Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Drumstick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 am

In relation to?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Hime » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am

I don't think the Bradford Factor is the only thing that influences people going into work while ill. Maybe it's just my industry but there is definitely some sort of macho thing about not having a day off sick when you're coughing and sneezing everywhere.

It's just strawberry floating selfish when you have paid sick leave. I work in a 24 hour place with shared desks so chances of catching something are pretty good. I'm getting married next week and will have no problem telling people how big a banana split they are if so get ill.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah the Bradford Factor isn't the only issue, there are plenty of other elements that have created a culture of "must be in work at all costs".

As you say the macho factor is part of it, as well as wanting to appear dedicated and putting work as your top priority - Tony is such a trooper, he came into work even when he had explosive diarrhoea, give that guy a promotion! Similarly you've got the feeling of not wanting to let people down, which I can understand. There are cases where you may be the only person who can do something and not being there is going to strawberry float everything up, that can put pressure on people to work when they shouldn't as well.

There's also the fact that we seem to put people on a pedal stool for this kind of stuff - Marjorie worked for the post office for 97 years and never took a single day off sick, she's a hero lets give her an award! Ignoring the fact that Marjorie was probably infecting other people left, right and centre and dropping the wider productivity of the operation!

ImageImage
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Hexx » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:24 am

On work conference on Friday they'd booked our train seats together.
Chap with a stinking cough/cold sat next to me. I made him move to another carriage

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Moggy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:33 am

Stinky people. There’s a bloke here who always stinks. It’s not really BO, more like he has washed his clothes but not dried them properly.

I saw him get out of the lift earlier today and then I used it 5 minutes later. It still stunk in there even though he had been gone for over 5 minutes! How can somebody smell so bad that their stink lingers for so long?

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:06 am

Man A leaves lift.
5 minutes pass.
Man B enters lift.
Lift smells.

I mean the logical conclusion is that Man B is the smelly one right? ;)

ImageImage
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Ad7 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:07 am

Image

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Qikz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Ad7 wrote:Image


Same

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Squinty » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 pm

They are really gooseberry fool though.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 pm

We've been given new chairs at work.

I don't like them.

My old chair was better.

All change is bad.

When will the nightmare end?

ImageImage
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Death's Head » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Moggy wrote:Stinky people. There’s a bloke here who always stinks. It’s not really BO, more like he has washed his clothes but not dried them properly.

I saw him get out of the lift earlier today and then I used it 5 minutes later. It still stunk in there even though he had been gone for over 5 minutes! How can somebody smell so bad that their stink lingers for so long?
When we used to play badminton after work we would sometimes get changed in the toilets before going. I went in after another guy and I don't know if the smell was his feet but I almost threw up.

Yes?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Moggy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Jenuall wrote:Man A leaves lift.
5 minutes pass.
Man B enters lift.
Lift smells.

I mean the logical conclusion is that Man B is the smelly one right? ;)


That’s why it annoys me so much (other than the obvious smell annoyance!), anybody that got into the lift with me would think it was me. :x

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Ad7 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

The guy next to me who clocked me reading my phone and loudly said, "god I'm glad I don't have a smart phone, the more I see people pour their lives away into them, the more I can't stand them."

This is the same guy who has a small browser window open in the corner of his screen most of the day so he can read BBC news and comment on car articles.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Man A leaves lift.
5 minutes pass.
Man B enters lift.
Lift smells.

I mean the logical conclusion is that Man B is the smelly one right? ;)


That’s why it annoys me so much (other than the obvious smell annoyance!), anybody that got into the lift with me would think it was me. :x


"It wasn't me, it was the other guy! Honestly, you have to believe me!"

Catch-22 really - say nothing and people will assume it's you that smells, but protest your innocence and people will just use it as evidence that you are the smell machine!

Ad7 wrote:The guy next to me who clocked me reading my phone and loudly said, "god I'm glad I don't have a smart phone, the more I see people pour their lives away into them, the more I can't stand them."

This is the same guy who has a small browser window open in the corner of his screen most of the day so he can read BBC news and comment on car articles.


Luddite, he's just afraid that when the day comes that the techno-literate are absorbed into the mass consciousness of the matrix he will be left behind to wither!

ImageImage
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Gemini73 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Nurses being rude to us (porters) over the radio for everyone to hear, then having a crying fit to the management when you tell them they're out of order and should treat us with some respect.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Outrunner
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Outrunner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 pm

<]:^D wrote:she sounds like a massive piece of gooseberry fool


She sounds like a complete thundercunt, and you are will within your legal rights to go over her head.


I hate that this could be how things are... but I'm afraid my thinking goes along those lines too, Outrunner. In some rare cases, companies provide decent support but, in many, it's the start of a long battle to try and "move people on" i.e. kick 'em out. And, yeah, that sucks.


She's an awful manager, she has no people skills, no empathy and shouldn't be in the position she is in. At the time I did actually start the ball rolling with a complaints procedure. Then my anxiety kicked in and I bottled it. :(

In complete contrast, my actual line manager is great. She has an open door policy and will make time to talk to me, go out of her way to make adjustments for me. We have a Wellness Action Plan that she can refer to when my communication goes out the window because I'm down or anxious and we revisit this once a month to see what is working and what needs tweaking. She's very proactive a spoke to my mental health nurse (with my permission of course) to discuss my issues as they relate to work. She encourages me to take time off of I really need it but is also clear that if I want to work she will support me through rough days. And, most importantly, she acts as a buffer between me and the senior manager. I was unlucky that on that day she was off. Because of the support I get from her I make an effort to come in, I'll be flexible to working extra days or working evening shifts. Because she is supportive she get's a lot more out of me and I'm a lot more productive

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Preezy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Ad7 wrote:Image

/thread

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Green Gecko » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Outrunner wrote:She's an awful manager, she has no people skills, no empathy and shouldn't be in the position she is in. At the time I did actually start the ball rolling with a complaints procedure. Then my anxiety kicked in and I bottled it. :(

In complete contrast, my actual line manager is great. She has an open door policy and will make time to talk to me, go out of her way to make adjustments for me. We have a Wellness Action Plan that she can refer to when my communication goes out the window because I'm down or anxious and we revisit this once a month to see what is working and what needs tweaking. She's very proactive a spoke to my mental health nurse (with my permission of course) to discuss my issues as they relate to work. She encourages me to take time off of I really need it but is also clear that if I want to work she will support me through rough days. And, most importantly, she acts as a buffer between me and the senior manager. I was unlucky that on that day she was off. Because of the support I get from her I make an effort to come in, I'll be flexible to working extra days or working evening shifts. Because she is supportive she get's a lot more out of me and I'm a lot more productive

I suffered anxiety with a gooseberry fool, bullying manager as well. I put a complaint in to HR after I was automatically laid off (due to not being called in to work on zero hours basis for a couple of months for no reason), never got a reply, followed up, no reply, then I just wrote a giant "strawberry float you" type letter explaining all the problems wrong with the organisation to about 10 different top officials including marketing, PR etc., they obviously decided this wasn't good and the assistant head of HR called me up to discuss. But seeing as I wasn't employed by them anymore I guess I had nothing to lose.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Preezy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:41 pm

The Halifax banana split in the Wizard of Oz advert with his gooseberry fool hair stinking up a classic movie. strawberry float off.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you 5.0 - annoy harder
by Errkal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Preezy wrote:The Halifax banana split in the Wizard of Oz advert with his gooseberry fool hair stinking up a classic movie. strawberry float off.


You're far too young!


Return to “Stuff”