The Running Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Skarjo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Jonathan86 wrote:Short version: Went to a running shop, woman watched me walk, and immediately knew why I was getting sore shins. New fancy trainers ahoy :)


Where was this and how much did the new trainers set you back? As I'm having exactly the same problem.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Slartibartfast
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Caerdydd/Worcestershire

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Slartibartfast » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:10 am

Skarjo wrote:
Jonathan86 wrote:Short version: Went to a running shop, woman watched me walk, and immediately knew why I was getting sore shins. New fancy trainers ahoy :)


Where was this and how much did the new trainers set you back? As I'm having exactly the same problem.


Mind you, in a shop that sells fancy trainers the solution will always be a pair of fancy trainers.

User avatar
Crimson
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Crimson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 am

I started running on a regular basis about a month ago. Nothing major, just around 3.5km every second day. Not training for a competition or anything, just thought it'd be a good way to keep fitness levels at least moderately respectable seeing as prior to this, I didn't get anywhere near enough exercise.

User avatar
Jonathan86
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Glasgow

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Jonathan86 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 am

Skarjo wrote:
Jonathan86 wrote:Short version: Went to a running shop, woman watched me walk, and immediately knew why I was getting sore shins. New fancy trainers ahoy :)


Where was this and how much did the new trainers set you back? As I'm having exactly the same problem.


The shop is called Achilles Heel in Glasgow (Great Western road if you are a Glasgow person). They showed me a variety of trainers, some brands I'd heard of and some I hadn't. I ended up going for a pair of mid-support Nike trainers as they fitted the best. Apparently there are three levels of support iirc; normal, middle and full. I think they cost me £80. Had absolutely no problems since then, but took it easy for a couple of weeks after to be sure.

If you aren't Glasgow-based try Googling for a local running shop. Highly recmmend Achilles Heel to Glasgow forumites though!

EDIT: I forgot to say: although the pain felt like it was in my shins, I think the muscles just above the inside of my ankle had a part to play, and I'm pretty convinced it was because I wasn't stretching those particular muscles after my run. The solution is a stretch similar to the one below:

Image

However, a soft gym-ball or raised object should be placed under the leading foot to raise the toes off the ground by about 45 degrees while still keeping the heel on the ground (the image was purely to show position of the legs). Then switch and do the other foot. You'll be able to tell straight away if you are doing it right

User avatar
Pan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Pan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:50 pm

It's essential to get recorded running on a treadmill before buying trainers. They can tell you exactly the type you need.

I've got a half marathon in Exeter in three weeks. Ran an easy 10miles yesterday in ninety minutes or so, but it was mostly canals and train tracks. I really could do with looking at the course profile.

Los Trabajadores del munda, unen!
User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: The Running Thread
by abcd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:54 pm

I've got the Tough Guy competition in July....

10 miles of cross country with various obstacles in the way.

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

You guys should sign up.


Oh and....


Avon, you're mental :D But kudos to you.

Image
User avatar
Slartibartfast
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Caerdydd/Worcestershire

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Slartibartfast » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Stu wrote:I've got the Tough Guy competition in July....

10 miles of cross country with various obstacles in the way.

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

You guys should sign up.


May very well do this... looks brutal though :|

Me and my housemate wanted to do Oblivion in May (http://www.oblivion.mudrunner.co.uk/) but it clashes with our finals.

Edit - bloody pricey!

User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: The Running Thread
by abcd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:40 pm

I think the price may cover the insurance.

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Qikz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:21 pm

What's the best way of slowly getting to running properly, without running out in the middle of the day worried you look like a massive dick doing it, any ideas?

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: The Running Thread
by abcd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Don't set huge targets to start with.

If you've not been running for a long time, just look at having a 10 minute run where you start at your house and end up back there.

Just try doing 2 runs a week at 10 minutes, and if you feel fine then try 15 minutes.

After a few weeks you'll find that you'll all of sudden be able to go a lot further. Also, a good pair of running trainers will do your feet and legs a world of good. You need the support if you're running on the road, and a early injury when you first start out will put you right off running.

Image
User avatar
Avon
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Avon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Stu wrote:I've got the Tough Guy competition in July....

10 miles of cross country with various obstacles in the way.

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

You guys should sign up.


Oh and....


Avon, you're mental :D But kudos to you.


Stu, I've done the Tough Guy event twice and I can honestly say it was the most enjoyable event I ever participated in. The event is a little over-hyped in terms of difficulty but it's great fun. The start was superb, a couple of thousand people on a hill waiting for a cannon to fire to start you off and then off you go, a braveheart style charge en-masse down the course. Good times!

User avatar
Gorrable
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Gorrable » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Actually, I disagree with Stu. I think it's better to do a 20 minute run, but not run the whole time - do something like 1 min jogging, 1 min walking and repeat. You'll get a better work-out and might find it easier.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Pretty decent plan for genuinely unfit people who want to start running, although it's probably best to improvise and do whatever you feel is pushing your body the right amount.

Games and Stuff.

If you can read this, you're too close.
User avatar
Avon
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Avon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Exxy wrote:Been running little distances, just over a mile in order to work my body into this a little more. I made the mistake last time I started running to do 5k all the time, which meant I lost confidence when I had to stop. I can do 5k pretty well now if I keep myself distracted, talking to my running partner seems to help a lot, same affect music has I suppose.

Pretty big worry is the state of my feet. The muscle between my heel and toes has started to feel odd since I started, as if it's shrunk, meaning I can't really bend my toes properly when I walk. I get sharp stabbing pains mainly down the inside of my foot, which means I have to walk on the outside of my foot which doesn't seem healthy. If I massage the muscle (could just be tissue for all I know) it feels like pressing to hard will bring on cramp. Any ideas what this is?


Exxy, when you run does it feel tender, numb or do you get a tingling feeling. Is the pain under your heel arches? Have you stretched your calf muscles properly before you run? I'm guessing plantar fasciitis but would obviously recommend you seek a professional opinion.

StayDead, I would agree with Gorrable and go for a jog/walk and aim to improve the amount of time you run. Time your jog/walk and aim to improve upon it week after week until you've run the full distance. When you run, plot a few mental milestones (lamp post, marker, end of road..anything) and force yourself to run to the next milestone. Pace and speed is not that important when you're starting out just get used to a long slow jog and build up.

PS - Nice to see the thread "getting up to speed" ;)

User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: The Running Thread
by abcd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Avon wrote:
Stu wrote:I've got the Tough Guy competition in July....

10 miles of cross country with various obstacles in the way.

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

You guys should sign up.


Oh and....


Avon, you're mental :D But kudos to you.


Stu, I've done the Tough Guy event twice and I can honestly say it was the most enjoyable event I ever participated in. The event is a little over-hyped in terms of difficulty but it's great fun. The start was superb, a couple of thousand people on a hill waiting for a cannon to fire to start you off and then off you go, a braveheart style charge en-masse down the course. Good times!



I did think the website was a little over the top, but it certainly looks fun. I might be plugging you nearer the time for advice. :D

Image
User avatar
Avon
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Avon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Stu wrote:
Avon wrote:
Stu wrote:I've got the Tough Guy competition in July....

10 miles of cross country with various obstacles in the way.

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

You guys should sign up.


Oh and....


Avon, you're mental :D But kudos to you.


Stu, I've done the Tough Guy event twice and I can honestly say it was the most enjoyable event I ever participated in. The event is a little over-hyped in terms of difficulty but it's great fun. The start was superb, a couple of thousand people on a hill waiting for a cannon to fire to start you off and then off you go, a braveheart style charge en-masse down the course. Good times!



I did think the website was a little over the top, but it certainly looks fun. I might be plugging you nearer the time for advice. :D


No problem.

I would say though that make sure you don't try and sneak into one of the advance squads (i.e. get a head start on the others). If you get found out, they put you in the stocks and throw dog-shit at you.

I am being serious here. I saw one guy trying to fight the marshals as they spotted him and tried drag him out and put him in the stocks.

User avatar
Exxy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Exxy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Avon wrote:
Exxy wrote:Been running little distances, just over a mile in order to work my body into this a little more. I made the mistake last time I started running to do 5k all the time, which meant I lost confidence when I had to stop. I can do 5k pretty well now if I keep myself distracted, talking to my running partner seems to help a lot, same affect music has I suppose.

Pretty big worry is the state of my feet. The muscle between my heel and toes has started to feel odd since I started, as if it's shrunk, meaning I can't really bend my toes properly when I walk. I get sharp stabbing pains mainly down the inside of my foot, which means I have to walk on the outside of my foot which doesn't seem healthy. If I massage the muscle (could just be tissue for all I know) it feels like pressing to hard will bring on cramp. Any ideas what this is?


Exxy, when you run does it feel tender, numb or do you get a tingling feeling. Is the pain under your heel arches? Have you stretched your calf muscles properly before you run? I'm guessing plantar fasciitis but would obviously recommend you seek a professional opinion.


No other feeling that a sharp jabbing pain mainly along the inside of my foot. I did some research and it seems similar to a minor tendon related injury, with the advice being the just take a break from running. Had a week off and it's done a load of good, no pain at all now :D

Ran 10k yesterday, double what I was previously possible of, I'm pretty pleased that I'm making progress. Off to get some new shoes and some summer kit (shorts, maybe a nylon shirt) tomorrow, then attempting the same route but doing the whole thing, which is about 11.5k I think, sometime soon.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Preezy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 pm

I went for a jog around the block this evening, I've never had so much saliva swilling around my mouth :lol:

So disgustingly unfit :fp:

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Tomous » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:37 am

Really want to do a Marathon and stepped up my running recently...got an app on my Android phone to record my times etc and then playing football last week I've pulled my hamstring quite badly :fp:

User avatar
Exxy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

PostRe: The Running Thread
by Exxy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Got a pair of these today:

http://www.jjbsports.com/adidas-uraha-2 ... duct/10152

Nothing fancy, but I needed shoes quick. Got a pair of shorts and a running top whilst I was there as well, look like a runner now, rather than a chav in a hurry.

User avatar
jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Running Thread
by jamcc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:17 pm

The Crimson Clown wrote:I started running on a regular basis about a month ago. Nothing major, just around 3.5km every second day. Not training for a competition or anything, just thought it'd be a good way to keep fitness levels at least moderately respectable seeing as prior to this, I didn't get anywhere near enough exercise.


That's good. If you keep that up and gradually ramp it up you'll be very fit and notice your energy levels increase.

I'm considering getting back into running, partly for fitness and partly for fat-burning.. Only thing is it's way more effective to run in the morning, before breakfast for burning fat, but I have enough trouble getting to work on time as it is. :fp:

Any ideas? :(


Return to “Stuff”