The Emulators Thread - RPCS3 now runs PS3 Games in 4K

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Johnny Ryall » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Retro pie is good for 2d stuff and PS1. I keep meaning to pick up one of those Bluetooth 8bitdo SNES pads for it. The pi is tiny too so it's great if you are staying with relatives or that. Plan on hammering the SNES RPGs when I get the time using it

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:39 pm

They seem like a decent set up. One of my mates has one and it seems to run perfectly fine. Didn't see him try anything too challenging though, mostly SNES and NES games.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Johnny Ryall » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:55 pm

The latest pi 3 handles PS1 fine. The issue you run into though is game sizes get big on PS1 and I want to say the pi only supports 32 got cards?

N64 for whatever reason chugs on it. I think Dreamcast works fine. For like £30 plus a fiver for a case though it's good value.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Lagamorph » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:The latest pi 3 handles PS1 fine. The issue you run into though is game sizes get big on PS1 and I want to say the pi only supports 32 got cards?

N64 for whatever reason chugs on it. I think Dreamcast works fine. For like £30 plus a fiver for a case though it's good value.

N64 emulators chug on way more powerful hardware as well generally.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by IAmTheSaladMan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 am

The GameCube struggled with N64 emulation too, Majora's Mask ran terribly. I've always found N64 emulation troublesome outside Virtual Console.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Jenuall » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 am

Really interesting write up on the Dolphin emulator blog about how they have been trying to overcome the stuttering introduced by shader compilation:

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/07/30/ubershaders/

Fair play to the people developing these emulators - this goes to show the level of effort people put in to preserving the ability to run games from the past!

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Ironhide » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Brerlappin wrote:Dragons Crown is working well now too



Don't let Taf see that.

Image
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by IAmTheSaladMan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Apparently a bunch of EMU sites are taking down all their Nintendo ROMs.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Jenuall » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Apparently a bunch of EMU sites are taking down all their Nintendo ROMs.


This has happened in the past I believe, they usually show up again after a while...

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Lagamorph » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Jenuall wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Apparently a bunch of EMU sites are taking down all their Nintendo ROMs.


This has happened in the past I believe, they usually show up again after a while...

But where will Nintendo get their VC releases now?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Johnny Ryall » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm

I've bought so many VC releases of nintendo games I feel zero guilt about having ROMs now.

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by IAmTheSaladMan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:I've bought so many VC releases of nintendo games I feel zero guilt about having ROMs now.


Same, I've bought games on almost every Nintendo system since the NES often multiple times when you factor in the Virtual Console on both Wii and Wii U. They've had my money several times over.

Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Apparently a bunch of EMU sites are taking down all their Nintendo ROMs.


This has happened in the past I believe, they usually show up again after a while...

But where will Nintendo get their VC releases now?

It's not unfeasible that this is a prelude to some Switch VC news. If they are going to offer them for sale, with a VC library available for people who sub to the Online service, they may be wanting to crack down on the number of ROMS that are easily available and have sent out scary lawyer letters. Just like they did with the Metroid 2 fan remake, then they announced their own official one a few months later.

Stopping ROMS now is an impossible task (Like trying to drink soup with a sieve), but it could indicate something is on its way.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by IAmTheSaladMan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Apparently a bunch of EMU sites are taking down all their Nintendo ROMs.


This has happened in the past I believe, they usually show up again after a while...

But where will Nintendo get their VC releases now?

It's not unfeasible that this is a prelude to some Switch VC news. If they are going to offer them for sale, with a VC library available for people who sub to the Online service, they may be wanting to crack down on the number of ROMS that are easily available and have sent out scary lawyer letters. Just like they did with the Metroid 2 fan remake, then they announced their own official one a few months later.

Stopping ROMS now is an impossible task (Like trying to drink soup with a sieve), but it could indicate something is on its way.


I was thinking something similar when I first heard the news.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Lagamorph » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:11 pm

But if Nintendo have all the ROMs taken off emulator websites where will they get them to sell on the Virtual Console?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Lagamorph wrote:But if Nintendo have all the ROMs taken off emulator websites where will they get them to sell on the Virtual Console?

They just downloaded them all first.

Next version of Super Mario Bros to be missing the title and start in the minus world.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Johnny Ryall » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 pm

I got one of those 8bitdo bluetooth SNES pads today. Build quality is fantastic. Took a bit of fiddling to get it working with retropie, had to update the firmware on the pad itself and you have to add it with a wired pad. But now it's setup this is going to be my go to for all 2D retro stuff. It doesn't have enough buttons for PS1 or N64 but anything earlier this is perfect for.

There's something really rad about playing 8 and 16 bit stuff on a 50 inch 1080p screen. :datass: Definitely recommend the Pi and SFC30 combo, it's tiny under your TV.

Going to try and curate a list of games for each system I'm actually interested in now. It's easy to stick complete ROM dumps on there but then you spend more time trying to find something good than actually playing.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Trelliz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Does anyone have experience messing with controller configs in Dolphin? I picked up a 360 wireless DJ hero turntable at a car boot sale for £1 to play DJ hero 2 on dolphin and maybe the original on PCSX2, thinking that if it doesn't work then it's no big loss for that price. It works fine except that Dolphin can't detect the turntable turning for scratching - I've checked on X360CE and it's working, and it's a known issue i've seen talk about on reddit but i don't understand enough about adjusting the sensitivity values to make it work.

EDIT: NVM, fixed it - some people talking about smash bros and gamecube controller settings provided the syntax for assigning values. Now I can DJ away, but have to go through the whole palava again for DJ Hero 1 on PCSX2 :dread:

Last edited by Trelliz on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Brerlappin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Just finished Demons Souls in RPCS3. Overall it worked great, only issues were 5-2 has a glitched skybox, and the occasional crash.

Just fired up CEMU 1.9 to see how BOTW is doing. Actually started playing the game now too, it gets a lot more enjoyable once you get off the great plateau. Installed a high res shadows/4k graphics pack

Image

Image

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Emulators Thread - Demons souls now 100% playable on PC
by Trelliz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Why does everyone love retroarch so much? I've spent what seems like hours trying to get it to successfully load ps1 games, let alone make them look good. You can't change a game's settings (resolution etc) unless you're running it which is bizarre, meaning if something breaks and it no longer loads then you're done as far as I can tell. I've been trying to get Gran Turismo 2 to run and for a few times it did, now it doesn't and I can't re-load it to find out why, i've deleted the game-specific config and still nothing. Nevermind trying to navigate the wannabe playstation menu. I actually find using more archaic-looking emulators like ePSXe and PCSX2 easier than trying to find stuff through this. As a result of all this fruitless strawberry floating around I have lost all interest in emulating PS1 games on it and in general for the time being.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Buffalo, Gemini73, Pedz, Peter Crisp, PuppetBoy, rudderless, Trelliz and 45 guests