Windows 8 - Windows 8.1 now available!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: Windows 8
by 1cmanny1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm

I have no complaints about 7. Its fast and easy to use, and can run just about everything. Even old games.

Image
User avatar
~Earl Grey~
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by ~Earl Grey~ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:31 pm

1cmanny1 wrote:I have no complaints about 7. Its fast and easy to use, and can run just about everything. Even old games.


Can it run Zaxxon and Bouncing Babies?

User avatar
tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: N.Ireland
Contact:

PostRe: Windows 8
by tomvek » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:02 pm

The Windows 8 tablet interface looks really smooth and intuitive. I'd love a really cheep Tablet PC in the future to use it on.

Image Image
Something Fishy

PostRe: Windows 8
by Something Fishy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Skarjo wrote:Microsoft will never top Windows 7.


Fixed.


Actually, yeah. You're right, Windows 7 is pretty strawberry floating incredible. If Windows 8 continues along the same lines, I won't be complaining.


I agree, it's their best.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Windows 8
by lex-man » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:46 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Pred wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Pred wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:Even with all this, the feature I'm most looking forward to is the ability to mount ISO files without using other software.


It can already be done in Windows 7.


What? How? You can burn them, but not mount them.


Maybe I'm getting mixed up. Sorry. :oops:

No, there was a tool for that with early versions of Windows 7, I'm sure there was.


There is a program called daemon-tools that lets you mount iso's. It been around since XP.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads

User avatar
Mogster
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by Mogster » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:57 pm

lex-man wrote:
TheTurnipKing wrote:
Pred wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Pred wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:Even with all this, the feature I'm most looking forward to is the ability to mount ISO files without using other software.


It can already be done in Windows 7.


What? How? You can burn them, but not mount them.


Maybe I'm getting mixed up. Sorry. :oops:

No, there was a tool for that with early versions of Windows 7, I'm sure there was.


There is a program called daemon-tools that lets you mount iso's. It been around since XP.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads

I see you missed the "without using other software" bit. ;)

Windows 8 allows you to mount ISOs as a core feature of the OS.

I'm Let's Playing my way through the Tomb Raider series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JevanMoss
User avatar
Mogster
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by Mogster » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:01 pm

lex-man wrote:
TheTurnipKing wrote:
Pred wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Pred wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:Even with all this, the feature I'm most looking forward to is the ability to mount ISO files without using other software.


It can already be done in Windows 7.


What? How? You can burn them, but not mount them.


Maybe I'm getting mixed up. Sorry. :oops:

No, there was a tool for that with early versions of Windows 7, I'm sure there was.


There is a program called daemon-tools that lets you mount iso's. It been around since XP.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads

I see you missed the "without using other software" bit. ;)

Windows 8 allows you to mount ISOs as a core feature of the OS.

I'm Let's Playing my way through the Tomb Raider series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JevanMoss
User avatar
~Earl Grey~
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by ~Earl Grey~ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:08 pm

About time too. What took them so long?

User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Windows 8
by Somebody Else's Presents » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:50 pm

lex-man wrote:There is a program called daemon-tools that lets you mount iso's. It been around since XP.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads


I've already stated that I use that.

Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by NickSCFC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 am

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/09/wind ... e/?m=false

I'm impressed, will no doubt be back to 20 odd seconds once you've had your laptop for a month or two.

Image Image
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Windows 8
by BID0 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 am

That's going to be so good for the media computers I'm planning on selling :wub: especially with the MetroUI

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by NickSCFC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 am

Might finally invest in a tablet once this is out, seems like all Win 8 tablets will have full Windows alongside the Metro UI.

Image Image
User avatar
Drunken_Master
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by Drunken_Master » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:56 am

What's the attraction in having a full version of Windows for tablet?

Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by NickSCFC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 am

Drunken_Master wrote:What's the attraction in having a full version of Windows for tablet?


Well compare iOS/Android to OSX/Windows, not that hard to see the attraction provided it's modified to be touch friendly.

Image Image
User avatar
Drunken_Master
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by Drunken_Master » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:06 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:What's the attraction in having a full version of Windows for tablet?


Well compare iOS/Android to OSX/Windows, not that hard to see the attraction provided it's modified to be touch friendly.


Still not feeling it.

I've got a tablet, and I use it as a couch surfer. I honestly can't see why I'd want to use one with a fully featured OS. What's the point? All I use it for is a bit of surfing and some Youtube videos.

Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by NickSCFC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 am

Drunken_Master wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:What's the attraction in having a full version of Windows for tablet?


Well compare iOS/Android to OSX/Windows, not that hard to see the attraction provided it's modified to be touch friendly.


Still not feeling it.

I've got a tablet, and I use it as a couch surfer. I honestly can't see why I'd want to use one with a fully featured OS. What's the point? All I use it for is a bit of surfing and some Youtube videos.


Well some people don't like to waste money on countless devices that do the same thing. Not everyone's a tech geek who wants everything that comes out.

Image Image
User avatar
Drunken_Master
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by Drunken_Master » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:50 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:What's the attraction in having a full version of Windows for tablet?


Well compare iOS/Android to OSX/Windows, not that hard to see the attraction provided it's modified to be touch friendly.


Still not feeling it.

I've got a tablet, and I use it as a couch surfer. I honestly can't see why I'd want to use one with a fully featured OS. What's the point? All I use it for is a bit of surfing and some Youtube videos.


Well some people don't like to waste money on countless devices that do the same thing. Not everyone's a tech geek who wants everything that comes out.



If you want a device which does everything, buy a laptop. Tablets aren't the answer. Unless you get a tablet with a keyboard, ergo a laptop. :lol: Or one of those laptops with a touchscreen where you can fold it so it looks like a tablet.

For any sort of work which requires prolonged use with a keyb, or if you're doing something which requires heavy processing, a tablet as an 'all in one' device is not the answer. Even with Windows 8 on it.

Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by NickSCFC » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 am

Drunken_Master wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:What's the attraction in having a full version of Windows for tablet?


Well compare iOS/Android to OSX/Windows, not that hard to see the attraction provided it's modified to be touch friendly.


Still not feeling it.

I've got a tablet, and I use it as a couch surfer. I honestly can't see why I'd want to use one with a fully featured OS. What's the point? All I use it for is a bit of surfing and some Youtube videos.


Well some people don't like to waste money on countless devices that do the same thing. Not everyone's a tech geek who wants everything that comes out.



If you want a device which does everything, buy a laptop. Tablets aren't the answer. Unless you get a tablet with a keyboard, ergo a laptop. :lol: Or one of those laptops with a touchscreen where you can fold it so it looks like a tablet.

For any sort of work which requires prolonged use with a keyb, or if you're doing something which requires heavy processing, a tablet as an 'all in one' device is not the answer. Even with Windows 8 on it.


Bingo! Connect a wireless/USB keyboard and wireless mouse and your future tablet becomes a full blown PC. It's better than Apple and Google's draconian vision of future computing.

Image Image
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by TheTurnipKing » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 pm

A gooseberry fool full-blown PC, though. Tablet hardware usually doesn't... indeed, CAN'T offer a whole lot of grunt. I mean, there's some interesting potential there, but Tablet hardware isn't really ready to offer it yet.

There's not much you can do with Windows running natively on the tablet that you couldn't do with remote desktop running as an app on Android or iOS.

User avatar
Drunken_Master
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 8
by Drunken_Master » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:07 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
Bingo! Connect a wireless/USB keyboard and wireless mouse and your future tablet becomes a full blown PC. It's better than Apple and Google's draconian vision of future computing.



Except it won't be a full blown PC. Most tablets will have low power ARM chips in them, because tablets have different considerations to 'proper' computers. Tablets have to run cooler, and last longer on battery. Yes, you can surf the internet, maybe type a word document and watch a few films. But what if I want to re-encode some DVDs, do some video editing or do some image manipulation which high quality photos?


They'll be okay for your 'light' computer user, but as a replacement for a proper computer? Nah.

EDIT

TurnipKing to the rescue. Where were you man?

Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Met, myrrh heat than light, tolrag and 49 guests