GRcade Shop - Now Open!

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6724 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 337  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 pm 
Member
User avatar
This is your one-stop-shop for help and advice on all things PC. Whether you want to build your new mega-rig, or want help with troubleshooting, this is your place!

PC hardware pricing tool - http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/

WHAT PC SHOULD I GET FOR £XXX? GO HERE http://www.logicalincrements.com/

-- Outdated build removed

_________________
Winckle wrote:
Falsey arguing on the side of women, Fade arguing on the side of straight white men. It's strawberry floating opposite day in here.


Last edited by Falsey on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:23 pm 
Member
User avatar
:o

_________________
Winckle wrote:
Falsey arguing on the side of women, Fade arguing on the side of straight white men. It's strawberry floating opposite day in here.


Last edited by Falsey on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 pm 
Member
User avatar
Updated first post. If anyone has any useful links I could add, feel free to pass them on. :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 am 
Member
User avatar
Probably worth mentioning that anyone considering buying a graphics card would do well to wait a couple of weeks, AMD release their '6' series cards. This should shake up existing prices and they should regain the 'bang for buck' crown.

_________________
Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:51 am 
Member
User avatar
Drunken_Master wrote:
Probably worth mentioning that anyone considering buying a graphics card would do well to wait a couple of weeks, AMD release their '6' series cards. This should shake up existing prices and they should regain the 'bang for buck' crown.

I couldn't have put it better myself. :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:22 am 
Member
User avatar
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/netbook-1 ... 32015.html


Tom's Hardware test 10 netbooks and give their recommendations. The Acer A0521 AMD Nile based netbook which I recommended in another thread absolutely annihilates the Atom based ones in the performance stakes.

_________________
Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:37 pm 
Member
User avatar
As this thread has been a roaring success. :shifty: , I thought I'd give it a go myself.

I'm looking for recomendations for software. What I want is something that will sync the files on my USB stick with a folder on my PC (more specifically a dropbox folder) automatically. I've found good sync programs that will do this, but they've all required me to open the program and then run the sync, which usually takes just as long as simply copy+pasting. I'm sure there must be something out there that will sync the files automatically when I plug the USB stick in.

Any ideas?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:31 am 
Member
User avatar
This sounds a bit convoluted. Why do you want to do this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:15 pm 
Member
User avatar
TheTurnipKing wrote:
This sounds a bit convoluted. Why do you want to do this?

I have a USB which all my course work is saved to. I just want it all to back-up to a folder on my home PC everytime I plug it in.

There are programs which you can use to sync, but you have to open them and start the sync manually everytime, which kind of defeats the object.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 am 
Member
User avatar
Sounds like you need a program that just runs in the tray and backs up your usb media whenever its inserted.

Whether such a program exists however..

_________________
Winckle wrote:
Falsey arguing on the side of women, Fade arguing on the side of straight white men. It's strawberry floating opposite day in here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm 
Member
User avatar
Falsey wrote:
Sounds like you need a program that just runs in the tray and backs up your usb media whenever its inserted.

Whether such a program exists however..

That is my conundrum.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 pm 
Member
User avatar
I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't just copy it yourself and be done with it.

Failing that, I guess you could try setting up a copy as a scheduled task.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:26 pm 
Member
User avatar

AKA: Ryallback
Thing is, if it's that important, do you want to trust a program that might crash to do it?

_________________
She says "if you're unhappy, then you gotta find the cure"
Well I prescribe me one more beer, beyond that I am unsure


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 pm 
Member
User avatar
Johnny Ryall wrote:
Thing is, if it's that important, do you want to trust a program that might crash to do it?

Well if it does, it's not that end of the world, as I'll still have the memoery stick copy.

Anyway, I found Allway sync which does pretty much what I wanted it to. When I'm working with documents on the memory stick, it automatically syncs the files with the folder on my PC. Great stuff.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 pm 
Member
User avatar
The ATI 6850 and 6870 have been released today. The 6850 is the new 'bang for buck' king. Faster than the GTX 460 and more power efficient.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244431

£132 from Ebuyer.
Image
Image

BTW, AMD have completely changed the numbering system. In previous gens, high end was '8', high mid was '7' and midrange was '6'.

The ATI 6850 is the successor to the ATI 5750 with the 6870 replacing the 5770.

_________________
Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:55 pm 
Member
User avatar
Drunken_Master wrote:
The ATI 6850 and 6870 have been released today. The 6850 is the new 'bang for buck' king. Faster than the GTX 460 and more power efficient.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244431

£132 from Ebuyer.
Image
Image

BTW, AMD have completely changed the numbering system. In previous gens, high end was '8', high mid was '7' and midrange was '6'.

The ATI 6850 is the successor to the ATI 5750 with the 6870 replacing the 5770.


Ooo, I shall consider getting one if this job thing works out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm 
Member
User avatar
Dragging this thread all the way from page 5. :lol:

Has anybody had experience of using Ubuntu Server edition as a home file server? I'm using FreeNAS at the moment but it's not as reliable as I'd like and as I'm putting together a Ubuntu based server right now, thought I'd combine the 2. The only thing I'm worried about is the loss of a simple interface/configuration which comes with FreeNAS.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 am 
Member
User avatar
FAO: Winkle - Is this the right thread? :shifty:


Hopefully it is.

Anyway, anyone know what Windows 7 is like for Windows XP compatibility? I need to run CATIA for work, so when I eventually get a decent desktop machine, I'll need to stick CATIA on there, but for some reason CATIA didn't work on Windows Vista :?

If it does have an improved compatibility mode over Vista, is there usually any major disadvantage to running software in compatibility mode, like stability issues or the like?

If there are any major issues, is it possible to tri-boot? :shifty: I know I can dual-boot OSX and XP, but can you do OSX, XP, and 7?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:29 am 
Member
User avatar
7 is fine for legacy support. All you need to do is right click the application, and under the compatability tab, set it to XP.

Has worked a treat with everything Ive needed to use it for so far.

_________________
Winckle wrote:
Falsey arguing on the side of women, Fade arguing on the side of straight white men. It's strawberry floating opposite day in here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:16 pm 
Technician
User avatar
Frank wrote:
FAO: Winkle - Is this the right thread? :shifty:


Hopefully it is.

Anyway, anyone know what Windows 7 is like for Windows XP compatibility? I need to run CATIA for work, so when I eventually get a decent desktop machine, I'll need to stick CATIA on there, but for some reason CATIA didn't work on Windows Vista :?

If it does have an improved compatibility mode over Vista, is there usually any major disadvantage to running software in compatibility mode, like stability issues or the like?

If there are any major issues, is it possible to tri-boot? :shifty: I know I can dual-boot OSX and XP, but can you do OSX, XP, and 7?

At the worst you can install win xp inside windows 7. If you have the professional edition of win7. Then you could run your software there.

_________________
Image
The Decline of Console Video Games is Upon Us


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6724 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 337  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group