Gaming magazines - Do you still buy them and, if so, what and how?

Anything to do with games at all.

Do you buy gaming magazines?

Yes - Paper
34%
Yes - Digital (iPad/Android)
6%
No
60%

Total votes: 47
Rapidly-Greying
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gaming magazines - Do you still buy them and, if so, what and how?
by Rapidly-Greying » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Rapidly-greying is SHITE at games
jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:34 am

I did some digging and there's are plenty of printing options for reasonable prices. I'm probably leaning towards a smaller, A5 design at maybe 32 pages, all-colour.

But... realisation of the workload is setting in. It'd be quite a task to create and, realistically, I should devote that time to getting into real work rather than putting the energy into such a sideline. I like the idea and I think there is potential in it, but I'm not certain that this is the right moment to spend time on it.

Rapidly-Greying
Joined in 2008

by Rapidly-Greying » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:17 am

jawafour wrote:I did some digging and there's are plenty of printing options for reasonable prices. I'm probably leaning towards a smaller, A5 design at maybe 32 pages, all-colour.

But... realisation of the workload is setting in. It'd be quite a task to create and, realistically, I should devote that time to getting into real work rather than putting the energy into such a sideline. I like the idea and I think there is potential in it, but I'm not certain that this is the right moment to spend time on it.

strawberry float real work. Geek it out home boy.

Rapidly-greying is SHITE at games
Ad7
Joined in 2009

by Ad7 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm

jawafour wrote:I did some digging and there's are plenty of printing options for reasonable prices. I'm probably leaning towards a smaller, A5 design at maybe 32 pages, all-colour.

A great idea Jawa, but just a warning (as someone who does this sort of thing day in day out) that it's a LOT of work, even just as a fan level project. You need to make sure it's made properly (so InDesign for the bulk of the layout, Photoshop ONLY for editing the images). You'll need someone to decided on the look and feel, set up the style sheets properly, someone to proof it and so on. What you think might take a week or so could end up taking months. Saying that, I'll happily help out if you do go ahead with it.

Maybe it could be a print only thing for a while, and set up a threshold of copies needed to make a print run viable. So say you need to wait until 30 people buy in. After that, maybe it could be a free download or something.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Ad7 wrote:A great idea Jawa, but just a warning (as someone who does this sort of thing day in day out) that it's a LOT of work, even just as a fan level project...

Thanks, man - yeah, it is the time commitment that is deterring me from actually doing this. Back in the early 2000s I produced around a dozen issues of a mini-mag (each circa twenty pages) at work and I spent a ton of time on each one; the layout and formatting does take a lot of work to make the pages attractive. I *like* that kind of work but I really need to put that sorta effort into getting my ass into a job rather than making a gaming mag... however much I may want to. Never say never but, upon reflection, I don't think now is the right time.

kerr9000
Joined in 2013

by kerr9000 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 pm

if you ever did want to do it jawa id be more than happy to help

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:42 am

Get Pell to be Editor.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRakoon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:05 am

jawafour wrote:Hmmn... it seems that there could be some appetite for a "special", one-off GRcade mag. Of course, we could feature some SONM aspects in it, too.

We actually had a really well put together digital fanzine on (S)ONM, you can check out all four issues here (although having a look the link to issue one seems to be broken now).

Direct link to the final issue

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:We actually had a really well put together digital fanzine on (S)ONM...

That looked like a fun mag, Orange - thanks for sharing. With tech today it's amazing how folk can put together a pretty pro-looking magazine :) .

Ad7
Joined in 2009

by Ad7 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Just Photoshop innit m8

Return to “Games”