Page 1 of 127

Windows 10 Mobile thread - Microsoft confirms it's dead

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:51 pm
by NickSCFC
Image

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/about

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/phones/lumia/

Windows 10 Mobile is designed to deliver the best user experience on smaller, mobile, touch-centric devices like smartphones and small tablets. It boasts the same, new universal Windows apps that are included in Windows 10 Home, as well as the new touch-optimized version of Office. Windows 10 Mobile offers great productivity, security and management capabilities for customers who use their personal devices at work. In addition, Windows 10 Mobile will enable some new devices to take advantage of Continuum for phone, so people can use their phone like a PC when connected to a larger screen.


Image





Latest handsets:

Microsoft
Lumia 950 (Continuum)
Lumia 950XL (Continuum)
Lumia 640
Lumia 640XL
Lumia 550


HTC
One (M8)

Acer
M220
Jade Primo 'Pocket PC' (Continuum)

Alcatel
Pop 2



Features:

Cortana digital assistant

Image


Edge web browser

Image


Outlook Mail and Calendar

Image


Messaging with integrated SMS, Skype and WhatsApp

Image


Office

Image


Xbox games with Achievements

Image


Continuum

Image

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:55 pm
by Steve
Not really interested. All these mobile platforms need to mature before they are really useful. Android is my platform of choice, but it still needs a lot of development to make it 'perfect'.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 pm
by suzzopher
I might be interested. Going to see how they pan out over the next few months.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:57 pm
by Frank
I've had Windows phone 7 rammed down my throat for the past few weeks by one of my friends who is obsessed with it. How anyone can get that enthusiastic about a phone OS is beyond me.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:57 pm
by Steve
Frank wrote:I've had Windows phone 7 rammed down my throat for the past few weeks by one of my friends who is obsessed with it. How anyone can get that enthusiastic about a phone OS is beyond me.


That is pretty sad.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm
by Rubix
Nope

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:03 pm
by Peter Crisp
I'm not sure why when I try to be up to date with gadgets but I have never been excited by new phones. I've had 2 handsets in the last 10 years and all I require it to do is phone and text. I honestly don't see the point in paying through the nose for the internet on a phone when I can wait for a few days at most and get on for almost nothing at home or a friends.
I'm just really not bothered about my phone looking trendy as I'm not trendy anyway.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:05 pm
by KK
Windows? On a phone? Sounds like weird voodoo to me.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:06 pm
by Wedgie
And you get achievements on it. :fp:

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:14 pm
by abcd
I remember it was Nokia all the way, then the iphone came along, and then android phones came along and so on.

Is it too late?

Nothing is too late unless they know when the worlds going to end?

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm
by massimo
Peter Crisp wrote:I'm not sure why when I try to be up to date with gadgets but I have never been excited by new phones. I've had 2 handsets in the last 10 years and all I require it to do is phone and text. I honestly don't see the point in paying through the nose for the internet on a phone when I can wait for a few days at most and get on for almost nothing at home or a friends.
I'm just really not bothered about my phone looking trendy as I'm not trendy anyway.

I could understand people having that opinion a few years back, but the truth is that these days, phones aren't just phones. They are small personal computers which genuinely can enhance your everyday life. For example, google maps on the iPhone. I'd be dead in a ditch somewhere if it wasn't for that. Or the less immediate stuff like checking cinema movie times easily at a variety of locations or more importantly, checking GRcade.

On the subject of Windows Phone 7.
I love how that first page looks. It's interesting, stylish, kinda sexy, but once you get passed that screen the whole OS looks massively confusing. I've spent a long time watching videos of the UI, and I think it gets more and more confusing and ugly the deeper in you get.
The way the larger words at the top don't fit the screen and overlap looks messy. It doesn't seem to have buttons, just words to select. It's just lists and lists of names/options. Black on white/white on black seems cool, but makes it difficult to view.

I think Microsoft have missed the boat on mobile OS somewhat. One of the biggest problems MS is likely to face is with the mobile carriers and the people actually making these phones. People like HTC, Sony Ericsson, etc have used Android because it is customisable. They can put their own skin on it and make it different from the rest of mobile phones(Sense, etc). I'm not so sure Windows Phone 7 can do that. Phone companies want to offer a wide choice. I doubt a company will release phone after phone of the same WP7 os.

Apart from that, of all the leaked photos of supposed handsets, I'm yet to see an attractive piece of hardware.

EDIT: gooseberry fool, I completely forgot about the whole lack of multi-tasking and copy/paste features. It's perfectly fine to be missing those things on older hardware/software, but WP7 is being released this month on brand new hardware. :fp:

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 pm
by False
I definately wanna give it a go if it supports my phone. Yet to find an OS which does everything right, so I still havent got a favourite.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:36 pm
by bear
Wedgie wrote:And you get achievements on it. :fp:


Whats wrong with that?

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:42 pm
by shas'la
i shall be getting one by the end of october, really like the dell handset but i dont think it will be a launch model, so i'll probably get the HD7.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 pm
by Rubix
Where's the poll?

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:12 pm
by abcd
Rubix78 wrote:Where's the poll?



Probably on a building site.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:13 pm
by Partridge Iciclebubbles
I don’t like carrying too much stuff around with me so the iPhone is almost perfect. I get all the phone related stuff plus it saves me having to carry around an MP3 player, camera, handheld gaming, a watch, a netbook, GPS, a calendar, etc etc. Ok I probably wouldn’t carry most of that around at any one time, but its useful to have it.

I am not too bothered by what runs my phone though as long as it works. The iPhone was the best around last time I upgraded but next time if the best around runs on Android or Windows then I will go for that.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:15 pm
by Partridge Iciclebubbles
Rubix78 wrote:Where's the poll?


Image

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:16 pm
by False
Moggy wrote:I don’t like carrying too much stuff around with me so the iPhone is almost perfect. I get all the phone related stuff plus it saves me having to carry around an MP3 player, camera, handheld gaming, a watch, a netbook, GPS, a calendar, etc etc. Ok I probably wouldn’t carry most of that around at any one time, but its useful to have it.

I am not too bothered by what runs my phone though as long as it works. The iPhone was the best around last time I upgraded but next time if the best around runs on Android or Windows then I will go for that.


You just described every smartphone.

Re: Windows Phone 7-Do you care?

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:21 pm
by Partridge Iciclebubbles
Falsey wrote:
Moggy wrote:I don’t like carrying too much stuff around with me so the iPhone is almost perfect. I get all the phone related stuff plus it saves me having to carry around an MP3 player, camera, handheld gaming, a watch, a netbook, GPS, a calendar, etc etc. Ok I probably wouldn’t carry most of that around at any one time, but its useful to have it.

I am not too bothered by what runs my phone though as long as it works. The iPhone was the best around last time I upgraded but next time if the best around runs on Android or Windows then I will go for that.


You just described every smartphone.


I was replying to Peter who only wanted a mobile for phone calls and texts.