Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Vermilion » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 am

Preezy wrote:People that don't use their strawberry floating indicators when turning off the road you're driving down. Oh I'll just use my strawberry floating psychic powers to anticipate your sharp braking and turning shall I you strawberry floating muppet.


I get that trying to cross the road, i think someone's driving straight on at a junction (because no indication) but once i'm in the middle of the road they decide to make the turn.

Then they act as if i'm in the wrong!

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Green Gecko » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 am

Vermilion wrote:
Preezy wrote:People that don't use their strawberry floating indicators when turning off the road you're driving down. Oh I'll just use my strawberry floating psychic powers to anticipate your sharp braking and turning shall I you strawberry floating muppet.


I get that trying to cross the road, i think someone's driving straight on at a junction (because no indication) but once i'm in the middle of the road they decide to make the turn.

Then they act as if i'm in the wrong!

It is very annoying, because cars have right of way (for some reason), and motorists are taught to continue driving on a road, no matter what - unless it's a public crossing.

Meaning technically, you are wrong, which is utterly ridiculous. Not indicating at all times when necessary is also wrong, so whatever, strawberry float shitty motorists.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:People that don't use their strawberry floating indicators when turning off the road you're driving down. Oh I'll just use my strawberry floating psychic powers to anticipate your sharp braking and turning shall I you strawberry floating muppet.


Also the banana splits that use their indicators but only once they’ve already braked and started turning. :fp:
The worst use of indicators are by people who have already started their manoeuvre to cut in front of you, indicating at the point they have already started their move. The other use I hate is by those who somehow think that by using the indicator they have the right of way as if once they've indicated, you are supposed to brake and let them cut in front of you because they are coming anyway and if you don't brake, you will hit them.

Yes?
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by <]:^D » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:58 am

Vermilion wrote:
Preezy wrote:People that don't use their strawberry floating indicators when turning off the road you're driving down. Oh I'll just use my strawberry floating psychic powers to anticipate your sharp braking and turning shall I you strawberry floating muppet.


I get that trying to cross the road, i think someone's driving straight on at a junction (because no indication) but once i'm in the middle of the road they decide to make the turn.

Then they act as if i'm in the wrong!


yeah i hate this; they seem to think that indicators are only for other car drivers, and not a useful habit to help all forms of road/traffic use.
actually the most annoying i can think of is at a t-junction roundabout i have to use most days. ill sit waiting for traffic to go straight over (im on the upright of the 't') and then theyll just turn left down the other side of the road im on without indicating so ive waited for no reason. wankers.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Lagamorph » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 am

Green Gecko wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Preezy wrote:People that don't use their strawberry floating indicators when turning off the road you're driving down. Oh I'll just use my strawberry floating psychic powers to anticipate your sharp braking and turning shall I you strawberry floating muppet.


I get that trying to cross the road, i think someone's driving straight on at a junction (because no indication) but once i'm in the middle of the road they decide to make the turn.

Then they act as if i'm in the wrong!

It is very annoying, because cars have right of way (for some reason), and motorists are taught to continue driving on a road, no matter what - unless it's a public crossing.

Meaning technically, you are wrong, which is utterly ridiculous. Not indicating at all times when necessary is also wrong, so whatever, strawberry float shitty motorists.

Cars have right of way on roads because it would be utterly idiotic to give Pedestrians right of way. It would lead to people just stepping out into the street whenever and wherever with the expectation of motorists constantly ready for any pedestrian in sight to just step in front of them.
This is why we have designated crossings.

Yes it's annoying when crossing the road and a dickhead doesn't indicate, I've had that annoyance, but giving pedestrians right of way over motorists on roads is Brexit level idiocy.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Lotus » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am

Talking of right of way, drivers seem to forget that pedestrians have right of way on pavements. If they're wanting to turn and it involves crossing the pavement (turning into a petrol station or into a driveway, for example) they often just turn and expect the pedestrian to get out of their way, or honk the horn as if the person walking is in the wrong/should hurry up.

Image
User avatar
Heskimo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Blackpool

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Heskimo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 am

Green Gecko wrote:and motorists are taught to continue driving on a road, no matter what


Well, not quite. You get taught to stop/slow down if there's someone already in the road, not just plough on regardless :slol:

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Green Gecko » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 am

I don't argue with that at all. But I'm speaking from the perspective of busy town centres that motorists deliberately cut through for no good reason when there is literally a dual carriageway bypass a mile off the town centre. A 40mph limit has been cut to 20mph and you still have people speeding through the town.

It's strawberry floating annoying when motorists don't have courtesy for the people who aren't in an armoured resource-guzzling machine populating the town in which they actually live, regardless of what the highway code says. You often feel like the concept of somebody wanting to get from A to B to C without having to stop every 5 minutes for 5 minutes to wait for people to get to that important high speed destination during the daily death march to and fro before anyone else does, even when the traffic is only going 10-15 miles per hour and still nobody has the idea to pause for 5 seconds, is completely alien to people doing the same thing albeit with a huge degree of privilege.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by <]:^D » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:44 am

cars :x

User avatar
Heskimo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Blackpool

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Heskimo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:48 am

Oh yeah, speeding through a town centre is certainly not excusable. But on the flip side, as Laga said earlier, roads are made for vehicles and having people just wandering willy nilly around them just because it's a town centre would also be chaos. So long as the vehicles are obeying the law in terms of speed, indication and being courteous to people who may already be crossing before they approach etc, I don't see an issue with cars being on a road that was made for cars. Should definitely always be on high alert when driving in towns/cities though, there are as many bimbling, unaware pedestrians as there are maniac drivers.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Green Gecko » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:53 am

That's the thing though. A lot of town roads were never made for motors of any kind. People, horses maybe. But the sheer column of vehicles you get at times is bordering on the ridiculous, for how necessary they are, and how many people they're actually carrying, for the speed they are actually able to achieve, for the fuel and air quality that is being used up.

I'm all for pedestrianisation in town centres except for some commercial access roads, especially shopping precincts and areas with schools. Drop the bloody kids off and let them walk, maybe then they will be less fat. And use the goddamn bypass and motorways for that which they were built.

And when I say "town centres" I mean a couple of xx metre stretches, not a mile radius.

I'm being hyperbolic because it's fun, but I doubt many would disagree there are far too many vehicles on the roads than necessary. With most of them not even on the roads, just littered about.

And yeah for people who own 3-4 cars for a single household or any kind of "all terrain vehicle" (unless you are a farmer), strawberry float off.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Jenuall » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Pedestrians are valid road users just as much as cars - there is nothing wrong with a pedestrian crossing a road providing they do it in a safe manner and don't just jump out in front of a car.

In the situation that a driver who did not indicate turns into a side road and runs over a pedestrian who was crossing then the law would absolutely be on the pedestrians side. There is even a specific part of the highway code that makes it clear that cars must give way to pedestrians in these circumstances:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203#rule170

Similarly I believe that the Hazard Perception Test will penalise people who do not identify pedestrians on a side road as a possible hazard and Driving Instructors are required to educate learner drivers on the need to anticipate the fact that pedestrians on a side road could cross before they turn into it and that they will be required to give way to them.

ImageImage
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Green Gecko » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Well that's good to know, I feel safer on the streets now.

I'll still cuss at anyone driving a beamer, audi etc. who almost runs me over and then has the gall to give me gooseberry fool out the window too, on a side road. It's really quite disturbing how often these drivers will just not slow down at all despite you clearly being in front of them, and even rev their engines when they do slow down.

That happened more in Surrey though.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by <]:^D » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 pm

there are a lot of banana splits on the road, i dont know how regular drivers deal with it. i drive about 2 hours a week on a Sunday and it boils my piss to see some of the liberties banana splits take in their 2-ton metal boxes :x

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:12 pm

&lt;]:^D wrote:there are a lot of banana splits on the road, i dont know how regular drivers deal with it. i drive about 2 hours a week on a Sunday and it boils my piss to see some of the liberties banana splits take in their 2-ton metal boxes :x
What gets me most is the transformation people undergo when in a car. If they were walking they would not take the same kind of liberties with other people on foot (particularly queueing springs to mind) so I don't really see why people become so inconsiderate when in a car.

Yes?
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: RE: Re: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Vermilion » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Death's Head wrote:What gets me most is the transformation people undergo when in a car.


My brother used to be like that when he lived with me, he'd be his usual quiet and slightly gittish self when out of the car, but behind the wheel he'd become a total psycho.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 pm

The psychology of it is really interesting. I think if everyone drove soft-tops it'd be a lot better - in cars there is a sense of isolation from the outside world. People are a lot less reserved in their behaviour than they would be if a few metres away from strangers outside of a vehicle.

Another issue is the lack of body language that leads to people assuming deliberate hostile intent from other drivers. If I accidentally cut someone up when walking for example, I can turn and apologise. If I do it in a car my options are very limited (basically a raised hand, a horn beep or a flash of lights) and all of those can be misconstrued.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Frank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Yeah but the assumption is you'll have your wits about you a little more when you're behind the wheel of a two tonne 100 mile an hour death machine. You shouldn't be so absent-minded you "accidentally" cut someone up.

As more manufacturers introduce more driver aids we're going to see worse and worse and worse and worse driving. With any luck the worst of the worst will write themselves off without doing anyone else any major harm.

I get the train now and even the complete disregard for rules in the car park frustrates me

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by OrangeRKN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Frank wrote:Yeah but the assumption is you'll have your wits about you a little more when you're behind the wheel of a two tonne 100 mile an hour death machine. You shouldn't be so absent-minded you "accidentally" cut someone up.


People make genuine mistakes when driving all the time, be it missing a light change or being in the wrong lane. It'd be unreasonable to expect that to never happen.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Things that annoy you.com ,The new thread by Ad7 - HAPPY DAYS!
by Frank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Make a (major) mistake on your driving test and you fail, so clearly drivers aren't expected to make mistakes to the extent of missing a light changing :dread: I mean, the amber light exists to stop people from missing that...

I wouldn't mind as much if it seemed like the traffic police did anything about bad driving rather than only charging people *after* they've caused an accident.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, Balladeer, Denster, floydfreak, Garth, Grumpy David, Memento Mori, Return_of_the_STAR, SerialCeler, Vermilion and 67 guests