Retro-Shooters - THE thread for classic FPS Chat/Mapping/Multiplayer - Wednesdays! (Aliens Vs Predator Classic)

Anything to do with games at all.
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Retro-Shooters - THE thread for classic FPS Chat/Mapping/Multiplayer - Tonight! (Daikatana - PC - Setup on pg37))
by Victor Mildew » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 pm

:lol:

Won't be a sec.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro-Shooters - THE thread for classic FPS Chat/Mapping/Multiplayer - Tonight! (Daikatana - PC - Setup on pg37))
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 pm

I really enjoyed that tonight. This is a game that had some ideas, especially with it's weapons.

Great fun. Looking forward to more next week!

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:50 pm

Yeah that was a good laugh! It's definitely a peculiar old game but there's some interesting ideas in there for sure.

Instakill mode was fun at the start but glad we got to check out some rounds with a bit more balance to them as well :lol:

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 pm

It was fun even though I was in the instant kill session.

RetroCora
Joined in 2022

by RetroCora » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:19 am

Apologies for taking up so much time with my inability to understand basic instructions, I promise I'll be better next week. :lol:

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 pm

I've had this game stuck in my head all day now. :lol:
What a bizarre little thing it is. So many great, ridiculous weapons as well.

https://daikatana.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Weapons - (Worth a look for some of the nuances of each weapon)

Nhare's Nightmare :wub:
Hade's Hammer :nod:

RetroCora wrote:Apologies for taking up so much time with my inability to understand basic instructions, I promise I'll be better next week. :lol:

I swear for a good five minutes or so I thought you were taking the piss and really committing to the bit. :slol:

Really glad you managed to work something out. Definitely recommend figuring out a way to get M&KB working for you though as you'll have a much better time. :D

aayl1
Sir Aaron of GRcade
Joined in 2008

by aayl1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 pm

I had fun once the insta kill session ended, making my slight lag disadvantage more manageable!

There's something to the combat of this for sure. It's fun desperately trying to dodge someone's meteors while you're sending out little zappy wisp things etc.

I don't hate the level up system but it feels a little superfluous. One upgrade point isn't really enough to make a difference but you don't get upgrade points too too often (if you're me). That said if you are maxed out (via the power ups) you can totally feel it. Full attack speed was very handy.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:34 pm

Yeah I was putting basically all of my points into attack which did make quite a difference at times.

Acrobatics was handy too. Max that out and you can do some insane jumps!

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:53 pm

I'll need to reasign the keys for the upgrades as I had them in a place that meant having to find a corner to hide in before changing things.

Looking forward to the non one hit kill evening.

RetroCora
Joined in 2022

by RetroCora » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:I've had this game stuck in my head all day now. :lol:

https://daikatana.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Weapons - (Worth a look for some of the nuances of each weapon)

RetroCora wrote:Apologies for taking up so much time with my inability to understand basic instructions, I promise I'll be better next week. :lol:

I swear for a good five minutes or so I thought you were taking the piss and really committing to the bit. :slol:

Really glad you managed to work something out. Definitely recommend figuring out a way to get M&KB working for you though as you'll have a much better time. :D

No I am just genuinely really not good at dealing with PC stuff, like really basic stuff. It's a minor miracle I ever managed to sort out a streaming set up.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:40 pm

Going back to Daikatana I'm really interested to explore the movement tech within it. I really got the impression that there was more to it just under the surface as you can really build up a nice flow of speed if you do it correctly. Combine that with the upgradeable Speed and Acrobatics skills and I think there's more there.

RetroCora wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:I've had this game stuck in my head all day now. :lol:

No I am just genuinely really not good at dealing with PC stuff, like really basic stuff. It's a minor miracle I ever managed to sort out a streaming set up.

:lol:

Keep playing the PC games with us each week and you'll pick it up in no time. Daikatana was a relatively simple one to get going, both on my end and for you guys, so it's a nice learning curve there.
If you want to see what we've already done and what's still to come check out the OP, I'm listing all the games there. I've thrown a few more games on there over time as well, based on suggestions and requests (I can't remember who requested Descent but as soon as I heard it I knew I'd be adding it on).
I might go back and list the page with the set up instructions for each game there as well actually.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Retro-Shooters - THE thread for classic FPS Chat/Mapping/Multiplayer - Wednesdays! (Daikatana - PC - Setup on pg37))
by Victor Mildew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:56 pm

It was I who suggested Descent.

You can all thank me later :datass:

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro-Shooters - THE thread for classic FPS Chat/Mapping/Multiplayer - Wednesdays! (Daikatana - PC - Setup on pg37))
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:02 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:It was I who suggested Descent.

You can all thank me later :datass:

So it was.

Blame Victor for any issues with that one then folks. :lol:

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 pm

Get ready for 6 degrees of bullshit! :toot:

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 pm

6 degrees of your strawberry floating faces.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 am

I really enjoyed Descent back in the day, but never played any multiplayer - I don't think I was aware that it even had a multiplayer mode!

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 am

Jenuall wrote:I really enjoyed Descent back in the day, but never played any multiplayer - I don't think I was aware that it even had a multiplayer mode!

We used to play it with the two playstations linked up. Tvs back to back, and it was this brilliant game of cat and mouse trying to hunt each other down. So cool getting a cloaking device and trying to sneak up on the other player for a killing shot :datass:

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:03 am

Victor Mildew wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I really enjoyed Descent back in the day, but never played any multiplayer - I don't think I was aware that it even had a multiplayer mode!

We used to play it with the two playstations linked up. Tvs back to back, and it was this brilliant game of cat and mouse trying to hunt each other down. So cool getting a cloaking device and trying to sneak up on the other player for a killing shot :datass:

Nice. Sounds great fun. I only ever dabbled in the single-player but I really enjoyed what I played.

Definitely one to get to soon I think. Then I can throw Descent II on the list as well. :lol:

EDIT: Potentially could do Forsaken as well if we have fun with Descent.

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:37 pm

I saw that the other day. Utterly insane how quick the run is and how long that record had stood for.

Return to “Games”