YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by OrangeRKN » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:38 pm

mic wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
mic wrote:Virtual kidnapping and murder within the confines of a story is one thing, but void of any storyline such actions are reprehensible, even in a game.


What? So if I load up GTA and got on a random killing spree, you think I am acting reprehensibly?

I should upload some clips from my kill everyone run at Skyrim, you'll think I'm an absolutely terrible person


Did you use the killable children mod? Do you see a problem with that mod, or understand why the developers might have wanted to prevent players from doing that?

Yes, it is acting reprehensibly... but that doesn’t make you a terrible person, since it’s just a game.


No because I play on console :P

I don't see a problem with the mod, and I also understand why the developers didn't allow children to be killed in the game (to avoid controversy and because it would be viewed by many as in bad taste).

I don't understand at all why you think it is acting reprehensibly. There is no harm done to anyone, so what about it would you reprehend? Why shouldn't it be possible?

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Meep » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:44 pm

IMO I think youtube has a responsibility to not allow people to use their platform for hate speech. If someone is posting videos of characters murdering and torturing other characters based on gender/race and then laughing (them IRL) about it then that sound like hate speech to me.

To clarify, I don't think there is anything wrong with Rock Star making a game were all the characters can be killed. That's an artistic choice to create a realistic environmnent. If someone uses that game as a tool to play out their twisted fantasies and then publically posts that then that's on them, not Rock Star.

Last edited by Meep on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Moggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Pedz wrote:With under age sex stuff. How do Hollywood movies and things have actresses under 18 get naked or show tiddies and it's fine. I can't think of any recent examples. I know there have been in the past. I know this is completely off topic, so I can understand if I don't get a reply.


From memory, I think The Sun had Samantha Fox on page 3 when she was 15.

The past is a weird place, all sorts of things were permitted back then or at least had a blind eye turned to them.

I am not sure how legal or illegal it actually is to show nudity with under 18s though. I guess it differs between each country and in the case of the US will differ amongst each state.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Preezy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Moggy wrote:From memory, I think The Sun had Samantha Fox on page 3 when she was 15.

"From memory" :lol:

;)

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Moggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:From memory, I think The Sun had Samantha Fox on page 3 when she was 15.

"From memory" :lol:

;)


She's 14 years older than me, I am not sure your accusation makes much sense. ;)

User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by mic » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 pm

https://theconversation.com/amp/when-a- ... jail-33418

This is an interesting read. Much as it pisses me off to admit, I think Moggy is basically right - you COULD face prosecution, but the images would need to be indistinguishably realistic. Objection withdrawn, y’Honor.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Pedz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Moggy wrote:
Pedz wrote:With under age sex stuff. How do Hollywood movies and things have actresses under 18 get naked or show tiddies and it's fine. I can't think of any recent examples. I know there have been in the past. I know this is completely off topic, so I can understand if I don't get a reply.


From memory, I think The Sun had Samantha Fox on page 3 when she was 15.

The past is a weird place, all sorts of things were permitted back then or at least had a blind eye turned to them.

I am not sure how legal or illegal it actually is to show nudity with under 18s though. I guess it differs between each country and in the case of the US will differ amongst each state.


I think Mila jochivich (ok, I have no idea how to speel her last name) and Keira Knightly (or hers) both got at least their boobs out at 15, Mila I think was younger at 13. I think it was some beach sex scene with Leo from Charmed and Keira it was Descent(?) Where she was underground with 2 guys and a girl and flashes her boobies at some dude. There has been many more. I don't want to do a Google search on that though, cause, strawberry float that.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Preezy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:From memory, I think The Sun had Samantha Fox on page 3 when she was 15.

"From memory" :lol:

;)


She's 14 years older than me, I am not sure your accusation makes much sense. ;)

My accusation is that you blatantly googled her just now to confirm your point, and enjoyed doing so :P

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Moggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Moggy wrote:From memory, I think The Sun had Samantha Fox on page 3 when she was 15.

"From memory" :lol:

;)


She's 14 years older than me, I am not sure your accusation makes much sense. ;)

My accusation is that you blatantly googled her just now to confirm your point, and enjoyed doing so :P


I remembered hearing that she did page 3 when she was 15.

After your accusations I did google to check exactly how much older than me she is.

Just stay away from my hard ( :datass: ) drive.

User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Venom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Linsey Dawn McKenzie

As McKenzie approached her 16th birthday, the Sunday Sport tabloid newspaper expressed an interest in turning her topless debut into a media event. Throughout June and July 1994, it published pictures of McKenzie counting down the days until it could legally show her topless.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linsey_Dawn_McKenzie


I don't think that would fly nowadays! She was a bit of WAG before WAGs existed and was on some celeb programmes, she dated two of EastEnders finest actors. I met her once at the club I was managing.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Rightey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:19 am

Knoyleo wrote:Are you even reading the rest of the thread? People aren't bothered about the violence in the game, or concerned that's it's going to encourage violent behaviour, except for mic, for some reason. People are criticising the guy who's used game footage to create a video that's basically targeted harassment.


The thing is it's not really targeted harassment because the game character is just a general NPC with a specific characteristic, in this case being a feminist, if they specifically looked like someone then I would agree with you but that isn't the case.

Just to clarify, I can totally agree with the sentiment this dude is some sad angry little bastard, but I wouldn't classify this as hate speech, at least not going by the laws we have here, which are that it's something that tried to incite violence.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Frank » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 am

Six pages of conversation and the topic title still says "Read Dead" :shifty:

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by OrangeRKN » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 am

I guess no one red the title properly

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Trelliz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 am

I wonder how this controversy is being seen on Readdit.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Venom » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 am

Frank wrote:Six pages of conversation and the topic title still says "Read Dead" :shifty:


It was an intentional play on words: You Read articles about the Dead (banned) video from Red Dead Redemption 2.
I should've known not everybody would get it.






;)

Last edited by Venom on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Knoyleo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:27 am

Rightey wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:Are you even reading the rest of the thread? People aren't bothered about the violence in the game, or concerned that's it's going to encourage violent behaviour, except for mic, for some reason. People are criticising the guy who's used game footage to create a video that's basically targeted harassment.


The thing is it's not really targeted harassment because the game character is just a general NPC with a specific characteristic, in this case being a feminist, if they specifically looked like someone then I would agree with you but that isn't the case.

Just to clarify, I can totally agree with the sentiment this dude is some sad angry little bastard, but I wouldn't classify this as hate speech, at least not going by the laws we have here, which are that it's something that tried to incite violence.

BRB, starting a YouTube channel full of videos of me murdering Trevor from GTAV and calling it "101 ways to murder idiot Canadians".

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Moggy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Knoyleo wrote:
Rightey wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:Are you even reading the rest of the thread? People aren't bothered about the violence in the game, or concerned that's it's going to encourage violent behaviour, except for mic, for some reason. People are criticising the guy who's used game footage to create a video that's basically targeted harassment.


The thing is it's not really targeted harassment because the game character is just a general NPC with a specific characteristic, in this case being a feminist, if they specifically looked like someone then I would agree with you but that isn't the case.

Just to clarify, I can totally agree with the sentiment this dude is some sad angry little bastard, but I wouldn't classify this as hate speech, at least not going by the laws we have here, which are that it's something that tried to incite violence.

BRB, starting a YouTube channel full of videos of me murdering Trevor from GTAV and calling it "101 ways to murder idiot Canadians".


Reprehensible.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Rightey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Lol go ahead, no one would care.

Just out of curiostiy, what are peoples opinions on this compared to the adoring fan in Oblivion? It's the only other case I can remember of people making loads of videos that show a specific character being killed. I know that just by the fact that you can kill him, the adoring fan isn't a child, but he is a Bosmer, the smallest race in Oblivion, and looks to be pretty young, and there are hundreds of videos, showing him being killed in basically every way imaginable...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... opensearch

But I don't think anyone would argue that it's targeted harassment towards obsessive teenagers or something like that.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Minty14
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Minty14 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Can we stop pretending that this strawberry float nugget doesn't have a specific agenda/ideology which he is using the popularity of this game to push.

Image

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: YouTube shut down channel because of Read Dead video that shows murder of feminist
by Skarjo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 am

Minty14 wrote:Can we stop pretending that this strawberry float nugget doesn't have a specific agenda/ideology which he is using the popularity of this game to push.


I mean in fairness I don't think anyone is pretending that.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Met and 58 guests