World Cup 2018

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by PES Fan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 pm

SMPL wrote:
DML wrote:
SMPL wrote:This was a great World Cup. Shame that the VAR decision shaped the final but it was a good one, it had it all really.

Have to say that I wasn't very impressed with France, they've got some outstanding players but I don't really rate them as a team but I guess that's largely down to the manager. If they played again next week there's a good 5 or 6 teams that would be in with a shout of beating them. And will never get over the fact that Giroud will forever have a WC winners medal.


I think in reality this France team would beat the last couple of champions very easily. Its just that all the 'smaller' teams have upped their game to such an extent that every game is tough now, and you gotta make it through and be much steelier.

France beat Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium and Croatia - its not like they had a soft team they could go out and humiliate.

Have to disagree, Germany 2014 and Spain 2010 were leagues ahead of this lot. Way more dominant.

At this WC almost all the sides have dropped ridiculously deep whenever they lose the ball, and have tried to pick teams off on the counter. It's pragmatic and obviously works for France with Mbappe, but this isn't a vintage WC winners side.

France are deserved champions but have had a fair bit of luck. Argentina were awful. Uruguay was a tight game and they benefitted from an injured Cavani and a goalkeeping howler. Belgium didn't have Meunier but were the better side, with France sitting back for most of the match. Croatia dominated the first half and were unfortunate for the first 2 goals with VAR and a soft free kick imo.
Denster wrote:
SMPL wrote:...



:lol:

Amazing.

?


The magical luck.

You could say that about all tournament winners.

Spain scored a offside goal in 2010 against Portugal, I believe. Paraguay had a goal that was wrongly disallowed.

Germany were very lucky against Algeria in 2014.

Italy got a dubious penalty against Australia in 2006. Then Zidane being silly in the final.

All tournament winners have some sort of luck. Even the great Barca teams had it when they won the champions league.

There’s a reason so few teams have won all 7 games at a World Cup. You do need luck and I include winning penalty shootouts apart of that as it is a lottery.

User avatar
SMPL
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by SMPL » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 pm

PES Fan wrote:
SMPL wrote:This was a great World Cup. Shame that the VAR decision shaped the final but it was a good one, it had it all really.

Have to say that I wasn't very impressed with France, they've got some outstanding players but I don't really rate them as a team but I guess that's largely down to the manager. If they played again next week there's a good 5 or 6 teams that would be in with a shout of beating them. And will never get over the fact that Giroud will forever have a WC winners medal.


Could you name these 5 or 6 good teams?

Not sure what you mean if they played next week. World Cup is over and they won. They scored 11 goals in total in the knockout games. Which is impressive considering the teams they faced.

They were deserved winners. They were good defensively and lethal on the break.

Of course, the cup is over and they won when it mattered and that's that. I'm just saying I don't rate them that highly above other international sides, even less so compared to other WC winning squads.

In a standalone match this France side could easily lose to any one of Croatia, Brazil, Spain, Belgium, Germany. Even the likes of Colombia, Mexico or England could match them on a good day.

PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by PES Fan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:26 pm

SMPL wrote:
PES Fan wrote:
SMPL wrote:This was a great World Cup. Shame that the VAR decision shaped the final but it was a good one, it had it all really.

Have to say that I wasn't very impressed with France, they've got some outstanding players but I don't really rate them as a team but I guess that's largely down to the manager. If they played again next week there's a good 5 or 6 teams that would be in with a shout of beating them. And will never get over the fact that Giroud will forever have a WC winners medal.


Could you name these 5 or 6 good teams?

Not sure what you mean if they played next week. World Cup is over and they won. They scored 11 goals in total in the knockout games. Which is impressive considering the teams they faced.

They were deserved winners. They were good defensively and lethal on the break.

Of course, the cup is over and they won when it mattered and that's that. I'm just saying I don't rate them that highly above other international sides, even less so compared to other WC winning squads.

In a standalone match this France side could easily lose to any one of Croatia, Brazil, Spain, Belgium, Germany. Even the likes of Colombia, Mexico or England could match them on a good day.



In a stand-alone match Man City could lose to any of the championship and league 1 teams. Oh wait they did in the FA Cup. Does that make them awful?

They beat whats in front of them comfortably. Belgium didn’t even do anything against them. Id be worried if I had De Bruyne and Hazard but make the excuse we lost or didn’t create much because our right back wasn’t playing.

It’s a young team and should be better in two years time. They got players like Dembele, Coman and Martial who are also going to improve by the next World Cup.

Germany and Spain were both awful when it mattered.

They just beat Croatia without really getting out of second gear and scored 4 goals in the process.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by DML » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:41 pm

If you want evidence how much football has improved in the last four years, look at where Spain and Germany with familiar squads ended up this time around. The games moved on, and where it is right now - France are the best at it. Four years is a long time in football!

Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Denster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:11 am

Luboluke wrote:
Denster wrote:Utter bollocks.


Gotten to


:lol:

Hime wrote:This is nonsense, Photek finally posts something factual and he gets burned. ;)
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Vermilion » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-eur ... ps-elysees

Looks like a great time was had by all.

User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by gamerforever » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 am

Vermilion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
gamerforever wrote:Sad its come to an end, but so happy that the nation finally had something to talk about at a world cup since 1992. It proves even more how the beckhams and gerrards of this world under performed or just didn’t have a good enough manager.

Roll on the euros and england better win it at wembley.


1990.


We didn't have John Barnes rapping this time either. :(


Oops 1990 obviously! I am looking forward to seeing england in the qualifying stages of euro 2020 - i am assuming they need to qualify?

I really don’t think france were that good and england could have beaten them had they got to the final.

I think the biggest issue is that the england team were knackered and quite a few players carried injuries like kane and alli from the very beginning.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Preezy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:44 am

gamerforever wrote:I really don’t think france were that good and england could have beaten them had they got to the final.

Image

Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by NickSCFC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am

England's performance against half decent teams this World Cup

P3 L3

We wouldn't beat this French team.

Image Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by DML » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 am

NickSCFC wrote:England's performance against half decent teams this World Cup

P3 L3

We wouldn't beat this French team.


Literally no-one before this World Cup would have dismissed Colombia, but when its England apparently everyone's a revisionist.

Image
User avatar
shadow202
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by shadow202 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 am

England done really well to get to the semi finals, pretty much everyone before the tournament had them written off in the first knockout round.

However the only teams they beat over 90 minutes was Panama, Tunisia (which went to the wire) and Sweden which was an impressive performance.

However they drew with Colombia which was a team out of sorts by missing their best player but they'll finally broke the penalty shootout hoodoo.

All in all a successful world cup but more in the middle of success, nowhere near as good or bad as people from both sides would have you believe

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by NickSCFC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 am

Had we gone the other route we'd have struggled to make it past Japan.

Image Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Tomous » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 am

England over-achieved through a combination of a favourable draw, an organised defence and turning up very well prepared. The set pieces in particular were excellent and ultimately England’s sole weapon.

However, had they got to the final, England would have had no chance against that French side. The players just wouldn’t have been good enough. The likes of Trippier, Maguire at the back really excelled but pretty much all the attacking players underperformed especially the likes of Sterling and Kane.

Overall a great tournament for England obviously but they’re a long way off where they need to be to win one especially as draws like that rarely come around. That French squad isn’t exactly old either, a lot of those players are going to be around for a long time.

User avatar
GrinWithoutaKat
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by GrinWithoutaKat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 am

I think it's amazing the fans and media have backed the English team so hard, it's just the over-achieving tag that's hard to accept. Nobody expected them to reach a semi-final before the tournament started, but the surprise there is how the draw panned out. I think before the tournament if you'd been asked would they beat the teams they have beaten, we'd all say yes? Colombia was not an easy game, but I think England were rightly made favourites for it, and it shouldn't be classed as over-achieving to beat them, or Sweden.

But then I think they've been unfairly slated over tournament exits for the last 20 years. I think Iceland in 2016 was the only time they've been knocked out in a game they were genuinely expected to win? Although ironically this Croatia game could be added to the list. Before that it was losing to Uruguay and Italy in 2014, Italy in 2012, Germany in 2010 all teams where England would have definitely been the underdog. You could even say the same against Portugal in 2006 and 2004, although it's a bit closer cut. The way people talk though, it's like the Iceland game was typical England, but it's really not.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Mafro » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:42 am

gamerforever wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
gamerforever wrote:Sad its come to an end, but so happy that the nation finally had something to talk about at a world cup since 1992. It proves even more how the beckhams and gerrards of this world under performed or just didn’t have a good enough manager.

Roll on the euros and england better win it at wembley.


1990.


We didn't have John Barnes rapping this time either. :(


Oops 1990 obviously! I am looking forward to seeing england in the qualifying stages of euro 2020 - i am assuming they need to qualify?

I really don’t think france were that good and england could have beaten them had they got to the final.

I think the biggest issue is that the england team were knackered and quite a few players carried injuries like kane and alli from the very beginning.

Croatia went all the way to penalties twice and extra time once in their three knockout games and reached the final. England being knackered isn't an excuse. France would have smashed them.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Preezy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am

I think more than anything, England just didn't look all that threatening in open-play.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Tomous » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:55 am

Preezy wrote:I think more than anything, England just didn't look all that threatening in open-play.


Only Iran had less shots on target per 90 minutes than England from open play.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Preezy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:55 am

Tomous wrote:
Preezy wrote:I think more than anything, England just didn't look all that threatening in open-play.


Only Iran had less shots on target per 90 minutes than England from open play.

Image

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Moggy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am

Without looking it up, how many teams could people name that England beat in 1966? Who did Germany beat in 1990? Who did Argentina beat in 1986?

It doesn’t really matter if you beat “strong” teams, it’s results that count. England fell short of winning, but reaching the semi-final is a massive success. And it’s not England’s fault if Germany, Italy and the Netherlands were not good enough to take the place of Columbia and Sweden.

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - FRA-CRO
by Vermilion » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Preezy wrote:
gamerforever wrote:I really don’t think france were that good and england could have beaten them had they got to the final.

Image


No more drugs for that man.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, Brerlappin, Denster, Dowbocop, Errkal, Finish.Last, Hime, Meep, Photek, Preezy, PsychicSykes, PuppetBoy, Qikz, Squinty, Tineash, wensleydale and 53 guests