No Man's Sky - Switch release due on 7th October

Anything to do with games at all.
captain red dog
Joined in 2008

PostRe: No Man's Sky - MP/Co-operative play confirmed for next big update
by captain red dog » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:20 am

Rex Kramer wrote:I think I need to get back into this again. Is starting a new game the way to go? I've not played it for at least the last 2 expansions/updates so there are probably some significant changes (think the last one I remember was capital ships??).

I'd go with starting again. The tutorial now is semi decent. I started again after the buildings update and couldn't really work out what to do, but now it breaks it down into really simple steps.

There is so much new stuff, it's worth doing the tutorial missions.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 am

Last night I loaded up the new game I started on Tuesday and my spaceship had completely vanished :lol: Luckily that was an auto save and I had a manual save from 40 minutes before so it wasn’t too bad.

Saw on reddit that when your flying with the pulse engine to a location on the other side of the planet you fly around the planets curve which didn’t happen before. You had to constantly keep stopping to realign yourself or just go in to space and briefly warp around it. So much easier now.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Ad7 wrote:Jawa the intergalactic womble :lol:

:lol: .

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Is it still a thing for certain animals to be infuriatingly hard to find? As in, you're looking around and you only see them every 40 minutes or so but they're flying and won't stop so you can't get a bead on them to scan them.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:...As in, you're looking around and you only see them every 40 minutes or so but they're flying and won't stop so you can't get a bead on them to scan them.

When the game originally launched it was tough / impossible to scan flying creatures, but in an update this became much easier.

Playing the NEXT update, I am wondering if the difficulty has returned. On my starting planet there were some birds and I couldn't scan them. I don't know if I need to upgrade the scanner, though.

imbusydoctorwho
Joined in 2018

by imbusydoctorwho » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Tried the game yesterday and started with a new save, I never remembered the game was this harsh at the beginning.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:55 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:Tried the game yesterday and started with a new save, I never remembered the game was this harsh at the beginning.

I think it's because the opening planet can have harsher elements than was the case at launch; and you're pretty much chucked in at the deep end. Give things time, get to know the ropes and you'll get by, though. It's crucial in those early stages to closely look at the goals / tips in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

- - - - - - - - - -

twitter.com/jawa4_2/status/1022464140194078720

I'm quickly growing to re-love this game.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:18 pm

twitter.com/jawa4_2/status/1022470415468380161

Can I vote for NMS in the GRcade 2018 GOTY awards?

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:30 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:Bought this about a year ago, kept meaning to get around to it, but once we got word of NEXT, I decided to hold off, so finally got to try it last night.

It's pretty unforgiving at the start! Kept dying due to radiation/toxicity before I even knew what was going on. Reached the point now where my ship is fixed up and ready to go into space, but I want to hang about a bit and gather more resources before leaving. Can I fly around the planet in my ship, or would taking off just start a sequence where I jump to another? I can see some resource deposits but at the moment they're too far to walk to and get back to my ship before my environmental protection depletes.

I started exploring caves a bit more, kept coming across vortex cubes so built up around 800,000 credits mostly from selling those and stacks of mined cobalt, along with a few artifacts, although I forced myself to stop hoarding and also sold off anything that wasn't frequently needed to refuel something I use a lot. Followed the story line to leave the planet and follow the distress signal. The second planet is much nicer, no environmental protection needed. Got the terrain manipulation add-on and it's so much fun. Dug myself a cave to shelter from a storm!

I think I'm just going to follow the story a bit more so things open up.

captain red dog
Joined in 2008

by captain red dog » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:Tried the game yesterday and started with a new save, I never remembered the game was this harsh at the beginning.

I think that's a bit of an illusion as it takes a while to fix up the ship whilst balancing it with other resource management. But once you get into the swing of it, checking regularly for oxygen and sodium plants, exploring is as easy as before.

In some ways the resource management is still a slight chore, but they have now got it to the right sort of balance now.

Rightey
Joined in 2008

by Rightey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:06 pm

Is there a reason why fighting is so absolutely horrible in this? It feels like I'm flying a space shopping cart that's been weighed with a fridge. I'm using an explorer class ship now, and basically any sort of encounter with hostiles is a death sentence. Am I doing something wrong?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Rightey
Joined in 2008

by Rightey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:55 am

I am now the proud captain of a freighter, and a frigate! :toot:

I don't really think it's that much of a spoiler but I will hide how it happened in case anyone wants the surprise

I answered a distress call from a ship that was under attack and after the battle the captain invited me on board and after talking to me put me in charge.

Now how the hell do I do anything with it?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Fade
Joined in 2011

by Fade » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:38 am

Rightey wrote:I am now the proud captain of a freighter, and a frigate! :toot:

I don't really think it's that much of a spoiler but I will hide how it happened in case anyone wants the surprise

I answered a distress call from a ship that was under attack and after the battle the captain invited me on board and after talking to me put me in charge.

Wow, that captain is a bit of a bitch :lol:

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:49 am

I picked this up after reading the positive press, and it's pretty cool.

I started on a frost planet where the ambient temperature was -52C and nearly died of frost and robot attacks in the first 5 minutes.

I got myself up to speed on the systems and learned that sodium plants were my best mate on Hoth.

I then discovered a radiation planet nearby, before returning to Hoth to do some more main quest stuff.

Does anyone have advice on building bases?

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
captain red dog
Joined in 2008

by captain red dog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:49 am

Winckle wrote:Does anyone have advice on building bases?

I think one of the early tutorial quests teaches you the basics. My advice is to go off exploring and build it away from your ship as like a middle ground safe house.

Just make sure you keep some launch fuel in your ship to save from having a long hike back.

Rightey
Joined in 2008

by Rightey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:50 am

Fade wrote:
Rightey wrote:I am now the proud captain of a freighter, and a frigate! :toot:

Wow, that captain is a bit of a bitch :lol:

Yeah I read a bit about it and it seems like normally after an attack the captain will offer you their freighter at a discount, but this guy just gave it to me for free along with a frigate as well. :toot:

However some more pirates attacked and I accidentally shot my own freighter and now they've locked me out! :fp:

Does anyone know how long before they let me back in?

gamerforever
Joined in 2010

by gamerforever » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 am

I do love how fresh and new the game feels, however the framerate has gone down a notch or two on the PS4 Pro and there does not seem to be an option to change framerate/ resolution settings anymore!

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 pm

A big new patch (v1.51) is out now for PC and PS4 and it will be available for Xbox shortly.
Bug fixes

Fixed an issue where players who saved after partially repairing some items of technology would be unable to load that savegame. Please note that if the game has not been resaved, then progress has not been lost and will be recovered.
Fixed a crash caused by memory corruption
Fixed a crash in the animation system
Fixed a crash when saving on a freighter
Fixed a crash when fleet expeditions end without their capital ship present
Fixed a number of memory leaks
Fixed an issue where warping in multiplayer could cause players to spawn on a planet rather than in space
Fixed an issue where freighter bases would be in the wrong position
Fixed an issue where the build menu could crash if there was nothing available to build
Fixed an issue where players would be unable to warp during the antimatter stage of the tutorial
Fixed an issue where the mission destination would be incorrectly reported as in another system at the Hermetic Seal phase of the tutorial
Fixed an issue where upgrade modules installed in the main Exosuit inventory would not be saved correctly.
Fixed an issue where portable refiners placed near each other would share inventories
Fixed an issue where the cockpit of some ships would continually open and close
Fixed an issue where new controls were missing from the controls page
Fixed a crash in creature routines
Fixed a crash when multiple players put ammunition into a refiner
Fix for occasional crash when receiving mission rewards
Fix for crash when adjusting anisotropic filtering settings in the graphics options menu
Fix for potential crash in geometry streaming
Improvements to texture caching for AMD GPUs
Fixed an issue where some players still had physical nanites in their inventory that could not be spent at vendors
Granted players nanites when they dismantle their Obsolete Technology – spend nanites on new upgrades in Space Stations
Added a tutorial mission to guide players through the restoration of their old base
Fixed an issue where players were unable to build Frigate Terminals in Creative Mode
Fixed an issue where S-Class ships changed appearance
Fixed an issue where players were unable to build the Base Cache on their freighter to retrieve compensation for the loss of their freighter base
Fixed an issue where some Exosuit technology was not converted to Obsolete Technology. Please note this does not apply retroactively to save games that have already been upgraded.
Improved the mapping of old substances to new substances during the save upgrade. Please note this does not apply retroactively to save games that have already been upgraded.

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

by Monkey Man » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Hello Games' transition to Xbox One hardware is otherwise a smooth one. Waiting has its benefits, and it means X owners in particular get the most richly featured version of No Man's Sky on day one of release. A true 60fps mode, at 1080p if needs be, would have been a plus here (assuming the CPU power is available) but those looking for a 4K showcase - with high dynamic range to boot - will be pleased with the results. Enthusiast forums have pointed out glitches and crashes remain - something we've yet to encounter in our first play-throughs - but clearly the Next update isn't the end of the road for this project. Even with its imperfections there's nothing else quite like it, and Xbox One users finally get to experience one of this generation's most fascinating titles.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... e-analysis

Rightey
Joined in 2008

by Rightey » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:35 am

It got offered a freighter for free again! Is this a common thing?

Also I bought another frigate (not the one pictured), but while looking through them I saw this... :lol:

Return to “Games”