US Politics

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics
by OrangeReindeer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

I thought he behaved exactly as I'd expect and hope a journalist would - pressing uncomfortable questions to an authority that doesn't want to answer them. None of the other journalists there seemed put out, and in fact one came to his defence. I imagine most the room would have behaved similarly.

Trump's tirade against him was the real disrespectful move with his personal attacks, but unfortunately his pass won't get revoked.

User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:19 pm

I can't fathom how anyone could watch the exchange between Acosta and Trump and think that Acosta was in the wrong for.....asking a question?

I wonder what preezy think's journalism is?

Unless....is this a wind up?

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: US Politics
by Preezy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Photek wrote:I can't fathom how anyone could watch the exchange between Acosta and Trump and think that Acosta was in the wrong for.....asking a question?

I wonder what preezy think's journalism is?

Think about a football press conference. Each journo gets to ask a question. That's obviously completely fine and normal. But when the journo has asked his question, he keeps asking more questions, interrupts other journos asking questions and shouts over everybody to make himself heard - that journo would most likely be banned from coming to another press conference, because he was acting like a dick. Ask your question, get your answer, sit down and let the next journo have their go.

It's pretty straightforward and I'm not sure why people don't see that. Just because this was a Trump press conference doesn't mean that normal manners and journalistic etiquette go out the window. And just because Trump acts like a nonk doesn't excuse the behaviour of others.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: US Politics
by Preezy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Photek wrote:The white house didn't revoke his press pass because he was 'disruptive', they did it because he 'laid his hands on a female aide' and showed a doctored video to 'prove' this falsehood, so I've no idea what you're on about man.

If that's the case (I'm ignorant on it to be honest, but I love to stick my oar in anyway, no decorum you see ;) ), then of course it should be reinstated.

I stand by my other point though regarding general good behaviour and not stooping to Trump's level.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics
by Rudolphin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:30 pm

The problem I have with your take, Prezzy, is that you don't seem to have taken into account the context of the situation, nor the ridiculous disparity of supposed crime vs the punishment.

Taken at face value, reporter is disruptive, gets a ban is reasonable but that's not what's happening. This is a 'reporter from already targeted network tries to be a reporter, is physically accosted by an aid, is slandered by doctored footage of the event, is banned."

This is Trump exercising his power to silence critical journalism, not some bust up at a footy press conference.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics
by DML » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:32 pm

How can anyone hold that opinion? Breathtaking. :fp:

How many times do we have to say this. TRUMP IS A FASCIST. Stop excusing his dreadful actions!

Last edited by DML on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Tafdolphin wrote: This is Trump exercising his power to silence critical journalism, not some bust up at a footy press conference.

A quote for the ages. :lol:

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: US Politics
by Preezy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:The problem I have with your take, Prezzy, is that you don't seem to have taken into account the context of the situation, nor the ridiculous disparity of supposed crime vs the punishment.

I appreciate your response, Tif.

User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics
by OrangeReindeer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Preezy wrote:Ask your question, get your answer, sit down and let the next journo have their go.

It's pretty straightforward and I'm not sure why people don't see that.


He didn't get an answer.

Sports journalism is not political journalism. They also tend to get answers in good faith. Even then I'm sure you can find plenty of examples of people asking follow up questions, especially if the question was avoided.

When you say Acosta then interrupted others, Trump had launched a personal attack on him directly - I think it was valid for him to speak up to defend himself. I'm not sure why you don't see that.

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: US Politics
by Saigon Slick » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:36 pm

:lol:

I do understand where you're coming from Preezy but with all due respect to Jose, receiving an answer to difficult questions is much more important for reporters who are covering Trump than those who are covering United. When the leader of the free world refuses to acknowledge questions I think it is genuinely important to ask them louder.

And Acosta is a good reporter, who has consistently gotten under Trump's skin - that's influenced the way that the Donald behaved during the press conference as well.

Image Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: US Politics
by Preezy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Listen I'm just going by what Alex Jones told me, why would he lie?

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:That's being a bit silly. Acosta was being disruptive and egotistical, he doesn't have a divine right to have a White House press pass.


That’s your take on this subject? :lol:

Pretty much. Obviously all that doctored footage and assault nonsense is a joke, but the guy was interrupting, shouting over people and asked far more questions than he'd been granted, he disrupted the entire event because he felt his voice was more important than those of his peers.

Just because it was Trump, people gloss over the fact that the guy was being a douche.


Acosta is CNN’s chief White House correspondent. Banning him from the White House is an absolute disgrace and basically spitting in the face of the idea of a free press.

Talking over people is no reason to revoke access.

They've revoked his pass, not CNN's. They can replace him with anyone else they like. And I do think that if a journalist isn't going to respect the process or his peers then sure they should have their passes revoked. Having a press pass doesn't give you carte blanche to act how you like in the press room.

Tradition, discipline, and rules must be the tools
Without them - disorder!
Catastrophe! Anarchy! -
In short, we have a ghastly mess!


He was hardly smashing up the press room. And you seriously have a problem with a journalist asking questions?

I never mentioned Trump revoking CNN’s press pass, I was specifically talking about Acosta himself. If the WH removes access to journalists because they ask difficult questions, then freedom of the press is on very shaky ground. And if the WH then decides to smear the same journalist using fake videos then you barely have a free press at all.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics
by Hexx » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Preezy wrote:If that's the case,,,


That is the case you berk :lol:

You are now LITERALLY swallowing the Fake News :lol:

User avatar
The Cuttcracker Suite
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics
by The Cuttcracker Suite » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Preezy wrote:Listen I'm just going by what Alex Jones told me, why would he lie?

I get you're trying to laugh this off, but have you considered why you make the assumptions you do on events and subjects you acknowledge you're perhaps ignorant about?

User avatar
Garth of Christmas Future
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: US Politics
by Garth of Christmas Future » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Photek wrote:Dude, that tweet is 3 days old.

Hmm? I posted it 3 days ago :)

User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:56 pm

Garth wrote:
Photek wrote:Dude, that tweet is 3 days old.

Hmm? I posted it 3 days ago :)

My phone is aids sorry.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: US Politics
by Saigon Slick » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:56 pm

Garth wrote:
Photek wrote:Dude, that tweet is 3 days old.

Hmm? I posted it 3 days ago :)


:lol:

Image Image
User avatar
Harry Ellis
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: US Politics
by Harry Ellis » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Hexx wrote:
Preezy wrote:If that's the case,,,


That is the case you berk :lol:

You are now LITERALLY swallowing the Fake News :lol:

Oh look, Hexx mentioning swallowing.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics
by Monkey Man » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:40 pm



:nod:

Image

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics
by Peter Crisp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:24 pm

It would be fantastic if the entire Presidency ends up being completely destroyed by Nigel Farage.
I wonder what the odd's of that were at the bookies?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], darksideby182, DubuDeccer, Green Gecko, Peter Crisp, wensleydale and 66 guests