Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by KK » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:36 am

How did Doom sell on Switch by comparison? It always seems to me a tough ask to try and shift a game that is £15 on 3 other systems but £40 (and a year old) on another.

Shame the decision can't be made concurrently with the other formats.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:38 am

The story of Colossus is great, probably better than New Order, but the map design is much, much worse. Multiple times I got completely lost in a level as the way forward was so badly marked. Also, they completely broke the stealth aspect.

The plot and set pieces are more than worth it though. It's a solid 8/10 game.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by Brerlappin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:02 am

My big complaint was there was kind of a bait and switch, in that you dont really get to fight Nazis in america as advertised. Like outside of the New Orleans level and maybe the New York level, everything else takes place in bunkers and compounds and gooseberry fool, and the Roswell level is just a walking simulator pretty much. The levels are very samey and not really well designed for an FPS. But the story is probably the best ive come across in an FPS in ages, and i had no problem with the gunplay (which is something other people complained about)

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 am

Brerlappin wrote:My big complaint was there was kind of a bait and switch, in that you dont really get to fight Nazis in america as advertised. Like outside of the New Orleans level and maybe the New York level, everything else takes place in bunkers and compounds and gooseberry fool, and the Roswell level is just a walking simulator pretty much. The levels are very samey and not really well designed for an FPS. But the story is probably the best ive come across in an FPS in ages, and i had no problem with the gunplay (which is something other people complained about)


This is very true as well. Not only are the maps poorly designed from a gameplay point of view, the majority of them are just...concrete or metal corridors.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by Hime » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Coming straight from The Old Blood I can see why you'd have an issue when the levels as they are immaculately designed in that, much better than TNO as well. I'm just finding it such fun to play, I can't understand why anyone would have an issue with the gunplay as everything just feels so weighty. I get that it can be quite hard at times but learning to deal with waves of enemies is sort of the point of these old school shooters, no? I'm also not really having an issue with the stealth, it's much more enjoyable than Dishonored 2 which I also recently played.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:35 pm

It wasn't the difficulty for me, it was the wandering around empty levels trying to find the next checkpoint. Happened at least thrice for me.

That and the cookie-cutter bunker design.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by Hime » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:It wasn't the difficulty for me, it was the wandering around empty levels trying to find the next checkpoint. Happened at least thrice for me.

That and the cookie-cutter bunker design.

I had that a fair amount in TNO as well to be honest. You're right though, it is annoying.

Image
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm

New Order all the way for me, still say that and Doom are the best FPS on this decade.

I enjoyed New Colossus but it just felt meh all the way through, there was no
end game boss, though the ending was satisfying.

You spend the first half of the game with half health making an already difficult game even more needlessly difficult but I think that was done to make the game feel longer to make up for the game being so short.
Very much like Deus Ex Mankind Divided it feels like the game was cut in half to make way for a threequel and the post game stuff was just filler.

But for all my moaning I still liked it as the story was top notch and mixed toilet humour with some generally touching moments, shooting was exhilarating and it had a great cast of characters. I'd give it a good 7 or 7.5, but I think the critic praise this one too much and overlooked New Order.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus – PC, PS4, NS, XB, - Switch release on 29/6
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:45 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:I enjoyed New Colossus but it just felt meh all the way through, there was no
end game boss, though the ending was satisfying.


You don't get to fight Frau Engle but there is definitely an endgame boss...

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dig Dug, Frank, Godzilla, Hound, NickSCFC, Pedz, Rich, SerialCeler, Ste, Trelliz and 65 guests