Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player? SOLVED

Our best bits.
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:36 pm

rinks wrote:Would you like to buy my MiniDisc player? It sounds amazing.

Well I heard Sony minidisc players sound better than ipods. Thanks for the offer but I'd prefer this new sony walkman

heres a review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-son ... ini-review

the reviewer goes on to say the best thing is the sound quality which he/she says is better than the ipad2 etc LOL this guy even has an external amp??
User avatar
Oh Teh Noes
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mina Murray
Location: HMS Camden Lock

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by Oh Teh Noes » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:39 pm

You seem to hear a lot of things.
Dr Cottle wrote:My favourite flavour of popsicle is DICK.

Image
St Nick is my bike thieving buddy brother :wub:
User avatar
JV
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Maurice Merleau-Ponty

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by JV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:05 am

I would look at getting a good set of headphones, or using high bit rate MP3s, rather than using an entirely new player.
User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: Is it worth buying an LP player?
by 1cmanny1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 am

JV wrote:No. Stop spending money unnecessarily.


Why not? Spending is good. As soon as they stop taxing interest I will save.
Image
User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by abcd » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 am

Buy more £200 wallets.
Image
chanticleer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by chanticleer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:53 am

JV wrote:I would look at getting a good set of headphones, or using high bit rate MP3s, rather than using an entirely new player.


Precisely this.

If you're spending upwards of £100+ on an MP3 player of any variety, they're all going to be much the same. It doesn't matter what minor differences there are in the hardware, because ultimately they're just going to be taking sound files, interpreting them into soundwaves, and pushing them through transistors into headphones. If there is any difference in sound quality at all, only a very very well trained audiophile is likely to notice.

If you want better sound quality on the move, make sure your tracks are saved at 256kbps at a minimum, and invest a lot of time trying out different headphones. Crucially, DON'T trust any headphone reviews online: go into a shop with your MP3 player and try out as many as you can until you've found a pair that you think are fantastic. Your ears are different to everyone elses, so what one person considers to be top of the range might be uncomfortable on your ears or uncomfortable to your eardrums.


Perhaps more importantly: ask yourself why you feel a constant need to piss your money into the wind. It suggests that you're not happy, that the only thing you get enjoyment from is the acquisition of goods. That's not healthy. You've got an excellent MP3 player, but you want a new one because you're bored of it. Does that not suggest that there's something deeper going on that you need to address?
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:47 am

chanticleer wrote:
JV wrote:I would look at getting a good set of headphones, or using high bit rate MP3s, rather than using an entirely new player.


Precisely this.

If you're spending upwards of £100+ on an MP3 player of any variety, they're all going to be much the same. It doesn't matter what minor differences there are in the hardware, because ultimately they're just going to be taking sound files, interpreting them into soundwaves, and pushing them through transistors into headphones. If there is any difference in sound quality at all, only a very very well trained audiophile is likely to notice.

If you want better sound quality on the move, make sure your tracks are saved at 256kbps at a minimum, and invest a lot of time trying out different headphones. Crucially, DON'T trust any headphone reviews online: go into a shop with your MP3 player and try out as many as you can until you've found a pair that you think are fantastic. Your ears are different to everyone elses, so what one person considers to be top of the range might be uncomfortable on your ears or uncomfortable to your eardrums.


Perhaps more importantly: ask yourself why you feel a constant need to piss your money into the wind. It suggests that you're not happy, that the only thing you get enjoyment from is the acquisition of goods. That's not healthy. You've got an excellent MP3 player, but you want a new one because you're bored of it. Does that not suggest that there's something deeper going on that you need to address?


Thanks. I dunno I just did some research and found out Sony are great for their mp3 players because of their sound signature, maybe I will go try it out instore first because spending my money.

Anyhoo at the moment I use my iphone for my music instead of my ipod classic which I have had for a couple of years now (since launch when they made the aluminium one) so I feel I deserve a new mp3 player instead of using my phone which drains the battery. I hope I don't sound like I am ignoring your advice.

I have encoded my files as 256 or similar and have Bose AE2 headphones and AEGO 2.1 speakers for home use and Sennheisser IE7 (£112) when out and about so I guess I am already getting great sound.

Something deeper going on? It could be that I am still job hunting for a good job whilst working in a supermarket which I am not getting much out off.

thanks
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I got one :o
So glad I did now. It sounds better than my iphone 4 and my ipod classic. The touch screen seems even more responsive than the iphone 4 as its easier to select a certain part of a song to listen to.
Its got funky features too like karaoke mode.
Plus the supplied headphones retail at around £40 so i can just sell them on ebay.

Image
User avatar
Proposer
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dual

PostIs it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by Proposer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Buyers remorse
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Shane MacGowan wrote:Buyers remorse

no I am not getting any of it with this purchase. It was a good deal on amazon plus I can sell the earphones for about £25 making it even cheaper.
User avatar
Stugene
Member ♥
Joined in 2011
AKA: Handsome Man Stugene
Location: handsomemantown
Contact:

PostRe: Is it worth buying an LP player?
by Stugene » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:24 am

Sorry, but you are a strawberry floating gullible idiot.

I know you're a strawberry floating troll, but I'm gonna post anyway.
Here's uncle Stugene to break this down for you.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Also I have been thinking about getting a Sony walkman for some time since the sound is evidently better on their MP3 players compared to ipods.

    MP3 players
    Sounding better than one another
    Through what?
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote: They even have built in amplifiers and this new one has noise cancelling built it.

Oh wow this is one of the greatest trolls I have ever read.
Built in amplifiers as a sales pitch. Let me ask you something. How did you think these signals were pushed down that wire into your ear? Oh right, they were amplified weren't they? Built in amplifier =/= good sound quality.
Noise cancelling built in. Sorry what?
Noise cancelling requires a microphone. That microphone is gonna be in your pocket. Wow your pockets are going to sound amazing you gullible arse.
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote: £250 for the 32GB version

Sweet, merciful jesus you are dumb.

Here I go!

Take that gooseberry fool back.
MP3 codec by design limits dynamic range and is compressed. Music in mp3 format is never going to sound the same as on CD or on the masters.
You're a gullible arse, so I recommend carrying around a lead acid battery to power the following:
a £1200 turntable
a £5000 valve amplifier
a pair (oh wow this is trolling, son) of Adam AX7s
monster cables for all.

Seriously why not listen to the people here who know what they are talking about.

Rip your music from the CD at 320kbps, stereo, 44.1khz ("OH BUT STUGENE! STUGENE! IF I UP THE SAMPLE RATE TO 48KHZ I CAN HEAR MORE!" Nope, CDs are all produced in 44.1Khz.), don't filter below 10hz, normal stereo.
Use a decent set of headphones.
Don't buy into gimmicks.
iPods are decent MP3 players.

Vinyl only sounds better when the equipment used to play it back is good. CDs can sound amazing too, for less money usually. Your strawberry floating Kylie albums wont sound any better regardless.
Image
Taint
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Is it worth buying an LP player?
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:57 am

Stugene wrote:Sorry, but you are a strawberry floating gullible idiot.

I know you're a strawberry floating troll, but I'm gonna post anyway.
Here's uncle Stugene to break this down for you.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Also I have been thinking about getting a Sony walkman for some time since the sound is evidently better on their MP3 players compared to ipods.

    MP3 players
    Sounding better than one another
    Through what?
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote: They even have built in amplifiers and this new one has noise cancelling built it.

Oh wow this is one of the greatest trolls I have ever read.
Built in amplifiers as a sales pitch. Let me ask you something. How did you think these signals were pushed down that wire into your ear? Oh right, they were amplified weren't they? Built in amplifier =/= good sound quality.
Noise cancelling built in. Sorry what?
Noise cancelling requires a microphone. That microphone is gonna be in your pocket. Wow your pockets are going to sound amazing you gullible arse.
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote: £250 for the 32GB version

Sweet, merciful jesus you are dumb.

Here I go!

Take that gooseberry fool back.
MP3 codec by design limits dynamic range and is compressed. Music in mp3 format is never going to sound the same as on CD or on the masters.
You're a gullible arse, so I recommend carrying around a lead acid battery to power the following:
a £1200 turntable
a £5000 valve amplifier
a pair (oh wow this is trolling, son) of Adam AX7s
monster cables for all.

Seriously why not listen to the people here who know what they are talking about.

Rip your music from the CD at 320kbps, stereo, 44.1khz ("OH BUT STUGENE! STUGENE! IF I UP THE SAMPLE RATE TO 48KHZ I CAN HEAR MORE!" Nope, CDs are all produced in 44.1Khz.), don't filter below 10hz, normal stereo.
Use a decent set of headphones.
Don't buy into gimmicks.
iPods are decent MP3 players.

Vinyl only sounds better when the equipment used to play it back is good. CDs can sound amazing too, for less money usually. Your strawberry floating Kylie albums wont sound any better regardless.

Btw I didn't buy the new Z series as its not out in the UK. But £250 for a 32GB android multi media player is a fair price. Its basically Sony's version of the ipod touch.

I got the A series for 99.99 but like I said if I sell the earphones (which retail for £39.99 on amazon EX300) for about £25 on ebay I get it for even less. So that works out to be £59.99 for a good mp3 player with 16GB of storage. Plus I can its small size and the fact that I won't drain the battery of my iphone when on the move.

built in amp - i guess i worded it wrong. This Sony one has a S Master Digital amp which improves MP3 playback etc

noise cancelling - my wrong, they took out noise cancelling in the A series walkman, I thought it was built it like the old X series (but u wud need the compatible earphones)

I will rerip some of my mp3s as not all are in 320kbps. Thanks for the advice

btw I don't have Kylie CDs
User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by OnlyShallow » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :fp:
Fool Moron and his money. Again.
Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
Oh Teh Noes
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mina Murray
Location: HMS Camden Lock

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by Oh Teh Noes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:50 pm

lol m8 :lol:
Dr Cottle wrote:My favourite flavour of popsicle is DICK.

Image
St Nick is my bike thieving buddy brother :wub:
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:58 am

OnlyShallow wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :fp:
Fool Moron and his money. Again.

lets be serious. This was a worthy investment imo. As a music player its so much more than what my ipod is. Its got an equaliser that lets you adjust it on your own, not presets etc. Its just made for music.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/1237476652649/5/2
User avatar
Stugene
Member ♥
Joined in 2011
AKA: Handsome Man Stugene
Location: handsomemantown
Contact:

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by Stugene » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:12 am

You are a terrible troll.

"restore high frequencies lost during audio compression"
Image
Taint
User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by OnlyShallow » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:25 am

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
OnlyShallow wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :fp:
Fool Moron and his money. Again.

lets be serious. This was a worthy investment imo. As a music player its so much more than what my ipod is. Its got an equaliser that lets you adjust it on your own, not presets etc. Its just made for music.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/1237476652649/5/2

It's got an equaliser?! Oh that changes everything.

:fp: It's like the 80's all over again.

Quick question for you. When Michael Jackson was creating his album do you think he listened to the end product and said to himself "Actually, those levels are a bit gooseberry fool, but you know what, people will be able to tweak it into a better sound using the graphic equalisers on their walkmans."?

So when you mess about with the graphic equaliser when listening to MJ, what you are in effect doing is ruining his vision of how it should sound.

Also, MP3s compress the music. When you make an MP3 it strips out whole parts. No amount of electronic guesswork can bring that back. Think of a pixelated photograph, you know what it might look like if it wasn't pixelated but you will never get all the detail.
Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
Fizheuer Zieheuer
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by Fizheuer Zieheuer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:36 am

i know a fool and his money are easily parted, but why are you guys giving #1fff so much gooseberry fool? tis the season to be merry, have a beer and lay the strawberry float off
User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by OnlyShallow » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:00 am

Good to see the GRcade's resident white knight is not resting for christmas. :roll:

Maybe because he regularly asks people for advice, he then gets given good advice, he then totally disregards it and does the opposite. It tends to annoy the strawberry float out of people.

As do you, with your constant, unnecessary, white knighting.
Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
Fizheuer Zieheuer
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is it worth buying a Sony Walkman MP3 player?
by Fizheuer Zieheuer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:02 am

call it white knighting if you will, but in the wise words of ray smuckles no one should be a cock to a stranger, ever!

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests