US Politics

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Alvin Flummux » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm

Picts or it didn't happen.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:Picts or it didn't happen.


Image

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Peter Crisp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 pm

It's amazing how insular and arrogant some Americans are.
They honestly think that the rest of the worlds so envies the US that they all want to destroy it. They 100% buy into the American exceptionalism bullshit and think they can and should just go it alone and the rest of the world will crumble without their mighty leadership.

I say we let them strawberry float themselves into oblivion and watch them scramble about for answers as to why even when they're completely isolationist the economy is in shambles and they're struggling to manufacture the stuff they want.

Even with Brexit we aren't actively trying to disengage from trade with the EU as the US seems to be with the rest of the world as that would be bloody insane.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:It's amazing how insular and arrogant some Americans are.
They honestly think that the rest of the worlds so envies the US that they all want to destroy it. They 100% buy into the American exceptionalism bullshit and think they can and should just go it alone and the rest of the world will crumble without their mighty leadership.

I say we let them strawberry float themselves into oblivion and watch them scramble about for answers as to why even when they're completely isolationist the economy is in shambles and they're struggling to manufacture the stuff they want.

Even with Brexit we aren't actively trying to disengage from trade with the EU as the US seems to be with the rest of the world as that would be bloody insane.


You know. If you change US for UK it sounds like a description for a brexiteer.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Peter Crisp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:51 pm

While I think Brexiteers want the UK to take control of things like trade and borders I don't think they want to stop trade with the EU in the same way US conservatives do.

US conservatives are on another level in wanting isolationism in a way that the UK as a small country couldn't manage even if we wanted to. I think even the hardcore Brexiteer realises we need things like food/drink and many things we simply don't manufacture and simply don't have the room to replicate that ability.
Not being able to buy foreign beer would cause riots for a start.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Garth of Christmas Future
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Garth of Christmas Future » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Nazi representing the Republican party in Illinois:
‘I snookered them’: Illinois Nazi candidate creates GOP dumpster fire
Republicans fear blowback from Holocaust denier’s run for Congress.

Illinois Republicans botched four opportunities to stop an avowed Nazi from representing their party in a Chicago-area congressional district. Now they’re paying the price.

Arthur Jones, a Holocaust denier who will appear on the November ballot as the GOP candidate against Democratic Rep. Dan Lipinski, has become campaign fodder for Democrats as they seek to defeat Gov. Bruce Rauner. And some Republicans even fear the taint from Jones‘ extremist views poses a threat to the party up and down the ticket.

“First, it’s morally wrong and I think it’s really harmful to the party. The guy’s a complete nutcase. He’s a Nazi,” said conservative GOP state Rep. David McSweeney. “This is an absolute political disaster.”

McSweeney’s comments come just days after the filing deadline passed for qualifying a third-party candidate for the general election — which could have provided a safe harbor for Illinois Republican votes. Prior to that, the party had also failed to recruit a candidate to challenge Jones in the primary election, failed to knock him off the primary ballot and wasn’t able to field a write-in candidate against him in the primary.

Running a third-party candidate against Jones in November was among the options left to Illinois Republicans after Jones clinched the GOP nomination by running unopposed. But the deadline came and went this week and that didn’t happen either.

Jones, who told POLITICO he’s running to counter a “two-party, Jew-party, queer-party system,” laughed when he was informed the GOP was unable to put up a candidate against him.

“They didn’t put up a third-party candidate?” Jones asked when reached by phone Thursday. “That’s great! That’s fantastic!

“I snookered them,” he said of state Republicans. “I played by the rules, what can I say?”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... ans-686875

User avatar
Garth of Christmas Future
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Garth of Christmas Future » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:24 pm

Canada retaliates against Trump's trade tariffs:
Canada makes retaliatory tariffs official: 'We will not back down'

Canada’s foreign minister announced Friday that Ottawa plans to impose about $12.6 billion worth of retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods on July 1, joining other major U.S. allies striking back in the escalating trade dispute.

The country is working closely with the European Union and Mexico, according to Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland.

“We will not escalate, and we will not back down,” Freeland said.

Canada's announcement is part of larger fallout from U.S. President Donald Trump's announcements on trade. The U.S. has levied tariffs of 25 percent on steel and 10 percent on aluminum on Canada, the EU and other nations. As a result, some of the U.S.' biggest trading partners have retaliated with counter-tariffs.ts such as yogurt, caffeinated roasted coffee, toilet paper and sleeping bags.

Canada's plan taking effect next week will include imports of U.S. products such as yogurt, caffeinated roasted coffee, toilet paper and sleeping bags. Mexico's tariffs took effect June 5 on U.S. products such as pork, cheese, cranberries, whiskey and apples. The EU enacted tariffs Friday on more than $3 billion worth of U.S. goods including bourbon, yachts and motorcycles.

The U.S. accounted for 55 percent of Canada's steel imports in 2017, with the remainder coming from China, South Korea, Brazil and Turkey.

The White House's stated goal in implementing tariffs is protecting U.S. jobs, but the initial business response suggests that U.S. companies are taking a hit. Companies are coping with the tit-for-tat tariffs by increasing prices or making business changes to cope with higher costs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/29/canada- ... -down.html

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Garth wrote:Nazi representing the Republican party in Illinois:
‘I snookered them’: Illinois Nazi candidate creates GOP dumpster fire
Republicans fear blowback from Holocaust denier’s run for Congress.

Illinois Republicans botched four opportunities to stop an avowed Nazi from representing their party in a Chicago-area congressional district. Now they’re paying the price.

Arthur Jones, a Holocaust denier who will appear on the November ballot as the GOP candidate against Democratic Rep. Dan Lipinski, has become campaign fodder for Democrats as they seek to defeat Gov. Bruce Rauner. And some Republicans even fear the taint from Jones‘ extremist views poses a threat to the party up and down the ticket.

“First, it’s morally wrong and I think it’s really harmful to the party. The guy’s a complete nutcase. He’s a Nazi,” said conservative GOP state Rep. David McSweeney. “This is an absolute political disaster.”

McSweeney’s comments come just days after the filing deadline passed for qualifying a third-party candidate for the general election — which could have provided a safe harbor for Illinois Republican votes. Prior to that, the party had also failed to recruit a candidate to challenge Jones in the primary election, failed to knock him off the primary ballot and wasn’t able to field a write-in candidate against him in the primary.

Running a third-party candidate against Jones in November was among the options left to Illinois Republicans after Jones clinched the GOP nomination by running unopposed. But the deadline came and went this week and that didn’t happen either.

Jones, who told POLITICO he’s running to counter a “two-party, Jew-party, queer-party system,” laughed when he was informed the GOP was unable to put up a candidate against him.

“They didn’t put up a third-party candidate?” Jones asked when reached by phone Thursday. “That’s great! That’s fantastic!

“I snookered them,” he said of state Republicans. “I played by the rules, what can I say?”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... ans-686875



User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Peter Crisp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Well I guess we can now answer the age old question of if people will vote for actual Nazis if they on their team.

An actual open Nazi in a major electoral race, what a shitty time to be alive.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Even the Zodiac Killer thinks people should vote for the Democrat candidate rather than a Nazi.


User avatar
Harry Ola
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Justice Kennedy retiring, Trump gets another Supreme Court pick
by Harry Ola » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Not posted in here for a while, because we need Mueller to start handing out more indictments and until that happens it's all too depressing. But on the 4th July have to say I enjoyed this:


Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by Hexx » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:47 pm


User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by Monkey Man » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Scott Pruitt quits as head of US environment agency

Scandal-hit Scott Pruitt has resigned as head of the US Environmental Protection Agency.

President Donald Trump said Mr Pruitt had done "an outstanding job, and I will always be thankful to him".

But Mr Pruitt has been embroiled in allegations of ethics violations for months.

His deputy Andrew Wheeler will take over as acting head of the agency, Mr Trump said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44733072

Image
User avatar
Harry Ola
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by Harry Ola » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 am



This could turn out to be a massive appointment if confirmed. Someone with connections to Alfa Bank have direct involvement in "Stupid Watergate".

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 am



:lol:

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by Peter Crisp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:50 am

You filthy liberals just don't understand his brilliance :roll: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by KK » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 am

When I started reading that quote I thought he was talking about records as in vinyl, and that due to some hatred of Elton John was proceeding to smash them up.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:39 am

KK wrote:When I started reading that quote I thought he was talking about records as in vinyl, and that due to some hatred of Elton John was proceeding to smash them up.


I am not convinced that he wasn't talking about smashing vinyl records. Who knows what he is on about. :slol:

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by KK » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:43 am

I think he’s back to crowd sizes again, and the attendance records for each venue...maybe. But then that would probably be a lie as well.

Image
User avatar
Harry Ola
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - Senate Intel Committee concludes Russia interfered in 2016 election, preferred Trump
by Harry Ola » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Seth's been busy again....

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1014896470464622592.html


Image

Return to “Stuff”