UK Government delays age verification for porn

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by lex-man » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 pm

They're going to have to set another date so I doubt this will get implemented this year. I could see another date being set around September though. Maybe it'll be put in place around April 2019 or just pushed back again.

User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by satriales » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:54 am

So it looks like this is still happening and they are releasing more details on Monday:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... next_week/

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by lex-man » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:00 pm

satriales wrote:So it looks like this is still happening and they are releasing more details on Monday:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... next_week/


Is this being reported else where, it's just that the register isn't that well regarded for it's accuracy.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by Jenuall » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:03 pm

lex-man wrote:
satriales wrote:So it looks like this is still happening and they are releasing more details on Monday:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... next_week/


Is this being reported else where, it's just that the register isn't that well regarded for it's accuracy.


Really? I've always found El Reg to be one of the more reliable sources of tech information.

ImageImage
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by lex-man » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Jenuall wrote:
lex-man wrote:
satriales wrote:So it looks like this is still happening and they are releasing more details on Monday:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... next_week/


Is this being reported else where, it's just that the register isn't that well regarded for it's accuracy.


Really? I've always found El Reg to be one of the more reliable sources of tech information.


My understanding is that they will run anything even if they don't have a reliable source.

EDIT: I've never really read them but everytime they get brought up places like /. or Ars people point out how unreliable they are.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by Jenuall » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:33 pm

lex-man wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
lex-man wrote:
satriales wrote:So it looks like this is still happening and they are releasing more details on Monday:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... next_week/


Is this being reported else where, it's just that the register isn't that well regarded for it's accuracy.


Really? I've always found El Reg to be one of the more reliable sources of tech information.


My understanding is that they will run anything even if they don't have a reliable source.

EDIT: I've never really read them but everytime they get brought up places like /. or Ars people point out how unreliable they are.


Fair enough, my understanding is that they have a considerable number of UK based sources and as such I tend to pay a bit more attention to their local scoops than anything global.

Not sure why but I've never been a fan of Ars - like many sites they seem to have set their target on being too much of a "catch all" outlet, The Register can be handy in that it does tend to focus more on IT purely from a business and hardware perspective.

ImageImage
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by lex-man » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:40 am

Jenuall wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
lex-man wrote:
satriales wrote:So it looks like this is still happening and they are releasing more details on Monday:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... next_week/


Is this being reported else where, it's just that the register isn't that well regarded for it's accuracy.


Really? I've always found El Reg to be one of the more reliable sources of tech information.


My understanding is that they will run anything even if they don't have a reliable source.

EDIT: I've never really read them but everytime they get brought up places like /. or Ars people point out how unreliable they are.


Fair enough, my understanding is that they have a considerable number of UK based sources and as such I tend to pay a bit more attention to their local scoops than anything global.

Not sure why but I've never been a fan of Ars - like many sites they seem to have set their target on being too much of a "catch all" outlet, The Register can be handy in that it does tend to focus more on IT purely from a business and hardware perspective.


I think Ars has got a bit worse over the years. They use to do really great in depth looks at processor stuff I loved.

They cover a lot of topics but skip over a lot because they don't have a massive staff. Some of their articles are really good. I loved their silk road coverage for example.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by That's not a growth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm

lex-man wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
lex-man wrote:
satriales wrote:So it looks like this is still happening and they are releasing more details on Monday:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... next_week/


Is this being reported else where, it's just that the register isn't that well regarded for it's accuracy.


Really? I've always found El Reg to be one of the more reliable sources of tech information.


My understanding is that they will run anything even if they don't have a reliable source.

EDIT: I've never really read them but everytime they get brought up places like /. or Ars people point out how unreliable they are.


Fair enough, my understanding is that they have a considerable number of UK based sources and as such I tend to pay a bit more attention to their local scoops than anything global.

Not sure why but I've never been a fan of Ars - like many sites they seem to have set their target on being too much of a "catch all" outlet, The Register can be handy in that it does tend to focus more on IT purely from a business and hardware perspective.


I think Ars has got a bit worse over the years. They use to do really great in depth looks at processor stuff I loved.

They cover a lot of topics but skip over a lot because they don't have a massive staff. Some of their articles are really good. I loved their silk road coverage for example.


They've certainly got certain writers who are so good it really shows when someone else isn't quite to that level. Peter Bright being one who obviously has a massive level of technical knowledge but able to write in an interesting way that a pleb like me can enjoy the article as well as feel like I'm learning something along the way.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by lex-man » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:54 am

I take it no new details were released, yesterday then.

User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by Jezo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Lol what? Why would you want to do porn before the age of 18? Isn't that illegal anyway?

Image
Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by Preezy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Jezo wrote:Lol what? Why would you want to do porn before the age of 18? Isn't that illegal anyway?

I've never understood why you can have sex at 16 and it be perfectly legal, but if you film it then suddenly you're breaking the law.

Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by <]:^D » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:32 pm

age of consent will always be a fudge - if 2 16 year olds have some sex then i wouldnt want to prosecute them.
if on the other hand some dirty old man makes a porno with a 16 year old, i wouldnt feel comfortable with it.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Jezo wrote:Lol what? Why would you want to do porn before the age of 18? Isn't that illegal anyway?


The market for "taboo" porn is huge and highly lucrative.

So I hear.

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by Tomous » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:38 pm

<]:^D wrote:age of consent will always be a fudge - if 2 16 year olds have some sex then i wouldnt want to prosecute them.
if on the other hand some dirty old man makes a porno with a 16 year old, i wouldnt feel comfortable with it.


I think “Romeo and Juliet” laws work well for age of consent, with a sliding scale depending on the age of both parties. So you wouldn’t procedure a 16 year old for having sex with 15 year old but you would prosecute a 40 year old for example.

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by <]:^D » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:15 pm

yeah im in agreement but we're talking about porn
would you be in favour of the same laws for pornography? ie if youre 18 you can make a porno with a 16 year old? what if someone else is involved (cameraman, distributer) who isnt near that age?

User avatar
Benzin
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by Benzin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm

If it worked for A Serbian Film..... :shifty:

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by <]:^D » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:39 pm

oh lord - couldnt bring myself to watch that after reading the synopsis :dread:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by lex-man » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Tomous wrote:
<]:^D wrote:age of consent will always be a fudge - if 2 16 year olds have some sex then i wouldnt want to prosecute them.
if on the other hand some dirty old man makes a porno with a 16 year old, i wouldnt feel comfortable with it.


I think “Romeo and Juliet” laws work well for age of consent, with a sliding scale depending on the age of both parties. So you wouldn’t procedure a 16 year old for having sex with 15 year old but you would prosecute a 40 year old for example.


Does that mean that their would be a special genre of porn that only young people could make and buy?

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by <]:^D » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 pm

any form of referring to that concept sounds wrong :lol:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: UK Government delays age verification for porn
by lex-man » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 pm

<]:^D wrote:any form of referring to that concept sounds wrong :lol:


I'm a teacher, it's fine.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Benzin, Blue Eyes, chanticleer, darksideby182, Errkal, Google [Bot], Heskimo, King Chaz, lex-man, Lotus, OrangeRakoon, Photek, Preezy, Rubix, satriales, Skarjo, Tsunade, wensleydale and 56 guests