UK General Election 2015

Our best bits.

Who are you voting for?

Conservative
34
22%
Labour
52
33%
Lib Dem
12
8%
UKIP
7
4%
Green
23
15%
SNP
18
11%
Plaid Cymru
1
1%
DUP
1
1%
Sinn Fein
3
2%
Independent
1
1%
Other (please state)
6
4%
 
Total votes: 158
User avatar
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Eighthours » Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Irene Demova wrote:Stop being such a tosser


Calling me a tosser for posting a funny photo. Will the left's abuse never stop? :(

User avatar
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Eighthours » Mon May 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Cal wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Cal wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Cal wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:I'm okay with this.


Yep, me too. UKIP need Farage. Suzanne Evans would have been my preferred alternative in the absence of Mr Farage. 'Nige should go off and have a nice long break over the summer. He'll have plenty to do later on in the year!



Would you had been okay with it had one of the other leaders pledged to resign and still ended up as leader a few days later? If it had been Ed Miliband, Nick Clegg or, hypothetically, Natalie Bennett? I suspect you are and David are okay with it, as the broken pledge strengthens a party you both like, so Farage avoids being called a hypocrite and a liar.


No problem at all. That's their call. Personally, I was sad to see Nick Clegg take the fall. I liked the man (hated his politics). Miliband I never liked (but I hold nothing against him personally), but it would have been churlish to object to his staying on as Leader if that is what he wanted. I was genuinely surprised when all the Leaders began falling over like tenpins on Friday.


It's not about them wanting to stay on as leader: it's about them saying they'll quit if 'x' happens, then changing their mind half a week later.


After the votes were counted and announced Nigel Farage did exactly what he promised he would do, prior to the election: he tended his resignation as Leader of UKIP when he failed to win Thanet. It is then for UKIP as a body politic to decide whether or not to accept, defer or reject his resignation. They were quite within their rights to refuse it. He is quite within his rights to accept their decision.

So what is your problem?


Come on, Cal. This was all cooked up as a way to deflect Farage's miscalculation. He actually lost the seat because of his threat to resign, which made the other parties concentrate a load of their resources on Thanet in order to defeat him. UKIP's disingenuous solution to a problem of their own making is the kind of gerrymandering that he and his party would decry if anyone else was doing it.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by KK » Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 pm

I haven't read one paper these last few days that hasn't inserted something before "lefties". They're the "loony" left, the "fanatical" left, "radical" left, "extreme" lefties...and so on, and so forth.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Grumpy David » Mon May 11, 2015 4:46 pm

Those adjectives are more accurate than "economically competent" lefties.

User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Cal » Mon May 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Eighthours wrote:
Cal wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Cal wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Cal wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:I'm okay with this.


Yep, me too. UKIP need Farage. Suzanne Evans would have been my preferred alternative in the absence of Mr Farage. 'Nige should go off and have a nice long break over the summer. He'll have plenty to do later on in the year!



Would you had been okay with it had one of the other leaders pledged to resign and still ended up as leader a few days later? If it had been Ed Miliband, Nick Clegg or, hypothetically, Natalie Bennett? I suspect you are and David are okay with it, as the broken pledge strengthens a party you both like, so Farage avoids being called a hypocrite and a liar.


No problem at all. That's their call. Personally, I was sad to see Nick Clegg take the fall. I liked the man (hated his politics). Miliband I never liked (but I hold nothing against him personally), but it would have been churlish to object to his staying on as Leader if that is what he wanted. I was genuinely surprised when all the Leaders began falling over like tenpins on Friday.


It's not about them wanting to stay on as leader: it's about them saying they'll quit if 'x' happens, then changing their mind half a week later.


After the votes were counted and announced Nigel Farage did exactly what he promised he would do, prior to the election: he tended his resignation as Leader of UKIP when he failed to win Thanet. It is then for UKIP as a body politic to decide whether or not to accept, defer or reject his resignation. They were quite within their rights to refuse it. He is quite within his rights to accept their decision.

So what is your problem?


Come on, Cal. This was all cooked up as a way to deflect Farage's miscalculation. He actually lost the seat because of his threat to resign, which made the other parties concentrate a load of their resources on Thanet in order to defeat him. UKIP's disingenuous solution to a problem of their own making is the kind of gerrymandering that he and his party would decry if anyone else was doing it.


The fact remains Mr Farage has not reneged on his word at any point. You can suggest all kinds of things, but it's just supposition; none of it is supported by the facts. When he announced last Friday that he would be tendering his resignation (which he subsequently did) he also made it clear he might think about putting himself back up for re-election. All that's happened is that UKIP's Executive have refused his resignation.

I fail to see why there should be any problem with this.

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Karl » Mon May 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Eighthours wrote:
Irene Demova wrote:Stop being such a tosser


Calling me a tosser for posting a funny photo. Will the left's abuse never stop? :(


That could be amusing satire were it not what you literally believe.

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Sleighamorph » Mon May 11, 2015 4:55 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Sony: "Well at least someone out there is still buying our tellies..."

Nothing wrong with Sony TVs

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by KK » Mon May 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
KKLEIN wrote:Sony: "Well at least someone out there is still buying our tellies..."

Nothing wrong with Sony TVs

They're great; it's just that they don't sell very well.

Image
User avatar
Garth of Christmas Future
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Garth of Christmas Future » Mon May 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Image

User avatar
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Eighthours » Mon May 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Karl wrote:
Eighthours wrote:
Irene Demova wrote:Stop being such a tosser


Calling me a tosser for posting a funny photo. Will the left's abuse never stop? :(


That could be amusing satire were it not what you literally believe.


I have waaaaaay too many levels for you, Karl. ;)

User avatar
Irene Demova
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Irene Demova » Mon May 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Superman 64 had many levels, every single one was a load of gooseberry fool

User avatar
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Eighthours » Mon May 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Irene Demova wrote:Superman 64 had many levels, every single one was a load of gooseberry fool


Irene has finally solved the maze to get a sense of humour. Kudos, fella.

User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Fatal Exception » Mon May 11, 2015 6:26 pm

"I'm breaking up with you"
"I don't accept that, we're still dating"

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon May 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Eighthours wrote:An anti-austerity protester made his pisspoor sign by using the box for his £600 TV. :lol: I do so love this gooseberry fool.

Image


Where does it show that he bought that TV? People can get boxes without buying the product you know.

Where does the writing on his sign show that he is against all forms of capitalism? People can disagree with cuts and austerity without rejecting all forms of capitalism you know.

It's a really weird idea you have that all left wingers and/or anti-austerity protesters have to be dirt poor. People can want a fairer society, less cuts and increased socialism without wanting to become a full blown communist state.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon May 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Cal wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Cal wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Cal wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:I'm okay with this.


Yep, me too. UKIP need Farage. Suzanne Evans would have been my preferred alternative in the absence of Mr Farage. 'Nige should go off and have a nice long break over the summer. He'll have plenty to do later on in the year!



Would you had been okay with it had one of the other leaders pledged to resign and still ended up as leader a few days later? If it had been Ed Miliband, Nick Clegg or, hypothetically, Natalie Bennett? I suspect you are and David are okay with it, as the broken pledge strengthens a party you both like, so Farage avoids being called a hypocrite and a liar.


No problem at all. That's their call. Personally, I was sad to see Nick Clegg take the fall. I liked the man (hated his politics). Miliband I never liked (but I hold nothing against him personally), but it would have been churlish to object to his staying on as Leader if that is what he wanted. I was genuinely surprised when all the Leaders began falling over like tenpins on Friday.


It's not about them wanting to stay on as leader: it's about them saying they'll quit if 'x' happens, then changing their mind half a week later.


After the votes were counted and announced Nigel Farage did exactly what he promised he would do, prior to the election: he tended his resignation as Leader of UKIP when he failed to win Thanet. It is then for UKIP as a body politic to decide whether or not to accept, defer or reject his resignation. They were quite within their rights to refuse it. He is quite within his rights to accept their decision.

So what is your problem?


He is within his rights to accept their decision, but you must admit that it looks bad. This is what he has previously said about his bid to become an MP and the 2015 elections:

Nigel Farage has vowed to resign as party leader if UKIP fails to achieve a general election breakthrough next year.

The UKIP leader said there was ‘not one ounce of complacency from me’ after he was selected last night to stand in the South Thanet seat for UKIP at next year's general election.

His nomination was overshadowed by Boris Johnson’s decision to throw his hat into the ring to be the next MP for Uxbridge in west London.

But Mr Farage said he confident that the Tories would lose votes to UKIP at the next election.

He said: ‘I'm not pretending for one moment that it's going to be easy, but Ukip is offering something different and distinctive.

‘If we'd failed in the European elections I would have stood down, if we fail next year the party will pick someone better than me, but do you know what? That ain't going to happen.’

http://www.dailyfail.co.uk/news/article ... ction.html


They had a good number of votes, but Farage failed and UKIP also failed (down to 1 MP from 2).

Nigel Farage dramatically raised the stakes in Ukip's quest for political power by vowing to resign as leader if his party fails to get any seats in the 2015 general election.

Farage made the pledge on the day he told the anti-EU party's spring conference: "This is our moment.

After speaking in Torquay of "ruthless targeting" to win seats at the general election, Farage put his own future on the line.

"I said in my speech we could get several MPs, or a good number of MPs, in Westminster in 2015 provided, and I made it absolutely clear, that would not happen unless we clear this hurdle effectively on May 22 [the local and European elections this year].

"I stand by that. This is the election Ukip has waited 20 years for."

When asked if he would stand down in the event of the party not returning any MPs to the House, he said: "I would have thought so, good lord yes. I would be out the door before you could say Jack Robinson."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nigel-farage-v ... ts-1438430


I guess that one seat means he is not breaking his word there, but it looks like grasping at straws.

However in his book he says: “The consequences of me failing to secure a seat for myself in the Commons would be significant for both myself and the party.

“It is frankly just not credible for me to continue to lead the party without a Westminster seat.

“What credibility would Ukip have in the Commons if others had to enunciate party policy in Parliament and the party leader was only allowed in as a guest?
“Was I supposed to brief Ukip policy from the Westminster Arms? No – if I fail to win South Thanet, it is curtains for me. I will have to step down.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -time.html


So as the man himself says it, he is now without credibility.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by KK » Mon May 11, 2015 7:41 pm

Moggy wrote:
Eighthours wrote:An anti-austerity protester made his pisspoor sign by using the box for his £600 TV. :lol: I do so love this gooseberry fool.

Image


Where does it show that he bought that TV? People can get boxes without buying the product you know.

Where does the writing on his sign show that he is against all forms of capitalism? People can disagree with cuts and austerity without rejecting all forms of capitalism you know.

It's a really weird idea you have that all left wingers and/or anti-austerity protesters have to be dirt poor. People can want a fairer society, less cuts and increased socialism without wanting to become a full blown communist state.

Stole it from a homeless bloke. That was his bed. Scum, sub human scum.

Image
User avatar
Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Belfast

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Kanbei » Mon May 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Farage :lol:

I'm sorry he did not say that he would offer to resign if he lost, he said he would resign. Utterly ridiculous :lol: :fp:

User avatar
Meep In Heavenly Peace
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: RE: Re: UK General Election 2015
by Meep In Heavenly Peace » Mon May 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Eighthours wrote:Overall I think it's good that the Tories get 5 years to clear the deficit. If there is no deficit by the time of the next election, then we can have a real debate on how would be best to run the country with that albatross gone from our necks. I'm looking forward to that, as no party in its current form has all the answers and I enjoy reading all the arguments for different policies.

The deficit won't be clear the deficit by then. The economy is growing at a snails pace and to the point where an intervening factor would easily make it negative, and so long as that continues the target is wildly optimistic even assuming there won't be any hiccups in the global economy in the next five years.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by captain red dog » Mon May 11, 2015 8:26 pm

I don't see the fuss. He said he would resign as he saw not getting elected as a failure. He tendered his resignation and the party clearly completely disagreed as they saw the vote share as a complete success and have asked him to stay on.

Same thing Alex Ferguson kind of did with his first retirement, and only people with an anti-Man Utd agenda got upset!

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK General Election 2015
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon May 11, 2015 8:28 pm

captain red dog wrote:I don't see the fuss. He said he would resign as he saw not getting elected as a failure. He tendered his resignation and the party clearly completely disagreed as they saw the vote share as a complete success and have asked him to stay on.

Same thing Alex Ferguson kind of did with his first retirement, and only people with an anti-Man Utd agenda got upset!


“It is frankly just not credible for me to continue to lead the party without a Westminster seat.

“What credibility would Ukip have in the Commons if others had to enunciate party policy in Parliament and the party leader was only allowed in as a guest?
“Was I supposed to brief Ukip policy from the Westminster Arms? No – if I fail to win South Thanet, it is curtains for me. I will have to step down.”


By his own words he now has no credibility.


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests