The Wrestling Thread II: WrestleMania 33 - 7 HOURS

Our best bits.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by KK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Floex wrote:This weeks Raw has hit the lowest ratings since 1997, everything is going well then.

WrestleMania season. :datass:

I don't think Vince or WWE seem to care any more. They've got the Network, they for the moment have their TV deals, and in terms of revenue they're positively raking it in from all angles.

I think people are still consuming RAW and SmackDown, but we're no longer sitting there watching for 3 solid hours Live every week, watching 45 minutes worth of adverts in the process.

Image
User avatar
IAmTheSantaMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by IAmTheSantaMan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned round here yet but Jim Ross's wife has passed away after being in what sounded like a pretty nasty road traffic accident. From what I gather she was knocked of her Vespa, received multiple fractures to the skull and was in ICU for a good while but passed away last night.

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Surprised this hasn't been mentioned round here yet but Jim Ross's wife has passed away after being in what sounded like a pretty nasty road traffic accident. From what I gather she was knocked of her Vespa, received multiple fractures to the skull and was in ICU for a good while but passed away last night.


I hadn't heard about this. That's sad.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
IAmTheSantaMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by IAmTheSantaMan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Surprised this hasn't been mentioned round here yet but Jim Ross's wife has passed away after being in what sounded like a pretty nasty road traffic accident. From what I gather she was knocked of her Vespa, received multiple fractures to the skull and was in ICU for a good while but passed away last night.


I hadn't heard about this. That's sad.


It's all over Twitter.

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Surprised this hasn't been mentioned round here yet but Jim Ross's wife has passed away after being in what sounded like a pretty nasty road traffic accident. From what I gather she was knocked of her Vespa, received multiple fractures to the skull and was in ICU for a good while but passed away last night.


I hadn't heard about this. That's sad.


It's all over Twitter.


Don't use Twitter. I use KKLEIN for all my wrestling related news, he failed me.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by Saigon Slick » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

That's terrible news. RIP.

Image Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by KK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:53 am



ITV (Helen Warner being the executive to sign off on it) were very happy with the combined viewership from New Years Eve and on-demand. The show will remain on ITV and will now be produced by Jeff Jarrett, in front of a proper wrestling crowd and will run for 10 weeks. Tentative time slot of 5pm on Saturday.

So there will now be 3 wrestling organisations on free TV (WOS, IMPACT and 5Star). I bet WWE can barely believe it.

Image
User avatar
SerialCeler
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Booripides
Location: Stuck in the Tron machine

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: The Road To WrestleMania 33
by SerialCeler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:17 pm

KKLEIN wrote:So there will now be 3 wrestling organisations on free TV (WOS, IMPACT and 5Star). I bet WWE can barely believe it.


I would be surprised if 5 Star returned to Spike, given it's now got Impact. It struck me the first 5 Star show was a tester to see if the audience was out there to watch wresting on Spike.

Image

Latest GRecommends: Vote for your top 10 SNES games (deadline 30 December)

Nintendo Network ID: SerialCeler (Switch: 5559-9603-3982) | Xbox Live: Serial Celer
BAKA
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by BAKA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Isn't the 5Star thing an actual TV channel that's getting Explosion?

I hope Mauro get's better soon, Phillips is a little bland.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by KK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:48 pm

BAKA wrote:Isn't the 5Star thing an actual TV channel that's getting Explosion?

It is yes, but it's also the name of the wrestling promotion that aired on Spike a few months ago. They changed the name though because of that very fact. On TV they referred to it as Dominant Wrestling.

Image
BAKA
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by BAKA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Watching NXT and seeing how they're building how 'devastating' Ember Moon's Eclipse finisher is, it feels very much like Asuka is losing the belt at TakeOver. This week it felt like Asuka had turned heel too :?

I just realised all of my favs are likely losing come WrestleMania weekend. Asuka, Taker, Styles and Banks. :cry:

User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by Dig Dug » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:41 am

On the bright side Asuka losing the belt would mean she'll be joining the main shows. Actually that's terrible news as WWE network is the only thing I have for watching wrestling and the match quality on Raw (if she goes there) doesn't excite me.

User avatar
Mafrozen
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by Mafrozen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:51 am

Just noticed earlier they've put up a bunch of old NXTs, seems to be from 2012 onwards.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by captain red dog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 am

It's weird really that the WWE UK championship seems to have been the bigger failure between that and WOS. I think WOS has real potential as 90s kids who grew up with WWE before the attitude era want to bring their kids into it without paying Sky subs.

User avatar
Mafrozen
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by Mafrozen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:32 pm

The UK tournament was never going to be that big with it restricted to a niche streaming service vs World of Sport that was on national free-to-air TV. Looks like the wrestlers from that are being restricted to NXT too which further limits their exposure.

Sky's vice-like grip over the WWE rights is severely limiting it in the UK, no idea why they can't put any of the highlight shows or 205 Live or something on one of the many channels they have on Freeview.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by Slimgrady » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Mafro wrote:The UK tournament was never going to be that big with it restricted to a niche streaming service vs World of Sport that was on national free-to-air TV. Looks like the wrestlers from that are being restricted to NXT too which further limits their exposure.

Sky's vice-like grip over the WWE rights is severely limiting it in the UK, no idea why they can't put any of the highlight shows or 205 Live or something on one of the many channels they have on Freeview.

It's not just that sky have it, it's that they insist on putting it on sky sports, limiting the audience further! I don't know if that's sky's or WWE's decision but it's a silly one. They show Raw highlights on Sky One so it's not like they think it's hardcore sports enthusiasts that watch it. Also it's not a sport.

ImageImage
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Slimgrady wrote:
Mafro wrote:The UK tournament was never going to be that big with it restricted to a niche streaming service vs World of Sport that was on national free-to-air TV. Looks like the wrestlers from that are being restricted to NXT too which further limits their exposure.

Sky's vice-like grip over the WWE rights is severely limiting it in the UK, no idea why they can't put any of the highlight shows or 205 Live or something on one of the many channels they have on Freeview.

It's not just that sky have it, it's that they insist on putting it on sky sports, limiting the audience further! I don't know if that's sky's or WWE's decision but it's a silly one. They show Raw highlights on Sky One so it's not like they think it's hardcore sports enthusiasts that watch it. Also it's not a sport.


Yeah i find it odd that Sky don't have a weekly SD highlights show on Sky One but my assumption on that is that they don't understand how wwe works that they think the RAW highlights are enough for people to catch up on.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by KK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:27 pm

The ratings are genuinely now so bad for WWE on Sky Sports the fact neither Sky or WWE have proactively done something about it boggles my mind. To be honest they've done strawberry float all, instead letting it pad out Sky Sports 3 and 5 with the same handful of From The Vault clips on endless repeat. WWE is on Sky Sports Mix during the week via Main Event (lame duck show since WWE/Sky cocked-up the rights agreement) and Experience but neither does very well at all (always well under 10,000 viewers...if they're lucky). Main Event should be bumped over to Pick TV at the very least. That WWE still has no presence on Freeview is stupid. About 1.5 to 2 million are now watching RAW and SmackDown highlights on YouTube, though that is obviously a worldwide figure.

How can you positively spin RAW Live losing 75% of its audience in the space of a few years I don't know. But then you look at the viewership for Sky Sports in general now outside of the Premier League and it's abysmal. Everything from top to bottom has declined. NFL last season was a total disaster. Congratulations, 20,000 people watched your programme...whoop-de-fucking-do. But a lot of sports organisations have their fingers in their ears. They'd rather take the nice big cheque (and what Sky paid for WWE last time out was enormous) and ignore that less than 1% of the population is actually watching it.

IMPACT WRESTLING is now on the best channel(s) its ever been on in its entire history, a nonentity like 5 Star can find itself on primetime at 8pm, and World of Sport is being watched by 2 million people on the 2nd biggest channel in the UK. And WWE in their complacency has let it happen. And I'm glad, WWE needs a kick up the arse. It's not coming from the US market, especially if they end up purchasing Ring of Honor. Ignoring Japan and Mexico, World of Sport is the biggest wrestling brand left. And if they get given 5pm on a Saturday, there's no excuse. That rough time slot has heritage when it comes to wrestling on both sides of the Atlantic. ITV do appear to be listening though; they're moving WOS out of their TV studio and sticking it in front of a wrestling crowd. To have wrestling on ITV1, on the most popular day of the week for the channel...that's pretty amazing. I hope Jeff Jarrett and those in charge don't bugger it up. They've got 10 weeks to play with, at least.

Image
User avatar
Mafrozen
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by Mafrozen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Didn't realise things on Sky Sports were that bad. They should at least put This Week in WWE on Pick TV.

And how ICW and Progress have never managed to get a TV deal in the UK after all these years but that 5 Star promotion did I'll never know. Feels like they've kinda shot themselves in the foot signing a deal with WWE since that severely limited their exposure in the UK even more now, especially with WoS now being a permanent thing and the opportunity to appear on that.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread II: ITV recommission World Of Sport Wrestling
by Fade » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Niche show on a niche channel doesn't get a lot of viewers. I find that truly shocking.

Image

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests