The Musicians Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
It'sNotLupus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Musicians Thread
by It'sNotLupus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:07 pm

I had the honour of seeing this guy live the other day:
Tosin Abasi

For my money, the best guitarist I have ever seen play live. And I've seen quite a few.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 pm

I'll be receiving a Line 6 POD X3 tomorrow :D

I bought a line 6 UX1 for recording on my mac via garageband etc, then fully got the bug for amp modelling. I sing and play guitar so apparently the X3 can process vocals and guitars with their own bank of effects etc and output each to a seperate amp! This pretty much means i can start to play live again :wub:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Cal
Joined in 2008

by Cal » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Anyway, here's my latest feeble effort - 'Leaving Simla'

A track heavily influenced by the likes of Enigma, Deep Forest, etc. I call it 'fourth world' music - a mixture of eastern and western musical influences. Recorded with Reaper software and mastered with Slate Digital vsti. You might like, you might not.

Go to track: http://snd.sc/ofHjUN
(streams off SoundCloud, but you can also download if you wish)

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostThe Musicians Thread
by Buffalo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Did I ever show you my new drums?

Started gigging in a covers band, had a gig in a marquee today, lovely.

Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Re: The Musicians Thread
by Green Gecko » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Ad7 wrote:I'll be receiving a Line 6 POD X3 tomorrow :D

I bought a line 6 UX1 for recording on my mac via garageband etc, then fully got the bug for amp modelling. I sing and play guitar so apparently the X3 can process vocals and guitars with their own bank of effects etc and output each to a seperate amp! This pretty much means i can start to play live again :wub:

Tbh I would never willingly rely on a computerised live rig unless I had a lot of setup time and no other way of doing the same thing.

Seems I'm starting to pull off villa lobos' choro no. 1. Requires demon left hand chord changes.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

"It should be common sense to just accept the message Nintendo are sending out through their actions."

❤ btw GRcade costs money and depends on donations - please support one of the UK's oldest video gaming forums → HOW TO DONATE
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Re: The Musicians Thread
by Victor Mildew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 am

Green Gecko wrote:Tbh I would never willingly rely on a computerised live rig unless I had a lot of setup time and no other way of doing the same thing.

To clarify, i meant playing with my drummer for practice more than actual gigging (although thats the ultimate goal, i miss it so much). I plan on working through each of my songs and saving my perfect rig and vocal settings for each on so its a case of move to the next bank on each tune.

Hesk
Joined in 2008

by Hesk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Buffalo wrote:Did I ever show you my new drums?

Started gigging in a covers band, had a gig in a marquee today, lovely.

Sweet. What model is it?

I went a bit mental with my drum set up a bit ago and just did the whole lot up and customised everything on it to suit my needs (posted these in the Creative Corner thread a while back) -

It's literally the most comfortable set up I've ever had.

CaptainCalcium
Joined in 2011

by CaptainCalcium » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Thats a really nice kit, pretty much the same I play in the studio (minus a few cymbals, I only usually play one crash/ride and a nice 12" flash china). I always have to have my rack tom directly in front of my snare though.

Like a reset button on our lives, like hands of God, just dusting off the blackboard...
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostThe Musicians Thread
by Buffalo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Cheers guys. It's a Pearl Vision VBX. I got the extra 10 inch tom for use in more poppier songs, and I begin fills with my left hand usually, so it's nice to have something extra over there. My favourite bit is the natural wood finish on the bass drum rim, adds a lot to the look.

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Finally mine. 8-)

£780 :(

Something Fishy

by Something Fishy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Cool thread.

My 40th birthday pressie back in May was a Martin OM Davey Graham. It's lovely.

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Gu ... 460-80.jpg

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:06 am

Regarding drums, my mate from my old band had two complete pearl drumkits mixed together! It was completely unnecessary and took about an hour to set up each time but looked the business 8-)

God damn the Pod X3 is good! I've got blistered fingers from playing it 3 hours straight yesterday

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Is there any good, easy to use (for the beat retarded), preferably freeware, drum programming applications?

Or cheap programs for the above?

LewisD
#grcadesangle
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD

by LewisD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 pm

smurphy
Joined in 2008

by smurphy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Ordered lighter machine heads for my bass. £30 for a set, pretty good value! Today the single machine head turned up.

£120 for a set. strawberry float. That.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:55 pm

"If I were to buy a guitar, I'd buy it from LewisD."

-Oblomov Boblomov, 1st Sept 2011

Exxy
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

by Exxy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Decided to make some kind of effort to learn my guitar I bought as a youngun, it's a piece of gooseberry fool electric but whatever. Haven't got a lead to plug into my amp anymore either :fp: or any picks :fp:

Not sure where to start though really, I might look into lessons if I feel like I'm into it enough. Any books or starting points people can point me in the direction of?

EDIT: Also, where to buy lead and picks? What's that place Lewis works for?

smurphy
Joined in 2008

by smurphy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:47 pm

You will find a lead and picks in your local guitar shop.

The best way to learn is to pick songs that you know and sound easy (or have easy parts), and find tabs for them. I use(d to use, before I learnt by ear) this site. Find a cracked Guitar Pro somewhere, it's awesome. Then learn the easy bits, struggle with the hard bits. Have fun, learn more songs, get better, realise you can play the harder bits, start picking harder songs etc.

Try to keep your playing varied, too. When I started I tended to focus on single-note, pick based riffy songs. Subsequently I was (still am a bit) gooseberry fool at chords. Try things like finger picking as well, it's well fun. After playing a different style you'll notice an improvement in your regular playing, too.

The most important part is to have fun, if it's not fun you will not stick with it. Make sure to play with an amp, this was one of my killer mistakes. You end up playing way too hard so you can hear yourself. Especially fatal when I was first learning bass, I'm only getting over that today, years later. Play out loud along to the songs as well. You're tone might be awful, but it's still fun. Helps with your rhythm too, another big mistake of mine. Playing parts solo I always ended up going way, way too fast.

Pred
Joined in 2008

by Pred » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 pm

smurphy wrote:Find a cracked Guitar Pro somewhere, it's awesome.

Where could I find such a thing? Torrents?

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 pm

I have a legit version of Guitar Pro and it always seems to crash, rather annoyingly. It is pretty good, but it's important to work things out by ear as well.

Return to “Stuff”