Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Which smartphone OS do you use/plan to use?

Windows
4
31%
Android
6
46%
iOS (iPhone)
3
23%
Other
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 13
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Death's Head » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Errkal wrote:I did the same ish. For the most part the apps are there that i would like but the apps that are there are a bit gooseberry fool where as on Andro they work great so I left. The OS is gooseberry fool hot but the app makers arent putting in anything like the effort microsoft have in making the OS.

The problem is the relatively tiny user base, there is no incentive beyond a quick as you can port.
Yes?
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: RE: Re: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Errkal » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:25 am

Death's Head wrote:
Errkal wrote:I did the same ish. For the most part the apps are there that i would like but the apps that are there are a bit gooseberry fool where as on Andro they work great so I left. The OS is gooseberry fool hot but the app makers arent putting in anything like the effort microsoft have in making the OS.

The problem is the relatively tiny user base, there is no incentive beyond a quick as you can port.


Yeah, but then in turn causes the small user base as why would you choose to go to a badly supported OS. Microsoft have done an awesome job at the OS it is the best OS out there, but the app makers are the ones causing the failure of it, they need to make the effort and people will come, until they do it is doomed.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by NickSCFC » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:04 am

Errkal wrote:Yeah, but then in turn causes the small user base as why would you choose to go to a badly supported OS. Microsoft have done an awesome job at the OS it is the best OS out there, but the app makers are the ones causing the failure of it, they need to make the effort and people will come, until they do it is doomed.


It's really good, enjoying Edge, the new messaging system and Cortana, it's very consistent with Windows 10s tablet mode which I use daily on my Surface.

I think app growth will actually come from developers making Universal Apps for the tablet which is really gaining traction now.
Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Death's Head » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 am

Errkal wrote:Yeah, but then in turn causes the small user base as why would you choose to go to a badly supported OS. Microsoft have done an awesome job at the OS it is the best OS out there, but the app makers are the ones causing the failure of it, they need to make the effort and people will come, until they do it is doomed.

Is it the app makers fault any more than it is 3rd parties fault that Nintendo has poor 3rd party support? MS are the new player on the phone scene, they need to pay all of these developers to put in the work needed, otherwise they will use their resources on the more lucrative Apple and Android formats.
Yes?
bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by bear » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:31 am

I've no doubt said this before but for me the big issue is phone pricing. The 950 and 950XL were priced like iPhones and you'd have to be a loon to choose the Lumias over the iPhone or a Nexus 6p.
Considering how little effort third party's put into Windows Phone I still think the only way that Microsoft can grow market share is by pricing their next flagship like a Oneplus phone even if they only make 50p profit on each phone sold. If they can carve out enough of a niche that app support starts to noticeably improve then third party's will return to support the platform.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Death's Head » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:37 am

bear wrote:I've no doubt said this before but for me the big issue is phone pricing. The 950 and 950XL were priced like iPhones and you'd have to be a loon to choose the Lumias over the iPhone or a Nexus 6p.
Considering how little effort third party's put into Windows Phone I still think the only way that Microsoft can grow market share is by pricing their next flagship like a Oneplus phone even if they only make 50p profit on each phone sold. If they can carve out enough of a niche that app support starts to noticeably improve then third party's will return to support the platform.

I'm not sure OP is a good example. Yes, a powerful, quality and cheap phone, but ridiculously poor after sales service. I agree the high end MS phones are too expensive though and they need to have a price no more than £300.
Yes?
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by more heat than light » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:37 am

Well, that or make a phone that doesn't look like the most generic thing ever. A 950 looks awful next to all the new shiny toys from Samsung and co. Maybe have a chat with the Surface design team.
jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by NickSCFC » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 am

more heat than light wrote:Well, that or make a phone that doesn't look like the most generic thing ever. A 950 looks awful next to all the new shiny toys from Samsung and co. Maybe have a chat with the Surface design team.


The devices division (Panos) have taken over Lumia (along with Xbox hardware), so I expect to see an improvement there.
Image
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Rightey » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:42 pm

I'm looking to get a new phone and noticed that the Microsoft store here has a buy 1 get 1 free deal on the Lumia 950. So I was wondering how good is Windows Phone 10. My Dad has a Lumia 1020, which I really liked, but these new ones aren't made my Nokia anymore so I'm not sure how good it is. Also I've never ued the OS, how secure is it compared to everything else?
Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Death's Head » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:55 pm

Rightey wrote:I'm looking to get a new phone and noticed that the Microsoft store here has a buy 1 get 1 free deal on the Lumia 950. So I was wondering how good is Windows Phone 10. My Dad has a Lumia 1020, which I really liked, but these new ones aren't made my Nokia anymore so I'm not sure how good it is. Also I've never ued the OS, how secure is it compared to everything else?

Really? Why don't they just make it half price.
Yes?
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Rightey » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:07 am

Death's Head wrote:
Rightey wrote:I'm looking to get a new phone and noticed that the Microsoft store here has a buy 1 get 1 free deal on the Lumia 950. So I was wondering how good is Windows Phone 10. My Dad has a Lumia 1020, which I really liked, but these new ones aren't made my Nokia anymore so I'm not sure how good it is. Also I've never ued the OS, how secure is it compared to everything else?

Really? Why don't they just make it half price.


Really. I agree it's dumb but that's the deal.
Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.
User avatar
Wiggy G32
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: cpc3232

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Wiggy G32 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:41 am

I haven't been around for a while. I got a 950XL last year for around 410 I really enjoyed it and i could see the improvements over time for the OS but after the last announcement by MS i decided it was time to move on. Sadly W10M is pretty much dead now and i had issues with the phone rebooting and spotify playing up so i cut my losses. I bought a Redmi note 3 pro prime and have to say i dont regret it for the money it does a lot better then my 950 apart from wireless charging and the camera of course. i do miss wp as the OS was amazing and things like the outlook handling all my emails were great its much more cumbersome on android. I also miss the keyboard that was the best on wp by far but my band still works with the redmi and MS has better versions of there apps on android so overall im happy
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The north of Ireland.

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Meep » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:59 am

I am looking to get a new phone sometime around August. What would be the best Windows 10 device for £150-200? Or is there anything new in that range anticipated to be released soon?
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Errkal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Meep wrote:I am looking to get a new phone sometime around August. What would be the best Windows 10 device for £150-200? Or is there anything new in that range anticipated to be released soon?


There have been no news or announcements for a while, it is looking highly likely that WP is dead.
User avatar
Wiggy G32
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: cpc3232

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by Wiggy G32 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Errkal wrote:
Meep wrote:I am looking to get a new phone sometime around August. What would be the best Windows 10 device for £150-200? Or is there anything new in that range anticipated to be released soon?


There have been no news or announcements for a while, it is looking highly likely that WP is dead.


Yea even I have to say it would be a stupid choice to get one now. Maybe down the line MS can carve a niche out but right now its dead. A phone like this redmi I have is a lot better value
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by NickSCFC » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Looks like Microsoft are about to announce a Surface Phone capable of running full Windows x86 programs

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2016/11 ... le-device/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts ... liverable/
Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Windows 10 Mobile thread - Update out now
by That's not a growth » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Bit of hyperbole there nick, rumours are for this time next year.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Rightey, wensleydale and 42 guests