The Politics Thread 4

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by DML » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 pm

I'm so bored of confirmation bias in this thread. Can no-one question their own views ever? The middle ground is completely destroyed, which is a shame because thats where most of the common sense is.

Image
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Meep » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:42 pm

There are a lot of things in life we cannot prove with one hundred percent certainty, actually that holds true with most scientific principles, but that doesn't mean we walk around like morons pretending ignorance of those things. Frankly I find Corbyn's position baffling. He's seen a duck, heard it quack, but is insisting on a biopsy and genetic test before accepting it is one. I can only assume he has adopted his position because of his reluctance to stoke hostilities with other countries.

Of course, being a pacifist is one thing, but not if it means ignoring the obvious malice of others. That just gets you hurt.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by DML » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:56 pm

Meep wrote:There are a lot of things in life we cannot prove with one hundred percent certainty, actually that holds true with most scientific principles, but that doesn't mean we walk around like morons pretending ignorance of those things. Frankly I find Corbyn's position baffling. He's seen a duck, heard it quack, but is insisting on a biopsy and genetic test before accepting it is one. I can only assume he has adopted his position because of his reluctance to stoke hostilities with other countries.

Of course, being a pacifist is one thing, but not if it means ignoring the obvious malice of others. That just gets you hurt.


I think hes just trying to avoid another Cold War TBH. I see it from both sides, but people are just obsessed with Corbyn being a bad man. WE JUST BOMBED SYRIA! Shouldn't we be talking about the merits of that, not a man who isn't it in power?

Sadiq Khan also gets loosely linked to stories he has neither had enough time to effect or has anything to do with in some cases. If either of them are awful, lets see how the by-elections go. I can guarantee you its not going to be the Labour offices who are going to be worried.

Lets concentrate on the decisions of May, Macron and Trump. They actually have the power to affect the situation right now.

Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Denster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 am

As tiresome as the baiting of Corbyn can become. It’s almost as tiresome to trot out the ‘leave him alone because he’s not in power’ line.
He’s the leader of the opposition. Someone else pointed out that whilst the treatment he receives is unfair - he also doesn’t help himself.

His comments on the poisoning and the air strikes have left him wide open to criticism.
It also calls into question his suitability as a potential world leader. Something the Tories and right wing press will revel in highlighting.

Hime wrote:This is nonsense, Photek finally posts something factual and he gets burned. ;)
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Hyperion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 am

What's wrong with his comments about the air strikes? Is it that he's not fully supporting the government? The militaristic right wing press won't like it but he has public support for that viewpoint

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Cuttooth » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 am

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... f-windrush

The Home Office continues to not be fit for purpose, and this country continues to be controlled by a deplorable right wing.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am

Cuttooth wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/no-10-refuses-caribbean-request-to-discuss-children-of-windrush

The Home Office continues to not be fit for purpose, and this country continues to be controlled by a deplorable right wing.


The whole story is a strawberry floating disgrace.

All that Leaver talk about strengthening trade and links with the Commonwealth is being shown up as the utter bullshit that it was.

User avatar
Earfolds
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Evil Ted
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Earfolds » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:11 am

Cuttooth wrote:

:lol:

If I see too much more of this gooseberry fool I'm probably going to resign and join Renew.

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Hexx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 am

Hyperion wrote:What's wrong with his comments about the air strikes? Is it that he's not fully supporting the government? The militaristic right wing press won't like it but he has public support for that viewpoint


That he's asking for a standard of absolute proof that a) insane. e.g. it is so far beyond criminal law, never mind international diplomacy and b) he knows is impossible to obtain.

It's complete obfuscation disguised as reasonableness.

Edit - Sorry missread your and thought you were talking about the Salisbury thing.

User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Grumpy David » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am

Hexx wrote:
Hyperion wrote:What's wrong with his comments about the air strikes? Is it that he's not fully supporting the government? The militaristic right wing press won't like it but he has public support for that viewpoint


That he's asking for a standard of absolute proof that a) insane. e.g. it is so far beyond criminal law, never mind international diplomacy and b) he knows is impossible to obtain.

It's complete obfuscation disguised as reasonableness.

Edit - Sorry missread your and thought you were talking about the Salisbury thing.


You're spot on for the Salisbury comment though.

It's like wanting UN approval. It won't happen when Russia has a permanent veto so using that means you either don't want illegal weapons usage to be tackled or you're naive enough to think it would actually be approved. I'd have more respect for honesty. "I'm a lifelong pacifist and do not want to use the military under any circumstances."

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am

DML wrote:I'm so bored of confirmation bias in this thread. Can no-one question their own views ever? The middle ground is completely destroyed, which is a shame because thats where most of the common sense is.


:lol:

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by KK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:26 am

DML wrote:I'm so bored of confirmation bias in this thread. Can no-one question their own views ever? The middle ground is completely destroyed, which is a shame because thats where most of the common sense is.

Image

Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by DML » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am

KK wrote:
DML wrote:I'm so bored of confirmation bias in this thread. Can no-one question their own views ever? The middle ground is completely destroyed, which is a shame because thats where most of the common sense is.

Image


Like you know what common sense is!

Image
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Cuttooth » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm



"Deported in error"

:|

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Cuttooth wrote:

"Deported in error"

:|


I’ve been listening to LBC and it’s horrifying hearing people’s experiences and their fears for the future.

If anybody hasn’t signed the petition, please do.


User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Hyperion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm

An amnesty suggests they've done something wrong. They came here legally and are living here legally

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Preezy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Is there any point signing the petition if it's already gone over the magic 100k mark? Is there another marker to hit that means we get to pelt Theresa May with rotten eggs or something?

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Preezy wrote:Is there any point signing the petition if it's already gone over the magic 100k mark? Is there another marker to hit that means we get to pelt Theresa May with rotten eggs or something?


The more that sign, the more headlines it will generate and the government will see the depth of feeling that people have.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Hyperion wrote:An amnesty suggests they've done something wrong. They came here legally and are living here legally


100% agree, but it’s more important to get those people protected than to argue over the wording.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Preezy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:Is there any point signing the petition if it's already gone over the magic 100k mark? Is there another marker to hit that means we get to pelt Theresa May with rotten eggs or something?


The more that sign, the more headlines it will generate and the government will see the depth of feeling that people have.

So...that's a no to the egg throwing?

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lagamorph, Mafro, Pedz, RichardUK and 68 guests