The Wrestling Thread III

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
shadow202
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: RE: Re: The Wrestling Thread III
by shadow202 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:
Mafro wrote:Just seen on WWE's instagram that Jeff Jarrett is going into the Hall of Fame this year. Didn't Vince hate him or something? Does Jarrett have rights to footage they're after for the Network?


He held Vince for ransom when he was intercontinental champion with no contract in 99. He said unless Vince paid a silly amount of money he wouldn't drop the belt to Chyna before leaving for wcw the next day.

Then TNA obviously.

Very weird but we've seen how wwe love having power over people coming crawling back.
Bruce Pritchard on his podcast has said that story isn't true, he said what happened was JJ's contract had finished the day before the PPV and he was going to WCW so he told Vince he wanted the house shows he'd already worked etc all paid to him because they are usually paid something like 6 weeks after and he was afraid if he left without getting the pay he would never see it.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by Mafro » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Bizarre that he's going in to the Hall of Fame before his dad, but then again a lot of the inductees for this are for weird reasons.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by DML » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Mafro wrote:
DML wrote:
KK wrote:
Slimgrady wrote:Speaking of shitty wrestling, what’s the story with the World of Sport reboot that was meant to be happening?

ITV had the venue and tapings booked in conjunction with Anthem Sports but that then fell through for some reason, which may have been in part to Jeff Jarrett leaving and the whole Global Force Wrestling mess. They were supposed to be producing the content for ITV and World of Sport. Don Callis (new executive Vice President for IMPACT) did an interview earlier this year saying they’re hopeful the opportunity to work with ITV arises again. The latest however was ITV and WWE were in talks to air King of the Ring, which would be the U.K. show that WWE had planned to air on the WWE Network.

I get the impression ITV want wrestling on the network but haven’t yet figured out how to go about it. A few years ago WWE also wanted the World of Sport tapes but ITV weren’t interested in selling.

At the latest WWE Conference Call though, WWE mentioned working with Sky for a UK series.

ITSMILNER wrote:Did Rob Van Dam screw up and kick the wrong guy in the face :slol: he looked away with the fairies to be honest

Felt like a WCW main event finish, nobody had a clue what was going on.


So wait, after all the flak I took for predicting WoS Wrestling wouldnt get recomissioned...I was right huh?

I don't think the reason the deal hasn't happened yet was due to the reasons you said, but god bless you and your constant need to have your massive ego fuelled by the smallest things :lol:



Well it is, as basically all money for TV shows comes from the TV channel. I'm just giving the ridiculous amount of stick I got back.

Mafro in being an utter prick shocker. The Man United Photek.

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by KK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 pm

It was recommissioned for 10 weeks, with possible extension. ITV, in conjunction with IMPACT WRESTLING, had actually upgraded the tapings from a TV studio to Preston Guild Hall, to be taped over 2 nights. The feeling being that the World of Sport that went out on New Year’s Eve was too ‘game showy’ and it was now going to be what you’d expect a wrestling show to look like. A multitude of outside forces since then mean it’s not currently on the air (some known, such as Anthem Entertainment/Global Force Wrestling/TNA Wrestling/IMPACT WRESTLING being in a constant state of upheaval, Jeff Jarrett - who helped put the deal together and was pivotal in both the March 2017 press release and press conference - being an alcoholic and ultimately leaving the company). Since that point WWE has been in talks with various channels, one being ITV, to bring back King of the Ring under a new guise, which is why WWE’s planned UK show on the WWE Network also still hasn’t materialised.

It’s hardly surprising that ITV cannot just magic up their own wrestling programme. I’d rather they get it right rather than end up with something like the shambolic, and overly ambitious, 5StarWrestling that is currently going out Live on Freesports every Thursday.

Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by DML » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:38 pm

KK wrote:It was recommissioned for 10 weeks, with possible extension. ITV, in conjunction with IMPACT WRESTLING, had actually upgraded the tapings from a TV studio to Preston Guild Hall, to be taped over 2 nights. The feeling being that the World of Sport that went out on New Year’s Eve was too ‘game showy’ and it was now going to be what you’d expect a wrestling show to look like. A multitude of outside forces since then mean it’s not currently on the air (some known, such as Anthem Entertainment/Global Force Wrestling/TNA Wrestling/IMPACT WRESTLING being in a constant state of upheaval, Jeff Jarrett - who helped put the deal together and was pivotal in both the March 2017 press release and press conference - being an alcoholic and ultimately leaving the company). Since that point WWE has been in talks with various channels, one being ITV, to bring back King of the Ring under a new guise, which is why WWE’s planned UK show on the WWE Network also still hasn’t materialised.

It’s hardly surprising that ITV cannot just magic up their own wrestling programme. I’d rather they get it right rather than end up with something like the shambolic, and overly ambitious, 5StarWrestling that is currently going out Live on Freesports every Thursday.


Hey I'd like wrestling on mainstream TV as much as the next guy, but this is one of those few occassions I can offer a little insight in your wrestling world. Almost every TV show has conditions it must meet for it to go out. Quite often, money needs to be stumped up from the other side to make things happen, and this can get higher depending on the risk of the project. No show has been 'recomissioned' if it doesn't get filmed...otherwise theres absolutely tonnes of shows that could claim to be recommissioned. It always seemed a bit of a long shot to me, and with so many outside influences it only makes that more difficult. I imagine in the end the risk prevented the filming of a new show.

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm

DML wrote:
KK wrote:It was recommissioned for 10 weeks, with possible extension. ITV, in conjunction with IMPACT WRESTLING, had actually upgraded the tapings from a TV studio to Preston Guild Hall, to be taped over 2 nights. The feeling being that the World of Sport that went out on New Year’s Eve was too ‘game showy’ and it was now going to be what you’d expect a wrestling show to look like. A multitude of outside forces since then mean it’s not currently on the air (some known, such as Anthem Entertainment/Global Force Wrestling/TNA Wrestling/IMPACT WRESTLING being in a constant state of upheaval, Jeff Jarrett - who helped put the deal together and was pivotal in both the March 2017 press release and press conference - being an alcoholic and ultimately leaving the company). Since that point WWE has been in talks with various channels, one being ITV, to bring back King of the Ring under a new guise, which is why WWE’s planned UK show on the WWE Network also still hasn’t materialised.

It’s hardly surprising that ITV cannot just magic up their own wrestling programme. I’d rather they get it right rather than end up with something like the shambolic, and overly ambitious, 5StarWrestling that is currently going out Live on Freesports every Thursday.


Hey I'd like wrestling on mainstream TV as much as the next guy, but this is one of those few occassions I can offer a little insight in your wrestling world. Almost every TV show has conditions it must meet for it to go out. Quite often, money needs to be stumped up from the other side to make things happen, and this can get higher depending on the risk of the project. No show has been 'recomissioned' if it doesn't get filmed...otherwise theres absolutely tonnes of shows that could claim to be recommissioned. It always seemed a bit of a long shot to me, and with so many outside influences it only makes that more difficult. I imagine in the end the risk prevented the filming of a new show.


Clearly DML has a game show in the works with itv and took up all the budget meant for wrestling :x

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by DML » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
DML wrote:
KK wrote:It was recommissioned for 10 weeks, with possible extension. ITV, in conjunction with IMPACT WRESTLING, had actually upgraded the tapings from a TV studio to Preston Guild Hall, to be taped over 2 nights. The feeling being that the World of Sport that went out on New Year’s Eve was too ‘game showy’ and it was now going to be what you’d expect a wrestling show to look like. A multitude of outside forces since then mean it’s not currently on the air (some known, such as Anthem Entertainment/Global Force Wrestling/TNA Wrestling/IMPACT WRESTLING being in a constant state of upheaval, Jeff Jarrett - who helped put the deal together and was pivotal in both the March 2017 press release and press conference - being an alcoholic and ultimately leaving the company). Since that point WWE has been in talks with various channels, one being ITV, to bring back King of the Ring under a new guise, which is why WWE’s planned UK show on the WWE Network also still hasn’t materialised.

It’s hardly surprising that ITV cannot just magic up their own wrestling programme. I’d rather they get it right rather than end up with something like the shambolic, and overly ambitious, 5StarWrestling that is currently going out Live on Freesports every Thursday.


Hey I'd like wrestling on mainstream TV as much as the next guy, but this is one of those few occassions I can offer a little insight in your wrestling world. Almost every TV show has conditions it must meet for it to go out. Quite often, money needs to be stumped up from the other side to make things happen, and this can get higher depending on the risk of the project. No show has been 'recomissioned' if it doesn't get filmed...otherwise theres absolutely tonnes of shows that could claim to be recommissioned. It always seemed a bit of a long shot to me, and with so many outside influences it only makes that more difficult. I imagine in the end the risk prevented the filming of a new show.


Clearly DML has a game show in the works with itv and took up all the budget meant for wrestling :x


Well.... :shifty:

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by Mafro » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm

KK wrote:It was recommissioned for 10 weeks, with possible extension. ITV, in conjunction with IMPACT WRESTLING, had actually upgraded the tapings from a TV studio to Preston Guild Hall, to be taped over 2 nights. The feeling being that the World of Sport that went out on New Year’s Eve was too ‘game showy’ and it was now going to be what you’d expect a wrestling show to look like. A multitude of outside forces since then mean it’s not currently on the air (some known, such as Anthem Entertainment/Global Force Wrestling/TNA Wrestling/IMPACT WRESTLING being in a constant state of upheaval, Jeff Jarrett - who helped put the deal together and was pivotal in both the March 2017 press release and press conference - being an alcoholic and ultimately leaving the company). Since that point WWE has been in talks with various channels, one being ITV, to bring back King of the Ring under a new guise, which is why WWE’s planned UK show on the WWE Network also still hasn’t materialised.

It’s hardly surprising that ITV cannot just magic up their own wrestling programme. I’d rather they get it right rather than end up with something like the shambolic, and overly ambitious, 5StarWrestling that is currently going out Live on Freesports every Thursday.

Won't Sky kick off if WWE try and get a show on ITV?

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by KK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 am

Depends if Sky has an exclusivity clause on all WWE programming in the UK. They kicked up a fuss over Main Event because they weren't happy with it also airing on WWE Network, which led to Main Event being made exclusive to Hulu in the US and airing on I think a 4 week delay on the WWE Network. Unfortunately for Sky the moment that happened it became a show of no value anyway.

WWE's current contract with Sky runs until December 2019, but is up for renewal at the end of this year.

They've pencilled it in as being called King Of The Ring, but I suppose there's a possibility that it doesn't have to feature WWE branding. It'd be unprecedented in modern times, but the last time the WWF was on ITV in the 80s was under the World of Sport banner (though still presented as the WWF). Joint Promotions is the one everyone of a certain age remembers, but prior to the WWF becoming synonymous with Sky they briefly shared the WoS slot with Joint Promotions and All Star Wrestling. ITV then cancelled everything in 1988, but then brought wrestling back again in the early 90s (this time without the WoS branding) with WCW which ran almost until Nitro debuted in the UK on TNT in 96.

The thing with World of Sport wrestling is that it's never been an actual company or a wrestling promotion, it's simply a spun off programme name from what was ITV's equivalent of BBC Grandstand. And I think that's what is causing these never ending delays. They want to own the programming, but need another wrestling promotion to actually make it. Jeff Jarrett's vision along with others when interviewed about it in 2017 was that it was going to shift more towards being a genuine touring wrestling company, with ticket sales, merchandising, website (which is still fully operational at http://woswrestling.com) and maybe even PPV (on ITV's new Box Office station, presumably). The Preston tapings had actually had tickets sold already.

Back in 2013 ITV attempted to bring World of Sport Wrestling out of retirement (this time they used LDN Wrestling) and taped it from Fairfield Halls. In this one it was made in the style of the original and was supposed to air on ITV4. They hated it and it ultimately never aired (the show is currently on YouTube).

ITV have basically been wrestling with bringing back the World of Sport brand for the past 5 years & they're seemingly struggling to get all the moving parts together. The official announcement givin out was the Preston shows had to be rearranged due to contractual negotiations (which had been signed, and featured a no-compete clause so wrestlers couldn't go work elsewhere...which they obviously got out of, seeing as they're on 5StarWrestling and elsewhere).

It's like everything that can go wrong with wrestling on free-to-air TV, does. It's like when Channel 4 bought the rights to the WWF without knowing what the hell they were purchasing. How does that even happen.

Image
User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by Slimgrady » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm

If all this is accurate ITV should just let WWE produce a UK show, with their own matches and maybe feature ICW and Progress too, I think WWE were trying to get their shows on the network but this would probably be better for them exposure wise in pretty much the only country they’d be selling tickets to shows.
The World of Sport name has a low budget, low brow, rinky dink stigma to it. It might work for a little while for the craic and nostalgia but that would wear off fast.
Plus the last time ITV did a weekly wrestling show it did not go well. Celebrity Wrestling anyone?!

ImageImage
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by KK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Asuka and Shinsuke Nakamura‘s promos are hard work. It doesn’t take a genius to work out English isn’t their first language so why send Asuka out there on RAW to do a long interview in which she’s hard to understand and then inevitably gets lost trying to recite it all. I sometimes think WWE does these things on purpose for the lols.

It always feels like they’re on the verge of getting the “what” chant and then it started for Asuka.

If anyone needs a manager like Paul Heyman.

Image
User avatar
SerialCeler
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Booripides
Location: Stuck in the Tron machine

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by SerialCeler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
KK wrote:The TV schedules are out for next week and it’s no longer listed (replaced with Rugby and NHL). Could be a mistake, or they’ve dumped it already. 5star have been hyping next week’s show all night.


Interesting. I thought they had a 12 week run or something. I wonder if someone is going to lose a lot of money over this.


The EPG is now showing that tomorrow’s show will be on Freesports at 7pm as usual.

Image

Latest GRecommends:

Nintendo Network ID: SerialCeler (Switch: 5559-9603-3982) | Xbox Live: Serial Celer
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by KK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Hope too many didn’t ignore this week because of the scheduling mix-up, as this opening hour of 5 Star Wrestling has been pretty bloody good. Really great crowd this week too.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by ITSMILNER » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Crap, forgot this was on!

Image
User avatar
Shaun2k5
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: London, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by Shaun2k5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Anyone else kind of pondering skipping Elimination Chamber?

WWE's drive to give us so many PPVs has killed all element of surprise. I can't imagine for any amount of time anyone but Reigns winning the Chamber match.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 am

Shaun2k5 wrote:Anyone else kind of pondering skipping Elimination Chamber?

WWE's drive to give us so many PPVs has killed all element of surprise. I can't imagine for any amount of time anyone but Reigns winning the Chamber match.


Yeah, I'm really not fused at the moment. The rumble was the first ppv I watched in it's entirety for probably six months or so. What usually happens is I think I will watch it over a few days but then end up reading the result, then raw and sd takes place and things move on and I just cant be bothered to watch it as everything has now moved on.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 am

I think the sheer volume of content now is part of what killed off my interest in wrestling as a whole. I miss when WWF (as it was then) had 5 PPVs a year and a weekly show or two. When they started with the In Your House shows in ‘95 that’s where I think it started getting silly. When you add in a weekly B show, a weekly C show and all the network stuff I think there really can be too much of a good thing. I’d hazard a guess that part of the cause of this being that they have no real competition.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by Mafro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 pm

I’ll watch it tomorrow if it’s any good.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
BAKA
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by BAKA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm actually really looking forward to it. The Rumble was amazing, and Raw has been solid since, especially last week. I think the two main Chamber matches should be ace. I'm not looking forward to Reigns winning, it's inevitable at this point, so much so it already feels like they're sowing the seeds for his next feud, judging by what's happening with Rollins (hopefully the curse of Rollins will strike Reigns). Those 7 guys carried Raw last week, for around 2 hours! The Women's match should be enjoyable too, I really rate Bliss, Banks and James. It feels like Bliss will win, and something will happen with Sasha and Bayley prompting a feud for 'Mania. I think it's a poor card otherwise, but I'm still excited.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Wrestling Thread III
by KK » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:02 pm

The extra thick padding in the new Chamber last year was overkill.

Image

Return to “Stuff”