Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Squinty » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 pm

jawafour wrote:
Errkal wrote:
jawafour wrote:I am as annoyed as Squinty this morning - I had three (ale) pints last night and I feel embarrassingly lousy today :fp: .

What did you have?

Thinking about it, it wasn't just ale - I had two bottles (pints) of Adnam's Ease Up IPA and then two bottles (330ml) of San Miguel lager. I have always been a lightweight drinker, Squinty-style 8-) .


Ah well, it saves a bit of cash I guess :lol:
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by jawafour » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:42 pm

There is a car parked down the road from my flat - maybe 100 metres or so away - which has had it's alarm going off on *at least* eight occasions today, purely from the vibration of other cars driving past. Each time the sound blares out for about thirty seconds before the owner turns it off.

It's just happened again. It's gonna happen throughout the night, isn't it? :dread: .
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Rightey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
Trelliz wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:My neighbours are a strawberry floating nightmare, feel like a zombie because i cannot sleep. The walls are thin as strawberry float and the guy snores like a demon. Not sure what to do as it's not like i can go round and say to stop sleeping - his room isn't even beside mine so can't knock on the wall to try make him roll over.


Earplugs?

I use them every night, can still hear him through them.


Can you can get a fan or something that produces a constant noise to drown them out? I was in a similar situation to you and found having a fan on in my room would drown out the snoring but because the noise is constant I could fall asleep with it.

Otherwise, maybe rather than earplugs, get those heavy duty over ear protectors?
Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Rocsteady » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:21 am

Rightey wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Trelliz wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:My neighbours are a strawberry floating nightmare, feel like a zombie because i cannot sleep. The walls are thin as strawberry float and the guy snores like a demon. Not sure what to do as it's not like i can go round and say to stop sleeping - his room isn't even beside mine so can't knock on the wall to try make him roll over.


Earplugs?

I use them every night, can still hear him through them.


Can you can get a fan or something that produces a constant noise to drown them out? I was in a similar situation to you and found having a fan on in my room would drown out the snoring but because the noise is constant I could fall asleep with it.

Otherwise, maybe rather than earplugs, get those heavy duty over ear protectors?

A fan would help and is prob what I'll have to go with in the end, is annoying i have to resort to such measures though.

Today, staying in a hotel with a bar underneath. Been that dick and asked to move room and gooseberry fool but they're full and there was nowhere else in.the town to head to. Absolutely mental, needed an early night and shite pop music was pumping till 1 with the local chavs having a boogie, could hear absolutely everything from my room. Might ask for a refund tomorrow and it they refuse I'll tear into them across sm etc. Getting old.
Image
bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by bear » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Apple said Monday it will spend 6 billion Danish crowns ($921 million) on a new data centre in Denmark, its second in the Nordic country to run entirely on renewable energy.

Apple’s first data centre in Denmark, which was announced in conjunction with a planned data centre in Athenry, Co Galway, in 2015, is due to begin operations later this year.

However, construction has yet to begin on the Athenry facility. “The proposed data centre is currently under judicial review,” a spokeswoman said.


That annoys me because if the Irish centre wasn't being held up by what look like flimsy planning objections there's a decent chance I'd be starting work there this winter. Now it's starting to look like it might not even happen.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Green Gecko » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:22 am

Rightey wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Trelliz wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:My neighbours are a strawberry floating nightmare, feel like a zombie because i cannot sleep. The walls are thin as strawberry float and the guy snores like a demon. Not sure what to do as it's not like i can go round and say to stop sleeping - his room isn't even beside mine so can't knock on the wall to try make him roll over.


Earplugs?

I use them every night, can still hear him through them.


Can you can get a fan or something that produces a constant noise to drown them out? I was in a similar situation to you and found having a fan on in my room would drown out the snoring but because the noise is constant I could fall asleep with it.

Otherwise, maybe rather than earplugs, get those heavy duty over ear protectors?

Quick white noise solution - grab a DAB radio/alarm clock or whatever, switch to FM and tune into some random frequency. If you deep listen to it long enough you'll start to be convinced it's rain and other stuff, the same way dreams generally develop from gooseberry fool you see when your eyes are closed. It'll help you go to sleep.

Even a loud, constant noise isn't perceived as loud, it's perfunctory jumps in amplitude that upsets our ears because we're naturally tuned to listen out for them and then anticipate them, over and over again.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Lotus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Smart motorways. So gooseberry fool, and unbelievably annoying. They just don't work, but gotta keep the workmen busy somehow I guess. Pointless 'upgrades' all round! Better to add speed limits that everybody ignores and get rid of the hard shoulders (what good did they ever do?) than widen two-lane motorways that are permanently congested or get rid of potholes.

Internet comment sections. Absolute cesspits of ignorance, abuse, double-standards and pointless arguments. Doesn't matter whether it's the BBC, Youtube, the Guardian or the Daily Mail, they're all the same. Keeps the clicks coming though I guess.
Image ImageImage
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by KK » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:20 pm

People that INSIST on CONTINUALLY telling you about people YOU DON'T KNOW. "Mary, my next door neighbour, she's got a dog, lovely thing, well she went on holiday this weekend to Spain with Clive, her husband, who has a son named Mortimer, he used to work for Nissan and..."

Image
Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Lotus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Colleagues are good for that. So much inane chatter that nobody gives a gooseberry fool about. Desperate to tell you about their kids, or their neighbour, or their niece. Wish we had a cubicle office culture over here rather than open-plan. Would cut out so much bullshit.
Image ImageImage
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Squinty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:17 pm

I don't mind it, as long as there is an actual point to the story.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by IAmTheSaladMan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:59 pm

KK wrote:People that INSIST on CONTINUALLY telling you about people YOU DON'T KNOW. "Mary, my next door neighbour, she's got a dog, lovely thing, well she went on holiday this weekend to Spain with Clive, her husband, who has a son named Mortimer, he used to work for Nissan and..."

Image


I have a former colleague that is notorious for doing this. It's at the point where I hate bumping into him for fear of yet another conversation about a bunch of people I've either never met or at best worked with briefly around 6 years ago but never really spoke to.
Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Ad7 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Windows 10 updating while I left the pc on, despite me telling it to never do that. Left it on all evening uploading a huge video to YouTube, went to turn it off and it had updated and restarted thus strawberry floating up my upload.
User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Xeno » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:16 pm

I have started getting prompts again as I didn't have a schedule to update. There is a reason, I update when I strawberry floating feel like restarting my pc and not before. Oh and the constant strawberry floating screen prompts to restart. How MS don't care that their software is seen as intrusive I have no idea, maybe it's because it's a one horse pony show.
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Karl » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Xeno wrote:I have started getting prompts again as I didn't have a schedule to update. There is a reason, I update when I strawberry floating feel like restarting my pc and not before. Oh and the constant strawberry floating screen prompts to restart. How MS don't care that their software is seen as intrusive I have no idea, maybe it's because it's a one horse pony show.


I've used Linux very happily as my primary OS for the last two years. I have a small Windows partition I use for gaming and nothing else. It's not a hindrance in any way. Linux isn't always intuitive, they can't spend millions on UI designers, but it's far less intrusive.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Green Gecko » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 am

I think MS recently changed things so that if you've not installed any updates for 90 days or something it will download and install them automatically and there's nothing you can do, can't even cancel it. Tbh it's probably for the best because it's insecure computers on networks / compromised desktop mail clients etc. that cause virus outbreaks, botnets and more.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Errkal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:46 am

Windows updates isn't so bad just set quiet times and it will install reboot in those and leave you alone the rest.

Hell it doesn't even nag in 10 if you set a time on the first prompt to reboot.

Updating is a good thing and it is only an issue and annoyance if you try and ignore the updates. Just update when or shortly after being asked and it is fine. Also if you do it more often than putting it off for months it will only have a few updates and will only take a minute or two. People who bitch about long "updating" times tend to cause their own problem by fighting something that is there to help them.
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Ad7 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 am

strawberry float off Bill.
User avatar
TigaSefi
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by TigaSefi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:13 am

Ad7 wrote:strawberry float off Bill.


:lol:
Image

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Drumstick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:19 am

Ad7 wrote:strawberry float off Bill.

:lol:

I disagree. Windows updates have, historically, caused me a boatload of problems. A user should be able to determine if or when they are installed. If they get a virus or malware as a result of not using appropriate software to protect their system then that's their own stupid fault.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: rich_brad29

PostRe: Things that annoy you - Now with more than one person moaning
by Rex Kramer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:33 am

Drumstick wrote:
Ad7 wrote:strawberry float off Bill.

:lol:

I disagree. Windows updates have, historically, caused me a boatload of problems. A user should be able to determine if or when they are installed. If they get a virus or malware as a result of not using appropriate software to protect their system then that's their own stupid fault.

This. Windows updates have borked our CRM software on at least 3 occasions in the last couple of years.
Image
Current castaway: Rax can be found here. All the previous contributors can be found here.
Tackling the pile of shame part 2 - http://grview.grcade.co.uk/articles/the-7-commandments-of-tackling-the-pile-of-shame/

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, FatDaz, Frank, Garth, Jenuall, lex-man, Mafro, Nathanbrains, PuppetBoy, Snowcannon, Squinty, Ste, Tafdolphin, Yahoo [Bot] and 56 guests