Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostWould you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Let's just assume the next gen of machines can play all games made for this gen. Would you pay for a patch to make them utilise the power of next gen platforms (I'm thinking all 3 here) and if so how much or do you think we could even see PS Pro and One X style patches for free?

I'm playing Assassins Creed Origins at the moment and it looks lovely and I can see myself wanting to play this again with all the extra graphical bells and whistles next gen should provide and I think I'd not be that angry at paying £5.

So, will this happen and how much should they charge or should it be free?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Gemini73 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 pm

I'm all for current games working on new platforms, however I'm not fussed if they receive a make over or in how they perform through new hardware. It's a nice bonus if improvements are incorporated, but no I wouldn't pay for a next-gen patch. I've not bought any remasters of games I already own, I'm happy with how the originals perform.

As for the idea becoming a reality? Gamers are happy to buy remasters, so I don't see why a paid for next-gen patch wouldn't become an option for gamers.

User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by BID0 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:29 pm

No because I already paid for the game once.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Dual » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 pm

No?

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Death's Head » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 am

No. Should be free.

Yes?
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by <]:^D » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 am

how would a patch improve anything? if youre talking of geometry and textures theyd have to put them in the game, then downgrade them to meet current hardware, just so they could magically improve them with the next console.
if we're talking frame rate improvements then that should be free

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Peter Crisp » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 am

<]:^D wrote:how would a patch improve anything? if youre talking of geometry and textures theyd have to put them in the game, then downgrade them to meet current hardware, just so they could magically improve them with the next console.
if we're talking frame rate improvements then that should be free


I imagine something similar to what's happening with OX.
The games will have as many of the benefits of the maxed out PC version as they can with the hardware.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Jenuall » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:37 am

Everything is pretty much built on scalable engine platforms now so we should in theory get a lot of benefit for free, or at the minimal cost of the dev tweaking the graphical presets and going "yep that looks better and still works".

PC's have worked like this since basically forever, one of my personal joys on either upgrading our replacing a PC is reinstalling games that used to cripple my machine and seeing then run brilliantly with everything turned up to the max. As consoles are basically just PC's now they should get the same benefit.

ImageImage
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Hime » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 am

It depends on how much work is involved, presumably modern games are built like PC games and can be scaled to the hardware they're running on.

I would imagine that performance increase will be used as a reason to upgrade so there won't be a cost for patching games.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Moggy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 am

I barely ever pay for games anymore so there’s no way I’ll be paying for next gen patches.

User avatar
_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by _/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Let's just assume the next gen of machines can play all games made for this gen. Would you pay for a patch to make them utilise the power of next gen platforms (I'm thinking all 3 here) and if so how much or do you think we could even see PS Pro and One X style patches for free?

I'm playing Assassins Creed Origins at the moment and it looks lovely and I can see myself wanting to play this again with all the extra graphical bells and whistles next gen should provide and I think I'd not be that angry at paying £5.

So, will this happen and how much should they charge or should it be free?

i think with how an increasing amount of games are scalable on Xbox now that they will just automatically work better on next-gen without patches and i'm sure Sony will be doing likewise going forward.

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Photek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 am

Gemini73 wrote:As for the idea becoming a reality? Gamers are happy to buy remasters, so I don't see why a paid for next-gen patch wouldn't become an option for gamers.

It kinda is a reality with Back Compat on Xbox, every game on the program now runs better and loads faster on Xbox One over its originals and then there's the OG Xbox upscaled and several 360 games upscaled all for free. They have an entire team dedicated to making last gen and 2 generations behind work and run better for current hardware, I can see it happening on the Next xbox but mostly for MS published games.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Green Gecko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 am

I wouldn't pay much if anything for it. Resolution updates should be free to encourage sales of reissued disks and digital downloads. And yeah I've enjoyed this on PC since forever.

Ps pro and xbx should mean games are initially created at higher fidelity for future realises, but 1080p60 should be the target for al versions minimum .

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by NickSCFC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 am

Meh, I wouldn't really want these games to be bastardised.

They'd most likely result to running in PS4 Pro/Xbox One X mode when played on a PS5/Xbox Two.

Image Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Photek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am

Green Gecko wrote:I wouldn't pay much if anything for it. Resolution updates should be free to encourage sales of reissued disks and digital downloads. And yeah I've enjoyed this on PC since forever.

It’s a little different because past generational games at least from this gen need emulation, going forward though I expect future consoles to handle this better on the hardware side rather than software.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Green Gecko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 am

And some updates have ruined aesthetics in the past. Different teams, different tastes. Look at any side scrolling shooter or platformer "remaster".

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Photek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 am

Green Gecko wrote:And some updates have ruined aesthetics in the past. Different teams, different tastes. Look at any side scrolling shooter or platformer "remaster".

Updates or remasters? They are different, very different in fact.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Green Gecko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 am

Photek wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:I wouldn't pay much if anything for it. Resolution updates should be free to encourage sales of reissued disks and digital downloads. And yeah I've enjoyed this on PC since forever.

It’s a little different because past generational games at least from this gen need emulation, going forward though I expect future consoles to handle this better on the hardware side rather than software.

You're correct although that's assuming hardware design doesn't change. We're closer to unification than ever since AMD te ATI.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Green Gecko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 am

Photek wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:And some updates have ruined aesthetics in the past. Different teams, different tastes. Look at any side scrolling shooter or platformer "remaster".

Updates or remasters? They are different, very different in fact.

I mean an update as in "updated visuals", a newer iteration, which a remaster also is. Contemporary aesthetics and changes in attitudes towards what looks good, particularly for example changes in lighting engines that eradicate prebaked effects or aren't recreated the same can spoil the look of a previous game.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Would you pay for a next gen patch for current games?
by Photek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 am

Green Gecko wrote:
Photek wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:I wouldn't pay much if anything for it. Resolution updates should be free to encourage sales of reissued disks and digital downloads. And yeah I've enjoyed this on PC since forever.

It’s a little different because past generational games at least from this gen need emulation, going forward though I expect future consoles to handle this better on the hardware side rather than software.

You're correct although that's assuming hardware design doesn't change. We're closer to unification than ever since AMD te ATI.

If hardware design does change I expect Xbox to keep emulating things. Lost Odyssey got an update last week cos the emulator was updated which in turn updates certain games it impacts. It's an interesting system, basically with each new game that joins the BC program they update the emulator and games that will benefit elsewhere are Identified and updated also. The difference in Halo Reach to how it is now is ridiculous.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobbyDigital, kerr9000, Pedz, Peter Crisp, Photek, Wrathy and 38 guests