The Tennis Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Preezy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Pancake wrote:Screw the haters, Federer is awesome.

Preach on, brother o/

Image
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Pancake » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Preezy wrote:
Pancake wrote:Screw the haters, Federer is awesome.

Preach on, brother o/

\o

Moggy wrote:He's a great player. He just looks like the lovechild of Jimmy Carr and Quentin Tarantino.

Cannot unsee

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by DML » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Would like to see Fed win but Cilic is in great form. Anyone but Nadal the possible drug cheat is my mantra.

Gotta love Djoko going out. Got to be the worst attempt to regain Number 1 this century.

Image
PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by PES Fan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:52 pm

DML wrote:Would like to see Fed win but Cilic is in great form. Anyone but Nadal the possible drug cheat is my mantra.

Gotta love Djoko going out. Got to be the worst attempt to regain Number 1 this century.


Why do you keep calling Rafa a drugs cheat without any proof? I take it Murray and Djokovic are drug cheats too because they are awesome at defending the baseline.

And why do you always have a go at the other three but never Murray? Again worst attempt at number 1. Well Murray has been the worst and luckiest number 1. He's lucky like I said last year that Federer and Nadal got injured. Their problem was dealing with Djokovic not Murray. I remember when I was getting laughed at by you and Moggy for suggesting Fed could win another slam. Here we are that he is close to getting another slam. I don't think he's going to let this one go as he seems fully motivated.

PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by PES Fan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Kanbei wrote:
Denster wrote:Just come out of the opera and seen the news!

Murray :lol:

Shittest World No1 this century?


Marat Safin was World Number 1 for like 2 weeks or something so definitely not :lol:


That wasn't just down to Safin though. He probably got knocked out one tournament early and the player behind him was probably just a few points behind. I don't think that's ridiculous. Or it could have been that the player who was trailing Safin had no points to defend as he didn't play in a tournament the previous year and that's how he overtook Safin. That's like laughing because Man Utd were on top of the table for a few hours before Chelsea played. It's not like Safin lost 14 matches in a row in two weeks.

Murray has been world number 1 for 7 months and only won one tournament. Wawrinka and Djokovic have been shite. So it's been left with the two injured players from last year to chase him. Scary thing is that Federer has no points to defend after Wimbledon. It's a matter of when not if he becomes number 1.

User avatar
Gandalf
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Gandalf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:10 pm

strawberry float off Murray. And that shot of him 'limping' away in the car park. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: First class Scottish banana split.

C'mon Jo :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 pm

PES Fan wrote:I remember when I was getting laughed at by you and Moggy for suggesting Fed could win another slam. Here we are that he is close to getting another slam. I don't think he's going to let this one go as he seems fully motivated.


You've said that a few times, but I don't recall laughing at you (DML might have).

I once said Federer was too old to be a serious contender anymore. And he is! Way too strawberry floating old to be winning tennis grand slams! Like really really old! This isn't chess, snooker or darts, tennis players shouldn't be able to do it at his age.

The fact that he won the Aussie and looks like winning Wimbledon is remarkable and a credit to one of the greatest athletes not just in tennis but in all sports.

But it doesn't change the fact that he's old.

Image
User avatar
Harry Ellis
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Harry Ellis » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Urgh. Today's results could not have been any worse. Might as well eliminate Konta in the semis and I can be done with this year's event.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Rocksleddy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Rocksleddy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Gandalf wrote:strawberry float off Murray. And that shot of him 'limping' away in the car park. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: First class Scottish banana split.

C'mon Jo :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Aye alright dickhead

Image
PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by PES Fan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Moggy wrote:
PES Fan wrote:I remember when I was getting laughed at by you and Moggy for suggesting Fed could win another slam. Here we are that he is close to getting another slam. I don't think he's going to let this one go as he seems fully motivated.


You've said that a few times, but I don't recall laughing at you (DML might have).

I once said Federer was too old to be a serious contender anymore. And he is! Way too strawberry floating old to be winning tennis grand slams! Like really really old! This isn't chess, snooker or darts, tennis players shouldn't be able to do it at his age.

The fact that he won the Aussie and looks like winning Wimbledon is remarkable and a credit to one of the greatest athletes not just in tennis but in all sports.

But it doesn't change the fact that he's old.


Tennis is changing though.

Even the older plays not including Federer are doing well. Nadal won the French at 31. Lopez won Queens at 35. Wawrinka has done well in recent years.

Querry and Muller doing well at Wimbledon. Cillic and Berdych aren't young guns.

The days of seeing a Becker or Nadal come along and start winning slams are gone in the men's game.

User avatar
Snowcannon
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: New York

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Snowcannon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 am

So, am I the only one hoping for a Querrey-Berdych final?

User avatar
Schiess dem Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Schiess dem Denster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:16 am

DML wrote:Would like to see Fed win but Cilic is in great form. Anyone but Nadal the possible drug cheat is my mantra.

Gotta love Djoko going out. Got to be the worst attempt to regain Number 1 this century.


Bless.

User avatar
Harry Ellis
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Harry Ellis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 am

Snowcannon wrote:So, am I the only one hoping for a Querrey-Berdych final?

I'd take it.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Tineash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 am

DML wrote:Would like to see Fed win but Cilic is in great form. Anyone but Nadal the possible drug cheat is my mantra


strawberry float off with that lazy bullshit

Especially as Cilic actually served a ban, but that doesn't even seem to merit a mention :lol:

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by DML » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:38 am

Federer is clearly the greatest ever. I love watching Federer play, and he has great humility off the court. For me he's what a sportsman should be. Showmanship but with grace and personality as well. A year ago it might have seemed unlikely and his chance had gone, but surely no one could fully write him off? After all if anyone can do it its him.

Nadal being a drugs cheat us a pretty well know theory thanks to the timing and length of time he has had off. It holds a little bit too much water for me, so Id support the other three over him. After all none of the others have had an incredibly convenient amount of time out of tennis.

Murray? I don't tend to pass judgment on him because there are plenty of others who are here to do that, I just like to support him and point out his obvious qualities. I remember when people thought he was another Henman, they clearly weren't paying attention to his game. Murray has flaws for sure, but I have respect for him for rising to the top of the game at the greatest time in tennis history.

Djokovic has the more boring game, but I have such respect for his all around game, guys a machine. Djoko vs one of the other three is always a good game but play someone else and he tends to terminate them.

I predicted Fed and Muguruza before the tournament, both are still in. However I can definitely see Cilic getting his second grand slam.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Gandalf wrote:strawberry float off Murray. And that shot of him 'limping' away in the car park. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: First class Scottish banana split.

C'mon Jo :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Aye alright dickhead


But but but he once said he didn't want England to win a football match. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Image
User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Tineash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:48 am

DML wrote:Nadal being a drugs cheat us a pretty well know theory thanks to the timing and length of time he has had off. It holds a little bit too much water for me, so Id support the other three over him. After all none of the others have had an incredibly convenient amount of time out of tennis.


Federer just took 6 months off and came back winning everything, you dipshit.

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by DML » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:52 am

Tineash wrote:
DML wrote:Nadal being a drugs cheat us a pretty well know theory thanks to the timing and length of time he has had off. It holds a little bit too much water for me, so Id support the other three over him. After all none of the others have had an incredibly convenient amount of time out of tennis.


Federer just took 6 months off and came back winning everything, you dipshit.


Don't call me a dipshit. I didn't say it did happen, Im saying it could have happened.

Regardless, Nadal is my least favorite of the four.

Image
User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by Tineash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 am

Don't be a dipshit if you don't wanna be called a dipshit.

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Tennis Thread
by DML » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 am

Tineash wrote:Don't be a dipshit if you don't wanna be called a dipshit.


Oh well. Nadal is out anyway. Let's get hack to talking about the eight players still able to win Wimbledon.

Image

Return to “Stuff”