Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Too

Anything to do with games at all.
Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Too
by Mafro » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 pm

lmao

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
Jazzem
Joined in 2008

by Jazzem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:37 pm

jawafour wrote:It is being reported that cloud saves through Nintendo Online are erased if you have a break in subscription. I guess Nintendo are trying to tie users into a continuous subscription. I know it's "only" £18 but I think this new charge will make me feel that "I begrudgingly pay it" rather than "this is really cool and so I'm happy to pay it".

This is bizarre! At the very least there should be a buffer so they're not wiped the day your subscription runs out.

As a point of comparison for Nintendo cloud service, I seem to remember Pokémon Bank would let you download uploaded Pokés post-subscription but wouldn't let you upload any. I've still got loads on there...or at least I think I have, gooseberry fool I should check I haven't lost like 600+ D:

Last edited by Jazzem on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRula
Joined in 2018

by DarkRula » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 pm

EA Access and Nintendo Switch Online are roughly the same price for a year.
Which offers the most value?

Pedz
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm

DarkRula wrote:EA Access and Nintendo Switch Online are roughly the same price for a year.
Which offers the most value?

One offers more.modern games, the other lets you play online. They're a little different.

Like EA Access with XBLG is losing a lot of the games features.

ImageImageImageImage.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Jazzem wrote:
jawafour wrote:It is being reported that cloud saves through Nintendo Online are erased if you have a break in subscription. I guess Nintendo are trying to tie users into a continuous subscription. I know it's "only" £18 but I think this new charge will make me feel that "I begrudgingly pay it" rather than "this is really cool and so I'm happy to pay it".

This is bizarre! At the very least there should be a buffer so they're not wiped the day your subscription runs out.

As a point of comparison for Nintendo cloud service, I seem to remember Pokémon Bank would let you download uploaded Pokés post-subscription but wouldn't let you upload any. I've still got loads on there...or at least I think I have, gooseberry fool I should check I haven't lost like 600+ D:

Wiping the data does some a bit ridiculous. I understand that if you stop paying you may not be able to access the data anymore, or certainly not be able to upload any changes, but to complete wipe it seems excessive!

ImageImage
Jazzem
Joined in 2008

by Jazzem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Jazzem wrote:

Wiping the data does some a bit ridiculous. I understand that if you stop paying you may not be able to access the data anymore, or certainly not be able to upload any changes, but to complete wipe it seems excessive!

Yeah, at the very least a grace period is needed! Maybe 90 days or something similar

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Eurogamer wrote:You'll need to connect your Nintendo Switch to the internet every seven days to keep playing your NES games.

The Virtual Console-style catalogue of retro classics comes as part of Nintendo Switch's upcoming online subscription. But you'll need to remember to connect at least every week in order to guarantee access - even if your subscription is a long way from expiring...

I can't quite believe this can be true :lol: . You have to logon every seven days otherwise you can't play the NES games anymore... even if your subscription hasn't expired?!?!

I refuse to believe this can be true but... if so... Nintendo, wtf?!?! :fp: :lol: .

Click for source.

Pedz
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 pm

jawafour wrote:
Eurogamer wrote:You'll need to connect your Nintendo Switch to the internet every seven days to keep playing your NES games.

The Virtual Console-style catalogue of retro classics comes as part of Nintendo Switch's upcoming online subscription. But you'll need to remember to connect at least every week in order to guarantee access - even if your subscription is a long way from expiring...

I can't quite believe this can be true :lol: . You have to logon every seven days otherwise you can't play the NES games anymore... even if your subscription hasn't expired?!?!

I refuse to believe this can be true but... if so... Nintendo, wtf?!?! :fp: :lol: .

Click for source.

If true Nintendo needs to strawberry float the strawberry float off with that gooseberry fool.

ImageImageImageImage.
jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:46 pm

^^^
The first comment in that Eurogamer article:

Malek86 wrote:Did they hire Don Mattrick and never told us?

:lol: :lol: :lol: .

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF

by Mafro » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:46 pm

lmao

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Mafro wrote:lmao

I gotta can say that I'm sat here laughing too :lol: . It's just... ridiculous :lol: . How can the management team have looked at that idea and then signed it off as something they should do? :lol: :fp: .

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 pm

The online is becoming a really hard sell the more we hear about it, I was hoping it'd be the complete opposite. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though!

PatSharpsMullet
Joined in 2008

by PatSharpsMullet » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 pm

On the Nintendo site it has this:
Q. Can Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online only be played where I have an active internet connection?

A. Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online can by played for up to seven days without an internet connection. If you are unable to launch Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, then please try connecting to the internet again.

To me, that suggests you can play the NES games offline for 7 days without an internet connection. To carry on playing them, you will need to connect to the internet again.

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Well yeah. But that doesn’t make it right.

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 pm

PatSharpsMullet wrote:...To me, that suggests you can play the NES games offline for 7 days without an internet connection. To carry on playing them, you will need to connect to the internet again.

Just seen that myself, PSM. I could understand that approach! Lets hope that Eurogamer has misinterpreted the situation :-) .

Jazzem
Joined in 2008

by Jazzem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Funny thing is it's somewhat reminiscent of the infamous Xbox One DRM that got dropped pre-launch, think that was proposed to be every 48 hours? Though with fairly generous sharing options if I remember correctly

At least this is a week, though aye is daft it can't just rely on internal clock. Isn't that how other systems do it for subscription services?

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Sounds like SNES will also be coming to the Switch Netflix-esq games catalog

The whole logging in thing doesn’t sound terrible, is it just the fact that you need to allow the Switch to connect to a WiFi connection at least once a week and that’s it?

The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

by The Watching Artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 pm

tbf it probably does need to periodically check you are still subscribed.

Pedz
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:50 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:tbf it probably does need to periodically check you are still subscribed.

Pretty sure it isn't needed on Xbox or PS4 to play your games. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

ImageImageImageImage.
Pedz
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm

I dunno, there was an uproar when MS were gonna do this with the Xbone and with that it had the benefit of sharing games across 10 family members even on different consoles. Yet people are like 'hey, it's cool, it's needed' when Nintendo do it. I just don't get it.

ImageImageImageImage.

Return to “Games”