PostRe: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
by Photek » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Performance mode in this is amazing.

Ad7
Joined in 2009

by Ad7 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:52 am

moar:

I finished a long quest line last night, the one to find the bloody baron's family and it had a really dark outcome (in the end you find him hanging from a tree having topped himself). The game then told me all the decisions i'd made up to then which lead to that moment :dread: It's great that it does that and was really unexpected as i'm used to bethesda games having no meaningful consequence to anything, but it does mean i've got to actually start thinking my actions through.

Yeah sure, unleash this evil tree thing in to a horse to murder everyone, what could go wrong? :lol:

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:27 am

I’ve forgotten so much about this game, just need to finish the second DLC then gonna play NG+ this time while playing gwent.

Ad7
Joined in 2009

by Ad7 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Novigrad :o

Damn this really feels like a real place, it's so well done.

Brerlappin
Joined in 2008

by Brerlappin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Ad7 wrote:Image

moar:

I finished a long quest line last night, the one to find the bloody baron's family and it had a really dark outcome (in the end you find him hanging from a tree having topped himself). The game then told me all the decisions i'd made up to then which lead to that moment :dread: It's great that it does that and was really unexpected as i'm used to bethesda games having no meaningful consequence to anything, but it does mean i've got to actually start thinking my actions through.

Yeah sure, unleash this evil tree thing in to a horse to murder everyone, what could go wrong? :lol:

As much as I liked the game, I found that to be the high point of the game as far as quests go. Nothing else was as branching or had as many interesting outcomes. I'm currently playing Witcher 2, gonna finish that and then do W3 and DLC.

SugarDave
Joined in 2008

by SugarDave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Ad7 wrote:Novigrad :o

Damn this really feels like a real place, it's so well done.

Walking into that city is one of my favourite moments in any game.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Yeah Novigrad is a stunning achievement, as are most of the towns and villages in the game.

It's kind of embarrassing what other games think they can get away with for their populated areas in a post-Witcher 3 world, some of the smallest villages in this game put the main "cities" in a Bethesda RPG to shame.

ImageImage
Meep
Joined in 2010

by Meep » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm

The Witcher 3 is one of the few games where I will enter a city or town and choose to make my character walk or my horse trot rather than run just to soak in the experience.

Ad7
Joined in 2009

by Ad7 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:24 pm

:datass:

Spoliering for the benefit of newer players below.

Last edited by Ad7 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brerlappin
Joined in 2008

by Brerlappin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am

Finally finished my Witcher 2 vs 2017 video. When I was playing W2 I just couldn't help but compare it to games from 2017 and in almost every respect, Witcher 2 came out the better.

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Brerlappin wrote:Finally finished my Witcher 2 vs 2017 video. When I was playing W2 I just couldn't help but compare it to games from 2017 and in almost every respect, Witcher 2 came out the better.

Not a bad video and some genuinely funny descriptions but you picked on Andromeda for cut scenes and animation, Unity on bugs and Shadow of Wars loot system....I mean, most games compared to those are going to come out on top in those situations.

Lots of quests in Fallout 4 have different endings depending on choices but not main quest lines I suppose... still a little misleading.

Do you think 2 is better than Witcher 3?

Brerlappin
Joined in 2008

by Brerlappin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Photek wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Finally finished my Witcher 2 vs 2017 video. When I was playing W2 I just couldn't help but compare it to games from 2017 and in almost every respect, Witcher 2 came out the better.

Not a bad video and some genuinely funny descriptions but you picked on Andromeda for cut scenes and animation, Unity on bugs and Shadow of Wars loot system....I mean, most games compared to those are going to come out on top in those situations.

Lots of quests in Fallout 4 have different endings depending on choices but not main quest lines I suppose... still a little misleading.

Do you think 2 is better than Witcher 3?

Well at first it was just a straight graphics comparison. I had compared it to Nier, PUBG, and stuff, but then thought that was a little unfair as they are low budget titles. But the more i thought about it i realized how much better W2 is in terms of being bug free, lootbox free, better looking, more varied and nuanced quests etc etc than those games. Yeah its low hanging fruit in terms of the shitshow that is andromeda but still, any chance to stick the knife in those games eh :lol:

Witcher 2 i think has a better story, and is more focused than Witcher 3. But no denying Witcher 3 is a better game.

Brerlappin
Joined in 2008

by Brerlappin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm

dp

Last edited by Brerlappin on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ad7
Joined in 2009

by Ad7 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Just met Whoreson Junior, who appears to be Jeofrey in all but name :dread:

Brerlappin
Joined in 2008

by Brerlappin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Nvidia Ansel is amazing in this. Photo mode with ridiculous on the fly downampling and camera effects. This was a 15k image. It was 50MB in size until I shrunk it to 1440p :lol:

Brerlappin
Joined in 2008

by Brerlappin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Loving this game right now. Really enjoying it, even moreso than when i played it on launch

gamerforever
Joined in 2010

by gamerforever » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 pm

The patches have completely changed this game. Best of this generation? Possibly!

Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Got to my first city the other day, Oxenfurt, I believe. Unfortunately my FPS did drop a bit too much for my liking but the game runs beautifully smooth in the wilderness so I'm loath to reduce my settings. Perhaps lowering the population will help but I really liked having busy, crowded streets. The town blew me away though. So much detail and incredibly well designed. I took my time walking down all the streets and just soaked in all the atmosphere from the performing bards in the town square to the small barbers further along. After 15 hours spent in the wilderness and tiny settlements, entering a town for the first time was just breathtaking. One of the best moments I've ever had in a game, period.

Last edited by Tragic Magic on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tafdolphin
Joined in 2008

by Tafdolphin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

I absolutely agree, and you're in for a strawberry floating treat when you get to Novigrad which is GTA levels of immersive.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
Ad7
Joined in 2009

by Ad7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Novigrad is a strawberry floating amazing achievement.

Just fired this up for the first time in what feels like months. Was by some lighthouse where I'd just nailed triss and saw a little ruin off on a coastal edge. Went and got a boat, sailed over and ended up lowering a drawbridge, then going to the top and slaying a wyvern 8-) Also discovered that you can one hit kill those swimming bastard underwater with the crossbow. I spotted another ruin nearby so went towards that and got attacked by a swarm of harpies, which I promptly blasted out of the air and finished them of on the ground. While killing them I spotted a much bigger dragon thing beginning with B down by the water, so I went and killed that off.

All unmarked stuff and a great hour of gameplay unique to me. Such a great game.

Oh I also stumbled on crafting stronger mutegens out of lesser ones, so now my red and blue trees have big bonus damage attached to them.

I've got so much more game to play, still in the area with novigrad at 45 hours. Got to be a good 500 hours in this with all the DLC too.

Also now there's a few of us playing and at different points, can we spoiler box images from now on please? I'm going back and hiding all mine.

Return to “Games”