The Politics Thread 4

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by lex-man » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Regginator3 wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Regginator3 wrote:Metro in the mornings occasionally because it's free on the bus and it isn't particularly terrible.


It's certainly better than their online content, i can barely believe they allow their site to be used as a platform for some of the rubbish masquerading as journalism there.

I haven't paid much attention to the site, to be honest.


http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/11/the-peopl ... d-7303780/

One of their latest headlines.


Hard hitting journalism.

User avatar
Regginator3
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Regginator3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Hyperion wrote:That article's not even hypocritical.

It's posted by someone called Martine - how can a woman claim someone else needs to grow a beard when she doesn't grow one herself? The nerve.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Hyperion » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm

gooseberry fool Momentum are still a thing then


Image Image
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by OrangeRakoon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Regginator3 wrote:Yeah I agree to an extent, but then there's the additional hypocrisy. For example, as KK pointed out, running a story about how terrible it is Vogue have unpaid internships yet they do it themselves. That's a whooole other level.


The appeal to hypocrisy is a fallacy. You can criticise the Guardian for having unpaid internships, but that doesn't itself discredit any argument they make against the practice.

You should level the same criticism at the Guardian for how they use internships whether they run that article or not.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Squinty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Regginator3 wrote:
Hyperion wrote:That article's not even hypocritical.

It's posted by someone called Martine - how can a woman claim someone else needs to grow a beard when she doesn't grow one herself? The nerve.


She might be one of those bearded women you see in a bizarre show. We just don't have enough information.

User avatar
Regginator3
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Regginator3 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:02 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Regginator3 wrote:Yeah I agree to an extent, but then there's the additional hypocrisy. For example, as KK pointed out, running a story about how terrible it is Vogue have unpaid internships yet they do it themselves. That's a whooole other level.


The appeal to hypocrisy is a fallacy. You can criticise the Guardian for having unpaid internships, but that doesn't itself discredit any argument they make against the practice.

You should level the same criticism at the Guardian for how they use internships whether they run that article or not.

You know what are also fallacies? Straw man arguments. I didn't say it discredited their argument against Vogue - in fact I didn't even comment on Vogue - all I said is that they are hypocrites and it's a rag for purporting a morality it doesn't follow.

Nice try though OR

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Vermilion » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43031441

It was bad enough when Labour decided to use a dodgy PC ticket pricing strategy a while back.

ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Hyperion » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Urgh. Can we have Cal back?

Image Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Lagamorph » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Vermilion wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43031441

It was bad enough when Labour decided to use a dodgy PC ticket pricing strategy a while back.

The Young Labour event next month is open to under-27s who "self define" as women, LGBT+, BAME or disabled.

You can self define as disabled?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Hyperion » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Lagamorph wrote:You can self define as disabled?

I suppose you have to. The Tory DWP certainly won't declare you as such

Image Image
User avatar
Regginator3
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Regginator3 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 pm

bring back Blair

User avatar
Karl
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Karl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Lagamorph wrote:You can self define as disabled?

For the purposes of admission to a minorities event, yeah? How else would it work? Doctor's note to be presented with your badge? :?

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Jenuall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Regginator3 wrote: Also I agree with corporation tax cuts. Not just from a moral point of view (why should I be forced to give up money I've earned?) but from a practical point of view




Just wondering how in this world of little or, as you seem to advocate, no taxation we are going to afford to pay for all the trivial little things like schools, hospitals, police and such like?

ImageImage
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Vermilion » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 am

Regginator3 wrote:bring back Blair


No thanks, Labour needs a new leader who is actually sane.

ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Hexx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

Karl wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:You can self define as disabled?

For the purposes of admission to a minorities event, yeah? How else would it work? Doctor's note to be presented with your badge? :?


Presumably the counter argument is that people should "look" disabled and have obvious limps.

User avatar
Benzin
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Benzin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

Hexx wrote:
Karl wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:You can self define as disabled?

For the purposes of admission to a minorities event, yeah? How else would it work? Doctor's note to be presented with your badge? :?


Presumably the counter argument is that people should "look" disabled and have obvious limps.


And that's a whole can of worms in of itself :dread:

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Lotus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Did anything ever happen with Labour and the whole 'charging people different ticket prices based on their skin colour' thing? I think it got reported to the equality commission, but I never heard anything else on it.

Image
User avatar
Evil Ted
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Evil Ted » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Regginator3 wrote:bring back Blair


No thanks, Labour needs a new leader who is actually sane.



Image
User avatar
Irene Demova
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by Irene Demova » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Regginator3 wrote:bring back Blair


No thanks, Labour needs a new leader who is actually sane.

So what do you want lol, someone with Blair's shitty liberal politics but none of the stigma he got from enacting his shitty liberal politics?

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Politics Thread 4
by OrangeRakoon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:45 pm

None of the war crimes I imagine


Return to “Stuff”