Metroid Appreciation Thread - Come Inside and Talk About All Things Metroid

Anything to do with games at all.
Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

PostRe: Metroid Appreciation Thread - Metroid 30th Birthday and Metroid 2 Remake on Page 15
by Johnny Ryall » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 am

Yeah I'm already getting used to small movements and I'm already further than I was in my GameCube save. This and disenchantment is gonna be my weekend! Excellent!

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Metroid Appreciation Thread - Metroid 30th Birthday and Metroid 2 Remake on Page 15
by Johnny Ryall » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Just got as far as getting the varia suit in MP1, this seems like a Very Good Videogame, looks great at 3x internal res with anti aliasing and all that gooseberry fool as well.

Has anyone bothered beating Other M out of morbid curiosity? I watched a video critique of it and it looks like it makes samus into a submissive which wtf like. Maybe after I clear this trilogy for completions sake.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:Just got as far as getting the varia suit in MP1, this seems like a Very Good Videogame, looks great at 3x internal res with anti aliasing and all that gooseberry fool as well.

Has anyone bothered beating Other M out of morbid curiosity? I watched a video critique of it and it looks like it makes samus into a submissive which wtf like. Maybe after I clear this trilogy for completions sake.

I genuinely enjoyed Other M.

Yes there are issues with the characterisation and story, and it's a tad more linear than most, but the gameplay is decent enough. It's an interesting attempt to take the 2D style games into 3D.

It doesn't deserve the reputation it's got and it's well worth playing if you enjoy Metroid.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 pm

To offer an alternative view - Other M is shite.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008

by Johnny Ryall » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Both compelling arguments.

If I do try it it won't be until I finish all 3 primes.

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008

by Johnny Ryall » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:22 am

Really enjoying Metroid Prime, only complaint and it may be me being blind in all honesty but it seems really stingy with save rooms? Beat that Thardus boss thinking I'd save after and go to bed instead wander around for ages after until I make it back to my ship.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:30 am

There's a save room a couple of rooms away from Thardus' entrance, IIRC, accessible from the top of the tall room with the variable water levels and the flying pirates.

I don't know if you can access that room easily after you beat that boss though. Been a long, long time since I played it.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:01 am

Johnny Ryall wrote:Really enjoying Metroid Prime, only complaint and it may be me being blind in all honesty but it seems really stingy with save rooms? Beat that Thardus boss thinking I'd save after and go to bed instead wander around for ages after until I make it back to my ship.

Never really had this complaint with MP1. It's usually pretty good in this regard.

Johnny Ryall wrote:Just got as far as getting the varia suit in MP1, this seems like a Very Good Videogame, looks great at 3x internal res with anti aliasing and all that gooseberry fool as well.

I honestly didn't mind the gameplay in Other M. The story is kind of stupid. I beat it anyway, I enjoyed it, but it's nowhere near the level of the Prime games.

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008

by Johnny Ryall » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:44 pm

I am mad at myself for leaving metroid prime this long. Just got the gravity suit

On my week off since last Sunday I have finished:

Samus Returns
AM2R
Zero Mission
Fusion

And a lil Super too

Best Nintendo series

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Played a bit of Samus Returns today, polished a couple more Metroids off, then came across the third form. Didn't end well for me! :slol: Only died once though.

Varia Suit & High Jump Boots get though. :toot:

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:16 am

Johnny Ryall wrote:Really enjoying Metroid Prime, only complaint and it may be me being blind in all honesty but it seems really stingy with save rooms? Beat that Thardus boss thinking I'd save after and go to bed instead wander around for ages after until I make it back to my ship.

I had this gripe very occasionally with Echoes, but not Prime.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008

by Johnny Ryall » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:17 am

I find I got lost a LOT more in prime than 2D metroid, maybe it's muscle memory from playing them or the extra dimension throwing me off but I do a lot of running in circles, still brilliant and looks like hot gooseberry fool on dolphin.

Just at the mines now.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm progressing nicely with Echoes. Just reached the Sanctuary Fortress area, which is a nice change of pace from the earlier, more natural settings.

I've gotten further now than I did in my original playthrough all those years ago. Looking forward to seeing more of this area.

Hypes
Joined in 2009

by Hypes » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 am

Johnny Ryall wrote:Holy smokes the SAX boss is way harder than I remember. Fusion may be linear but its bosses don't strawberry float around. I wish I hunted out more E tanks now.

Yeah, when I played it when it first came out I could just not defeat it. Bastard hard. Eventually completed it a couple of years ago and killed that bugger :datass:

Hypes
Joined in 2009

by Hypes » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:23 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:

I genuinely enjoyed Other M.

Yes there are issues with the characterisation and story, and it's a tad more linear than most, but the gameplay is decent enough. It's an interesting attempt to take the 2D style games into 3D.

It doesn't deserve the reputation it's got and it's well worth playing if you enjoy Metroid.

Pretty much this. It's got some really quite annoying gameplay elements that pop up once in a while and the story is bad but overall it's a decent enough game

The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

by The Watching Artist » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 am

This thread inspired me to finally play Samus Returns. I just got the spring jump.

I like it a lot but I'm dying waaaaay more then I'm used to. Even compared to most Metroid games (I dont include the first one because if I think about that then nightmares might start again :dread:) I'm sure it's tricky but I'm also struggling a bit with the controls. I dunno why really.

I like the scan pulse but wonder if maybe it should have been held back till later on. :?:

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:53 am

Gonna try Samus Returns on Citra once I finish the Prime games I think.

After that I've just got Hunters in the DS and the original NES game to beat (Not including Pinball and Federation Force).

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:00 am

Has it all gone a bit quiet in terms of Metroid Prime 4 news? I thought I'd read it was due in late 2018. That's obviously not the case. 2019, then?

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:02 am

Yeah nothing been heard in a while. 2018 was always a bit of a stretch I felt. Can't wait for it though. Finally getting an HD Metroid game with more modern graphical bells and whistles is going to be sweet.

The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

by The Watching Artist » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:49 am

Nearing the end of Samus Returns. Just 6 Metroids left to hunt and mercilessly kill.

Man I feel like a total badass now. Just collected a bunch of power ups and abilities and such pooooooooower. Been a long time since a game has really made me feel this boss. Yet it still keeps me on my toes when the Metroids appear. The slow mo power is cool. I can use it during fights to give me more time to yank the evolved Metroids off the ceiling with the grapple beam. :datass:

It took a while to get my hands and brains to get to grips with the controls. I dunno why but its clicked now and I dont think Samus has ever controlled better. All the elements have just come together. :wub:

Return to “Games”