Wear caps?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Darkstalker90
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Darkstalker90 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Darkstalker90 wrote:Got a couple of Formula 1 caps but ironically, I don't like to wear them because of how much they cost! I tend to sweat a fair bit in the heat and can't stand to see the sweatband on a £35 cap get wrecked. My messed-up logic.


F1 caps are stupidly expensive, even the older ones previous seasons are pricey.

The most up to date one i have could well be a 2009 Brawn GP design.


My most expensive one (at £35-£40) is a 2014 Seb Vettel Red Bull cap, bought back when I had more disposable money. Now? You wouldn't catch me spending that much on a cap.

Gutted that I used to have a '92 Williams/Renault cap and utterly ruined it from overuse. Perhaps that's where my unwillingness to let the same thing happen again stems from :roll:

User avatar
Rob-Ho-Ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Rob-Ho-Ho-92 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Darkstalker90 wrote:Got a couple of Formula 1 caps but ironically, I don't like to wear them because of how much they cost! I tend to sweat a fair bit in the heat and can't stand to see the sweatband on a £35 cap get wrecked. My messed-up logic.


Yeah this was an issue when I went to Silverstone this year...... Thankfully I didn't actually purchase the hat in question but rather gifted it instead, slight bit of muck in the inside band but nothing major thankfully as its a nice hat!

Image

Image
User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Vermi-Claus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Darkstalker90 wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Darkstalker90 wrote:Got a couple of Formula 1 caps but ironically, I don't like to wear them because of how much they cost! I tend to sweat a fair bit in the heat and can't stand to see the sweatband on a £35 cap get wrecked. My messed-up logic.


F1 caps are stupidly expensive, even the older ones previous seasons are pricey.

The most up to date one i have could well be a 2009 Brawn GP design.


My most expensive one (at £35-£40) is a 2014 Seb Vettel Red Bull cap, bought back when I had more disposable money. Now? You wouldn't catch me spending that much on a cap.

Gutted that I used to have a '92 Williams/Renault cap and utterly ruined it from overuse. Perhaps that's where my unwillingness to let the same thing happen again stems from :roll:


I have loads of old 90's era caps, including a team issue one from Benetton with 'Mild Seven' on the front which they sent me after i wrote to them (they weren't sold anywhere in the UK at that time, Mild Seven caps only became available in later years when the team became Renault), a bunch of Michael Schumacher Dekra designs (these days Nico Hulkenberg wears Dekra caps), some Rothmans Williams designs, and a Mastercard Lola team cap which i bought from a shop which specialised in team clothing and had acquired a couple after the team went bust.

See here...


User avatar
Darkstalker90
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Darkstalker90 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Those sound awesome, Vermillion. Wouldn't mind wearing a Mild Seven or Rothmans cap just to annoy the "ban the advertising of everything" brigade.

In all seriousness, great liveries/colour schemes and great times.

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Vermi-Claus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Darkstalker90 wrote:Those sound awesome, Vermillion. Wouldn't mind wearing a Mild Seven or Rothmans cap just to annoy the "ban the advertising of everything" brigade.


I also have a Marlboro Ferrari cap (with Eddie Irvine branding) which was a nightmare to get hold of (like the Mild Seven ones, they weren't sold in the UK at that time), eventually found one on a stall at a motor show, at the time it cost £30 which was really steep when you consider that it was 1997/98.

Edit: Just found a pic of one...

Image

User avatar
Darkstalker90
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Darkstalker90 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Very nice. Did you collect F1 caps then or just have a habit of buying them?

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Vermi-Claus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Darkstalker90 wrote:Very nice. Did you collect F1 caps then or just have a habit of buying them?


I used to go to a lot of race meetings at Silverstone during the mid-late 90's (also did Donington & Thruxton in later years before stopping in 2004/05).

Would normally be for events such as Formula 3, sportscars, or the BTCC, but even so, i would always encounter F1 merchandise stalls and so developed a habit of buying caps for a while (along with getting free ones after writing to race teams such as the Mild Seven one, and a B&H Jordan one).

It was back then that i also started collecting F1 autographs (via meeting some drivers at race meetings and writing to others). Over the years my collection grew substantially, and my collection of F1 signatures is as follows...

(spoilered because it's quite a long list, i first put it together when sorting out my memorabilia box a while back)

My F1 Driver Autographs

Jose Froilan Gonzalez
Stirling Moss
Tony Brooks
John Surtees
Jack Brabham
Jackie Stewart
Cliff Allison
Clay Regazzoni
Niki Lauda
Mario Andretti
Jody Scheckter
Nelson Piquet
Alain Prost
Nigel Mansell
Michele Alboreto
Jonathan Palmer
Martin Brundle
Derek Warwick
Thierry Boutsen
Bernd Schneider
Martin Donnelly
Gabriele Tarquini
Roberto Moreno
Johnny Herbert
Gianni Morbidelli
Jean Alesi
Mark Blundell
Mika Hakkinen
Julian Bailey
Damon Hill
Michael Andretti
Karl Wendlinger
Perry McCarthy
Rubens Barrichello
David Coulthard
Mika Salo
Olivier Panis
David Brabham
Jan Magnussen
Pedro Diniz
Alex Wurz
Jarno Trulli
Shinji Nakano
Tora Takagi
Pedro De La Rosa
Ricardo Zonta
Luciano Burti
Jenson Button
Nick Heidfeld
Juan Pablo Montoya
Enrique Bernoldi
Alex Yoong
Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa
Takuma Sato
Anthony Davidson
Allan McNish
Mark Webber
Antonio Pizzonia
Justin Wilson
Nicolas Kiesa
Gianmaria Bruni
Narain Karthikeyan
Lewis Hamilton
Heikki Kovalainen
Sebastian Vettel
Nelson Piquet Jr
Romain Grosjean
Sebastian Buemi
Nico Hulkenberg
Karun Chandhok
Bruno Senna
Lucas Di Grassi
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Daniel Ricciardo
Jean Eric Vergne
Charles Pic
Valtteri Bottas
Jules Bianchi
Max Chilton
Marcus Ericsson
Andre Lotterer
Kevin Magnussen
Daniil Kvyat
Felipe Nasr
Carlos Sainz Jr
Max Verstappen
Esteban Ocon
Jolyon Palmer
Joachim Winkelhock
Lance Stroll
Sergei Sirotkin
Robert Kubica

User avatar
Darkstalker90
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Darkstalker90 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Impressive! Ever tried to get Schumacher or Raikkonen? I noticed you were missing those ones amongst others. I imagine the former costs a lot to buy as far as autographs go.

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Vermi-Claus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Darkstalker90 wrote:Impressive! Ever tried to get Schumacher or Raikkonen? I noticed you were missing those ones amongst others. I imagine the former costs a lot to buy as far as autographs go.


Michael Schumacher was always one the hardest to get because when i started collecting, he'd already joined Ferrari and they didn't send out signed driver cards to fans back then. After he retired (and during his comeback with Mercedes) i wasn't collecting and so never got around to it sadly.

With Kimi, being a Ferrari driver means it's not easy to get him, i should have done it when he was at Lotus but after i first stopped in 2005, i didn't start collecting again until 2014 and by then it was Maldonado and Grosjean driving for them.

Another driver who i've never been able to get one from is Jacques Villeneuve, despite repeated attempts in the late 90's.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Return_of_the_STAR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Darkstalker90 wrote:Impressive! Ever tried to get Schumacher or Raikkonen? I noticed you were missing those ones amongst others. I imagine the former costs a lot to buy as far as autographs go.


Michael Schumacher was always one the hardest to get because when i started collecting, he'd already joined Ferrari and they didn't send out signed driver cards to fans back then. After he retired (and during his comeback with Mercedes) i wasn't collecting and so never got around to it sadly.

With Kimi, being a Ferrari driver means it's not easy to get him, i should have done it when he was at Lotus but after i first stopped in 2005, i didn't start collecting again until 2014 and by then it was Maldonado and Grosjean driving for them.

Another driver who i've never been able to get one from is Jacques Villeneuve, despite repeated attempts in the late 90's.


I actually had a signature of Michael Schumacher. My grandfather met him in an Indian restaurant in the 90s in Northampton when I believe he still raced for bennetton. I think he was testing at Silverstone or something when they were allowed to test a lot. However I somehow lost it over the following few years. That or my friend stole it from my bedroom. I've always suspected him. My Gary lineker signature also vanished.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Green Gecko » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:31 pm

I can confirm I successfully pulled off the turquoise cap, no awkward looks, many other people in the town wearing caps of all ages.

Conclusion: wear caps? yes.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:25 am

I’ve taken to wearing a Green Bay packers stretch fit cap for most of the summer. Much to my mother in laws disgust as she thinks caps are chavy. It’s super comfy and not as hot as a lot of caps.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Green Gecko » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:27 am

I did notice the hotness, as I'm not used to wearing them. But a quick shuffle, little bit of air let in and it's all fine.

cotton so much better than any of the shinier ones. I wouldn't suit one of those mesh back ones, too kool for me.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
*<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wear caps?
by *<]:^D » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:30 am

its for airflow & cooling innit?

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Wear caps?
by Vermi-Claus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:I actually had a signature of Michael Schumacher. My grandfather met him in an Indian restaurant in the 90s in Northampton when I believe he still raced for bennetton. I think he was testing at Silverstone or something when they were allowed to test a lot. However I somehow lost it over the following few years. That or my friend stole it from my bedroom. I've always suspected him. My Gary lineker signature also vanished.


Never been able to get one from Gary Lineker either.

One thing i do have however, is a Michael Schumacher 1995 champion cap which was only available for a short time after his second title win (a few months after, the only one on sale was his 1996 Ferrari design).

Image

Spent pretty much the entire second half of the 90's wearing Schumi Dekra caps.

Also, in regards to autographs, i also have some non-driver F1 sigs which includes (but not limited to)...

Murray Walker, Adrian Newey, Frank Williams, David Richards (BAR Honda boss and Prodrive chief), & Carlos Sainz Sr.


Return to “Stuff”