The real man's drink: Whisky

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Mockmaster
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Cybertron

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by Mockmaster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:13 pm

John McClane wrote:If you have the time to answer my questions, Mocky (or anyone else), could you also please advise me on the best way to drink the stuff? Should I be pouring it over blocks of ice or mixing it with water? How much water?


You don't really want to be pouring it over ice if you want to experience its taste properly. In my experience adding water is ok for stronger whiskies with a higher alcohol percentage (i.e. getting towards 60%). Stronger whiskies can really overpower, so a tiny bit of water can open up the flavour and make it less about the explosive hit and more about the actual taste.

In terms of flavour it depends what area the single malt comes from, so it might be worth trying out one from each region:

Image

And an idea of the types of flavours:

Image

Of course that's just malts from the UK. There are some really nice Japanese and US whiskies.

Everyones' taste buds are a bit different so different people can get different things from the same whisky.

If you want to get into whisky tasting I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Whiskies-Tr ... 845&sr=8-2

Unlike other books that subjectively rate whiskies, it objectively suggests a wide variety of good ones to give a try and is a great starting point. I've slowly been ticking them off.

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Dalwhinnie get!

Image

Yes, that is Coke in the background. No, I am not going to spoil the whisky with it!

Image
User avatar
Mogster
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by Mogster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 am

John McClane wrote:Dalwhinnie get!

http://i.imgur.com/WSz8D.jpg

Yes, that is Coke in the background. No, I am not going to spoil the whisky with it!

I got one of those for Christmas, along with a big bottle of Balvennie Doublewood. Both are rather good. :)

Speaking of 15 year old whisky, a friend got me a gift set of Glenfidditch 12, 15 and 18 year old minis a few months ago. The 15 year old one was a big surprise in that it was bloody lovely, and quite a bit different to the 12 year old I'm used to. The 18 year old was good too, but I preferred the 15.

I'm Let's Playing my way through the Tomb Raider series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JevanMoss
User avatar
EberKneesUp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by EberKneesUp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Bump.

Because I know there are many anCnoc fans on here:

http://shop.ancnoc.com/collections/fron ... 98-vintage

They've released their 1998 vintage. Sounds lush. It's a limited release of only 850 cases, and retails at £50.

In other whisky matters, also relevant for anCnoc fans, is this:

Image


A Speyside single malt, that similar to the anCnoc, is very light on peatiness, and has much more in the way of fruitiness and vanilla notes. Got a bottle for Christmas, and had already bought myself a bottle, which I originally intended to return, but after tasting it, I have kept it, it's just that good.

User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by smurphy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 pm

I need to buy my dad some Whisky for his birthday. He mostly drinks Famous Grouse and had a bottle of Dura recently which he seemed to enjoy. I know zilch about Whisky so would welcome some recommendations! Want to spend around £50.

User avatar
Mockmaster
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Cybertron

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by Mockmaster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20 am

You cannot go wrong with a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15. It's quality.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1814.aspx

Image

You also can't go wrong with Johnnie Walker Black.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-550.aspx

Another smooth and easy drinking whisky.

If you fancy being a bit more daring, get him something with alot more punch (stronger than the average malt at 59.8%) but still high quality tasting and complex, the Aberlour A'Bunadh (co-recommended by rinks):

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-16651.aspx

These are 3 of my personal favourites.

Image
User avatar
Dark Ritual
Member ♥
Joined in 2010
Location: England

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by Dark Ritual » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:20 pm

In my efforts to drink better whisky, I've just bought a nice bottle of my favourite, Laphroaig.

User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by still » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Dark Ritual wrote:In my efforts to drink better whisky, I've just bought a nice bottle of my favourite, Laphroaig.


That's very noble of you !!

User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by Fatal Exception » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Dark Ritual wrote:In my efforts to drink better whisky, I've just bought a nice bottle of my favourite, Laphroaig.


strawberry floating love that stuff.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by still » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Knoyleo wrote:Bump.

Because I know there are many anCnoc fans on here:

http://shop.ancnoc.com/collections/fron ... 98-vintage

They've released their 1998 vintage. Sounds lush. It's a limited release of only 850 cases, and retails at £50.

In other whisky matters, also relevant for anCnoc fans, is this:

Image


A Speyside single malt, that similar to the anCnoc, is very light on peatiness, and has much more in the way of fruitiness and vanilla notes. Got a bottle for Christmas, and had already bought myself a bottle, which I originally intended to return, but after tasting it, I have kept it, it's just that good.


Certainly looks the part - how much ?? (May have to put on my chrimbo list.)

User avatar
EberKneesUp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by EberKneesUp » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Whoops, misread you post originally. I'll try again.

Should be about £30 for the Glenrothes, available from lots of places.

User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by Rubix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Deal to turn whisky 'leftovers' into biofuel for cars

A deal has been signed to turn by-products from a Scottish distillery into fuel for cars.

In what is claimed to be a world first, the Tullibardine distillery in Perthshire has linked up with a spin-out company from Napier University in Edinburgh.

They plan to use bacteria to feed on the "leftovers" from the whisky making process.

This will produce butanol which can be used to fuel vehicles.

More than 90% of the stuff that comes out of a whisky distillery is not whisky. It is leftovers like draff and pot ales - both produced in the early stages of the process.

They are high in sugar and are currently used for things like fertiliser and cattle feed.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-19708915

Playing: Resi 7 (PS4), FFXII (PS4) Assassins Creed Origins (PS4) Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Watching: Stranger Things S2
Reading: The Perfect Girlfriend
The RPG Thread | Top Gear | Star Wars
User avatar
20%
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by 20% » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:40 pm

I can feel a cold coming on fast.. Getting on a bottle of highland park asap!

Image
User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by kommissarboris » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I have a limited edition Bush mills bottle chillin in the cupboard.

Plans are to open it on very special occation, what that occation is, i'm yet to decide.

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
mysteriousdave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by mysteriousdave » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Had some Aberlour A'bunadh at the Turl Street Kitchen in Oxford last week. Straight on the Christmas list! :nod:

User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by still » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:43 pm

kommissarboris wrote:I have a limited edition Bush mills bottle chillin in the cupboard.

Plans are to open it on very special occation, what that occation is, i'm yet to decide.


I suggest the following occaTions:-

Mickey night ?
Halloween ?
Bonfire Night ?
Christmas Eve ?
Christmas Day ?
New Years Eve ?
New Year's Headache ?
Er Tonight - what with it being a very special night er somewhere for some reason.....

Anyway, whatever the reason - Enjoy !!

User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by kommissarboris » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 pm

still wrote:
kommissarboris wrote:I have a limited edition Bush mills bottle chillin in the cupboard.

Plans are to open it on very special occation, what that occation is, i'm yet to decide.


I suggest the following occaTions:-

Mickey night ?
Halloween ?
Bonfire Night ?
Christmas Eve ?
Christmas Day ?
New Years Eve ?
New Year's Headache ?
Er Tonight - what with it being a very special night er somewhere for some reason.....

Anyway, whatever the reason - Enjoy !!


hmmm, I dunno, it was very expensive whiskey, enough to maybe keep it for the birth of my first child, death of a rich relative, finally becoming leader of the world.

those type of occations, VERY special.

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by still » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:00 pm

kommissarboris wrote:
still wrote:
kommissarboris wrote:I have a limited edition Bush mills bottle chillin in the cupboard.

Plans are to open it on very special occation, what that occation is, i'm yet to decide.


I suggest the following occaTions:-

Mickey night ?
Halloween ?
Bonfire Night ?
Christmas Eve ?
Christmas Day ?
New Years Eve ?
New Year's Headache ?
Er Tonight - what with it being a very special night er somewhere for some reason.....

Anyway, whatever the reason - Enjoy !!


hmmm, I dunno, it was very expensive whiskey, enough to maybe keep it for the birth of my first child, death of a rich relative, finally becoming leader of the world.

those type of occations, VERY special.


So how much did you pay ? The most i've shelled out is £70, (and a few years ago I might add), for an old Ardberg - the best whisky I ever tasted by far. (But my partner did hide it from me for several months until Chrimbo and I was finally allowed to imbibe).

User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by kommissarboris » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Between 60 - 70 snoops.

Honestly I bought other stuff too, so I'm not 100% sure, it was a limited edition set, I'll check it when I get home.

The joys of having Bushmills Distillery about 2 hours drive away, its an awesome place, must go for whiskey lovers (best whiskey in the world btw not biast)

The smells and history, I could live there if they let me :wub:

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The real man's drink: Whisky
by still » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:52 am

kommissarboris wrote:Between 60 - 70 snoops.

Honestly I bought other stuff too, so I'm not 100% sure, it was a limited edition set, I'll check it when I get home.

The joys of having Bushmills Distillery about 2 hours drive away, its an awesome place, must go for whiskey lovers (best whiskey in the world btw not biast)

The smells and history, I could live there if they let me :wub:


You very lucky b*****d !!


Return to “Stuff”