote:
Hyperion wrote:This place is full of morons


Yes! Thank you.

Privacy is serious business.

Seriously though, I'm loving the people realising all their strawberry floating photos are online and reaffirming my point that one notification on setup isn't enough while the tech-bros continue to insist we all just need to get with the system.

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread
by Errkal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Hyperion wrote:This place is full of morons


Yes! Thank you.

Privacy is serious business.


Indeed, that's why they ask before enabling the setting I guess :P

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Android Thread
by Hyperion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm

I'm not even a tech-bro. I just have the ability to read and see what things do

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Hyperion wrote:I'm not even a tech-bro. I just have the ability to read and see what things do


But not understand apparently so I'll break it down again.

One vaguely worded notification at the start of the use of an app is not sufficient to cover the fact that Google have, without my ongoing knowledge, uploaded every photo I've taken in the last 2 years into the internet.

I tried to back out of this by acquiescing to the fact that yes, I should have read the EULA closer and that I obviously missed the notification telling me Google wanted to back up my photos, but then I got called an idiot. I'm not an idiot. I am one of the over-fucking-whelming majority of people who don't read every line of every EULA and who do not memorise every strawberry floating notification I get.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread
by Errkal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Hyperion wrote:I'm not even a tech-bro. I just have the ability to read and see what things do


But not understand apparently so I'll break it down again.

One vaguely worded notification at the start of the use of an app is not sufficient to cover the fact that Google have, without my ongoing knowledge, uploaded every photo I've taken in the last 2 years into the internet.

I tried to back out of this by acquiescing to the fact that yes, I should have read the EULA closer and that I obviously missed the notification telling me Google wanted to back up my photos, but then I got called an idiot. I'm not an idiot. I am one of the over-fucking-whelming majority of people who don't read every line of every EULA and who do not memorise every strawberry floating notification I get.


The notification asks if you want to back up all your pictures, it is pretty obvious what it is that it does, it happens separately from the main setup and you have to says "yes" to is as it makes you select quality of upload (High or source) as that effects how much you can back up.

It is not hidden, it isn't vague, it isn't a trick.

You didn't bother reading it and just "OKed" through it, thats on you not Google.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Cool! Not for me, but for you that's cool. We disagree and neither of us will convince the other so yeah.

Hope your day is going well!

Patronising Nugget of the Day: Calling people who don't agree with you idiots and morons is a terrible way to argue a point and in fact works against you!

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread
by Errkal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Slightly dull a day if I'm honest, this has been most of the only entertainment for the day.

Might get a hot chocolate now this is over :(

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Android Thread
by Hyperion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:21 pm

As I said before it's not hidden in the EULA. You expressly told it to back up your photos to the cloud entirely separately.
Then you forgot that you did it

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Hyperion wrote:As I said before it's not hidden in the EULA. You expressly told it to back up your photos to the cloud entirely separately.
Then you forgot that you did it


Cool!

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Android Thread
by Hyperion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Take responsibility for your actions. Don't get upset at someone else

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Hyperion wrote:Take responsibility for your actions. Don't get upset at someone else


I will, thanks!

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Android Thread
by Hyperion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Take responsibility for your actions. Don't get upset at someone else


I will, thanks!


Wonderful!

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Hyperion wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Take responsibility for your actions. Don't get upset at someone else


I will, thanks!


Wonderful!

bffs

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Android Thread
by Ad7 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Hyperion wrote:This place is full of morans

bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by bear » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 am

Is the photo backup option one of those settings where no is taken as an answer or is it one of those where the dialogue keeps reappearing to try and get you to turn it on?

When I upgraded to Windows 10 I didn't install Chrome for ages because at the time it was becoming the new iTunes due to being such a resource hog and everytime I checked Google I got the "try Google chrome" message popping up no matter how many times I had dismissed it previously.

User avatar
Earfolds
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Evil Ted
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread
by Earfolds » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 am

bear wrote:Is the photo backup option one of those settings where no is taken as an answer or is it one of those where the dialogue keeps reappearing to try and get you to turn it on?

It appears once per folder, and if you say no, it doesn't appear again for that folder. This lets you enable it for photos but not for downloaded images, for instance.

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Android Thread
by Ad7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 am

Are they stored at original resolution? It's a really nice happy accident feature for me if so because it's got a lot of stuff I lost a while back. I remember activating it now way back before a holiday so if I lost my phone, I wouldn't have lost the photos that were on it that trip.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread
by Errkal » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

Ad7 wrote:Are they stored at original resolution? It's a really nice happy accident feature for me if so because it's got a lot of stuff I lost a while back. I remember activating it now way back before a holiday so if I lost my phone, I wouldn't have lost the photos that were on it that trip.


They are limied with 1080 / 16 mega pixel if you pick "unlimited storage / High Quality" or you can upload in Native resolution in which case it is limited to your Google Drive storage limit.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread
by Tafdolphin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 am

Ad7 wrote:Are they stored at original resolution? It's a really nice happy accident feature for me if so because it's got a lot of stuff I lost a while back.


Annoyingly enough it's the same for me. There're loads of photos in there that I haven't seen in ages.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests