Worst Ever Game Launch

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Rex Kramer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:That's the gold standard right there I think.

Daikatana is the old classic alongside Rise of the Robots.

Has to be Daikatana, a quick look at Romero's output before and after shows just what it did.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:25 am

Photek wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Godzilla wrote:Street Fighter 5 - so lacking in every way

Halo Master Chief - seem to remember this was exceptionally buggy at launch

How could I forget this? A strawberry floating mess for months and months but Photek somehow had a magic copy that worked perfectly.

Ah yes, MCC launched with a ton of problems but after several patches they just barely got mp working and not perfectly by any means, constantly separating fireteams after matches.

The ridiculous thing was people in this forum making out that I was lying about playing mp games and white knighting it despite posting literally hours of footage of me playing mp and I streamed most of it providing links. I realised far too late though, that despite having evidence to the contrary (which is online), I was still somehow lying because grcade’s gonna grcade but that’s on me, I was way too naive and reactive and I’ve tried to change as a result.


Yep, you are definitely not reacting anymore.... ;)

User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Winckle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 am

Everyone is so mean to Xbox. :cry:

User avatar
Harry Ellis
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Harry Ellis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:16 am

I'm going to go with the midnight launch of GTA: San Andreas, purely because it led to hundreds of weedy teenagers walking around town wearing their free bandanas that came with the game.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:10 am

Drumstick wrote:I'm going to go with the midnight launch of GTA: San Andreas, purely because it led to hundreds of weedy teenagers walking around town wearing their free bandanas that came with the game.


Why were you wandering around town at midnight looking at teenagers?

User avatar
Harry Ellis
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Harry Ellis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:18 am

Moggy wrote:
Drumstick wrote:I'm going to go with the midnight launch of GTA: San Andreas, purely because it led to hundreds of weedy teenagers walking around town wearing their free bandanas that came with the game.

Why were you wandering around town at midnight looking at teenagers?

I think you misunderstand - I was one of them (sans bandana).

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 am

Drumstick wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Drumstick wrote:I'm going to go with the midnight launch of GTA: San Andreas, purely because it led to hundreds of weedy teenagers walking around town wearing their free bandanas that came with the game.

Why were you wandering around town at midnight looking at teenagers?

I think you misunderstand - I was one of them (sans bandana).


A likely story. :dread:

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Mafro » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 am

Still got my bandana 8-)

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
The Cuttcracker Suite
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by The Cuttcracker Suite » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Mafro wrote:Still got my bandana 8-)

Do you still have those CoD night vision goggles? :lol:

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Tomous » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:41 pm

How about console launches? Microsoft completely butchered the Xbox One launch and basically “lost” the generation to Sony before it even began.

And then there’s the early Sega Saturn launch which started Sega’s downfall as a console manufacturer.

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Vermi-Claus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Tomous wrote:And then there’s the early Sega Saturn launch which started Sega’s downfall as a console manufacturer.


One memorable issue which surrounded the Saturn launch was that only a scart lead was included with the console, problem was, most TV's at the time did not have scart sockets (only the newest ones did), and so supplies of regular AV cables dried up quicker than a fish in the desert.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Mafro » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Mafro wrote:Still got my bandana 8-)

Do you still have those CoD night vision goggles? :lol:

Still got them on display on the shelf 8-)

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by lex-man » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Tomous wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:I think it has to go to E.T., not just for being a massive commercial failure and being critically panned, but for also taking the whole US gaming industry with it


A launch so bad, 700,000 copies of the game had to be buried in a landfill in New Mexico.


Didn't they also make more cartridges than there were Atari's at the time.

User avatar
Yulehide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by Yulehide » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Tomous wrote:And then there’s the early Sega Saturn launch which started Sega’s downfall as a console manufacturer.


The Mega CD and 32X probably didn't help much either.

The 32X was an utter disaster, the hardware was awful, was an absolute nightmare to set up and the launch games were mostly rubbish.

Image
User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Worst Ever Game Launch
by satriales » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Captain Kinopio wrote:Driveclub is what comes to mind immediately. So bad Sony offloaded the studio, even the fact it turned into the best arcade racer ever made couldn't save them.

They had the worst luck. Their previous game Motorstorm Apocalypse suffered last minute delays due to the Fukushima disaster in Japan. After that it had a very low-key release and probably lost a lot of sales.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: As Fat as Santa, Garth of Christmas Future, Hans Bubby, Hound, OldSoulCyborg, The Cuttcracker Suite and 46 guests