Your Favourite Sporting Venues?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostYour Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Scotticus Erroticus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 am

Hampden? Wembley? Millenium Stadium? Croke Park? St Andrews? Wimbledon? Old Trafford? The Crucible? Olympic Stadium?

It's difficult for me not to pick Celtic Park, as the atmosphere I've experienced there on Champions League and Old Firm matches have been mind blowing. However, I'm going to go for the quaint, cute, Victorian charm of Luton Town's Kenilworth Road stadium. It is a throwback to the start of football and working class history, with bizarre shaped stands, terraces that have had seats thrown in and chimney tops from all angles! It has a great atmosphere too because the small nature of the stands bring the fans real close. Then, in a complete contrast to the rest of the stadium, one side of the pitch is dominated by a row of 26 soulless executive boxes. What's special about something so boring? My brother was the manager of that entire stand, so I spent every other Saturday in there enjoying the hospitality and awful football.

What is yours and why? Pics please.

Last edited by Scotticus Erroticus on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
User avatar
PsychicSykes
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Sykes Stadium

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by PsychicSykes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:31 am

Two pages of "Where the team I support plays."

User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by kommissarboris » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 am

Seaview :shifty:

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: N.Ireland
Contact:

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by tomvek » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:42 am

The Showgrounds 8-)

Image Image
User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by Scotticus Erroticus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 am

Oh oh, Royal Troon Golf Course. The smallest and longest golf holes in the same course! Such character. Every time the Open comes to town you literally cannot move.

ImageImage
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by Dowbocop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am

Arsenal Stadium - the first time I went to see the Arsenal my dad, my sister and I were climbing up from the concourse onto the terrace of the North Bank, and I saw the seemingly never-ending Clock End rise majestically at the top of the staircase, before the lush greenery slid into view. I got this massive tightness in my chest because I was so excited that I was actually there. It was magnificent.

It's partially down to the memories I had there. I didn't get to go and see loads of games when I was young, but I got to see some great moments - Dennis Bergkamp's first two goals and the last-minute comeback against Shakhtar are my favourites football wise. But it also had personal memories. When my mum died my form tutor arranged for me to tag along to the London Schools final that our Year 9s were playing in. It was in the JVC Centre before a league game (a sports hall built into the back of the Clock End), and we got a sort of semi-backstage pass experience - we were just milling around in the car park after our game, and we got to meet some players who were just getting out of their cars :lol: . The experience was a really bright spot in a pretty horrible time for me.
Image

Then there's the building itself - truly iconic. I'd have loved to have been there in the old days before they redid the North Bank and Clock End, it looked so different from how it was in the 90s with the Jumbotrons. I love monolithic modern stadia, but when I went to see a match at Anfield recently I realised how much we'll miss really old grounds when they're gone.

I didn't think when we moved to the Grove that I'd miss our old ground that much, but I really, really do sometimes :cry:

User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by Scotticus Erroticus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:16 am

Dowbocop wrote:Arsenal Stadium - the first time I went to see the Arsenal my dad, my sister and I were climbing up from the concourse onto the terrace of the North Bank, and I saw the seemingly never-ending Clock End rise majestically at the top of the staircase, before the lush greenery slid into view. I got this massive tightness in my chest because I was so excited that I was actually there. It was magnificent.

It's partially down to the memories I had there. I didn't get to go and see loads of games when I was young, but I got to see some great moments - Dennis Bergkamp's first two goals and the last-minute comeback against Shakhtar are my favourites football wise. But it also had personal memories. When my mum died my form tutor arranged for me to tag along to the London Schools final that our Year 9s were playing in. It was in the JVC Centre before a league game (a sports hall built into the back of the Clock End), and we got a sort of semi-backstage pass experience - we were just milling around in the car park after our game, and we got to meet some players who were just getting out of their cars :lol: . The experience was a really bright spot in a pretty horrible time for me.
Image

Then there's the building itself - truly iconic. I'd have loved to have been there in the old days before they redid the North Bank and Clock End, it looked so different from how it was in the 90s with the Jumbotrons. I love monolithic modern stadia, but when I went to see a match at Anfield recently I realised how much we'll miss really old grounds when they're gone.

I didn't think when we moved to the Grove that I'd miss our old ground that much, but I really, really do sometimes :cry:


It was really impressive how they changed the stands into housing. You can see what the architect had in mind still, even when it's been completely changed, which is very impressive. I went there when I was young too, it had a lot personality.

ImageImage
User avatar
PaperMacheMario
Member
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by PaperMacheMario » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:10 am

Aside from any obvious choices, I'd go with the Stade Louis II in Monaco. I don't know why, I just love that stadium. Brilliant little place.

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Rax » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:53 am

Wembley is the most impressive venue Ive ever seen, just edges it over Croke Park and Millennium Stadium for scale, if I was recommending one stadium to see regardless of the sport on show it would be there.

Gillette Stadium is by far the loudest place Ive been, and thats meant to be one of the quieter NFL stadiums so Id love to see what a loud one is like. I also have awesome memories of the place, tailgating, Tom Brady vs Ray Lewis, overtime and a win for the Pats, it was such a great day.

But for atmosphere and experience it has to be Thomond, nothing can compete during a Heineken Cup match, crowd in full voice one minute then total silence when a kick is lined up then the roar as it goes over, Stand up and Fight before the game, Fields of Athenry during. :wub:

Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Glowy69 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 am

Villa park natch :wub:

And

















Anfield :shifty:


Such a great stadium :wub:

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by Glowy69 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 am

PsychicSykes wrote:Two pages of "Where the team I support plays."


You're a grumpy strawberry floater Sykes.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Fatal Exception » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 am

They're all gooseberry fool.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
Mommy
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Mommy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 am

Maine Road :simper: The Kippax :wub: :wub: :wub:

Villa Park (Holt end is pretty huge to be fair)

Etihad.

I have officially retired from international football.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by NickSCFC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 am

glowy69 wrote:Villa park natch :wub:

And

Anfield :shifty:

Such a great stadium :wub:


Both in desperate need of demolishing.

Image Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by NickSCFC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 am

Stade Louis II (Monaco)

Image



Olympiastadion (Berlin)

Image



Nou Mastella (Valencia)

Image



Rungnado May Day Stadium (Pyongyang)

Image

Image Image
PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by PES Fan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am

Going to ignore football grounds.

Been to Silverstone and Wimbledon, which were both enjoyable. Thinking of going to the French Open this year. Also been to Lords, which was ok. But not much of a cricket follower.

Negatron
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Negatron » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am

The MCG is incredible, as is Lords.

User avatar
Zartan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venue?
by Zartan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 am

The Emirates without doubt is the most impressive football stadium I have been to, it is amazing, anyone who has not been should go. It puts Wembley to shame, shows how dated Camp Nou is, and I don't particularly like Arsenal either.

Outside of football I would have to say Ascot, after being to quite a few race tracks and then going to Ascot, it really is impressive, the grandstand is stunning

Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Glowy69 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am

NickSCFC wrote:
glowy69 wrote:Villa park natch :wub:

And

Anfield :shifty:

Such a great stadium :wub:


Both in desperate need of demolishing.


No.

It's part of footballing history.

And mommy :wub: it's gonna be packed this weekend :mrgreen:

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Your Favourite Sporting Venues?
by Johnny Ryall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 am

As a wrestling mark I would say MSG. :shifty:


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heskimo, Rightey, Snowcannon and 51 guests