PS Store Chat II

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Poser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:31 am

I'm pleased they're giving away Worms. It feels like the sort of game you should have in your collection. The rest is very meh. Though I would possibly play R-Type if it was on Ps4... actually, no, I'd play Resogun and Stardust first.

So yeah, gooseberry fool month.

Image
User avatar
Jerusalime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Jerusalime » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:07 am

So, Skyrim Special Edition is £17.99

I keep looking at is since it's often compared with Breath of the Wild - although obviously not the same, it is an open world fantasy-type game.

But different how?
If I take the plunge, what should my expectation be? Is it slower? More complex? Is it hard to know what to do next? Does it take itself very seriously (so it could feel like 'work' rather than entertainment?)

Any guidance is welcome!

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.

3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Gemini73 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 am

Lime wrote:So, Skyrim Special Edition is £17.99

I keep looking at is since it's often compared with Breath of the Wild - although obviously not the same, it is an open world fantasy-type game.

But different how?
If I take the plunge, what should my expectation be? Is it slower? More complex? Is it hard to know what to do next? Does it take itself very seriously (so it could feel like 'work' rather than entertainment?)

Any guidance is welcome!


Compared to BotW, Skyrim's leveling up system is more complex, but only in a traditional RPG sense. BotW is quite different to other RPGs in that respect. Like BotW, Skyrim can be enjoyed at your own pace.

Quests and sub-quests are laid out in your journal and are easy to follow. Along the way, though, you'll often get distracted by something else of interest and before you know it you're on another unexpected quest. One of the joys of Skyrim.

No, not too seriously and it doesn't feel like a chore. The main quest line is the weakest, however, and can be completed relatively quickly. Not that it matters as there are a lot of other fun quests in and around the main quest.

Ideally if you have an X1 or PC you're better off picking up Skyrim there for the excellent mod scene.

User avatar
20%
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by 20% » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 am

I'd love to play skyrim again, it's been years so hopefully I've forgotten most of it.

Agree with Gem thou, the main quest line is wank.
The best parts are the ones you stumble into :)

Image
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Advent7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 am

I fancied playing it the other day so I fired it up expecting to be on it all day.

The combat is strawberry floating awful, really really bad, it's aged so much.

Image
User avatar
Jerusalime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Jerusalime » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:58 am

:D Thanks guys, that's encouraging. I think I'll go and get it and enjoy the epic sidequests, atmosphere, and....


Ad7 wrote:I fancied playing it the other day so I fired it up expecting to be on it all day.

The combat is strawberry floating awful, really really bad, it's aged so much.


...oh :|

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.

3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Gemini73 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 am

Ah yes, Ad7 is right. Skyrim's combat (apart from stealth killing with a bow I would argue), is pretty awful. I mean it works, but it's very hack n slash, although not good hack n slash.

User avatar
OrangeReindeer
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by OrangeReindeer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 am

Lime wrote:So, Skyrim Special Edition is £17.99

I keep looking at is since it's often compared with Breath of the Wild - although obviously not the same, it is an open world fantasy-type game.

But different how?
If I take the plunge, what should my expectation be? Is it slower? More complex? Is it hard to know what to do next? Does it take itself very seriously (so it could feel like 'work' rather than entertainment?)

Any guidance is welcome!


It's a completely different game to BOTW - the only real comparison is the fantasy world setting. They are both open worlds, but the open worlds are very differently handled. I guess that both share the hook of exploration, but don't expect any of the emergent gameplay and interacting systems of BOTW in Skyrim.

Skyrim is pretty much the definition of a game being better than the sum of its parts. It's a game I really like and have put hundreds of hours into, but individually practically none of it holds up critically.

Combat is dull, repetitive and broken. The more levels you go up and skills you unlock the more OP you get, even with the game's blatant level scaling (it's handled at least better than Oblivion's ubiquitous level scaling). Stealth and archery is probably the most fun combination, but incredibly poor AI leads to very unsatisfying stealth outside of the simple "I snuck up on them without them ever seeing me and one shotted them all" scenario.

The main quest is badly paced and doesn't marry well to the relaxed open world design. Don't expect to get caught up in any narrative - this is a game where the plot insists you are the chosen one on an urgent quest to save the entire world, but where the gameplay encourages you to delay doing that to instead help a peasant man recover a family heirloom from some bandits.

Side quests are very repetitive, with little interesting writing and the vast majority following the same structure. Basically expect most of your questing time to be "talk to quest giver -> fight through cave -> collect trinket -> return to quest giver". All the caves/crypts/dungeons may as well be the same three places too.

The Elder Scrolls lore is deep and interesting, but it's hidden away from the player in Skyrim and can be hard to find. The less generic fantasy parts (and hence more interesting parts) are especially toned down and only alluded to.

Oblivion is a better game in almost every way, as was Morrowind before that. Don't go into Skyrim expecting a strong narrative, engaging writing, interesting quest structures, innovative level design, any real roleplaying, or fun moment-to-moment gameplay.

All that said, I can't wait for it to come out on Switch so I can jump back in to the world :toot:

User avatar
Jerusalime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Jerusalime » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Lots of useful stuff


Thanks, OrangeRakoon, that does make it sound like the kind of game I might have to try hard to enjoy - sounds like it needs some commitment.

I get the impression I would spend about 30 minutes with it and then Jawa it.

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.

3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Dual » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 am

Lime wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:Lots of useful stuff


Thanks, OrangeRakoon, that does make it sound like the kind of game I might have to try hard to enjoy - sounds like it needs some commitment.

I get the impression I would spend about 30 minutes with it and then Jawa it.


strawberry float skyrimmed and get Witcher 3 GOTY instead.

It is the best game. I got it this time last year and I'm still playing it.

User avatar
OrangeReindeer
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by OrangeReindeer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 am

It definitely requires commitment. I would like to reiterate though that I (and lots of people) do really like the game. I think my enjoyment comes not from the roleplaying that the game provides the player with, but the roleplaying that you as a player can project on to the game. The last playthrough I did of Skyrim I created a character with the sole purpose of playing a loyalist imperial and concentrating solely on the civil war questline (which is basically the main questline that should have been). I had tons of fun playing out this scenario - being dressed in imperial armour from the start, fighting side-by-side with imperial troops, traveling across country from one battle to the next. But this requires a purpose projected by the player. It's almost like playing make believe as a kid. That sums up the kind of sandbox I see Skyrim as, and why I find lots of enjoyment in it. It's not what the game leads me to do - it's what I can do with the game.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Gemini73 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 am

Lime wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:Lots of useful stuff


Thanks, OrangeRakoon, that does make it sound like the kind of game I might have to try hard to enjoy - sounds like it needs some commitment.

I get the impression I would spend about 30 minutes with it and then Jawa it.


I'd agree a lot of OR's assessment of Skyrim is fair, but there is enjoyment to be had no question. For myself, while I did originally pour around 50 or so hours into Skyrim on console I didn't really begin to appreciate the game until I picked it up on PC and started modding the hell out of it with visual upgrades, new animations, improved dragons, slightly improved combat, new islands, quests, NPCs so on and so on.

User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by FatDaz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:52 pm

I agree with dual. Witcher 3 is a better fantasy game and GOTY was on offer recently for £16 which includes all the DLC.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Gemini73 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:28 pm

FatDaz wrote:I agree with dual. Witcher 3 is a better fantasy game and GOTY was on offer recently for £16 which includes all the DLC.


Putting aside my love of modding Skyrim, yes I would say Witcher 3 is the better game. Bargain price as well.

User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by SugarDave » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Does using a trial PS+ code still make you eligible for the extra discounts on the store? Would anyone happen to have a spare one (even just a 48 hour one will do if those are a thing) lying around that I could use? I'd very much appreciate it.

User avatar
Banjo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nobody cares

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Banjo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes it does.

User avatar
20%
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by 20% » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Everytime I play Skyrim with a new character:

"I'm going to make a destruction Wizard who deals damage with a warhammer..."

40 minutes later...


*Spends all levelling points on Stealth and Archery*

Every. Single. Time. :x

Image
Damian
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS Store Chat II
by Damian » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:39 pm

So PS+ is £4 a month if you're paying the new rate, just over £3 if you got in before the increase, and less than that if you got the recent 15 months for £40 offer.

I looked on the PS blog and one comment read "A new all time low. Absolutely disgusting." There were plenty of others along these lines.

Not saying that everyone will be super enthusiastic about the offering every single month (although I'm happy enough with it), not do I usually play the "look at the world's real problems" card, but... some people really need to get a sense of perspective, do they not?

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: PS Store Chat II
by Death's Head » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Damian wrote:So PS+ is £4 a month if you're paying the new rate, just over £3 if you got in before the increase, and less than that if you got the recent 15 months for £40 offer.

I looked on the PS blog and one comment read "A new all time low. Absolutely disgusting." There were plenty of others along these lines.

Not saying that everyone will be super enthusiastic about the offering every single month (although I'm happy enough with it), not do I usually play the "look at the world's real problems" card, but... some people really need to get a sense of perspective, do they not?
It comes down to whether it is worth it for each individual. I don't play online and having not a great deal of time means I don't play many of the freebies because there are better games out there. I'm signed up until around the end of next year but not sure if I'll bother to renew then.

Yes?
Damian
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: PS Store Chat II
by Damian » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Damian wrote:So PS+ is £4 a month if you're paying the new rate, just over £3 if you got in before the increase, and less than that if you got the recent 15 months for £40 offer.

I looked on the PS blog and one comment read "A new all time low. Absolutely disgusting." There were plenty of others along these lines.

Not saying that everyone will be super enthusiastic about the offering every single month (although I'm happy enough with it), not do I usually play the "look at the world's real problems" card, but... some people really need to get a sense of perspective, do they not?
It comes down to whether it is worth it for each individual. I don't play online and having not a great deal of time means I don't play many of the freebies because there are better games out there. I'm signed up until around the end of next year but not sure if I'll bother to renew then.

By way of contrast, this is obviously fair enough!

In actual fact, this month is better for me than last, because I owned MGSV... and this is the first PS generation where I hadn't yet bought a Worms game.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BAKA, CitizenErased, Doeragynn, jiggles, KjGarly, myrrh heat than light, NickSCFC, Peter Crisp, Photek, Rudolphin, Ste, That's not a growth and 48 guests