USA School Shooting Number 866382948569

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by still » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 am

Rax wrote:What a strawberry floating cesspool of a country, love their sports and theme parks, hate just about everything else about the place.


I can't even stand their stupid sports. ;)

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Moggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 am

RichardUK wrote:It’s hard to say if gun controls would make a massive difference, if your a crazy nutter and your really want a gun you will be able to get one anywhere in the world, also with the amount of guns that will be about in America doing something now would be like locking the stable after the horse has bolted, I agree somthing needs to change but I have no idea how and sadly doubt it ever will


It’s actually quite easy to say that it would make a difference.

Look at countries with strict gun laws. How many of them have had a single school shooting this year, let alone 18 by mid February?

You are right that if you really want to get a gun then you can. Of course. But why make it easy for murderers by stocking ammunition in the supermarket? How easy do you think it is to get an AR-15 on the black market in the UK?

User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by RichardUK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am

still wrote:
Rax wrote:What a strawberry floating cesspool of a country, love their sports and theme parks, hate just about everything else about the place.


I can't even stand their stupid sports. ;)


:lol: I’ve never been outside of Florida but I loved their theme parks, food, weather and the villas we stayed in, once me and my family stayed for over six weeks and I still wasn’t bored

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Rex Kramer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am

captain red dog wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Surely the first, easy step should be a reduction in the types of guns available? Has anyone ever given a reasonable response as to why you should be able to buy an AR-15 over the counter?

Well by far the most gun deaths are by handguns I believe, which is why I don't see the point in banning AR-15s, only a full ban of all guns would be an effective solution.

Banning AR-15s will only cut off one tool for committing these mass murders, anyone hell bent on doing it would just use another gun.

Dont get me wrong, I don't see a need to own an AR-15 either but banning it wouldn't really solve anything.

Handguns may cause the most gun deaths but I'd imagine the vast majority of multiple shootings are by semi-automatic rifles.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Moggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 am

captain red dog wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Surely the first, easy step should be a reduction in the types of guns available? Has anyone ever given a reasonable response as to why you should be able to buy an AR-15 over the counter?

Well by far the most gun deaths are by handguns I believe, which is why I don't see the point in banning AR-15s, only a full ban of all guns would be an effective solution.

Banning AR-15s will only cut off one tool for committing these mass murders, anyone hell bent on doing it would just use another gun.

Dont get me wrong, I don't see a need to own an AR-15 either but banning it wouldn't really solve anything.


It would make a massive difference on the number of casualties when these attacks take place. A semi-automatic rifle that holds 100 bullets is going to kill a lot more people than a handgun that holds 6-9 bullets.

I agree they all need to be banned, but banning semi-automatic rifles would at least be a start.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Preezy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 am

Go away America, you're too crazy for me today.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Hyperion » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am

Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Surely the first, easy step should be a reduction in the types of guns available? Has anyone ever given a reasonable response as to why you should be able to buy an AR-15 over the counter?

Well by far the most gun deaths are by handguns I believe, which is why I don't see the point in banning AR-15s, only a full ban of all guns would be an effective solution.

Banning AR-15s will only cut off one tool for committing these mass murders, anyone hell bent on doing it would just use another gun.

Dont get me wrong, I don't see a need to own an AR-15 either but banning it wouldn't really solve anything.


It would make a massive difference on the number of casualties when these attacks take place. A semi-automatic rifle that holds 100 bullets is going to kill a lot more people than a handgun that holds 6-9 bullets.

I agree they all need to be banned, but banning semi-automatic rifles would at least be a start.


Look at the Vegas shooting. Massive difference without automatic weapons/rifles

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by RichardUK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am

Moggy wrote:
RichardUK wrote:It’s hard to say if gun controls would make a massive difference, if your a crazy nutter and your really want a gun you will be able to get one anywhere in the world, also with the amount of guns that will be about in America doing something now would be like locking the stable after the horse has bolted, I agree somthing needs to change but I have no idea how and sadly doubt it ever will


It’s actually quite easy to say that it would make a difference.

Look at countries with strict gun laws. How many of them have had a single school shooting this year, let alone 18 by mid February?

You are right that if you really want to get a gun then you can. Of course. But why make it easy for murderers by stocking ammunition in the supermarket? How easy do you think it is to get an AR-15 on the black market in the UK?


True, I’m not sticking up for how easy it is supposed to be to get a gun in America but like the saying “guns don’t kill people, people do” I go on shoots quite often and have access to guns, just like we all have access to knifes and thankfully 99.99% of us don’t go around stabbing each other

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Moggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 am

Hyperion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Surely the first, easy step should be a reduction in the types of guns available? Has anyone ever given a reasonable response as to why you should be able to buy an AR-15 over the counter?

Well by far the most gun deaths are by handguns I believe, which is why I don't see the point in banning AR-15s, only a full ban of all guns would be an effective solution.

Banning AR-15s will only cut off one tool for committing these mass murders, anyone hell bent on doing it would just use another gun.

Dont get me wrong, I don't see a need to own an AR-15 either but banning it wouldn't really solve anything.


It would make a massive difference on the number of casualties when these attacks take place. A semi-automatic rifle that holds 100 bullets is going to kill a lot more people than a handgun that holds 6-9 bullets.

I agree they all need to be banned, but banning semi-automatic rifles would at least be a start.


Look at the Vegas shooting. Massive difference without automatic weapons/rifles


Yep, that would have been a much different story if the guy had just had a handgun or a knife.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Moggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 am

RichardUK wrote:"True, I’m not sticking up for how easy it is supposed to be to get a gun in America but like the saying “guns don’t kill people, people do” I go on shoots quite often and have access to guns, just like we all have access to knifes and thankfully 99.99% of us don’t go around stabbing each other


Gunclubs and clay pigeon shooting are strictly controlled though, even people that have shotgun licences in the UK have strict rules they have to follow.

The "guns don't kill people" saying is bullshit, yes people kill people but they kill a damn sight more people when they are armed with semi-automatic weaponry.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Photek » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 am

I've shot an AR-15, I can tell you first hand that while I'm not trained in any way to fire a weapon, I could shoot many targets as it's almost video game like in it's simplicity, there's virtually no recoil and the bullets dispense as with each press of the trigger. I shot at a few tree's and I could go through a magazine of 30 bullets in about 10 seconds If I wanted to. It took another 10 seconds to reload.

I felt literally terrified afterwards that these weapons are in existence in everyday life in the US. I mean I shot a hunting rifle and a shotgun and both have a massive kick back and are cumbersome to hold and aim. Saying banning Assault Rifles wouldn't solve anything is beyond stupid.

They can't ban guns out right, it would possibly cause a civil war down south but they need to start with banning AR's then move to magazine size, how you obtain a gun, background checks and on and on and on over time. They have to start SOMETHING though now.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Moggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 am

Photek wrote:They can't ban guns out right, it would possibly cause a civil war down south but they need to start with banning AR's then move to magazine size, how you obtain a gun, background checks and on and on and on over time. They have to start SOMETHING though now.


Yeah, I think their best option is to go for the small wins and then gradually squeeze out the guns over time. It wouldn't immediately stop the massacres but it could limit the death tolls. Kind of like how you can't stop car crashes but with seatbelts you can limit the deaths caused by them.

It'll probably never happen though and certainly will not at the moment with the Republicans in power.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by captain red dog » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:46 am

Whilst the mass shootings cause the most outrage, that's not where the massive majority of gun deaths are caused. Only a proper ban on guns would make a significant difference.

If you look at the statistics, it is scary how many more people are being blown away outside of these mass shootings. Ok ban AR-15s and you potentially end Vegas style incidents, and that's obviously good. But you still have an absolutely obscene and disgusting number of people being shot to death on a daily basis.

Half hearted solutions are not the answer, America needs to have the serious and painful conversation about the second amendment.

User avatar
shadow202
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by shadow202 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 am

American mass shootings remind me of bombings here in Northern Ireland as a child, you hear it on the news and it doesn't fizzle on you because it happens so often it almost feels part of day to day life.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by KK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:49 am

If I was living in America, I'd definitely have a gun. Wouldn't walk down the street with it, but I'd certainly have one at home somewhere. But a gun would only ever come into play during a burglary. At any other time, unless I was walking around with it 24/7, the odds of me being able to access it would be slim. He or they pull a gun on me, I'm still stuck. The opportunity to shoot them has gone. And even if I had a gun on me, I'm still probably getting shot first before I can return fire.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Preezy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am

captain red dog wrote:Half hearted solutions are not the answer, America needs to have the serious and painful conversation about the second amendment.

Yeah good luck with that.

User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by RichardUK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 am

Totally unrelated but I was listening to the team America soundtrack that I must have purchased on iTunes years ago and it made me laugh, and reading this I can’t get “freedom isn’t free” out of my head

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Vermilion » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am

still wrote:I can't even stand their stupid sports. ;)


I tried watching NFL, but all they seem to do is stand around planning their moves, there's around 5 seconds of action, then it all grinds to a halt again.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Hyperion » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am

KK wrote:If I was living in America, I'd definitely have a gun. Wouldn't walk down the street with it, but I'd certainly have one at home somewhere. But a gun would only ever come into play during a burglary. At any other time, unless I was walking around with it 24/7, the odds of me being able to access it would be slim. He or they pull a gun on me, I'm still stuck. The opportunity to shoot them has gone. And even if I had a gun on me, I'm still probably getting shot first before I can return fire.


So why would you have a gun?

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: USA School Shooting Number 866382948569
by Dual » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am

Photek wrote:I've shot an AR-15, I can tell you first hand that while I'm not trained in any way to fire a weapon, I could shoot many targets as it's almost video game like in it's simplicity, there's virtually no recoil and the bullets dispense as with each press of the trigger. I shot at a few tree's and I could go through a magazine of 30 bullets in about 10 seconds If I wanted to. It took another 10 seconds to reload.

I felt literally terrified afterwards that these weapons are in existence in everyday life in the US. I mean I shot a hunting rifle and a shotgun and both have a massive kick back and are cumbersome to hold and aim. Saying banning Assault Rifles wouldn't solve anything is beyond stupid.


It is cool though isn't it?


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tolrag and 57 guests