The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Gemini73 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Bloody tourists. :slol:

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Preezy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am

Moggy wrote:
Ad7 wrote:So I'm not a star wars 'fan' because I haven't watched a children's cartoon?

It's a failing of the film to not have an explanation of why that scene was there. You shouldn't be relying on having watched something aimed at children to understand something in a film that's supposed to be a self contained story and be enjoyed by causal and hard-core fans alike.


You know the films are children’s movies, right?

Young children the world over rejoiced at the thrilling scenes of trade federation tax disputes, galactic politics, the mass execution of younglings, the decapitation of an elderly, unarmed (unhanded!) prisoner of war, the mutilation and severe burning of a major character, endless waves of pilots and soldiers dying in armed combat, the annihilation of entire planets by terrifying superweapons.

They might be marketed at kids, but the content is anything but.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Moggy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ad7 wrote:So I'm not a star wars 'fan' because I haven't watched a children's cartoon?

It's a failing of the film to not have an explanation of why that scene was there. You shouldn't be relying on having watched something aimed at children to understand something in a film that's supposed to be a self contained story and be enjoyed by causal and hard-core fans alike.


You know the films are children’s movies, right?

Young children the world over rejoiced at the thrilling scenes of trade federation tax disputes, galactic politics, the mass execution of younglings, the decapitation of an elderly, unarmed (unhanded!) prisoner of war, the mutilation and severe burning of a major character, endless waves of pilots and soldiers dying in armed combat, the annihilation of entire planets by terrifying superweapons.

They might be marketed at kids, but the content is anything but.


Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Preezy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am

Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Moggy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.


You missed the billion dollar part of that.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Preezy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:06 am

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.


You missed the billion dollar part of that.

What does the value have to do with it? They either make toys for kids or they don't.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Moggy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:14 am

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.


You missed the billion dollar part of that.

What does the value have to do with it? They either make toys for kids or they don't.


Making a few toys for kids and manchildren is different to basing your entire marketing and profit base on selling toys to kids.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Preezy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:24 am

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.


You missed the billion dollar part of that.

What does the value have to do with it? They either make toys for kids or they don't.


Making a few toys for kids and manchildren is different to basing your entire marketing and profit base on selling toys to kids.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the content of the films aren't aimed at children.

I'm not sure what we're arguing about anymore :slol:

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Moggy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.


You missed the billion dollar part of that.

What does the value have to do with it? They either make toys for kids or they don't.


Making a few toys for kids and manchildren is different to basing your entire marketing and profit base on selling toys to kids.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the content of the films aren't aimed at children.

I'm not sure what we're arguing about anymore :slol:


The original three Star Wars movies are all rated “U”. That’s absolutely content that’s aimed at children. :lol:

I’m not really arguing with you, I was responding to Ad7’s bizarre comment that he didn’t want to watch children's cartoons to get more back story on children's live action movies.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Frank » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 am

The toys for the new films have been awful, though. The Last Jedi set new lows for Star Wars ship designs :dread:

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Gemini73 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:17 am

George Lucas once said "Star Wars are childrens movies. I can't help it if adults like them too".

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Denster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Mon Motha, Biggs and Gold leader from new Hope are at comicon next week.

8-)

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Mafro » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 pm


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Gemini73 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:55 pm

Good character. Could be a winner.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 pm

I would mind if they made the book Lords of the Sith into a feature film. That was some top class action.

Cassian didn't seem like a very interesting character to me, but I guess I'd like to see his story told.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Pedz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.


You missed the billion dollar part of that.

What does the value have to do with it? They either make toys for kids or they don't.


Making a few toys for kids and manchildren is different to basing your entire marketing and profit base on selling toys to kids.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the content of the films aren't aimed at children.

I'm not sure what we're arguing about anymore :slol:


The original three Star Wars movies are all rated “U”. That’s absolutely content that’s aimed at children. :lol:

I’m not really arguing with you, I was responding to Ad7’s bizarre comment that he didn’t want to watch children's cartoons to get more back story on children's live action movies.


Movie ratings are odd, a few years back Beetlejuice was rated PG.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Dowbocop » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:04 am

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Movies for adults often have billion dollar toy merchandise and characters like Jar Jar Binks.

Sure they do.

When I was a kid I had loads of Terminator, Aliens and Robocop action figures.


You missed the billion dollar part of that.

What does the value have to do with it? They either make toys for kids or they don't.

Have to agree with Preezy. Robocop and Terminator had items in the toy pages of the Argos catalogue every year when I was growing up, but they 100% were not films aimed at kids.

Actually came in here to post about Solo as I've just watched it. I liked it, thought they got the casting spot on, and it was enjoyable throughout. Spoilers below:

I knew they did some weird spidery gooseberry fool or something with Maul coming back in the cartoons (not seen them, but keen to watch them now!), but I didn't think they'd bring him back into the films. Would have been better if they had Peter Serafinowicz back as well. Interested to see how they develop this.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Dowbocop wrote:Actually came in here to post about Solo as I've just watched it. I liked it, thought they got the casting spot on, and it was enjoyable throughout. Spoilers below:

I knew they did some weird spidery gooseberry fool or something with Maul coming back in the cartoons (not seen them, but keen to watch them now!), but I didn't think they'd bring him back into the films. Would have been better if they had Peter Serafinowicz back as well. Interested to see how they develop this.


Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :toot: I thought it was a genuinely great adventure. My spoilery thoughts below:

It was a total surprise to see Maul back, and it heavily implies some kind of Solo sequel, but given its poor box office performance basically killed the A Star Wars Story film line (the Fett film has been canned, Obi-Wan may not get a film either), I don't see this plot getting resolution. Maybe they'll do a book or comic instead, that seems like the sort of cop-out they'd go for.

I don't know how Solo and Maul could co-exist in a sequel film together though, when we all know Solo doesn't believe in anything Force-related until after he meets Luke. Maul would have to be a supporting character, interacting secretively with other characters (not unlike his master), like Qi'ra, with Solo chasing some other prize, and facing some other villain; his old CO from the war on Mimban, Boba Fett, Bossk, Greedo or someone else.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Gemini73 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Regarding Solo a good point well made, Alvin.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Alvin Flummux » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Additional spoilery thoughts (good lord this took a while!):

A Solo sequel plot could look something like this:

A couple of years have passed, and the Falcon's starting to look pretty shabby, even compared to the end of the first film. It's not ANH bad, but it's pretty bad. Solo & Chewy have adapted well to their new life on the edge of the law, working for anyone with money - mostly Jabba the Hutt, but also others, and they keep getting into scrapes, because it's them. The life isn't easy, but they make it work, together, and they are free. Ish. Qi'ra, meanwhile, under her mysterious boss's tutelage, has become a formidable crime boss in her own right.

One day, Qi'ra runs into the duo "by chance," (totally not by chance really) and offer them a no-strings job for mediocre pay. Money's money and they're feeling a bit penniless, so they take it. Except that they've been grievously mislead - the target is actually valuable as hell, but it was hidden inside the original object (for to smuggle valuables, one must be sneaky) and that object gets bashed to bits in a hectic escape sequence. Anyway, the pair weren't the only ones looking for this thingy (let's say... a long lost Jedi/Sith holocron) - turns out a couple of lean mean bounty hunters (I'm thinking Boba Fett and D'harhan?) were also on its trail, and very quickly corner our heroes before they can offload it. Figuring its worth to be rather monumental, and none of them wanting to give it up, they decide to unite and demand a much larger sum, and split the take 4 ways. Qi'ra refuses, however, so they take off and find a new buyer in the core, and they all proceed to betray each other en route to the galactic capital - someone alerts their bounty hunter friends, someone else alerts an Imperial contact, someone alerts Enfys Nest and maybe Lando too, I don't know. None of them know the others' betrayal, though.

Qi'ra leads the pursuit, but Maul decides to take matters into his own hands and goes to head them off himself.

At some point, the gang figure out they're being chased, so they split up, taking identical-looking packages in different directions to throw off the pursuers, supposedly to reunite on Coruscant.

Qi'ra confronts Solo, who is saved in the midst of a gunfight by Nest's sudden appearance. Maul faces the two bounty hunters, killing their friends and, impressed by the pair's survivability, convinces them to turn on their former partners, and they all head to Coruscant to set up an ambush before the rendezvous. Maul gets called in by his master at this point, leaving the bounty hunters to their bloody business. A scene with Maul & Sidious might involve a minor Vader cameo, perhaps Tarkin, and/or cameo mentions of rebellions and whatnot, maybe a clarification of Maul's role in the Imperial order to the audience.

An Imperial fleet, hastily arranged, blocks the path to Coruscant, but Chewy gets sneaky and passes it by while it's still forming up, while Solo and Nest find themselves stuck figuring out a way past it - they eventually settle on piggybacking the Falcon on the back of a very large freighter, right in its sensor blind spot. It'll take a lot longer than they'd like, but it works.

Chewy gets planetside and confronts the bounty hunters, and they get into this big fight, which is turned on its head as that Imperial contact, never a reliable chap, leads a Stormtrooper division to the site and aims bring them all down.

D'harhan is wounded most horribly in the ensuing firefight, which sees the Imperial commander killed (or at least wounded), and both Fett and Chewy also suffer some minor injuries, but all three make it to one of their ships and escape, heading to the rendezvous site. At about this time, Maul re-emerges from his meeting and sets off in hot pursuit, while Solo and Nest are finally down to the planet's surface. The two groups swap the real item for a fake one, and the exchange goes off without a hitch, Maul arriving just a little too late, killing the mystery buyer and taking the fake object instead.

Qi'ra, who knows Solo well enough to figure the ruse out, boards his ship while the exchange weon and at gunpoint orders him to hand over the real deal when they get back. After a tense exchange, Chewy blows her legs off with his bowcaster and they lay her in a flower bed near the landing site to die in peace. Maul recovers her and she gets his hand-me-down spider legs and plots revenge. D'harhan recovers as well, and gets his badass head-mounted cannon.

Cue the threequel.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frank, Google [Bot], Photek, Snowcannon and 58 guests