The Official Pets Discussion Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Qikz » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Death's Head wrote:The scan results show that the dog has a tumour in his liver and spleen, not something that can be operated on (because it has spread and the vet believes there would be a chance of it coming back even if the dog survived the op).

So now the dog is on borrowed time, anything between a week and a year with two end options, one his quality of life simply deteriorates and it is time to put him down and two where the tumour explodes and he is put down or dies within 24 hours of it happening.

The only thing I can take some comfort in is that the dog is unware, ignorance is indeed bliss.


I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Advent7 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm

DH :(

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Saigon Slick » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Death's Head wrote:The scan results show that the dog has a tumour in his liver and spleen, not something that can be operated on (because it has spread and the vet believes there would be a chance of it coming back even if the dog survived the op).

So now the dog is on borrowed time, anything between a week and a year with two end options, one his quality of life simply deteriorates and it is time to put him down and two where the tumour explodes and he is put down or dies within 24 hours of it happening.

The only thing I can take some comfort in is that the dog is unware, ignorance is indeed bliss.


Mate, I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Image Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Saigon Slick » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:39 am

My cat has been super attentive and demanding of my love since I took her to the vet to get her claws clipped last week - she's currently lying between me and my laptop with her paws on one of my arms making it difficult to type. This love is always welcome but it's really out of character for her and I'm beginning to worry that there's an issue somewhere. :dread:

Image Image
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Advent7 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 am

Don't cats usually bigger off somewhere if they're ill?

User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Seven Posers Posing » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:44 am

Death's Head wrote:The scan results show that the dog has a tumour in his liver and spleen, not something that can be operated on (because it has spread and the vet believes there would be a chance of it coming back even if the dog survived the op).

So now the dog is on borrowed time, anything between a week and a year with two end options, one his quality of life simply deteriorates and it is time to put him down and two where the tumour explodes and he is put down or dies within 24 hours of it happening.

The only thing I can take some comfort in is that the dog is unware, ignorance is indeed bliss.


strawberry floating hell man. Huge sympathies. Must be horrendous. :cry:

Image
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Advent7 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:52 pm

It's Jack's third birthday today :toot:

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Death's Head » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Last week I was on leave, originally planning to go on a driving holiday to Scotland with the dog, but on the vet's advice, changed plans and just stayed at home. Sadly the old guy could just not get a break in life, his arthritis seemed to accelerate and where he was walking but very slowly, his back legs basically gave up on him (he had already been robbed of stair access and laying in my home office whilst I worked). This sadly meant he could not get up unaided and whilst this was bad, a day or so later once he was up he couldn't get down easily (I think he was in pain whilst trying to sit) and would sometimes end up falling.

On Saturday and Sunday he was losing his appetite again and had limited movement. It was nice weather though so we managed to get him outside and we could see although becoming increasingly disabled, he was still very alert and taking an interest in what was going on around him. We just spent the days with him, comforting him the best we could. On Sunday night his excrement had basically become liquid and blood was present. On Monday it was the same but I had called the vet and requested a home visit so they could assess him. The vet is not keen on giving advice about levels of pain but on discussing the situation, believed that he was really in the end stage of his life and it was a matter of when he should be euthanized. We discussed this and although my son wanted to keep him an extra day, his quality of life was very poor and although he was doing his best not to show it, he was clearly in considerable pain.


At 3pm on Monday, Raja went to sleep for the last time with us. :cry:

Difficult times and lots of times where I need to collect myself up before I can go about my every day business. It is probably difficult for non pet owners to understand the impact, but the death of a pet really is no different from a family member, because that is what they become. I still have a fairly large sense of guilt from having to decide to end his life when maybe he didn't want to go and all of the times when he wanted to play and because I wanted to do something else, left him alone, thinking there would be another time.

Keep on smiling
Image

Raja, 2007 - 2018

Yes?
User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Octoroc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 pm

That's a tough call to make DH. Sounds like you did the right thing.

Very sorry for your loss.

User avatar
Harry Ellis
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Harry Ellis » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:15 pm

My condolences, DH. Rest assured that he loved his life with you and try not to feel bad about not always playing with him when he wanted to, life just gets in the way sometimes.

RIP Raja. :(

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Advent7 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Damn that was tough to read, sorry to hear that.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by jawafour » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Death's Head wrote:...It is probably difficult for non pet owners to understand the impact, but the death of a pet really is no different from a family member, because that is what they become...

I'm sorry for your loss, Deaths. I understand that feeling and I agree with your point about pets being family. I can imagine that things are real tough right now but I hope that, in time, you'll look back fondly on happier memories.

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Saigon Slick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Death's Head wrote:I still have a fairly large sense of guilt from having to decide to end his life when maybe he didn't want to go and all of the times when he wanted to play and because I wanted to do something else, left him alone, thinking there would be another time.


Buckled at this mate. Genuinely gutted for you. Hopefully you can take some comfort in knowing that he loved his family, and couldn’t have asked for a better life with you guys. RIP Raja.

On the subject of pets being a part of the family, I never understood it really until we got Loki. A girl I used to work with took time off when her 1 year old dog died (daft bastard belted it out of an open upstairs window). I scoffed at it then, but I sure as hell wouldn’t now. :(

Image Image
User avatar
Snowballday
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Snowballday » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:28 am

I come to this thread a lot when I'm down to see all of your beautiful pets. I've never had a pet myself, but when my nan's dog died I was upset for days. Pets are family, and losing one hurts so much.

RIP Raja

Image
Image
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Advent7 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 am

Our neighbour is always on a local Facebook ( :dread: ) group and has been seen on there asking if anyone knows of dog walkers that are available 4 days a week. They don't have a pet currently, but I do wonder why you'd get a dog if you already know you're going to be leaving it on its own all day for most of the week :|

Do you want a yappy needy dog with separation anxiety? Because that's how you get a yappy needy dog with separation anxiety.

User avatar
The Doom Spoon
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Wales
Contact:

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by The Doom Spoon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:49 am

Almost started a pets thread before noticing this one existed!

Thought I would share some pictures of my two cats, Patch and Pepsi.

Patch:
Image
Image
Image


Pepsi:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Qikz » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:41 am

Ad7 wrote:Our neighbour is always on a local Facebook ( :dread: ) group and has been seen on there asking if anyone knows of dog walkers that are available 4 days a week. They don't have a pet currently, but I do wonder why you'd get a dog if you already know you're going to be leaving it on its own all day for most of the week :|

Do you want a yappy needy dog with separation anxiety? Because that's how you get a yappy needy dog with separation anxiety.


Trouble is that basically means any working family can't have a dog

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Hexx » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 am

I don't want to be overly dramatic - but I'd strawberry floating die for Patch :wub:

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:11 am

Qikz wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Our neighbour is always on a local Facebook ( :dread: ) group and has been seen on there asking if anyone knows of dog walkers that are available 4 days a week. They don't have a pet currently, but I do wonder why you'd get a dog if you already know you're going to be leaving it on its own all day for most of the week :|

Do you want a yappy needy dog with separation anxiety? Because that's how you get a yappy needy dog with separation anxiety.


Trouble is that basically means any working family can't have a dog


We’d love to have a dog, but as we both work we decided it just wasn’t fair to get one.

User avatar
The Doom Spoon
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Wales
Contact:

PostRe: The Official Pets Discussion Thread
by The Doom Spoon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Hexx wrote:I don't want to be overly dramatic - but I'd strawberry floating die for Patch :wub:


Haha thanks! He's a proper mummies boy and got quite the personality!

I got a video of him somewhere playing fetch with me... I'll have to find it.

He was the runt of the litter and as a result, his growth was a little stunted. Because of that when he runs he tends to do a little waddle. :lol:


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BAKA, Bunni, Google [Bot], K, Monkey Man, Wrathy and 60 guests