The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Anything to do with games at all.
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Glowy69 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Just checked out my achievements compared to others...Codename 47..over 30 days playtime..explain yourself! :lol:

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Fade » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:12 am

The combat in this game is horrendous.

Why doesn't the game indicate when enemies get super armour and just plough through your attacks.

I was fighting a boss earlier and this witch lady was helping me, sometimes her lightning bolt would make the boss stagger and sometimes it wouldn't.

Sometimes my hits stagger an enemy, other times they don't.

Unless I'm missing something it's definitely one of those games where they have a gooseberry fool load of grindy stuff to try and cover up how weak the combat is.

I really like the story but the combat and RPG gooseberry fool is a chore. I may as well just watch a play through.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Saint of Killers » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:41 am

Choosing to watch someone play the one of the games of the gen? Madness.

Stick it on easy so at least the combat isn't a chore.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jam-Master Jay » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Fade wrote:The combat in this game is horrendous.

Why doesn't the game indicate when enemies get super armour and just plough through your attacks.

I was fighting a boss earlier and this witch lady was helping me, sometimes her lightning bolt would make the boss stagger and sometimes it wouldn't.

Sometimes my hits stagger an enemy, other times they don't.

Unless I'm missing something it's definitely one of those games where they have a gooseberry fool load of grindy stuff to try and cover up how weak the combat is.

I really like the story but the combat and RPG gooseberry fool is a chore. I may as well just watch a play through.


Many enemies have a weakness to a certain type of attack, be it a sign, parry/counter, fast/heavy attack or ranged. You then have the option of oils and potions etc. that can further tip the battle in your favour. It's true that at the start you're not the most capable of fighters, but as you level up you expand your capability to prepare, attack and counter dramatically. The combat isn't weak at all, you just have to pay attention to the enemy type, best counter and time your attacks rather than mashing buttons like a lot of simpler games.

As for grinding, there really isn't much in The Witcher 3. Standard exploration and completion of contracts and side quests should have you more than ready for any challenge in the late game.

I really don't understand why you'd want to watch someone else play arguably the best game of the generation rather than adapt and experience it yourself.

Image
User avatar
Crimson
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Crimson » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:02 pm

Jam-Master Jay wrote:
Fade wrote:The combat in this game is horrendous.

Why doesn't the game indicate when enemies get super armour and just plough through your attacks.

I was fighting a boss earlier and this witch lady was helping me, sometimes her lightning bolt would make the boss stagger and sometimes it wouldn't.

Sometimes my hits stagger an enemy, other times they don't.

Unless I'm missing something it's definitely one of those games where they have a gooseberry fool load of grindy stuff to try and cover up how weak the combat is.

I really like the story but the combat and RPG gooseberry fool is a chore. I may as well just watch a play through.


Many enemies have a weakness to a certain type of attack, be it a sign, parry/counter, fast/heavy attack or ranged. You then have the option of oils and potions etc. that can further tip the battle in your favour. It's true that at the start you're not the most capable of fighters, but as you level up you expand your capability to prepare, attack and counter dramatically. The combat isn't weak at all, you just have to pay attention to the enemy type, best counter and time your attacks rather than mashing buttons like a lot of simpler games.

As for grinding, there really isn't much in The Witcher 3. Standard exploration and completion of contracts and side quests should have you more than ready for any challenge in the late game.

I really don't understand why you'd want to watch someone else play arguably the best game of the generation rather than adapt and experience it yourself.

This is good advice.

It takes some getting used to but I found the combat to be very enjoyable after getting to grips with it.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Squinty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Played this for a few hours today again. Learning more each time I play. Not a bad game and definitely more enjoyable than the second game so far.

I don't think it's absolutely flawless, but I am enjoying my time with it. I think I must be around the same point as Fade. Just started a quest where you follow a blonde witch into a dungeon.

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Fade » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:31 pm

I think I wouldn't mind the combat as much if the checkpoints weren't really bad and you didn't have to go through a minute long loading screen when you die.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Squinty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Combat isn't really that enjoyable so far. That's more to do how crap the character movement/physics are. Maybe I'll start to enjoy it more, although I'm happy enough playing RPG's with terrible combat (pretty much every Bethesda RPG).

Movement seems similar to something you'd find in a GTA game. It's sometimes hard getting Geralt to do certain actions. Like mounting his horse or going through doorways.

User avatar
Crimson
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Crimson » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Squinty wrote:Combat isn't really that enjoyable so far. That's more to do how crap the character movement/physics are. Maybe I'll start to enjoy it more, although I'm happy enough playing RPG's with terrible combat (pretty much every Bethesda RPG).

Movement seems similar to something you'd find in a GTA game. It's sometimes hard getting Geralt to do certain actions. Like mounting his horse or going through doorways.

Make sure to turn on the alternative movement option, feels much better.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Squinty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

User avatar
Fargo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Fargo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Any word on a Neo patch for this?

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Squinty » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Main quest has a decent story. Just done the bit in the bog and the bit with the dead fetus guy. That was really flipping weird.

Still not fussed on the moment by moment gameplay in this. It's a bit of a slog to get around the world and the combat isn't as good or responsive as it could be.

And yet, I've played it for several hours today. It must be doing something right, I guess. It's definitely giving me the same kind of impressions that Xenoblade Chronicles X gave me. Flawed as strawberry float, but I can't put it down.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Tafdolphin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:10 am

Once you hit a decent level, nothing will challenge you, combat wise. I had to whack the difficulty up to max and was still sailing through.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Knoyleo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:03 pm

There's another server stress test for the Gwent card game this evening, if anyone wants to attempt to try it out briefly. PC only.

https://www.gog.com/news/gwent_kill_the ... _is_coming

User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by smurphy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:09 am

It's really surprising how quickly I've fallen out with this game. There's no doubt it's absolutely amazing, but it feels like every time I complete a quest it unlocks 5 more with no end in sight. The game just keeps exponentially expanding and it's making we very weary. I've tried just sticking to the main quest, but I ended up getting 6 sub-quests at once and I nearly fainted.

It doesn't help that you can only track a single quest at a time. I could be walking by objectives that I could complete quickly but I'll never know because it isn't on my map. I think there's a mod to fix this actually... I don't know why I never had this problem with Skyrim etc. They are equally as expansive.

Looks strawberry floating amazing though. I've been waiting to overclock my CPU and get more RAM before playing, and my god it's beautiful. By the far the prettiest game I've ever had running on my machine.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Brerlappin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:29 am

smurphy wrote:It's really surprising how quickly I've fallen out with this game. There's no doubt it's absolutely amazing, but it feels like every time I complete a quest it unlocks 5 more with no end in sight. The game just keeps exponentially expanding and it's making we very weary. I've tried just sticking to the main quest, but I ended up getting 6 sub-quests at once and I nearly fainted.

It doesn't help that you can only track a single quest at a time. I could be walking by objectives that I could complete quickly but I'll never know because it isn't on my map. I think there's a mod to fix this actually... I don't know why I never had this problem with Skyrim etc. They are equally as expansive.

Looks strawberry floating amazing though. I've been waiting to overclock my CPU and get more RAM before playing, and my god it's beautiful. By the far the prettiest game I've ever had running on my machine.


Im in the same boat. Ive still not even finished it. The game really suffers from open world bloat if you ask me. Not sure ill ever finish it at this stage, to be honest the main quest just got really dull, i didnt care about it at all. Combined with the gooseberry fool combat, gooseberry fool inventory management, 10 gorilion sub quests which pretty much all turn out to be shitty fetch quests, and i really dont see how this game is as highly praised as it it. Its like people love to give Fallout 4 gooseberry fool for being a good shooter but a poor RPG, well Witcher 3 is a few amazing quests and some of the worst gameplay to grace a AAA game EVER. Honestly Witcher 2 was a way better game IMO

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Photek » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:38 am

I can't disagree more, I'll admit I got a bit tired of things half way (I do with most games tbh) but if you give it a break and go back in, it's worthy of its glowing reviews. It's one of the best games this gen easily, the story is a class above other RPG's, you can't comment on it if you haven't finished it. Also there aren't actually that many side quests, and the majority of them are first rate, it reminds me of Oblivion and Skyrim that way.

I also disagree that it's bloated, I mean it's not like Assassins Creed with icons upon icons upon icons, that really IS bloat, in The Witcher 3 you'll visit towns that offer nothing to do at all, but they are there all the same, commenting on you as you gallop past. A major plus point in The Witcher 3 is Geralt, he's one of the best fully realised characters in years, his gruff persona belies his caring side and his many many comedy moments, all the voice work is accomplished actually. #teamtriss

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Fade » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:47 pm

It felt bloated to me, I just wanted to play the story but all of the rpg stuff was stressing me out.

and the combat was pretty substandard, which I guess is why they added all the rpg stuff to try and give it more depth.

Image
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Jam-Master Jay » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:01 pm

I really need to get back into this and finish Blood and Wine. Perhaps I'll test my new 1070 out on this when it comes.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Squinty » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:55 pm

Played about 30 hours of this and then shelved it. Really mediocre gameplay killed it for me.

Definitely a case of style over actual substance. The world building was great, production values were amazing. But it completely misses that crucial element that every video game needs. Actually being fun and gratifying.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Diceman, Frank, HailToTheKingBaby!, Hime, Manwell Pablo, Parksey, Photek and 45 guests